Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Congratulations!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  09:34:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all .

Truth to tell, I really didn't spend any time trying to actually work it all out. I have been so busy here, that maybe, just maybe, like you said, I most probably would have taken note of what you meant, had I spent more time studying what you said.

I am rather annoyed at myself though , being a local amateur astronomer of some note, maybe I should have been taking more notice. Plus with all the physics knowledge I have buzzing around in my head, you would think it would be obvious. It just goes to show you what can happen when your not paying attention to what is directly in front of you.

Anyway, the reference is obscure Bookwyrm. Very obscure, but also very entertaining. And as a fellow sage (geek/nerd), I can appreciate that relative obscurity for it's true worth.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm looks up as another well-known scribe walks into the room.

"Ah! Mournblade! Welcome to our little club. Please, pull up a desk. Oh, and admire the spaciousness of its empty surface while it lasts. I think I hear Alaundo coming along to greet you as only a sage bearing fresh scrollwork can."

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  09:37:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage gathers his belongings - his scrolls, tomes, and other materials - from atop his table, and slowly makes his way to the next cubicle, vacanting the former area for the newly arriving Learned Scribe, Mournblade.::

Greetings to you Mournblade and welcome to the inner sanctum of Candlekeep.

::The Sage tugs on Mournblades left arm, pulling him into a vacant cubicle::

A word of warning though, be prepared for much work ahead, I hear Alaundo has received many new scrolls that need referencing, and word is, the newly promoted, are often the first to assist him .

Anyway, congratulations Mournblade, another fine scribe and sage has now joined our inner circle.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  20:09:45  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Mournblade,

Excellent, another learned scribe joins the ranks. I hope your enjoyment of Candlekeep is not crushed under the weighty responsibilites of a Learned Scribes tasks.

Like say about 150lbs of unfiled, unindexed, unannotated tomes and scrolls that are waiting in the hall for you.

Looks like Alaundo went back for another load...

Enjoy and again congrats

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  01:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on becoming a Learned Scribe, Sage of Perth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  05:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

Looks like Alaundo went back for another load...

I think it's in anticipation of your own upcoming promotion.

Edit:

Then again, it might be for me . . . I just noticed he'd switched my nameplate . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 03 Jun 2003 06:04:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  06:24:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW ,

Congratulations on your promotion Bookwyrm.

I guess this means you get five times the amount of work than the rest of us Learned Scribes .

Enjoy,

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  06:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::whimpers:: It's enough to make a grown dragon cry . . . .

Well, at the rate that some of us are going, at least I won't be conspicuously alone for long. Though by the sound of the way Alaundo is struggling in the hall, I think the work he's about to give me will make it seem like ten years short of forever . . . .

(I knew I should have cast Elminster's Evasion last night . . . . )

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

My oh my, you have been working hard, Bookwyrm. Congratulations on becoming our first Senior Scribe of Candlekeep. Please take a seat at your new large desk over yonder chamber. Its a bit empty in there at the moment (although theres plenty of bookcases for the new scolls that need to be penned ), im sure more scribes will be joining you soon.

Now, where are those dwarves with that barrow of tomes!?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 03 Jun 2003 09:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm groans quietly at the sight of his new desk. It's certainly a nice one. Bigger, more ornate, plenty of workspace, since it surrounds the occupant on three sides.

Unfortunately, he knows that it will soon be covered with fresh work; not only that which Alaundo had already assigned, but those that he is sure to deliver very, very soon . . . .

"Yes, I definately should have prepared that spell . . . ."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:51:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage discreetly scribbles down a few notes on a piece of scrap parchment, then quickly teleports the missive over to the left top corner of the Bookwyrm's new desk::

'Not only should you be concerned about the new work load, but I remember hearing something about the compiling of a Tome of All Knowledge, the high-ups here at Candlekeep were talking about. It seems that the Senior Scribe and a few Learned Scribes will be responsible for the project'.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  19:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::leaves the room and walks over to the Senior Scribes chamber to stand in the doorway looking towards Bookwyrm::

Wow, nice desk Bookwyrm and congratulations woooo, that sure is beautiful and ornate, youve gonna love working th....

::stops at the sound of a rumbling coming from back down the corridor and peers back toward the sound::

Yikes, looks like your barrows of tomes have arrived

::rapidly runs back to Learned Scribes chamber::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  03:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Yes Mumadar deserves are gratitude for sure....

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, congrats! a bit late, but it's the thought that counts, ne?

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  23:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bookwyrm wonders absently into the Senior staff room, his attention focused on a particularly vexing piece of lore he holds in his hands. Not looking around, he sits down at his desk and reaches for the orange juice he had left there in a decanter of refrigeration. However, his hand closes around empty air. After a moment of blind groping, he finally lifts his eyes from the page he had been studying to look for it.

To his surprise, he finds his desk empty of the clutter that had been there the day before, when he had left Candlekeep to go to his modest extraplanar lair. There are no books waiting to be appraised, no scrolls waiting to be shelved, no parchments to be filled out, and most importantly, no orange juice.

As Bookwyrm sits there, bemused, a short, stocky dwarf comes in, pushing a huge wheelbarrow. The dragon recognizes him; shorter and thicker than the average of his race, this gruff fellow was one of the caretakers of Candlekeep.

"Oi! Whotcher doin' thar?" he grumbles in this thick accent. "Tha' desk ain't yurs. Yous's over there." The dwarf mutters something about blind scholars.

Blinking, the Bookwyrm looks and sees that his desk, still piled high with his unfinished work, has been moved over a bit to make room for another, identical desk.

"Er -- did someone get promoted?"

"It's tha' new guy's -- a Sage o' somplace or 'nother." The dwarf pats the wheelbarrow, which is piled with fresh parchment, ink bottles, quills, and at least a dozen books. "Master Alaundo ordered upa bunch o' new supplies fo' 'im. Said somtin' 'bout makin' 'im earn 'is keep. So wouldja mind movin' yer learn'd rear end so's I can put dis stuff away?"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  08:36:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a brief flash of white blinding light. A doorway seems to open in thin-air alongside the new desk which has been added to the Senior Scribe chambers. The Sage slowly emerges from the dimensional doorway, scanning the chamber before moving to his new desk. With the doorway closing up behind him, the Sages gaze is quickly drawn to the wheel-barrow sitting near the edge of his desk. He makes a brief perusal of the the contents of the barrow - scrolls, tomes, and old manuscripts sit piled in a hodge-podge fashion within the confines of the large barrow.

"Ah...I seem my books and scrolls have arrived on time." He moves to sit behind the desk, looking over his neatly crafted and ornate chair that he especially requested from Alaundo, in exchange for a 'favor' for the Wise Seer.

Once seated, the Sage takes note that stacked atop his desk is a myriad collection of more books, parchments and tomes. Taking in a deep breath, the Sage fumbles around in his robes, for his enchanted ink-well and cockatrice quill. Finding the items in his left pockets, he places them alongside a large manuscript lying in front of him on the desk. He carefully picks up the delicate quill, then gently dips the fine end in the special ink. He retreives a fresh sheet of parchment from a pile to his left, and slowly begins his duties for the day.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A gruff voice sounds from the Senior Staffroom: "Oi! Now watch where yer goin' dere! Stupid bumblin' scholars . . . can't steer clear of an 'onest dwarf 'oos just goin' about 'is business. I don't know why Master Alaundo wants ter permote ano'ter one o' yer. Nothin' but good-fer-nothing wastes, if yer ask me, leavin' yer ink bottles and scrolls all o'er dah place. An' dis "zemd" character seems mighty fishy ter me . . . ."

Welcome to the Senior Staffroom, Zemd. And don't mind him, he's always like that . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  10:07:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have already congratulated you elsewhere but since this is the most appropriate forum...

Congratulations again zemd, on you promotion. I know both the Bookwyrm and I will be glad that Alaundo now has another Senior Scribe to swamp with large amounts of work, er..., I mean assign work to.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  10:31:46  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats....another one bites the du....i mean....you really deserve it, and am happy you got it

Have a good one!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  13:05:25  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all... I hope that it's more the knowledge i share than the post count that describe me as a senior scribe.
And thanks for the new desk, but i'd prefer to stay at my old one... You know habits are hard to pass on and i like the noise of all the busy scribes around me...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  17:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Ahhhh, zemd, congratulations indeed, and what a pleasure it is to have you within the Senior Scribes hall 'Tis a bit sparse as only a few scribes (extremely valued scribes at that, I might add) are herein. Still, on the bright side, the fewer the desks, the more room for scrolls and tomes and scrolls and tomes and.....

Welcome to your new post zemd....... now no more venturing from the gates of Candlekeep, you have far too much work to be done

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 Jul 2003 17:25:47
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  08:21:38  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

now no more venturing from the gates of Candlekeep, you have far too much work to be done

Don't worry Alaundo, i went out for one month and i found a HUGE pile of scroll on my desk. I don't want to have so much work at the same time
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bookwyrm walks into the Senior Staffroom to find that the desks have once again been moved by Alaundo's trusty staff of dwarven caretakers. "Blast it!" he says grumpily. "I was hoping to make it through the last few days of the month before the Sage surpassed my own work. I was hoping for one last pay day at my old level . . . ."

Then the Bookwyrm brightens, as he realizes that this means that Alaundo will be focusing his work assignments on the Sage now. Ah, yes, an opportunity for relaxation . . . .

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 27 Jul 2003 14:14:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:31:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage shakes his head as he enters into the Senior Staffroom just behind the Bookwyrm. Overhearing his earlier comments, the Sage quietly mutters to himself, "I guess there are disadvantages to being a self-promoted master of Realmslore".

He passes by the Bookwyrm, entering the 'older scrolls' section of the Senior Staffroom.

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2003 14:33:01
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  14:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eek!

Blinding . . . yellow . . . stars . . . can't see . . . .

Should have memorized a darkness spell . . . .

Oh well. Congratulations, Sage. I wonder if this means you get moved to a new desk all over again? I'm sure that wouldn't make Alaundo's dwarven employees very happy . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  14:20:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm .

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all my fellow scribes and friends that I have made here at Candlekeep. You have all made my time here extraordinarily worth while. I would also like to give a special thanks to the wise Alaundo and the considerable staff of Grand Scribes here in the library, who have provided this magical place where we can read, learn and discuss more about our favorite setting.

This truly is a hall of infinite knowledge.

Now that is done, I would also like to say that now my exams are over (whew!!!), I now have more time to work on, and present a lot of the material that I have been promising to post here these last few weeks (but have had little time to work on, due to study). I would also like to begin managing my Magic Shop once again, although with the recent activity in the Shop lately, I think it has been handling itself pretty well.

Oh well...thanks again fellow scribes.

::The Sage wanders off down the hall, lost in thought while reading a recently published tome by an Earth scribe called 'The Matter of Critique'::

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2003 14:21:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  17:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow congratulations Sage! Thats a pretty cool title

Certainly very well deserved!! well done! Phoo-eee, that new "Masters" chamber sure looks nice

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  18:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met and Congratulations, Sage of Perth.

Thou art now a "Master of Realmslore"! Indeed, 'tis well awarded, for your knowledge on the Realms is great, and shared well and appreciated amongst our fellow scribes. I, nay....we, look forward to reading your future scrolls and works.

Please, let me show you to your new desk, in the Hall of the Great Sages

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 07 Aug 2003 18:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Krandor
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  18:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Krandor's Homepage Send Krandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Sage, well done indeed!

(Don't get to comfy in that big room all to yourself, I will be there in about 500 years )

"Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." - Krandor, Master Smith
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  10:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

...and Congratulations are once again in order.....this time for our great Bookwyrm, who has made it to be a Master of Realmslore, and thus joins Sage of Perth in the Chamber of Infinate Scro..... erm, in the Chamber of Master Scribes I mean

Well done Bookwyrm, it is very well deserved and im sure the scribes of Candlekeep, like myself, look forward to reading more of your works......especially now you have a brand-spankin new gold-trimmed quill

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly