Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 The Glorified Coaster Awards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  22:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Through the years many good D&D video games have come out such as, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights but along with those some horrible games have come along and been bought by unsuspecting gamers who would eventually find out that these games are nothing more than expensive glorified coasters. I'm here to find out which one of them is the suckiest game that ever did suck in the history of D&D games that suck.

I nominate Pool Of Radiance.

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temple of Elemental Evil.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  01:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not played Temple of Elemental Evil, I've heard it was better than Pool of Radiance, but that says little..

I vote on Pool of Radiance.

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  03:42:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I thought this thread was about all the AOL discs that company insisted on sending me throughout the years.
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  04:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well at least the AOL discs are free and you can make mini-hover crafts out of them in 5 easy steps

1.Take any cork, but preferably one that is tapered, and drill a 1/4" hole from top to bottom.

2.Using hot glue or modeling cement, glue the cork (large taper up) over the center hole of the CD (shiny side down). Allow glue to dry.

3.Carefully pull a regular party balloon over the large taper of the cork. If you used a straight wine cork, you may need to also apply a round of electrical tape to hold the balloon on the cork.

4.Blow air into the balloon through the hole in the CD, filling to a reasonable level. Once full, place your finger over the hole to hold the air.

5.Place the CD shiny side down on any flat, smooth surface. Voila! A Hovercraft.

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  08:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Temple of Elemental Evil.

Seconded. Normal software has bugs; ToEE is a bug.

Honorary mention: the original NWN.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  09:09:28  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Combined award of worst stroy, worst execution, worst charecterisation, worst tutorial, worst gameplay, most difficult and most ultimately pointless game.

Pools of Radiance : ruins of Myth Drannor

Most potential but failed to realise it, most buggy, most pointless, most frustratingly open-ended, most annoyingly pointless story line.

Temple of Elemental Evil

Worst expansion pack

Tales of the Sword Coast

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  12:57:45  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using some of MuadDib's categories:

Worst Story: Temple of Elemental Evil.
I couldn't play for long enough between crashes to find the story.

Worst Gameplay: Temple of Elemental Evil.
Perhaps I'm being unfair. You play, it crashes. It could be argued there is no gameplay.

Worst Execution: The Quality Assurance Team of Temple of Elemental Evil.
I've seen credits for the same names on games since so whoever was responsible for the execution didn't do a very good job.

Most buggy: Temple of Elemental Evil
Only game I've used where there are more bugs than game.

Worst Expansion Pack: Temple of Elemental Evil.
OK, so they've not released one. If they do, you can guarantee it will be the worst.

Temple of Elemental Evil was undoubtedly a wart on the backside of PC games. How companies can get away with producing such bug-ridden dross and remain in busines baffles me. What baffles me more. is why people continue to buy them.

I've not bought a game involving Atari since until it's been out for 6 months+ so I can get a real indication of the quality of the product.

NWN2 - not a hope.

Edited by - kahonen on 23 Aug 2004 12:59:16
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  16:21:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen
Temple of Elemental Evil was undoubtedly a wart on the backside of PC games. How companies can get away with producing such bug-ridden dross and remain in busines baffles me. What baffles me more. is why people continue to buy them.

I like your awards. It reminds me of the Oscars when a certain film sweeps the awards.

The latter statement in your quote, IMNSHO, answers the previous statements. I think companies can get away with producing such stuff as long as consumers purchase it. I think this statement applies not just to the Computer gaming line, but elswhere too.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 23 Aug 2004 16:21:50
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canyia

Well at least the AOL discs are free and you can make mini-hover crafts out of them in 5 easy steps ...

Very creative, Canyia. I'll bet one could create a website dedicated to "Things to do with those damn AOL CDs".

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  17:38:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

quote:

Well at least the AOL discs are free and you can make mini-hover crafts out of them in 5 easy steps ...

Very creative, Canyia. I'll bet one could create a website dedicated to "Things to do with those damn AOL CDs".

I don't know if the site is still around, if they accomplished their mission, or what... But I know there was a website that wanted people to send them their AOL CDs. This group was going to wait until they had 1 million of the things, and then have them delivered to AOL headquarters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  18:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know if the site is still around, if they accomplished their mission, or what... But I know there was a website that wanted people to send them their AOL CDs. This group was going to wait until they had 1 million of the things, and then have them delivered to AOL headquarters.

Hmm . . .maybe we could do the same thing to Atari . . .

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  18:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karesch

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hmm . . .maybe we could do the same thing to Atari . . .

Oops . . .sorry folks, that was me posting. I forgot to log out of Karesch's account before I posted that. I'm using his computer if you couldn't guess . If I knew his password I would have just deleted it and re-posted it from my account but oh well . . .

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  19:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've enjoyed playing The Temple of Elemental Evil, and on my system at least, even before the patch I had to look hard to see any of the bugs.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  22:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here The Temple of Elemental Evil worked just fine for me and I bought it right when it came out. I thought it was pretty good too the only thing that bugged me was the item creation system it was a little buggy for me. But one of the non-official user created patches did wonders to fix that as well as supposedly many other things that everyone else had toruble with that didn't seem to trouble me at all... *shrugs*

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  10:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well at least the AOL discs are free and you can make mini-hover crafts out of them in 5 easy steps

1.Take any cork, but preferably one that is tapered, and drill a 1/4" hole from top to bottom.

2.Using hot glue or modeling cement, glue the cork (large taper up) over the center hole of the CD (shiny side down). Allow glue to dry.

3.Carefully pull a regular party balloon over the large taper of the cork. If you used a straight wine cork, you may need to also apply a round of electrical tape to hold the balloon on the cork.

4.Blow air into the balloon through the hole in the CD, filling to a reasonable level. Once full, place your finger over the hole to hold the air.

5.Place the CD shiny side down on any flat, smooth surface. Voila! A Hovercraft.

You can also use unwanted CD's as coasters or smash thems to bits and make a collage on outdoor tiles and put them in the garden.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  21:01:08  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never played Temple, I watched the demo and knew it would be bad. My vote goes to Birthright: Gorgan's Alliance...nothing worse than a game you can not beat due to bugs.

Bakra

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you dont want to move to the new Realms, that doesnt mean theres anything wrong with either you or the old Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches wont fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

dutch206
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  13:47:36  Show Profile  Visit dutch206's Homepage Send dutch206 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hands down....it has to be Temple of Elemental Evil. The reason: a 'coaster' is defined as a completely unplayable game. Pool of Radiance was at least playable, although I couldn't imagine why you would want to do that....

One more award....TOEE deserves a special award for programming stupidity. This game was so lame that the players formed their own website and began issuing their own patches!!!!

Beware the wrath of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2004 :  21:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calling a game that many people play and enjoy with no problems at all 'unplayable' -- projecting your own experience onto everyone else -- is the kind of garbage rhetoric this forum is mostly free off.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  12:13:50  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok the problem with computer games these days are that the market demands a quick delivery. Knowing this the companies realese their games earlier then they really should with the thoughts of "we will just make a patch later to fix that and that." If the game instead had underwent a serious beta testing instead a lot of problems could have been solved prior to release. For example, the games on consoles tend to be less buggy then computer games since they can't patch them.
And a note: I didn't have that many problems with ToEE, just a a heap of coding errors everywhere. Otherwise the story is a good one, but then I allready knew what would happen more or less.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  12:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Ok the problem with computer games these days are that the market demands a quick delivery. Knowing this the companies realese their games earlier then they really should with the thoughts of "we will just make a patch later to fix that and that." If the game instead had underwent a serious beta testing instead a lot of problems could have been solved prior to release. For example, the games on consoles tend to be less buggy then computer games since they can't patch them.
And a note: I didn't have that many problems with ToEE, just a a heap of coding errors everywhere. Otherwise the story is a good one, but then I allready knew what would happen more or less.

No, console games are less buggy due to only needing to test for one hardware configuration.
Go to Top of Page

dutch206
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  14:06:43  Show Profile  Visit dutch206's Homepage Send dutch206 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, Faraer, I wasn't flaming anybody. TOEEE really was unplayable. I remember this one part of the game where it would crash to the desktop every time I tried to enter Rufus and Burne's tower in town. I literally could not play the game because of all the crashes.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  15:37:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dutch206

Honestly, Faraer, I wasn't flaming anybody.

If it helps, not every scribe took your post as flaming or "garbage rhetoric." Moreover, welcome to the forums. Most scribes are very friendly. I hope this initial experience hasn't turned you off to the message board.
Go to Top of Page

dutch206
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  01:10:14  Show Profile  Visit dutch206's Homepage Send dutch206 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been a huge fan of the Forgotten realms setting both in PnP and video game formats for a very long time. I never knew this website existed until a little while ago, though, so thanks for the welcome Sirius.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000