Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Lisa Smedman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  06:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa a quick question

Will Vanity's Brood deal with or touch on the ruined Jhaamdathan city of Lirremar which lies beneath Hlondeth?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Smedman
Forgotten Realms Author

12 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  05:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Lisa Smedman's Homepage Send Lisa Smedman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
No, Vanity's Brood won't be exploring the ancient Jhaamdathan city of Lirremar. It will, however, be delving into a certain ancient temple that was rediscovered by House Extaminos centuries ago. (Bet you can guess who's using it now.)
I also got the go-ahead from WOTC to tell you all about my next project. It's going to be a trilogy (titles yet to be hashed out) that focuses on the drow. Specifically, on Hallistra of the War of the Spider Queen series. It's going to continue one of the threads from that series, and should be a blast to write. The first book is scheduled for release in February 2007.
And that's all I'm allowed to say!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  09:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Smedman

Hi,
No, Vanity's Brood won't be exploring the ancient Jhaamdathan city of Lirremar. It will, however, be delving into a certain ancient temple that was rediscovered by House Extaminos centuries ago. (Bet you can guess who's using it now.)
I also got the go-ahead from WOTC to tell you all about my next project. It's going to be a trilogy (titles yet to be hashed out) that focuses on the drow. Specifically, on Hallistra of the War of the Spider Queen series. It's going to continue one of the threads from that series, and should be a blast to write. The first book is scheduled for release in February 2006.
And that's all I'm allowed to say!

Is the Hallistra series post Resurrection or pre WOSQ?

Also does this mean where getting 2 books from you next year, or did you mean the first Hallistra novel will be out in Feb 2007?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Smedman
Forgotten Realms Author

12 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Lisa Smedman's Homepage Send Lisa Smedman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! Sorry, I meant to say the first book will be out in February 2007, with the second book scheduled for later that year and the third in 2008. And yes, the trilogy will take place after the events of War of the Spider Queen.
Cheers! Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  14:17:36  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds completely awesome, Lisa! After you work with you current trilogy, you give me something to look forward to in 2007, as well! Huzzah!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  04:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa, I am really looking forward to Vanity's Brood. In fact, I am impatiently waiting for March to roll around so I can read it.

One question I am curious about: back when Serpent Kingdoms came out, Eric reintroduced a lot of intriguing scaly folk deities. When asked on the boards where the serpent gods keep their divine realms and if they have their own plane, he mentioned mysteriously that you may or may not have an answer for that in your forthcoming book. I am dying to know if there is any chance that you do touch on the planar realms of the serpent gods at all in Vanity's Brood?
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  04:19:22  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage  Send jameslt0 an AOL message  Send jameslt0 an ICQ Message  Click to see jameslt0's MSN Messenger address  Send jameslt0 a Yahoo! Message Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how I feel about Vanity's Brood. I am really...unhappy about the fate of Karrell. I dont suppose there is small chance she will come back in the last book. After all, RA Salvatore had a character that survived in the abys with a demon.

James
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29896 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  06:23:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

After all, RA Salvatore had a character that survived in the abys with a demon.

James

Yeah, but that wasn't his original intention.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  15:02:36  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly! Don't let that secret out!

Lisa,

In the trilogy you're going to write about Halisstra (yay!), as her now being a servant of Lolth, is her appearance going to be the same or is she different? Or is that a NDA?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

TheSource
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2005 :  16:49:58  Show Profile  Visit TheSource's Homepage Send TheSource a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Lisa,

I just read Venom's taste and Viper's Kiss and I must say..they were wonderful...I have read forgotten realms novels since 1988 and I've read everything thats been put out atleast 10 times each..because of this and the fact that not too many forgooten realms novels published in a years time..I havent read in a while..I happened upon your books though and decided that I needed to give them a shot...I am glad I did..your a wonderful author!!

I have two questions if you'll indulge me.

1)I really enjoyed the relationship Between Karrell and Arvin in Viper' Kiss..It gave me a broader perspective of the Yuan-Ti race...intil Viper's Kiss..they were only displayed as arrogant and cunning..with a touch of a superiority complex..I know from the brief description of Vanity's Brood that Karrell is alive..so I am happy about that..my question is this...Do you mean to have Karrell with Arvin(Like Drizzt is with Catti-Brie and Cadderly is with Danica) or was it simply put in Viper's Kiss to advance the plot and add another element to the story?

2)I found your use of a psion interesting..if not confusing..no offense to you by any means..I recently read the Everis Cale Trilogy which had a psion in it and the powers display and overall mechanics of the character were radically different...was there a reason for this? Is you use of a psion more traditional based than the one used in the Cale Trilogy?
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2005 :  23:42:53  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met again,

I just found some details about "Vanity's Brood" on the WOTC Website : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/954647400

I do not know if this link is meant to be seen, but i hope so ....
do anyone know something about the plane of Smaragh ??
There are also some good news

I'm really looking forward to the final book of the "The House of Serpents Trilogy".

Edited by - Dewaint on 24 Dec 2005 23:58:43
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Seeker

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  09:00:25  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Lisa's website the new trilogy is called "Lady Penitent", with its first novel "Sacrifice of the Widow".

Source: Lisa Smedman
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Smedman
Forgotten Realms Author

12 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  05:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Lisa Smedman's Homepage Send Lisa Smedman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On to your questions...

Lady Penitent trilogy
Halisstra’s going to look very different from her original (drow) appearance. After her transformation by Lolth, she’s no longer able to do many of the things she was before, but the transformation has given her some really scary abilities. (At least, as currently envisioned by this author; remember, I’m still in the first-draft stages of his novel.) Watch for Halisstra’s new appearance on the cover of book 1 of the trilogy. I haven’t seen any cover art yet, but I’ve talked over a concept with my editor. I think the end result is going to look really cool.

House of Serpents trilogy
Yup, Arvin and Karrell were definitely planned as a continuing item. The inspiration for the dynamic between them came from a science fiction novel I read years ago (I’d give you the title, but it’s still in a box somewhere, since I recently moved) that has a great “guy meets girl, girl irritates guy to no end, guy eventually falls in love with girl” sequence in it. I was trying for a similar feel with Arvin and Karrell. Arvin starts off as such a lonely guy, I figured he needed someone to care about (and to care about him).

As for psionics, I deliberately went with a different “feel” than has been seen in previous AD&D products. I wanted to put my own stamp on the psionics system and make it more mystical yet at the same time grounded in the body. My take is basically a riff that blends chakras, and yoga, and tai chi, and meditation as its starting points. I rationalized this mix, in the trilogy, as an “eastern” variant of psionics. I think I came up with something that’s quite a contrast to the more “traditional” way psionics portrayed—which always struck me as a surreal experience with a feel much like immersion in a computer-generated virtual reality. Gamers can choose whichever flavor they like best; the game mechanics remain the same, in either case. (Although the mechanics did change, midway through my writing of the trilogy, so I’ll blame any mechanics “glitches” in my novels on that.)

Smaragd (please don’t ask me to pronounce it since I don’t have the requisite forked tongue!) was a place I had fun fleshing out. It’s also got the variant spelling Smargard. I used, as my starting point, the description on page 103 of the Manual of the Planes. For those who don’t have that book, the sum total of that description is as follows:

“The 74th layer is home to Merrshaulk, the yuan-ti deity. It is a realm of ever-shifting colors, moist jungles, acid rain and fermenting poisons. There may be no jungle floor at all, just layer after layer of darker and dimmer forest canopies.”
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  06:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I am so stoked! I just went to the website and read the sample chapter. February is thankfully a very short month, as I can barely stand to wait for March to roll around to read Vanity's Brood!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  20:23:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Smedman

“The 74th layer is home to Merrshaulk, the yuan-ti deity. It is a realm of ever-shifting colors, moist jungles, acid rain and fermenting poisons. There may be no jungle floor at all, just layer after layer of darker and dimmer forest canopies.”

Isn`t Merrshaulk a part of Sseth nowadays, and isn`t Sseth currently imprisoned by Set?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  01:04:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa,

I've lost your email address, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed Vanity's Brood. It was a great finish to a very enjoyable trilogy.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  13:46:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Lisa,

I've lost your email address, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed Vanity's Brood. It was a great finish to a very enjoyable trilogy.

--Eric

This author's website has an email address listed.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 12 Mar 2006 14:46:34
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards have posted a Sample Chapter for Vanity's Brood

http://www.wizards.com/books/downloads/products_frnovel_954647400.zip

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  19:32:47  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage  Send VonRaventheDaring a Yahoo! Message Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved Vanity's Brood Lisa! I just had to let you know. Will you continue to have more stories about Arvin and Karrell? I loved the addition of the Wild Dwarf as well. I would have to say that you are the queen of the yuan-ti! I loved your interpertation of the psionics and their secondary manifistations. I would love to see the stats for Arvin sometime though, as i was confused as to what type of psionist he was. Loved the major baddies you through in and the use of MindSeed in particular. Hope you continue to flesh out the Yuan-ti and the region. Looking forward to reading more of your writing.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  09:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa I was wondering if you had a realms date for when Lolth started granting spells again?

According to Paul Kemp Wizards didnt give him a date for WOSQ novel but I figure as your writing novels that follow on from the WOSQ series you might have a date

Thanks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Andferne
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  09:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Andferne's Homepage Send Andferne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa :) I would like to say first that I have enjoyed the books you hve written so far and can't wait for the next series about Halistra.

My question would be about Halistra and her transformation. Now they were told only one would walk out of there alive. That was Quanthel. Halistra was bitten and wrapped in a cacoon of sorts and basically reborn or tunred into something. Now from reading the desription's of what went on I can't help but think se got turned into some kind of Vampire of sorts. Her eig bitten on the neck first and put in that cacoon(could of been coffin for her) an then being torn out of itjust screamed to me that she got tunred into Lolths chosen as a Vampire, and the cover art I have seen could support this in a way. So I guess I would like to know if you could tell us a little about her new status. Mayb some teaser as to not spoil the book. Of course I understnad completely if you can not for a number of reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  13:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As February is approaching fast now, does "Sacrifice of a Widow" gives any hint with regard the time of the end of the Silence?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  22:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

As February is approaching fast now, does "Sacrifice of a Widow" gives any hint with regard the time of the end of the Silence?

Eric and Phil are working on it they havent got back to me in my time line thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  11:44:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa! Great start into the new year of 2007.

To my question: Is your story 'Necessary sacrifices' featured in 'Realms of the Elves' anyhow related to the new upcoming trilogy of Lady Penitent?

Or to any other novels or stories you wrote?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Jan 2007 11:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  08:24:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cause Lisa wasn't on these boards for almost over a year now, I decided to send her an email. I got the following answers regarding my questions and her concent to post them here for all those of you that are interested as well. So the next two posts will show you our email corrispondence.

Greetz, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000