Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormyr Dynasty?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  03:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm wondering if anyone has a list of the entire Cormyr dynasty (starting from 26 DR to Azoun IV's time)? I've got Cormyr: A Novel as well as a rather comprehensive timeline, but there are a few notable gaps (especially in the early years, between the 1st king Faerlthann and Moriann, as well as between Galaghard I and Baerovis).

Does anyone have any insights?

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  04:26:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arnwyn

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of the entire Cormyr dynasty (starting from 26 DR to Azoun IV's time)? I've got Cormyr: A Novel as well as a rather comprehensive timeline, but there are a few notable gaps (especially in the early years, between the 1st king Faerlthann and Moriann, as well as between Galaghard I and Baerovis).

Try this link. There are no dates, but it's, to my knowledge, a complete list.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  05:38:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that link is a complete listing of the lineage of Cormyr - as it currently stands. The deluxe version with dates and brief text re the kings and events in Cormyr's history is in the hot hands of WotC. Let's hope they use it wisely! But for all intents and purposes right now, it is correct.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  05:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dates are left out of the above to keep from revealing too many secrets about the royal line until the time is right, but observant readers, willing to cross-reference several sources, will note that some reigns will be, simply by necessity, far longer than others.

I will note that Cormyr is unique among the Realms in that the House Obarskyr is its sole ruling dynasty. There are interregnums, certainly, but every royal of Cormyr has been part of the Obarskyr family, and Azoun V can trace a direct descent, in 36 generations (some whisper "34," very quietly) back to Faerlthann First-King. We have this not in Tethyr, nor in Impiltur, nor anywhere else where kings have ruled for over a thousand years and cannot claim to have gods sitting in thrones beside them (*cough*Mulhorand*cough*).

-Garen, who believes that "hot hands" should flip pages more quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  06:41:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To deviate from the topic just a tiny bit, here's an idea I had a while back.

Someone in the past, a noble or perhaps a royal, was known to have committed a crime against the Crown. This person was, at the least, exiled for their actions.

What a descendent has since found is evidence that the traitor was, in fact, a doppelganger. This doppelganger committed the crime, and left the innocent noble (or royal) to take the fall for it.

This descendent wants to prove the innocence of his/her ancestor. A noble goal, pardon the pun. The descendant hires the PCs to help do so.

But perhaps someone else doesn't want that secret revealed. This someone else could be descendents of a group that the doppelganger was working for, or it could be rival nobles... Or it could even be Crown agents, who wish to keep the truth, either to keep the monarchy looking good, or to protect deeper secrets...

To make it really interesting, take the last option. The PCs unravel the old plot, and wind up agreeing to keep it secret. But, in their strivings for the truth, they alerted yet another group, who got to digging around, and is now in danger of learning some of those deeper secrets...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the only information I have on hand at the moment -
quote:
26 to ??? Faerlthann
Imlon "the Touched"
Bryndar
Eskrius
Rhiiman "the Glorious"
Embrus "the Old"
Kaspler "the Learned"
Imbre
Sacrast
Daravvan
Dorglor
Embrold
Irbruin
Moriann
Tharyann "the Elder"
??? to 242 Boldovar "the Mad"
242 to 245 Iltharl "the Insufficient"
245 to ??? Gantharla*
Roderin "the Bastard"
Thargreve "the Lesser"
Holordrym
Belereve
Thargram
Besmra*
Torst
Gordroun
Keldroun
Berost "the Bold"
Gorann
Edrae "the Doomed Babe"
Ulbaeram
Silbran
Raerboth
Baerildo
Belmuth "the Bastard"
Sargrannon
Ortolar
Imbrus
Artreth
Zoumdan
Imbrus II
Meurthe "Mad Meurthe"*
Kasplara*
Jasl "the Royal Jester"
Arathra "the Little Spider"*
Barander "the Tortured King", "the Scarred Advisor"
Thargreve "the Greater", "the Peacebringer"
Jarissra*
Andilber "the Unfortunate"
c 376 to at least 389 Anglond (his son, Azoun, was still Crown Prince in
389; see Sea of Fallen Stars)
Azoun I "the Crown Prince of Battles"
From before 429 to 480 Duar "Longyears"
Galaghard I
Galaghard II "Father of the Dark Princes"
c 629 Draxius "the Neverdying"
Bryntarth I
c 900 Galaghard III
Rhiigard "the Mourning King" [Rhigaerd I]
Bryntarth II
c 1018 Arangor
Azoun II
Proster
Baerovus
Palaghard I
1187 to 1210 Pryntaler
1210 to 1227 Dhalmass
1227 to 1261 Palaghard II
1261 to 1277 Azoun III (note that the 1st Edition Boxed Set has Azoun III
dying in 1275 DR, but the later Cormyr: A Novel has him dying in 1277, "nine years ago" in Chapter 28)
1277 to 1286 Salember "the Rebel Prince" (remember, this one was a regent
that styled himself a king)
(1277 on) 1286 to 1336 Rhigaerd II [He had to wrest the throne from his uncle]
1336 to 1371 Azoun IV
1371 to present Azoun V

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  16:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dates listed are correct (I should know; that's from one of my posts on the REALMS-L; I should also note that the asterisks (*) are Cormyr's ruling queens, and the rest kings).

Those are the dates that can be reliably pulled from Cormyr: A Novel and the various relevent Dragon Magazine articles. There are those of us who continuously--some would say obsessively--update our personal lists to make them mesh properly, so much so that even an off-hand remark about a slaying or a quotation is enough to make us triple check these numbers, but until we get the Royal Lineage out and in print, there's only so much that can be said.
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  22:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone - that was exactly what I was hoping for. Fantastic!

On the topic of dynasties (and Garen brought it up before I was about to) - does anyone have any information on the Impiltur Dynasty? My sources (FR9, FR6, timeline) is pretty bleak on that country...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  23:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen points at George, chuckles, and flees. Swiftly.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  04:45:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know I've written up a list of the monarchs of Old and New Impiltur spread over 4 dynasties and a period known as "The Kingless Years" (926DR-1097DR). I'm currently in the process of fleshing them out ala the Cormyr lineage.

If you are looking for a few that I've come up with and are [ducks and glances sidelong at Kuje] quasi-canon, then see my Soargar's Legacy article in Dragon #277. The rest is all highly unofficial and uncanonical and certainly not fit for the high scholarly standards of Candlekeep.

Maybe, one day ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  04:46:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and check out the "Damaran" write-up in 'Races of Faerun' for a few more tidbits.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  22:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Soargar's Legacy article from Dragon #277 and the Damaran write-up in Races of Faerun. I'll check them out and add what I find to my list.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the royal line here with as many dates as I was able to uncover. I can't say for sure, but it appears that not all the kings are listed in order that they reigned. I suspect that where there appear to be gaps between the reign of rulers, one of the kings or queens that appears without any dates listed sat on the throne. I have also included in this list the spouses of the Obarskyr ruler where it was known.
I also didn't include Alusair or Azoun V since these come from my own campaign set in 1362 D.R.

Please add any corrections or needed changes.

The Obarskyr Royal Family

All dates here are based on DaleReckoning for ease of use with other products.

The Obarskyr
Royal Family
The kings listed here are extracted from "The Royal Lineage of Cormyr" by Ed Greenwood and Grant Christie
Ondeth the Forefather & the Founder (never ruled as king)
01. Faerlthann, the First King 26 to ??? (b.? - d.55)
02. Imlon the Touched
03. Bryndar
04. Eskrius
05. Rhiiman the Glorious 106-??? (b.? - 131)
06. Embrus the Old
07. Kaspler the Learned
08. Imbre
09. Sacrast c. 116
10. Daravvan (after 100)
11. Dorglor (after Daravvan)
12. Embrold (after Dorglor)
13. Irbruin (after 147 and after Embrold)

14. Moriann 186 to ??? (b.? to d.198)
15. Tharyann the Elder 198 to ??? (b.? - d.231)
16. Boldovar the Mad 231 to 242 (b.? - d.242) fell from a parapet after killing a consort in madness
17. Iltharl the Insufficient 242 to 245 (b.? - d.245)
18. Gantharla, First-Queen* 245 to 289? (b.? - d.289)
19. Roderin the Bastard 289 to ??? (b.? - d.317)
20. Thargreve the Lesser 317 to ??? (b.? - d.334)

21. Holordrym
22. Belereve
23. Thargram
24. Besmra*
25. Torst
26. Gordroun
27. Keldroun
28. Berost the Bold
29. Gorann
30. Edrae the Doomed Babe
31. Ulbaeram
32. Silbran
33. Raerborth
34. Baerildo
35. Belmuth the Bastard
36. Sargrannon
37. Ortolar
38. Imbrus I
39. Artreth
40. Zoumdan
41. Imbrus II
42. Meurthe, Mad Meurthe*
43. Kasplara*
44. Jasl the Royal Jester
45. Arathra the Little Spider*
46. Thargreve the Greater
47. Jarissra*

48. Anglond c 376 to at least 389 <362 to ???> disputed (b.? - d.379)
49. Azoun I 379 to ??? (b.? to d.393)

50. Galaghard I 406 to ??? (b.? - d.416)

51. Duar "Longyears" 425 to 480 (b.385 – d.480)
1st Queen ??? Turcasson - Melineth Turcasson, father-in-law to King Duar.
2nd Queen Threena Cormaeril
3rd Queen Lady Jhanthyl Lagarr b.454 - d.510 (wife of Kuthor Lagarr,Lord of Irongates Gard, who fell to Duar in battle)

52. Bryntarth I 538 to ??? (b.? - d.581)

53. Draxius the Undying <611 to ???> (b.? - d.643)

54. Galaghard II 740 to ??? (b.? - d.751)

55. Baerovis 841 to ??? (b.? - d.862)

56. Galaghard III 885 to ??? (b.? - d.910)
57. Rhiigard, Rhigaerd I 910 to ??? (b.? - d.932)

58. Bryntarth II 953 to ??? (b.? - d.968)

59. Arangor 996 to ??? (b.? - d.1021)
60. Azoun II 1021 to ? (? to d.1046)

61. Proster
62. Barander
63. Andilber 1079 to ??? (b.? - d.1088)

64. Palaghard I 1164 to 1187
65. Prytaler 1187 to 1210 (b.1164 - d.1210)
Queen Alvandira Crownsilver (b.1165 - d. 1204)
66. Dhalmass 1210 to 1227 (b.1186 - d.1227)
Queen Jhalass Huntsilver (b.1209 - d.1227)
67. Palaghard II 1227 to 1261 (b.1214 - d.1261)
Queen Alendue Wyrvar (b.1219 - d.1246)
68. Azoun III 1261 to 1277 (b.1241 - d.1277)
Queen Sulesta Halabarr (b.1251 - d.1274) from Calimshan
69. Salember the Rebel Prince 1277 to 1286 (b.1246 - d.1286)
70. Rhigaerd II 1286 to 1336 (b.1269 - d.1335)
Queen Tanalusta Truesilver (b.1286 - d.1332)
71. Azoun IV 1336 to present (b.1307)
Queen Filfaeril Selazair (b.1311)

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:56:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Someone in the past, a noble or perhaps a royal, was known to have committed a crime against the Crown. This person was, at the least, exiled for their actions.

What a descendent has since found is evidence that the traitor was, in fact, a doppelganger. This doppelganger committed the crime, and left the innocent noble (or royal) to take the fall for it.

This descendent wants to prove the innocence of his/her ancestor. A noble goal, pardon the pun. The descendant hires the PCs to help do so.

But perhaps someone else doesn't want that secret revealed. This someone else could be descendents of a group that the doppelganger was working for, or it could be rival nobles... Or it could even be Crown agents, who wish to keep the truth, either to keep the monarchy looking good, or to protect deeper secrets...

To make it really interesting, take the last option. The PCs unravel the old plot, and wind up agreeing to keep it secret. But, in their strivings for the truth, they alerted yet another group, who got to digging around, and is now in danger of learning some of those deeper secrets...

Wooly, did you get that idea from Elminster in Myth Drannor? I remember reading the novel and the Srinshee was telling Elminster about an elven lord that unwittingly married a doppleganger. He and the creature had offsprings that had disappeared into the Marsember and the Vast Swamp...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  03:24:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wooly, did you get that idea from Elminster in Myth Drannor? I remember reading the novel and the Srinshee was telling Elminster about an elven lord that unwittingly married a doppleganger. He and the creature had offsprings that had disappeared into the Marsember and the Vast Swamp...

Nope, not at all. I've only read that book once, and it was a while ago...

I think what inspired the idea was a bit from the novel Ring of Winter. Early in the novel, when Hydel and Artus are at the Stalwart's club, there's a noble there who's protesting a book. The book correctly portrays the guy's father as someone who moronically ignored orders and got himself killed in the Tuigan campaign.

It got me to thinking, what if they guy was right? What if his pater was being impersonated by someone else, who had his own reasons for leading a disastrous charge?

I played with the idea for a while, until it evolved into the one you quoted.

Asking "What if...?" and putting an alternate spin on an existing idea are great ways to come up with interesting new ideas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  20:20:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Arnwyn (and anyone else interested),

Even though this is going to be coming two years after your post, I posit a great many loreseekers would be interested in having one location to go to and that would be the Grand History of the Realms, p.76-7.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Arnwyn

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000