Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Druid Order(s) in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  14:22:44  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow Scribes,
I am currently trying to chronicle the life of a young Druid, yet I am sorely lacking in details about his Order. Any information would be useful, but I do have one main question: Last I heard, there was only one Grand Druid in Faerun. Has this changed? In what manner? I'm curious as to which things from the 2nd Edition "Complete Guide to Druids" do and do not apply anymore. I wish to make sure that my chronicle does not contain any piece of information that would be untrue.

The Wanderer

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  15:44:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not got that particular book, but do keep in mind that the Realms didn't always follow the material in that series of manuals.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  16:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faiths & Avatars:
quote:
All faiths that include druids among their clergy maintain their own separate druid hierarchies. That is, each religion has its own druids, archdruids, great, and grand druids. Great and grand druids of a particular faith are singular beings, and each directs activities for druids of his or her faith within a 500-mile-radius of his or her home. Each is entrusted with the organization and protection of the circles and other druidic shrines within that domain. Interfaith relations between different druidic religions in the Realms are fairly cordial. Conflicts between the faiths are settled through negotiation or, failing that, ritual or personal combat.

The precise borders of a great druid's domain are nebulous at best, but there are five known major regions within Faerūn. The first and eldest is on the southern shores of the Sea of Fallen Stars, and includes the Gulthmere Forest and the Chondalwood. The second is located in the scattered remains of ancient Cormanthor, ranging from Cormyr to the Moonsea, and includes the ancient territories of the Elven Court. The third is located in the North. It is based in the High Forest but includes all other forests and woods in the area. The fourth includes all the Moonshaes, and the fifth encompasses the Forest of Lethyr and the Rawlinswood, the forests surrounding the Great Dale. Other such regions undoubtedly exist.
Vilhon Reach refers to the 'Grand Druid of Toril'. If we make that Faerūn, then there are grand druids of Chauntea, Eldath, and Silvanus (Mielikkian druids haven't yet developed a full hierarchy). Earlier sources that give us, for instance, a single great druid of Cormanthor and nine druids (including Mourntarn) under him/her don't mention the multiple hierarchies which give me, at least, a sense of overcrowding, which isn't too druidic. But it's hard to see how senior druids of multiple gods would coexist otherwise.

None of the PHBR or DMGR series are or were officially Realmslore, though the Realms has followed them in a few cases.
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  16:42:39  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Faiths & Avatars:
quote:
All faiths that include druids among their clergy maintain their own separate druid hierarchies. That is, each religion has its own druids, archdruids, great, and grand druids...

What are the gods that have Druids in their order? Is it necessary to follow a god in order to be a Druid or can they worship Nature itself? (although that begs the question of whether Nature and it's gods are separate). My chronicle involves a splinter group of Druids, and I just wanted to see how much flexibility I have in choosing their Patron deity.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
None of the PHBR or DMGR series are or were officially Realmslore, though the Realms has followed them in a few cases.

FR might not apply what is in them, but does it contradict them? I do like the hierarchy and description of the rituals given there and am planning on using it.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  16:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, Silvanus, Eldath, and Chauntea have druidic hierarchies. Some druids serve Mielikki, Grumbar, and Kossuth, but without hierarchies. All druids in Realmslore worship a god rather than Nature per se, though it's possible that one could consider herself to worship Nature, with a side devotion to Eldath, say, and have her spells granted by Eldath.

From what I remember, plenty of David Pulver's book could be used in the Realms easily enough.

Realms druidry has been treated only sketchily thus far. I'm especially intrigued by circles such as the Circle of Shadowdale and the Battledale Seven, and it's among the subjects I suggested to Ed for his Realmslore column.

Edit: In 3E a larger list of 'nature deities' support druids -- see FRCS p. 23.

Edited by - Faraer on 15 Jul 2004 17:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  17:08:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
What are the gods that have Druids in their order? Is it necessary to follow a god in order to be a Druid or can they worship Nature itself? (although that begs the question of whether Nature and it's gods are separate). My chronicle involves a splinter group of Druids, and I just wanted to see how much flexibility I have in choosing their Patron deity.

Chauntea, Silvanus, Eldath, and Mielikki going by Faiths & Avatars from 2e. Shiallia from Powers and Pantheons.

You can also try to find the 2e campaign box set. It detailed a druid/ranger circle of Shadowdale called The Circle. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  17:10:14  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I'll have to look up the Circles and Powers that you mention. I had not heard of Kossuth or Grumbar before. Battledale what?

quote:
Faraer said:
Realms druidry has been treated only sketchily thus far. I'm especially intrigued by circles such as the Circle of Shadowdale and the Battledale Seven, and it's among the subjects I suggested to Ed for his Realmslore column.

Well, sketchy means more flexibility I guess. I'll have to see if I can find a few articles then. Thanks for all the answers .

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  17:58:27  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the largest Druid orginizations on Faerun is the "Emerald Enclave" find info on them in the Vilhon Reach accesory.
It's 2ed, but very fluffy.
Get here for free...

http://wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9520.zip
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  18:29:33  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

One of the largest Druid orginizations on Faerun is the "Emerald Enclave" find info on them in the Vilhon Reach accesory.
It's 2ed, but very fluffy.
Get here for free...

http://wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9520.zip

Much appreciated, AlacLuin. I'll read it as soon as I get off work. In fact, now that I think about it, is this Circle not mentioned in the first book of the Priests Series? Lady of Poison I believe....

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  18:55:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Much appreciated, AlacLuin. I'll read it as soon as I get off work. In fact, now that I think about it, is this Circle not mentioned in the first book of the Priests Series? Lady of Poison I believe....

Different Circle I think. :) But I could be wrong.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  18:59:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discussed the druids of the High Forest and touched on druidic issues elsewhere in this column:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829g

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  19:20:54  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was extremely helpful (and a very nice read). I especially like the conversation between the drake and the Druid. Many thanks Eric.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  21:31:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, here is a list of the druids I have seen so far, as I go through my sourcebooks and add them to my file. This list is no where near complete though, it just includes the druids I have found in my box sets so far. I have to go through the rest of the nonbox sets afterwards.

Deltra: Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Eimair: Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Feldel: Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Heirophant Druid Pheszeltan: 16th Level, N, Male Human, Cyc of the Realms, Makes his home in the Forgotten Forest

Mourntarn "the Master": Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Orben, Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Ozyman Listfitter: 7th Level, N, Male Halfling, Cyc of the Realms, Member of Halflings Inc.

Veshar: Cyc of the Realms, Member of The Circle

Aubaerus (AWE-bare-us) The Ravenmaster: 16th Level, N, Male Human, Silvanus, Dm's Sourcebook to the Realms, Thunder Peaks area

Lanseril (LAN-sair-il) Snowmantle: 8th Level, N, Male Half-elf, Silvanus, Dm's Sourcebook to the Realms, Wanders the Dalelands. Knight of Myth Drannor

Rairun (RARE-unn) Rairun Blackbrow: 7th Level, N, Male Human, Silvanus, Dm's Sourcebook to the Realms, Wanders Inner Sea region.

Lanseril Snowmantle: 10th Level, N, Male Half-elf, Silvanus, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, Knight of Myth Drannor

Gosmani Hagaris: 7th Level, N, Male Human, Chauntea, A Grand Tour of the Realms, Oversees the temple to Chauntea in Hlintar

Heirophant Druid Pheszeltan: 16th Level, N, Male Human, A Grand Tour of the Realms, Makes his home in the Forgotten Forest

High Priest Borm Hlast: 13th Level, N, Male Human, Chauntea, A Grand Tour of the Realms, Oversees the Lastholme in Hillsfar.

Orlenstar Thirlthorn: 4th Level, N, Male Human, Silvanus, A Grand Tour of the Realms, Oversees the shrine to Silvanus found in Wheloon.

Aubaerus (AWE-bare-us) The Ravenmaster: 16th Level, N, Male Human, Silvanus, Running the Realms, Can be found in Cormyr around the Thunder Peaks

Lanseril (LAN-sair-il) Snowmantle: 8th Level, N, Male Half-elf, Silvanus, Running the Realms, Wanders the Dalelands. Knight of Myth Drannor

Rairun (RARE-un) Rairun Blackbrow: 7th Level, N,Male Human, Silvanus, Running the Realms, Wanders the Dalelands, Sembia, the Vast.

Deltra: 5th Level, N, Female Human, Shadowdale, Eimair's daughter

Eimair: 9th Level, N, Female Human, Shadowdale, Leads the services in the Grove. Mourntarn's companion and right hand woman.

Feldel: 5th Level, N, Female Half-Elf, Shadowdale, Eimair's companion

Mourntarn "The Master": 12th Level, N, Male Human, Shadowdale, Leader of the Circle of Druids.

Orben: 9th Level, N, Male Human, Shadowdale, Disappeared in the Time of Troubles

Veshar: 9th Level, N, Male Half-Elf, Shadowdale, One of the eldest of the Circle, often forgets who he is talking to.

Wyllow: 14th Level, N, Female Elf, Ruins of Undermountain II, Loved and followed one of Halaster's apprentices into Undermountain.

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Jul 2004 21:35:48
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two other Orders of Druids I am aware of Are The People of the Black Blood who follow Malar and I believe there is a circle Devoted to Sebek in Mulhorandi

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  23:57:11  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Two other Orders of Druids I am aware of Are The People of the Black Blood who follow Malar and I believe there is a circle Devoted to Sebek in Mulhorandi

Where might I find information on both of these Circles? I've read about the People of the Black Blodd, yet I did not know they included Druids amongst their numbers.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  07:57:41  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Information can be found in The FRCS and In FR LoD... Although we may be wrong about them being a Druidic order. We had thought we read that but... it seems they are more just tribes of lycanthropes...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  18:11:38  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i belive there's two Druid orders

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

i belive there's two Druid orders

Well met

...and what do you believe they are, brjr2001? Please follow your replies with more information. Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  13:13:04  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are the volodni druids and human druid of the forests of Lethyr, who are lead by a Grand/Great Druid whose name I can't recall, and described in Unnaproachable East.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  15:50:21  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe The Wanderer,

Here is a good source for a bibliography of items to research further.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druid

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer

Fellow Scribes,
I am currently trying to chronicle the life of a young Druid, yet I am sorely lacking in details about his Order. Any information would be useful, but I do have one main question: Last I heard, there was only one Grand Druid in Faerun. Has this changed? In what manner? I'm curious as to which things from the 2nd Edition "Complete Guide to Druids" do and do not apply anymore. I wish to make sure that my chronicle does not contain any piece of information that would be untrue.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000