Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dispelling Strike?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  01:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a weapon quality that allows a sucessful strike to dispel magic? Ryld's Splitter, Paramore's Kneuma, and a few others seem to have this ability, but I don't know if there is a specific quality for it. Such a weapon would be at least +3, probally greater, but I'm not certain.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  17:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I believe that a Holy Avenger features this quality, but of course only when in the hands of Paladins. I have not yet encounted such a weapon ability elsewhere. But I do not have many of the non-coure non-realms Crunchie sourcebooks.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The holy avenger sword permits only the area dispel function of dispel magic. There is, however, a weapon property called dispelling which appears in Magic of Faerūn, and is updated in Player's Guide to Faerūn, the latter of which converts the price to a straight gp adjustment rather than a plus-based price, and adds a greater dispelling property as well. The less powerful version may only be used once per day, and the more powerful three times per day.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  03:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder why a gp adjustment. A plus seems more appropriate. Do you have the prices?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  03:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

I wonder why a gp adjustment. A plus seems more appropriate. Do you have the prices?

I'll pass them off to you in the mail...*reaches for PGtF*

EDIT: Sent.

Edited by - Arivia on 01 Jul 2004 03:36:30
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  03:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Arivia. Quite pricy, but I suppose it's worth it if you fight casters often.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  05:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The justification for changing the price to a gp adjustment is (or rather, would be, should anyone decide to justify it) that the property duplicates a spell effect with a set number of uses and caster level, and therefore should be priced accordingly. If you can accurately set a straight gp price for any property, then a plus-based pricing isn't really appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  05:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a weapon property in The Quintessential Wizard that allows a weapon make a targeted dispel against certain protective spells. It's a +3 enhancement -- and oddly, it requires Forge Ring in addition to the standard Craft Magic Arms and Armor.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  05:44:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also believe that the weapon property the Bookwyrm just mentioned, has received some "extra" treatment and alteration in the more recent The Quintessential Wizard II tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000