Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Resurrected gods?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jeff_K
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  20:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Jeff_K's Homepage Send Jeff_K a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering... how did Bane and Bhaal get resurrected? And where can I stay up to date on Forgotten Realms events like that? It's frustrating, being the only nerd who doesn't know what's going on.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  21:12:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_K

I was wondering... how did Bane and Bhaal get resurrected? And where can I stay up to date on Forgotten Realms events like that? It's frustrating, being the only nerd who doesn't know what's going on.

Bhaal didn't get resurrected yet...... Bane's return was mentioned in the FRCS or Lords of Darkness. A lot of people want a novel written for the full details about that since WOTC hasn't written the whole return out. Bane just burst from Xvim and then he was back. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jeff_K
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  21:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Jeff_K's Homepage Send Jeff_K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read something about Bhaal being resurrected, but I can't remember where. All I know is that it had something to do with Mask, and Bhaal became Neutral Evil instead of Lawful Evil.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  23:19:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read something about Bhaal being resurrected, but I can't remember where. All I know is that it had something to do with Mask, and Bhaal became Neutral Evil instead of Lawful Evil.

I don't know what you are reading then because I repeat, Bhaal is dead deity and he doesn't exist as a deity any longer.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  00:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially speaking, the Lord of Murder remains dead.

I have two theories for Bane's return. One was that he'd for some reason decided to create (or modify) Iyachtu Xvim as a vessel for his eventual return, should anything happen.

The other theory is that Xvim was truly independent of Bane. When Bane was slain, perhaps a shard of his essence made it way to the Baneson...

Either way, Fzoul Chermbryl's actions strengthened Xvim. Part of this process was collecting some of Bane's remaining essence -- like in the Baneliches.

So either this influx of the old Bane's power was enough to awaken the sleeping Bane within Xvim, or it reacted with the parts of his essence that Xvim had already collected, forming a critical mass that lead to Bane's reformation.

Same result, two different ways to get there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  02:08:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To answer your question about staying updated, visiting the FR official site at WotC is good to find new information about the Realms. Your other option is to keep coming here for more!

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  07:06:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps you read a forum discussion that related to the recent Bhaal-themed PrC that was printed in a recent issue of Dragon... #322 I believe...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  17:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Bhaal rez I've heard of was BG, and that was so non-cannonical it's not even funny.

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  02:59:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerard Doonsay

The only Bhaal rez I've heard of was BG, and that was so non-cannonical it's not even funny.

Bhaal has been the Lord of Murder in the Realms since the printing of the ol' grey boxset...

- Historical Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2004 03:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  04:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that by "Bhaal Rez" He was referring to a ressurection of Bhaal.

However I might be mistaken.

I will try to refrain from my normal(and by now quite repetitive) complaints about there *being* non canonical FR products, at least that aren't openly marked with "this doesn't count!".

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 21 Oct 2004 04:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  22:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering are there any worshipers of bhaal still left or is he a completley dead faith.?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  22:42:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

I was wondering are there any worshipers of bhaal still left or is he a completley dead faith.?

There were still a few left after the ToT, but not a huge amount. Most converted to Cyric.

For all intents and purposes, I'd declare it a dead faith. There may still be a few die-hards out there, but I doubt there's even 12 of them in all the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  00:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't neccesarily say only 12... I have a few scattered Bhaal cults in my game. The evil cult trying to ressurect dead god(s) is a staple of the genre, and can be tons of fun.

Also, dead gods have returned before, that combined wit hactually loyal bhaalists(which are admittedly few) ther should be some scattered cells of Bhaal worship...

For canonical references, it is mentioned that bhall holdouts visit the river that is infused with his essence today.

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  07:43:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Capn, you talking about the Ashaba River where Cyric killed Bhaal? Is it still as poisonious and deadly as before?

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  08:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look, I'll level with you: I remember readign that a river(it might have been the ashaba, might have been some other) was tainted with bhaal's essence, poisonous, etc. However, I wil lbe damned if I cna find it. Bhall is not even listed in the FRCS' index, and for some reason I cannot beg borrow or steal a copy of i in electronic format that is searchable, and also lack the time to re read it cover to cover to find it... So, I cannot prove my claims at this time.

Hell, maybe I even imagined the whole thing, since I can't find it now... I'll cop to that. But I swear it was there, and will try to find the reference when I am able.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  09:01:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal was slain at Boareskyr Bridge, which spans the Winding Water. From there to Trollclaw Ford the river is poisonous, because it absorbed his essence.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  13:33:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

Look, I'll level with you: I remember readign that a river(it might have been the ashaba, might have been some other) was tainted with bhaal's essence, poisonous, etc. However, I wil lbe damned if I cna find it. Bhall is not even listed in the FRCS' index, and for some reason I cannot beg borrow or steal a copy of i in electronic format that is searchable, and also lack the time to re read it cover to cover to find it... So, I cannot prove my claims at this time.

Page 226 of the FRCS lists the bridge that WR referenced. Bhaal is mentioned in this entry.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  17:21:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Bhaal was slain at Boareskyr Bridge, which spans the Winding Water. From there to Trollclaw Ford the river is poisonous, because it absorbed his essence.

Yes, that's the place. But even after like 15 years, is that place still as polluted? I remember reading like even one drop of that water will kill you.

Hmmm... this river could be used in a D&D campaign. Have like a plot about Bhaalists attempt to draw Bhaal's essence from the river to raise him or do whatever evil stuff with his powers.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  19:40:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Yes, that's the place. But even after like 15 years, is that place still as polluted? I remember reading like even one drop of that water will kill you.

On page 226 of the FRCS, it nows states that the water is "black, foul-smelling, and unlucky to drink."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  20:43:26  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But can anything be done to fix that place up?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  21:38:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah contact Martha Stewart in a few months and she should be free.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  22:40:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Yeah contact Martha Stewart in a few months and she should be free.

But isn't Bhaal's essence the lesser of two evils?

Go to Top of Page

Jeff_K
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  17:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Jeff_K's Homepage Send Jeff_K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also read something about Waukeen coming back, in the FR novel "The Sapphire Cresent". Does anyone know anything about that?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  18:01:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also read something about Waukeen coming back, in the FR novel "The Sapphire Cresent". Does anyone know anything about that?

Yeah, she came back in the module For Duty & Deity.

The long and the short of it: during the ToT, Waukeen tried to get back into the heavens by doing some plane-hopping. The demon Graz'zt was supposed to help her, but took her prisoner, instead. The module has the PCs trying to rescue her.

The reason her portfolio remained open was that she handed it off to Llira to watch while she was gone. I believe she'd had to shed a further bit of her divinity, too, and that's why she didn't just pop back when Ao allowed the gods to resume their places -- she actually had to get back to the Realms before she could re-ascend.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  21:47:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The long and the short of it: during the ToT, Waukeen tried to get back into the heavens by doing some plane-hopping. The demon Graz'zt was supposed to help her, but took her prisoner, instead. The module has the PCs trying to rescue her.

The reason her portfolio remained open was that she handed it off to Llira to watch while she was gone. I believe she'd had to shed a further bit of her divinity, too, and that's why she didn't just pop back when Ao allowed the gods to resume their places -- she actually had to get back to the Realms before she could re-ascend.

Yup, and that module also ties in with the Planescape module Tales from the Infinite Staircase. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  07:19:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Yup, and that module also ties in with the Planescape module Tales from the Infinite Staircase. :)

I knew that if any scribe was going to beat me to making that connection, it would be you Kuje...

Perhaps I should visit Candlekeep more often...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  08:34:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to obtain a copy of that one, too...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  16:13:31  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... does anyone know if Waukeen had started to take revenge on Grazz't yet?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  16:44:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageI knew that if any scribe was going to beat me to making that connection, it would be you Kuje...

:) Sorry, I can't help I have every Planescape box set/module/sourcebook except for the sketch book, which seems to be the book many of us are missing.

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Oct 2004 16:46:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  08:10:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by The SageI knew that if any scribe was going to beat me to making that connection, it would be you Kuje...

:) Sorry, I can't help I have every Planescape box set/module/sourcebook except for the sketch book, which seems to be the book many of us are missing.

Hah!... I've got you beat on that at least...

I wouldn't worry though, you're not missing that much...

Go to Top of Page

Shayan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2004 :  15:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Shayan's Homepage Send Shayan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, after I read through this topic I was also convinced that I saw somewhere that Bhaal was resurrected, contrary to the posts...I couldn't get to sleep without finding out where, and finally I found it!

The site claims that the information provided is from TSR, its official etc, however I guess all you guys can't be wrong. The resurrection of Bhaal is a big deal afterall...

So here is the Quote from the site:
http://www.io.com/~jwetzler/history.htm

quote:
Some time later, Lord Ao returned to resurrect the Lord of Murder in the Moonshae Isles. Bhaal's second coming was short-lived, and Cyric became the official caretaker of the Church of Assassins. Meanwhile, Cyric joined forces with Mask (Lord of Shadows) to murder Leira, Lady of the Mists, giving Cyric the powers of Deception and Illusion.

It goes into no detail as to how and why...
Does the inclusion of Hall of Heroes in it's reference material mean that it could be fictional?
(Sorry I'm just getting into the D&D Realmslore -mainly interested in gods)

Someone please tell me where to buy FR books in Australia!! Pretty Please...
Shayan's Subrace Engine - for NWNhttp://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2603
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000