Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bregan Daerthe
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  12:24:40  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do anyone know anything about Drow Mercenary organization,Bregan Daerthe?Especially what does Bregan Daerthe mean?

sabre

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  16:27:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bregan D'aerthe translates loosely as, "mercenary society of rogue drow".

It is one of the most well equipped and most respected drow organisations in Menzoberranzan. It is stated that the organisation is classed as "unlawful" even by the standards of the drow, which should be of particular note. Of interest also, is the assassin band's close links with House Baerne and that most of the unit's operations and involvement in many of the most prominent House disputes in recent Menzoberranzan history has been orchestrated by the organisation's charismatic leader, Jarlaxle.

The unit has over 150 members, most of which are young male drow. There's some speculation that many, if not most of these 150 males, are nobles of various fallen drow Houses in the City of Spiders.

They are mostly trained as fighters, and sometimes also as rogues. However, the Art does have it's place within the organisation, in the hands of several masterful drow wizards.

It's also said that Bregan D'aerthe operate completely inside the City of Spiders, and only venture into the outer reaches, or even beyond, with the unspoken consent of the First Matron Mother of the First Noble House.

For more details, I suggest you consult the various 2e FR tomes that deal with the drow, as well as many of RAS novels that deal with Drizzt and the Companions of the Hall... most of which have had their fair share of dealing with the mercenary band.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  20:37:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, after the events of Servant of the Shard, Jarlaxle isn't the only leader of Bregan D'Arthe. Kimmuriel Oblodran, the psionicist, is now the co-leader of the band while Jarlaxle is travelling on the surface with Artemis.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  04:54:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sage, after the events of Servant of the Shard, Jarlaxle isn't the only leader of Bregan D'Arthe. Kimmuriel Oblodran, the psionicist, is now the co-leader of the band while Jarlaxle is travelling on the surface with Artemis.

Well now... you can't expect us Great Readers to remember every single specific detail... After all, that's why Alaundo has assigned us each a small staff of Senior Scribes whose duty it is to cover any and all details that we miss...

I'm just kidding DDH... I'd actually forgotten Oblodran . Which is strange in itself, because Servant of the Shard is one of my favorites of the various RAS novels...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  06:03:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm just kidding DDH... I'd actually forgotten Oblodran . Which is strange in itself, because Servant of the Shard is one of my favorites of the various RAS novels...

The senility is running rampant!

Seriously, Servant of the Shard is my fave RAS novel. Not only did it not focus on the scimitar-weilding angsty guy, it shifted to the far more intriguing interplay between Jarlaxle (one of my fave Realms characters), Artemis Entreri (it's nice to see him in a role other than "must kill Drizzt!"), and Crenshenibon. It was a wonderful break from the norm, and I can only hope to see more of their tale.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  06:28:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a new Arty/Jarlaxle story in the 2nd Best of the Realms book?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  07:43:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Isn't there a new Arty/Jarlaxle story in the 2nd Best of the Realms book?

Realms of the Dragons you mean.......? Then yes if so. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2004 :  20:44:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  01:49:44  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See I had thought that Bregan Daerthe was more far reaching than just Menzoberranzan.In WoTSQ when Valas met up with a contact in Ched Nasad.Well not necessarily a mutual contact.It was more of a help me,or you will pay the price deal.I'm just using that as an example.Meaning that I always thought that on the surface Bregan Daerthe showed that they were obedient to House Baenre,but in reality they just being careful to further their own plans.Now what those plans are,are still up in the air with Jarlaxle on the surface.So with Kimmuriel(I think)and Jarlaxle on the surface.I think they are expanding big time,and no longer will they bow to House Baenre's demands.

Well that is just my hope.I think they are a kick a$$ group,with a great leader,that shouldn't be controlled by any house.

Also something that I have thought about.Why didn't Jarlaxle go back to take advantage of the absence of Lolth??He had to have known what was going on right?I guess I would have to ask RAS that,but I am just asking for theories.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  04:59:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

See I had thought that Bregan Daerthe was more far reaching than just Menzoberranzan.In WoTSQ when Valas met up with a contact in Ched Nasad.Well not necessarily a mutual contact.It was more of a help me,or you will pay the price deal.I'm just using that as an example.Meaning that I always thought that on the surface Bregan Daerthe showed that they were obedient to House Baenre,but in reality they just being careful to further their own plans.Now what those plans are,are still up in the air with Jarlaxle on the surface.So with Kimmuriel(I think)and Jarlaxle on the surface.I think they are expanding big time,and no longer will they bow to House Baenre's demands.

Well that is just my hope.I think they are a kick a$$ group,with a great leader,that shouldn't be controlled by any house.

Also something that I have thought about.Why didn't Jarlaxle go back to take advantage of the absence of Lolth??He had to have known what was going on right?I guess I would have to ask RAS that,but I am just asking for theories.

About the WotSQ situation concerning Jarlaxle, the most obvious one would be that he wouldn't know. I mean, the drow mercenary isn't the most devoted follower of Lolth so he might not know if the Spider Queen is gone. Second, I suspect that he doesn't care. He probably left it for Kimmuriel to handle, maybe something like a test to see if the psionicist is worthy of being leader. I think that right now, his travelling with Artemis is basically a vacation for him, a break from handling Bregan D'Arthe and the constant chaos and treachery of drow society.

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  20:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Might I inquire as to what happend to Rai'guy (concerning the "co leadership") since him and Kimmuriel are "friends" in "secret"? Im only on Spine of the World as it is, so maybe he was killed or just wasnt trusted enough by Jarlaxle and I just dont know about it yet...(Or I might have missed somthing in The Silent Blade)

Edit: I just bought Servant of the Shard, so if somthing happens to Rai'Guy in it, just ignore my question

Edited by - Arteris on 07 Nov 2004 00:56:20
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  03:26:09  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was think the same thinking the same thing DDH.That Jarlaxle just didn't know what was going on because he was on the surface.The more I thought of it I don't think that would be the case.Jarlaxle is one that would always know what is going on.Especially in his base of operations.How he would be informed is anyones guess,and I don't believe that he would leave it up to Kimmuriel as a test of faith.He wouldn't trust him.I do agre that he probably just doesn't care,and will let the chips fall where they may.Then return,and play his hand.I mean Entreri has maybe a few more decades left of life.Unless he prolongs his life somehow,or is killed(doubtful).What's a few more decades to Jarlaxle?Reading SotS,and the short story in RotD,it sure sounds like he is having fun on the surface though.So it is an open,and intriguing scenario.One that I hope to the Gods, that are listening ,that RAS will write about.IMO it's been a long time coming.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  13:56:53  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does any of these books explain the background of jarlaxle? How he turned into the leader of the guild, something about when he was born..
Go to Top of Page

Alparon
Seeker

Turkey
67 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  09:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Alparon's Homepage Send Alparon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well.....
I killed Jarlaxle in BG2

but he is a great bastard
he is a great traitor
therefore he must follow Cyric i say

I am Cyric, the One and the All, God of Murder and Intrigue, Patron of Deception and Chaos, Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, rightful Lord of the Dead, Cyric-on-a-stick, and known to some as "the Mad God." I welcome you to The Land of the Dead...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  11:16:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon

well.....
I killed Jarlaxle in BG2

but he is a great bastard
he is a great traitor
therefore he must follow Cyric i say

Nah, all drow are like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  11:31:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

Does any of these books explain the background of jarlaxle? How he turned into the leader of the guild, something about when he was born..

Doing a little exploring, I can not find any indication any book provides this information. Rather he makes appearence and some facts about him are revealed. RAS' forum http://p197.ezboard.com/brasalvatoreforums does have a few threads that discusses him.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  19:47:49  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you very much, i will go and check
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  22:17:07  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot believe it took me THIS long to see the other side of this organization. This is very interesting!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  00:46:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been hinted that Jarlaxle was the THIRD son of Yvonne Baenre although it has been years since I read the novels so I can't quote the passages that lead me to believe that. It may have been in the Menzo boxed set that I came to believe it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  03:28:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it was mentioned at the very end of Road of the Patriarch, I believe. I remember being completely stunned by the reveal that he was not only a Baenre (which I'd long suspected) but was in the same "boat" as Drizzt to boot!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  05:07:49  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You learn something new everyday Ha!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  12:01:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I didn't read RotP so I didn't realize that fact had been revealed. Thanks for the confirmation.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  19:04:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The surprise reveal was the very last sentence of Servant of the Shard.

In Road of the Patriarch, RAS actually goes into detail about Jar's birth.

But we still only have a few isolated tidbits about the founding of the brotherhood, and Jar's and Zak's common past. We know that Jar was considered the founder, and it took him a long time to do so, and that it only really came to prominence in the 1200s DR. Zaknafein was a better fighter than Jarlaxle, but Jar convinced him otherwise via some mysterious sort of betrayal. Other than that, we're still pretty much in the dark about those two, and the early days of BD'a.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  02:04:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! You're right, BEAST. I KNEW it was the end of one of those books, but had forgotten exactly which one. My bad. And yeah, it was that last sentence I was referring to. To be honest, it's his connection to Zak that I'm more interested in. I REALLY wish RAS would write the backstory on that. Even just a short story in an anthology would be great.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  13:20:15  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i would love to read more about the founding of Bregan Daerthe and its early years.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  13:33:05  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would to, I was always curious about them.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000