Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 what is a 'Dusk Lord'?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nephilim
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  12:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Nephilim's Homepage Send Nephilim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
FRCS mentions that Sessrendale used to be ruled by a Dusk Lord. But there is no explaination of who or what a Dusk Lord actually is. Is this something from 2e or perhaps a potential undefined prestige class?

FRCS p116

quote:
Sessrendale was ruled by a Dusk Lord who was accused by Archendale of fell sorceries. The Dusk Lord fell when Archendales army invaded in 1232DR

ooops.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  17:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A reference in Cormyr tells me that there's more information in A Grand Tour of the Realms. However, it doesn't list a page number, and I don't have a copy of the second tome at hand, so I can't be much help.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  17:38:54  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my memory serves me correctly the "Dusk Lord" is merely a title for the ruler of Sessrendale, who (if the Arkhenfolk are to be believed) was a powerful Necromancer. He is said to have escaped the destruction of his dale by hiding in the Vast Swamp between Cormyr and Sembia and he may even survive to this day.

I'm not positive if that all info came from the 2nd Ed Campaign guide, or if i picked it up elsewhere too, but that's all the information i'm aware of existing. I'll check a few more references (Elminster's Ecologies, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, Volo's Guide to the Dales and also The Dalelands) and post again later if nobody else has a clearer answer.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  19:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am aware, Gareth Hoan is correct. I recently was researching my old Realms products regarding Sessrendale for potential adventure hooks and came to the same conclusion. If I remember (this was a couple of months ago) most information came from The Dalelands supplement rather than from Volo's. The "Dusk Lord" was the title for the ruler of Sessrendale. It is a title not unlike the "President" is the title for the executive of the United States.

As for other particulars of its destruction, I think the information I gathered indicated that Archendale attacked Sessrendale, at least publicly, for the fell sorceries engaged in by the Dusk Lord. There were intimations that it was a conquest to get rid of neighbors whose natural resources were coveted by the Archenfolk or a dispute of logging and mining rights.

I also recall that there were several other wizards mentioned as defending Sessrendale from the attacks of Archendale, but that their assistance was ultimately futile.

Take this only as my recollection however, since I am getting old and the brain is cluttered with too much information and I may be combining stories from something else. If you really want a source for it, use the Dalelands supplement though, that I do remember being the most useful.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:39:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Nephilim,

Here you are:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dusk_Lord

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim

FRCS mentions that Sessrendale used to be ruled by a Dusk Lord. But there is no explaination of who or what a Dusk Lord actually is. Is this something from 2e or perhaps a potential undefined prestige class?

FRCS p116

quote:
Sessrendale was ruled by a Dusk Lord who was accused by Archendale of fell sorceries. The Dusk Lord fell when Archendales army invaded in 1232DR

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000