Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 The Hamster and the Hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:40:56  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watch yourself my Furry Hamster!

We all want you to come back safe and sound...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

katherinna
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Visit katherinna's Homepage  Send katherinna an AOL message  Click to see katherinna's MSN Messenger address  Send katherinna a Yahoo! Message Send katherinna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
take care I wish there was no such thing as Herracanes and earthquakes.

katherinne in rp 18 real 30
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  06:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,
OK man, move over here to the beautiful Western Slope of Colorado! The only natural disasters here are over-randy elk - which are awful, yes - but very few. No more scary house-flying-through-the-air weather for you!
Seriously, take care, good luck, and may the force be with you!
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5567 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I did indeed wonder if ye would be affected by this, Wooly, when I first heard. Good news that it has now been downgraded, let's hope that the destruction is very minimal. Take care, furry one, and see thee back here soon.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had a lot of thunder last night, but that was it. Right now there's a lot of wind and rain, but nothing dramatic. I've seen worse from summer storms.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:50:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear Oh Wooly One, this place needs its Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:30:39  Show Profile  Click to see Thelonius's MSN Messenger address Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad this is not going to be so dangerous as the last ones that wiped out the country, it seems to be a chain of weather strikes lately all around the land...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:58:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My parents lost part of the roof off of their garage, and said that a couple of times, their power went out long enough to have to reset all electronic devices. For me, the power merely flickered a couple of times. Once there was a surge or something that tripped the breaker on my UPS, but that's it for me and losing power.

A couple hours ago, I wandered outside. It had stopped raining, mostly, but was still very windy. There's a lot of minor flooding in my immediate vicinity. The water in places was almost to my knees -- but that was all in parking lots and by the road, so I don't think anyone's homes got wet, at least in this area.

The water is deep enough that I don't want to take a chance on leaving my apartment complex, at least not by car.

As for wind, I saw some signs of wind damage. I live by a Wendy's; their sign was blown down. In fact, a chunk of the sign came off as I was walking past. I came back by later, and decided to pick up that piece of sign. I almost got to it, but then a gust of wind picked it up and flung it across the street.

Also, I saw a payphone that got blown over.

It's cooler out right now, too -- about 60 degrees. It's supposed to get chilly tonight; this cold front is part of what steered Wilma.

Oh, and if you're wading in water, flip-flops are not the most appropriate foot attire. They made it harder to walk, and I was repeatedly losing them. At one point, I'd get one flop stuck in the mud, free it, and get the other stuck. That happened three times in one spot, and then I fell over in the water!

So, the worst is over. And it could have been a lot worse -- like last year was.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  22:59:26  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you made it through the worst relatively unscathed!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  12:36:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I resurrect this thread yet again! This time tomorrow morning, we'll have Tropical Storm Ernesto parked overhead... It's no big deal. I'm just hoping it works out to be a day off!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, take care, furry friend!

And use the "day off" to write more realmslore.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  13:11:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I resurrect this thread yet again! This time tomorrow morning, we'll have Tropical Storm Ernesto parked overhead... It's no big deal. I'm just hoping it works out to be a day off!

Either way, keep your head down, my furry friend.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Aug 2006 13:12:11
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  14:15:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Either way, keep your head down, my furry friend.

And the aforementioned fur dry.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5567 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  18:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grab thy tomes and head for the hills...erm, the caverns, Furry One.

Hope all passes by without incident.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, welcome back, Wooly!

It´s good to see you walking in the halls of the keep, well and safe. Take a mug of dwaarven beer. Alaundo is paying.
I expect that everything was well with Ernesto...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:58:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They originally were talking about 50-60 mph winds, and up to 6 inches of rain. But then Ernesto weakened... Though half the county was closed down, what we had amounted to a normal summertime rainy day. So it was a wash.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  19:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that is better, considering that the other option was stay in the wrong side of Talos wrath.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*waves wod of thwead necwomancy*

Congrats on dodgin Talos whath, Wupeht!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:34:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*laughs*

I thought about digging up this thread again, because of Tropical Storm Fay, which I was just out and about in. But then I decided that a tropical storm wasn't worth the effort... Though the local newsies would have you believe otherwise, and have been acting like it's a major hurricane.

My storm preparations: I told my fiancée that, depending on the weather, I would drive her to and from work. And that's it.

It started raining late last night, and has rained pretty much since then. It's not a heavy rain, though -- more light to moderate. It's a lighter rainfall than most of our summer thunderstorms. There's been some wind, enough to blow down some branches and scatter a lot of leaves, but not a lot more. I did get knocked around a bit driving my fiancée's SUV on A1A, which is right next to the beach, and the traffic lights were really swaying, too -- but we've seen that before, without a tropical storm being involved.

Looking at the current projection, it appears that the bulk of the storm will be passing right over us later tonight and tomorrow morn. But since it's not even a Cat One, I'm not really worried about it. I'm paying attention more to stay informed than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:42:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I was just reading thru this entire thread... It's kind of ironic. In the first post, I was really worried about losing all of my stuff to wind and rain. And instead, I lost it all last year to fire. Life sure works out strange, sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:57:18  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I was just reading thru this entire thread... It's kind of ironic. In the first post, I was really worried about losing all of my stuff to wind and rain. And instead, I lost it all last year to fire. Life sure works out strange, sometimes.

If I were you, I would store in waterproof containers all the stuff you have replaced!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  21:51:33  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm with you, RW.

Just consider the ambient, tropical humidity without the storms! Layered gallon freezer-bag Ziplocs, culminating in their Big Bags.

Then again, I'm a bit OCD.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  22:10:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got home from picking up my fiancée -- she works in a home improvement place, beachside, and they just closed it down. The place has taken some wind damage, and it was really slow, anyway.

The rain has gotten worse. At times, the visibility was absolute crap. And streets are starting to flood, too.

Other than that, though, we're still doing fine.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:26:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This dang storm... It's slowed down considerably. It was supposed to be well past us by now, but the eye is still fairly close. It's been raining pretty much continuously since late Monday night. So streets are flooding, and it's getting hard to go anywhere. In part of Satellite Beach (where I was living up until a few months ago), the sewers are overwhelmed. They've been backing up in areas, and officials there are asking that water use be limited to just personal hygiene, because of it.

Our hot tub, which is on our back porch, is within minutes of overflowing. And the rain keeps coming!

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:40:07  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beshaba's bossom and Talos' testes, you need a hurricane party! My friend from Miami swears they're the best way to enjoy Floridian weather.

Keep an eye out for Rinonalyrna! She mentioned she was going to FL and may just float past you!

Here's hoping you have a waterproof hamsterball....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000