Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 GenCon Indy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  19:47:16  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Please pardon me for needing to ask this here, but I'm guessing that someone here will know this.

After visiting the GenCon Indy website I am a little frustrated. I cannot find a list of the authors (WotC authors or otherwise) who will be attending the convention and, as importantly, when they will be attending. Does anyone know where I can find such a list? Does one exist?

If not, I wonder if the authors here who are planning on attending could post that they are doing so and when.

Thanks to anyone for any help.

I live an hour away from Indy and would like to go to GenCon for the first time this year, so I'm very curious to know who might be there.

http://www.edgentry.com

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  19:59:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry
I cannot find a list of the authors (WotC authors or otherwise) who will be attending the convention and, as importantly, when they will be attending. Does anyone know where I can find such a list? Does one exist?

If not, I wonder if the authors here who are planning on attending could post that they are doing so and when.

Thanks to anyone for any help.

From memory, I've seen Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham both mention that they will be in attendance. Other than that, no idea. You'd think WOTC would be providing this information on their own site.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  20:54:53  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here are a couple of new links that have been presented to me on this topic. You can start to piece together a list from these, but I still wish GenCOn would just release a clean, complete list.

http://www.gencon.com/displayindy.aspx?file=indy-IGOH

http://www.gencon.com/displayindy.aspx?file=indy-writers-workshops

These are a good start though. Check 'em out.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  22:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be there throughout. I'm flying in Wednesday and going home Sunday evening.
I have a signing scheduled in the WotC area, but I forget when it is. They'll have schedules posted, though.
I'm assuming they'll have the usual Forgotten Realms reception thingie on Thursday night. I'll be at that.
WotC may have me doing other program items, also, but if so, they haven't told me about it yet.
The convention its own self has me doing the how-to-write panels that go on every morning, so that's another place to catch me to get a signature, rebuke me for my authorial shortcomings, or whatever your pleasure is.
I realize this is a long shot (since I assume people go to GenCon to play rpgs), but if anybody's getting together a poker game, I'd love to hear about it.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2004 :  23:12:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers
I realize this is a long shot (since I assume people go to GenCon to play rpgs), but if anybody's getting together a poker game, I'd love to hear about it.

If anyone from Candlekeep plays poker with RLB, make him ante up a plot detail for The Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy for each hand.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  02:38:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm assuming they'll have the usual Forgotten Realms reception thingie on Thursday night.

Last I heard, they weren't planning on having a reception this year.

quote:

I'm bringing three avid poker players to the con, but they're all too young to play for money.

Here's the latest version of the signing schedule--at least, the latest that I've received:

Wizards of the Coast 2004 GenCon Indy Author Signing Schedule

THURSDAY 19
1pm Sherman Alexi
2pm Douglas Niles
3pm Richard Lee Byers
4pm Matt Forbeck

FRIDAY 20
10am Lisa Smedman
11am Weis/Hickman (11-1)
1pm Ed Greenwood
2pm Paul Kemp
3pm R.A. Salvatore/Todd Lockwood (3-5)

SATURDAY 21
10am Margaret Weis 10-12
12pm Paul Thompson & Tonya Cook
1pm Ed Greenwood
2pm Richard Knaak
3pm R.A. Salvatore (3-5)

SUNDAY 22
10am Elaine Cunningham
11am YA Event (Matt Forbeck & Tim Waggoner)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  02:46:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be coming in Thursday morning and staying until Sunday afternoon. Since I don't have any new books coming out this year (just the paperback release of Windwalker), I'm going to be keeping a low profile. Other the the book signing on Sunday morning, I'm there in my parent-and-personal-banker-to-two-gamers capacity. And, of course, hanging out with people I see only once a year. Cons are a great plans to meet people you "know" from online. The first year my oldest son came with me, he was amazed by all these people I seemed to know very well--people he'd never seen before. Of course, I hadn't seen most of them before, either!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  13:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No FR reception? That's too bad. Wonder if they'll at least do something resembling your basic convention panel.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  14:43:27  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the extremely helpful information.

I would love to go every day, especially Thursday and Sunday, but I think I'll have to settle for making a long, full day of it on Saturday.

Mr. Byers, I'd be very pleased to play poker with you. I believe the friend that is accompanying me would be happy to as well. I know there is a poker tournament scheduled also, but I cannot recall when it is.

Do you play Texas Hold 'em, by chance?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  15:31:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote

All,

I will not be at GenCon this year, notwithstanding my appearance on the signing schedule. My wife just gave birth to twin boys (our first children) and my hands are more than a little full. I'll be there next year, though.

Richard, I'll sit in on the poker game next year, if you're still game.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  15:55:43  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp,

Congratulations! That is excellent news about your family.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  16:30:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
My wife just gave birth to twin boys (our first children) and my hands are more than a little full. I'll be there next year, though.

Congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy your now very large family.

SB
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  16:32:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

My wife just gave birth to twin boys (our first children) and my hands are more than a little full.

Mozel tov! That's great news. Yes, I'd say you have your hands full!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 03 Aug 2004 16:34:54
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  17:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Paul!
Ed, yes I do play Hold Em (almost exclusively these days.) Maybe we can get something together, if we can find more players than just us two. (Nick the Greek and Johnny Moss may have relished all those weeks of playing heads-up, but I think more players makes for more fun.)
Or maybe it would be superfluous, if there's going to be a tournament. This is actually part of GenCon this year? Anybody know when it is (it'll be just my luck if I'm scheduled opposite it) or how much the buy-in is?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  18:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what an amazing guest list If only we had such delights at GENCON UK

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  19:12:36  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

Unfortunately for me, the tournament spans all 4 days, culminating in a final round on Sunday. It uses play-money the whole time, so unless you can do all four days, it's not as beneficial. I will only be able to attend on Saturday, I'm sorry to say.

However, if you wish to play Saturday afternoon/early evening, perhaps as a warm-up for that evening's tournament play, then just let me know. I'm sure we can arrange a spot to play. We have three players so far and I can likely get us a fourth, perhaps even a fifth at this time. Perhaps Ms. Cunningham would care to join us for a while as well?

Below is the link with the tournament information. Good luck, if you enter. A $15 buy-in for a chance at $1,000 is a pretty good deal.

https://registration.gencon.com/regsystem/eventreg.cgi?ew=events01&eid=4690

Edited by - EdGentry on 03 Aug 2004 19:14:51
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  21:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed: Thanks for the link. I'm going to go check it out, although I very much suspect that if the event is going to run all four days, that'll keep me out of it, also. I am going to the con primarily to be Writer Guy, after all.
I definitely would like to play Saturday, unless I suddenly find out that I'm scheduled to do something that precludes it, and I doubt that's going to happen. I don't mind making my hotel room available to play in. Of course, I imagine it's going to be appointed like the usual hotel room, which means we'll either have to get creative with the furniture or sit on the floor, but I don't mind that if others don't.
I gather you're driving. Does that mean it wouldn't be horribly inconvenient for you to bring chips and cards? If I can dodge having to pack them and drag them on the plane, that would be a good thing for me.
What kind of stakes are we talking about here? My friends and I usually play 10-20 cent blinds, buy in for 20-50 bucks, and play no-limit, so you can see I'm normally a fairly low-stakes kind of guy. But I'm amenable to adjusting those parameters up or down or depending on how others feel.
Anybody else reading this want to get in on the action?
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  22:26:44  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

I'd be very happy to bring the cards and chips. I believe I can even supply a shuffler, if it's not too bulky.

As for where we play, floors are always fine by me. You're very kind to offer the use of your room.

The stakes you mentioned sound very reasonable.

This sounds like a plan. As the date gets closer, I'll email you and confirm everything.

I think it will be a heck of a good time.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  23:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little basic info on the GenCon poker tournament (for full info, follow the link Ed provided):
There's a qualifying round Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night from 8 to 12. The top three finishers from each night win a seat at the final table. The final table plays from 11 to 3 Sunday.
It costs $15 in tickets to buy in, with rebuys possible for the first couple hours of each qualifying round. Top prize is $1000. Everybody who has a seat at the final table will win something.
Sounds like a good time (and it may even be possible for me to get in on the action.)
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  19:31:24  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Wow, what an amazing guest list If only we had such delights at GENCON UK

Actually, many more authors will be in Indy than will be signing at the WotC booth. WotC generally only schedules signings for authors with new WotC titles out within a couple of months of the show. Other writers can be found at different booths and events. When I'm in the hall, I will likely be hopping between the booths for Eden Studios, Guardians of Order (who will be premiering my superhero anthology Path of the Bold at the show), and City of Heroes. I know Jean Rabe runs seminars, and Monte Cook can be found at the Malhavoc booth. I've heard rumblings that David "Zeb" Cook might be in Indy, too, which would be great. Haven't seen Zeb in years.

Of course the best place to find a lot of us together is in the various and sundry hotel bars, later in the evening. ;)

Cheers,
James Lowder
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  22:24:43  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh...Mr. Lowder. The kind offerer of advice. Excellent advice, I may add. I share those tidbits you gave me with others frequently.

Any chance you'd care to join us for poker on Saturday at the Con?

If not, I'll have to do my very best to find you at one of the other booths. I'm a huge superhero fan in general and would love to check out your new stuff and the other materials from that publisher. Thanks for the heads up :)

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2004 :  18:02:46  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

Any chance you'd care to join us for poker on Saturday at the Con?

I'm not really certain what my schedule is going to be just yet, but I appreciate the invitation and will write down the info.

quote:
If not, I'll have to do my very best to find you at one of the other booths. I'm a huge superhero fan in general and would love to check out your new stuff and the other materials from that publisher. Thanks for the heads up :)

The two superhero anthologies are from Guardians of Order. The first, Path of the Just, includes stories from Ed Greenwood, John Ostrander, Steven Grant, Brad Kayl, and Robin Laws; intro by Denny O'Neil. The second is Path of the Bold, and it will premiere at GenCon Indy. It has stories by Robert Weinberg, Mike W. Barr, John Kovalic, and some guy named Lowder; intro by Elliot S! Maggin.

And you'll want to watch for announcements from the companies behind the online superhero game City of Heroes. They've got two announcements planned for the next two weeks--one at WizardWorld Chicago, one at GenCon Indy--and both might be of interest to longtime Realms fans.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 07 Aug 2004 18:03:56
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:21:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed: Thanks for the link. I'm going to go check it out, although I very much suspect that if the event is going to run all four days, that'll keep me out of it, also. I am going to the con primarily to be Writer Guy, after all.
I definitely would like to play Saturday, unless I suddenly find out that I'm scheduled to do something that precludes it, and I doubt that's going to happen. I don't mind making my hotel room available to play in. Of course, I imagine it's going to be appointed like the usual hotel room, which means we'll either have to get creative with the furniture or sit on the floor, but I don't mind that if others don't.
I gather you're driving. Does that mean it wouldn't be horribly inconvenient for you to bring chips and cards? If I can dodge having to pack them and drag them on the plane, that would be a good thing for me.
What kind of stakes are we talking about here? My friends and I usually play 10-20 cent blinds, buy in for 20-50 bucks, and play no-limit, so you can see I'm normally a fairly low-stakes kind of guy. But I'm amenable to adjusting those parameters up or down or depending on how others feel.
Anybody else reading this want to get in on the action?

If I were anywhere close to an average Poker player I'd love to. I am only 30 minutes north of good ole Indy, and I am trying to decide if I can get to GenCon for my first time(I am on vacation this week, but I took it off to help the wife with our latest litter of puppies. 14!! is alot of work) She said it ok with her if I bail, but I have not decided yet.

As to the poker game, I am a terrible player.

Mayhaps you need a Smart ass anouncer like on the WPT to tell you all what you did wrong after each hand?

Hope you all have a great GenCon!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Red. If you're a terrible player, you're my kind of opponent! And I'd love to try and lure you into a game. But unfortunately, you're responding to an attempt to organize a game at the 2004 Gen Con (and even that ultimately didn't come off.)
No game in the offing this year so far as I know except for the ones on the convention schedule, and it looks like I'm too busy to dive into any of those tournaments. But anyway, I hope you do make it to Gen Con, and that if you do, we'll run into one another.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:19:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Red. If you're a terrible player, you're my kind of opponent! And I'd love to try and lure you into a game. But unfortunately, you're responding to an attempt to organize a game at the 2004 Gen Con (and even that ultimately didn't come off.)
No game in the offing this year so far as I know except for the ones on the convention schedule, and it looks like I'm too busy to dive into any of those tournaments. But anyway, I hope you do make it to Gen Con, and that if you do, we'll run into one another.

Oh my! I guess I need to wake up and look more closely before I post!!
I can't blame that on being new.

I did a search for threads with GenCon in the Subject. I never thought about GenCon being in Indianapolis anytime except 2006.

I guess it has been here for many years. Sorry for the mistake.

Thank you for your reply though, very nice to be so kind about it.

I will scoot on over to the GenCon Indy 2006 thread and see when you will be around so I can look you up.

Thanks and see ya next time in a thread from 2006!!

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It used to be in Milwaukee, but they moved it to Indy a few years back, and now it'll be there every year for the foreseeable future.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:33:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It used to be in Milwaukee, but they moved it to Indy a few years back, and now it'll be there every year for the foreseeable future.

That is great news for me, only 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic from my home.

It should also be a great thing for all the fans as well, as soon as the new Colts Stadium is finished(Early '08 i think), the RCA dome will come down and work starts on the new convention center expansion!
I think it will be ready for 2010. It should easy hold all events and seminars without the overspill to any nearby hotels. Not that it is bad now, but it will be even more convienient.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000