Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Conversions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  16:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know this isn't strictly "on target," but I figured those here probably do know, and it's better than wading through some wizard's leavings to find . . .
Now that 3.5 is out, is there a good (or even passable) conversion for characters - specifically 2E/S&P made characters - up to 3.5E? I have a number of 2E/S&P characters that aren't "cookie cutter" products of their classes, that I'd like to have a 3.5E version of their character sheet. I know there was an older 2E-to-3E conversion in the 3E PHB (if I remember right, as to the location of it) but it didn't seem to take into account the S&P alterations.

Feel free to contact me on the back burner, if that's easier.

Lysander

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  08:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how. I do know that, as far as I can tell, 3e+ is so different from 2e that you can't ever do a straight transit. Part of that is because of the way a 2e character advanced. CRs are very different now, and reflect how challenges are less challenging later in life. I think that level-dependant XP makes more sense, though it requires more thought and math to work out. However, it's one reason (as far as I can tell) that a 2e character converted to a 3.xe character by XP total only becomes very imbalanced.

My only suggestion, having never done this myself, is to take your character and find a yardstick. If Faedrin Dragon-Slayer is able to stand up to a balor in single combat, look up the 3.x balor and use him as a yardstick. Figure out what it takes to stand up to a balor, make Faedrin that level, and work from there.

That might need some tweaking. I'm sure it does, since I've never done it, don't have any way to do so, and I only just thought of it off the top of my head. It's a start, though.

Anyone else have a suggestion? Perhaps someone could take a look at his character and give some more concrete advice than I was able to?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  08:22:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how. I do know that, as far as I can tell, 3e+ is so different from 2e that you can't ever do a straight transit. Part of that is because of the way a 2e character advanced. CRs are very different now, and reflect how challenges are less challenging later in life. I think that level-dependant XP makes more sense, though it requires more thought and math to work out. However, it's one reason (as far as I can tell) that a 2e character converted to a 3.xe character by XP total only becomes very imbalanced.

My only suggestion, having never done this myself, is to take your character and find a yardstick. If Faedrin Dragon-Slayer is able to stand up to a balor in single combat, look up the 3.x balor and use him as a yardstick. Figure out what it takes to stand up to a balor, make Faedrin that level, and work from there.

That might need some tweaking. I'm sure it does, since I've never done it, don't have any way to do so, and I only just thought of it off the top of my head. It's a start, though.

Anyone else have a suggestion? Perhaps someone could take a look at his character and give some more concrete advice than I was able to?

Actually, I find your suggestion to be quite a good one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  19:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Actually, I find your suggestion to be quite a good one.

Certainly is better than some I'd heard before. Given I still think in S&P terms, I find that even for a 1st level character I can run through the generation process faster than stumbling through 3.xE. And, with the trait trade-offs, it makes mapping what the character can and can't do difficult (e.g. armored, sword-weilding invokers, rangers that can't use two weapons or priest spells, priests that can cast invocation/evocation spells - all allowable under S&P, for a price ) It would certainly put a damper on converting the aforementioned Invoker to 3.xE rules, only to find his longsword and studded leather were stuck in 2e - or that he had to "burn a level" (multiclass to fighter) to use it.
Figuring THAC0 to BAB (I still like the THAC0 acronym better - sounds more imposing than "My BAB is better than yours!" ) and old saving throws to new ones isn't as big of a hurdle, I would think.

Lysander
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  19:24:05  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That might need some tweaking. I'm sure it does, since I've never done it, don't have any way to do so, and I only just thought of it
off the top of my head. It's a start, though.

This is a fairly good system. You could basically gauge hw strong the person is by what hes fought, but it also should be fair combat. If the balor had 1 arm and lost his sword then it wouldnt be quite as hard as a health balor.

-The Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  11:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogueAssassin

This is a fairly good system. You could basically gauge hw strong the person is by what hes fought, but it also should be fair combat. If the balor had 1 arm and lost his sword then it wouldnt be quite as hard as a health balor.

I was sort of thinking along those lines.

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

Certainly is better than some I'd heard before. Given I still think in S&P terms[...]

S&P?

quote:

I still like the THAC0 acronym better - sounds more imposing than "My BAB is better than yours!"

Well, since THAC0 was including extras like magic weapons, what you would be comparing it to would be the actual, not base, attack bonus.

So in other words: "Hey, how'd'ya like these AABs?"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  13:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Certainly is better than some I'd heard before. Given I still think in S&P terms[...]

S&P?

Skills & Powers (online http://tinyurl.com/ysvro) ... sorry for the confusion

Actually, now that I think of it, (and if this isn't too heretical ) S&P might have influenced Prestige classes, in a "well, I want this ability, so what kind of disadvantage should be a counterweight?" kind of way.

quote:
quote:
I still like the THAC0 acronym better - sounds more imposing than "My BAB is better than yours!"

Well, since THAC0 was including extras like magic weapons, what you would be comparing it to would be the actual, not base, attack bonus.

So in other words: "Hey, how'd'ya like these AABs?"

Hmm, Abs are nice, but what about the rest of her?
(Though, that does kind of prove that my reflex thinking is 2e )

Lysander
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
S&P?

Skills and Powers-sorta AD&D 2.5 but not required-and only printed as an addendum to the core rulebooks, not a replacement. Good stuff.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000