Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Draconic Cleric?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  21:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is possibly a foolish question, but can dragons be clerics? I've seen them as wizards, sorcerers, and druids, but never as a cleric. Is it just the natural pride of wyrms that prevents them from praying to a greater power, or maybe the fact that they have access to clerical spells in their inherent spellcasting ability? I would think that deities such as Tiamat would have draconic clergy.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  21:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wouldn't think so,because, as you said, their pride prevents them from praying to a higher power. But then again..it wouldn't surprise me...

"Turn your face to the shadows, and let the sun fall behind you"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  22:44:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about dragons in 3E, since I've yet to acquire the Draconomicon. However, in 2E, there was a setting called Council of Wyrms. In this setting, you could play a dragon. The classes available were regular dragon, dragon mage, dragon cleric, and dragon psionicist.

Considering the way 3E allows just about any critter to have a class, I'd certainly say that dragons could be clerics. After all, they do have their own deities...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  14:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although the official Realms has dragon gods, it seems clear enough from "Wyrms of the North" that -- usually, at least -- dragons are indeed too proud to worship gods and would see Tiamat, say, as a peer in principle if not in magnitude, an object of fear rather than reverence. (Another yes/no for Ed.)

Edited by - Faraer on 28 Jul 2004 14:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  20:07:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Draconomicon (3.5) and indeed it includes the essential Dragon divine spellcaster PrCs. So some dragons are clerics, at least generically.

Faraer is right, almost all dragons are far too self-possessed (even the good ones) to devote themselves to a deity. However, I believe the odd one or two would - the odd LG metallic dragon would probably be just humble enough, and chromatic dragons might use the power of Tiamat as a stepping stone to gain more power and more hoard. Those are the two ideas that I began with when I designed my two Realms dragon cleric NPCs.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  16:35:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Faraer,

I have to respectfully disagree. In FR5, The Savage Frontier, it demonstrates that Aerosclughpalar, a gilded dragon in human disguise is a druid of the Druids of Tall Trees grove.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aerosclughpalar

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Although the official Realms has dragon gods, it seems clear enough from "Wyrms of the North" that -- usually, at least -- dragons are indeed too proud to worship gods and would see Tiamat, say, as a peer in principle if not in magnitude, an object of fear rather than reverence. (Another yes/no for Ed.)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000