Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 The Hamster and the Hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:01:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took a couple pics of my yard... According to the National Weather Service, we've had like 15 inches of rain -- more in some parts of the county -- since Monday night.

http://himsheepy.googlepages.com/fay

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly !
few months after the damages to your home !!

Aren't you a Beshaba's worshipper ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 20 Aug 2008 20:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:29:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Wooly !

My home was never damaged. Last year's loss was a storage unit where all my stuff was. I thank Lurue it wasn't my home.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  06:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still really windy, but the storm has finally moved away. The continuous rain finally stopped around late afternoon, after dropping 25-30 inches of rain in about 36 hours. Once the rain finally let up, a lot of the flooding I was seeing -- and took pics of -- was gone within a couple of hours. It's worse in some areas, though... One part of town, they were going in with rafts to get people out, and power to that area was shut down for safety reasons.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Aug 2008 06:17:40
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  14:27:12  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see you've managed to avoid the worst of it, Wooly. Any plans to relocate out of the hurricane zone?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

I'm glad to see you've managed to avoid the worst of it, Wooly. Any plans to relocate out of the hurricane zone?

Not any time soon... We just bought this house.

Really, this area isn't that much of a hurricane zone. From 1988 until 2004, I only went thru a handful of hurricanes -- and the worst was a Cat 2. 2004 was a fluke (I don't know of any other hurricane that looped like Jeanne did). We've only had one hurricane and this tropical storm, since then -- and because of the slow speed of this tropical storm, I think it's dumped more rain than the hurricane did.

Between the barrier islands and ocean currents, this area rarely gets hit -- that's why Cape Canaveral is here. I've seen a lot of hurricanes that looked like they were going to hit, only to veer off (usually to the north by a significant amount) while still a day or so away.

Fay didn't even approach this coast -- it made landfall on the other side of the state, and came across. That was what Charlie did in 2004. And unless they are moving fast, tropical storms/hurricanes lose a lot of strength when moving over land.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Aug 2008 15:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage  Send Fillow a Yahoo! Message Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Wooly !

My home was never damaged. Last year's loss was a storage unit where all my stuff was. I thank Lurue it wasn't my home.

Oops !
I forgot that important detail.
Excuse-me for the mistake Wooly.

Good luck with your new house.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  21:39:09  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::in a British accent::

TS Fay, how dirty states get clean!
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  22:58:56  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage  Send kysus an AOL message Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly i just want to say i know what u go through with those hurricanes, I live in Louisiana and actually stayed on the northshore for Katrina and luckly nothing bad happened where i was at, though this latest one gustav managed to take a few of my D&D books with it including some of my old forgotten realm novels and game books. curse these dreaded storms!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  02:35:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Wooly i just want to say i know what u go through with those hurricanes, I live in Louisiana and actually stayed on the northshore for Katrina and luckly nothing bad happened where i was at, though this latest one gustav managed to take a few of my D&D books with it including some of my old forgotten realm novels and game books. curse these dreaded storms!!!

Hurricanes suck. I'm glad I've never had anything worse than 7 days without power result from one.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  18:32:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it, it looks like I have to resurrect this one again...

It's looking like we're going to catch at least part of Matthew as it passes by. It was projected to be comfortably far away, as of yesterday, but it's now projected to come a lot closer. I'm hoping it goes back to further away, but we shall see.

When I started this thread, I was just a single guy living in a crappy apartment. My wife and I were still a couple months from our first date... Now we have a house and a 5 year old son -- that makes this routine a lot scarier than it has been on past occasions.

I will keep y'all updated.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1231 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  21:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes, Immortal Hamster. Stay safe, and may Tymora guard and bless you and yours.

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  22:03:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like FL might get slammed. I would sacrifice a goat for Talos if I were you. Good luck.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2720 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  02:09:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes indeed. I hope it all turns out for the least bad.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  09:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Stay safe, Wooly! Batten down the hatches.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  17:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stay safe and dry, Wooly. Nobody should have to be in a storm shelter smelling of wet hamster fur.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5960 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  20:45:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Wooly. Make an offering to Talos to turn his eye elsewhere.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2880 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  23:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be safe Wooly!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  16:17:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stay safe and dry Wooly.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  03:31:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am back home and back online.

It looks like Matthew wobbled just a bit back to the east when it was approaching, and that made a lot of difference. It could have been a hell of a lot worse, here.

My workplace shut down early on Wednesday, and I came home, secured some potential windblown debris, grabbed a couple days' worth of clothes, and we left. We spent Wednesday eve, all day Thursday, and a good chunk of today hanging out with Callmegene at his place in Orlando.

A friend of mine had to ride out the storm at home, just a couple miles from here, and he came by this morn and sent us pictures showing nothing worse than a dead tree down in the yard -- and reporting that we had power.

Other than the dampness of some towels that were placed by the sliding glass doors before we left, the house was just as we left it -- we didn't even lose power.

That was such a profound relief.

I was dreading the idea of having to replace all my stuff a second time... But what worried me more was that if that happened, we would have to try to explain it all to a 5 year old.

So I was so incredibly grateful to find the house just as we left it.

Some local friends did lose power, and my mother-in-law's backyard is trashed - it was a minor jungle out there (to the point that there were literally footpaths for navigating around the yard), and a lot of limbs and such blew down. Between all the downed limbs and how chaotic that yard already was, I'm really not sure how badly damaged it was -- it's bad, but it'll have to be cleaned up before we can tell how bad.

The major concern now is my wife's brother, his family, and his in-laws. His in-laws live just a couple houses away from the beach in St. Augustine, and brother Drew and his family are just a mile or two from there. There's a lot of flooding in the historic downtown area, right now, so there is a lot of reason to be worried.

Drew thinks his house is likely fine, but the in-laws' place most likely did not fare so well. They're all in Tampa, right now, so we don't know.

Thanks for all the good wishes, folks -- it is very much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  22:21:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the word from St. Augustine is that both houses are fine and have power and water. Despite being practically on the beach, the in-law's place just got some debris.

We dodged a major bullet, here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  00:22:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really dislike the fact that I'm updating this thread again...

It's been a really long week, watching Hurricane Irma. For a while it looked like it was going to skirt the tip of Florida as it headed for the Gulf... Then, in about a 36 hour span, the tracks changed from that to hitting south Florida and then heading east of us back into the Atlantic.

The tracks earlier today made it look like my area wasn't going to see all that much of it -- it was starting to look like Hurricane Jeanne, the one that a friend and I kept going outdoors during.

Then came the latest update, and I went from "this will be barely worth paying attention to!" to "Need to board up the windows, load the cars, get out of town, and pray."

I'm obviously hoping the current track proves to be only a temporary one, and that it goes back to either of the previous tracks that had it hitting only south Florida before heading elsewhere. But at the moment, I can't bank on that one.

This sucks. Two years in a row.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  10:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I really, really dislike the fact that I'm updating this thread again...

It's been a really long week, watching Hurricane Irma. For a while it looked like it was going to skirt the tip of Florida as it headed for the Gulf... Then, in about a 36 hour span, the tracks changed from that to hitting south Florida and then heading east of us back into the Atlantic.

The tracks earlier today made it look like my area wasn't going to see all that much of it -- it was starting to look like Hurricane Jeanne, the one that a friend and I kept going outdoors during.

Then came the latest update, and I went from "this will be barely worth paying attention to!" to "Need to board up the windows, load the cars, get out of town, and pray."

I'm obviously hoping the current track proves to be only a temporary one, and that it goes back to either of the previous tracks that had it hitting only south Florida before heading elsewhere. But at the moment, I can't bank on that one.

This sucks. Two years in a row.

Well met

Gah! Best of luck and hope you and your family come through unscathed personally and thine abode! Stay safe.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5960 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  12:35:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck Wooly. We're all scared of this beast barreling in. I've been dreading that it stalls for a while and heads further into the gulf, because we know these things are really giant water based skriaxit and they have a mind of their own.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

44 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  01:49:10  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck Wooly, hopefully it changes course!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000