Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Paladin of Eldath?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  06:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can Eldath have a paladin? As a goddess of peace, I didn't think she could, but in FCRS (p. 228) Bron is mentioned as being a paladin of the Quiet One. What would such a paladin fight against?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  08:16:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Can Eldath have a paladin? As a goddess of peace, I didn't think she could, but in FCRS (p. 228) Bron is mentioned as being a paladin of the Quiet One. What would such a paladin fight against?

Well, given that Eldath's followers "may defend, but not punish" (Faiths and Avatars, p. 58), I'd say that many options are still open. One such possibility is to have the paladin as part of the mediator group detailed in Eldath's F&A write up. As someone trying to broker a peace in tense situations, the paladin could find all types of foes.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  14:13:42  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few suggestions:

You could even have a paladin who trains just so that he is a figurehead strong enough to ward off potential attacks on a peaceful settlement.

Or he could be a paladin who is trained in submission techniques (unarmed attacks and nets in D&D terms), going around and halting battles, or capturing violent people/inciters of violence.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  19:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

A few suggestions:

You could even have a paladin who trains just so that he is a figurehead strong enough to ward off potential attacks on a peaceful settlement.

Or he could be a paladin who is trained in submission techniques (unarmed attacks and nets in D&D terms), going around and halting battles, or capturing violent people/inciters of violence.

That's a really clever idea. Excellent job of thinking outside the box.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea. I like the concept of a nontypical paladin who doesn't constantly ride about slaying monsters and evildoers (usually with blind faith in himself and no shadees of gray). Stopping violence before it starts sounds very Eldathian.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  22:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A paladin of Eldath might well favour this aspect:
quote:
Eldath was originally seen as having the portfolio of defending and guarding ‘sacred, unspoiled places,’ and the best ‘style’ for her clergy to use combat spells to do so was by utilizing remains/relics left behind by those who despoiled such places, or died violently while engaged in destruction (e.g. orcs while part of a horde), and so on. That was where the [wheel of bones] spell came from...but yes, it doesn’t fit the way Eldath is now seen. :)
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  02:37:39  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just started a campaign set in the Unapproachable East and one of the players has a paladin of Eldath as a character. I have ruled that he is not required to be a pacifist when it comes to the truly unnatural: undead, evil outsiders and the blightspawned are all fair game. The Great Dale must be defended, yes, but it must also be cleansed.

In due course, I expect that the paladin will be retired to live a contemplative life. Of course, he'll get those hints from a slumbering hierophant druid of Eldath in about 15 levels' time....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  14:48:14  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I've just started a campaign set in the Unapproachable East and one of the players has a paladin of Eldath as a character. I have ruled that he is not required to be a pacifist when it comes to the truly unnatural: undead, evil outsiders and the blightspawned are all fair game. The Great Dale must be defended, yes, but it must also be cleansed.

In due course, I expect that the paladin will be retired to live a contemplative life. Of course, he'll get those hints from a slumbering hierophant druid of Eldath in about 15 levels' time....

A campaign in the Great Dale? With a paldin of Eldath? Sounds very interesting! You ARE gonna post it here, right?

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000