Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Lady of Poison (Possible Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  15:30:03  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have details on Gunggari´s home. As far as I can recall something called "Osland" has never been featured in any of the roleplaying sourcebooks. Although the book is a very enjoyable read, I find myself quite puzzled regarding the need of putting an "Aboriginee" in a Forgotten Realms novel. And calling his weapon a dizheri instead of calling it "didgeridoo" right from the start seemed at least a bit cheesy to me...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  16:40:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Heppe

And calling his weapon a dizheri instead of calling it "didgeridoo" right from the start seemed at least a bit cheesy to me...

I was under the impression that a didgeridoo was a musical instrument, not a weapon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zephyr
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  22:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Zephyr's Homepage Send Zephyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost completed the reading of this novel and I have a few comments to share. I agree that the editing of this novel was generally poor. I admit that after having trudged through the first few chapters, I made a conscious effort to locate the editor of the book within the first few pages of the novel. The faulty grammar in certain sentences along with the sloppy opening and closing of quotation marks made the read somewhat arduous. Also, the missing conjunctions and other parts of speech made it even more of a chore to understand certain passages.

However, I am enjoying the story so far. I agree that certain aspects of the story seem too serendipitous to be believable but often times it proves to be rather charming.

I have just reached the chapter of the book where Ususi uses the Keystone to transport the lot of them to where Damanda and Bonehammer are resting. This takes place after the altercation at the Nar Hermitage. I am unsure of when Ususi gained control of the Keystone. I know that it was wrested from her by Fallon's deception, who in turn used it to hie away Ash to Anamellech. Once Fallon perished at the hands of Lex, was it then that Ususi regained the lost Keystone? Or did it happen earlier? From the way that I read it, she had lost it to Fallon and then suddenly, when they were considering their options after the flight of Damanda and Bonehammer, on page 263, it is written, "The Imaskari grasped the Keystone that she still wore around her neck." Can someone calirfy this for me? It is really nagging at the back of my mind. Did I forget some event that brought Ususi and the Keystone together at some earlier point in the book?

Thanks for any help.

Zephyr

Edited by - Zephyr on 02 Sep 2004 23:03:07
Go to Top of Page

Zephyr
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  23:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Zephyr's Homepage Send Zephyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more thing... there is a sentence that is confusing me and I thought maybe someone could clarify its meaning. It can be found on page 271. It reads, "There was an arch that still stood, but it looked upon an empty cinder, flooded with foul water." Is he saying that the arch was flooded with foul water and that it overlooked an empty cinder? As far as I know, a cinder is a piece of coal or wood that is no longer combustible. I don't understand what this means... yes, these are the types of things that irk me. Help!!!

Zephyr
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  19:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, how did you rate the novel overall? The setting got my interest and i'd like to read more on Narfell and the old empire which existed centuries befoer Lady of Poison.

Overall, the book was ok. Nothing outstanding but looking back on it, I DID enjoy it. It felt a little adventure-plot style in places, like the feeling when playing a module.

Quick question - What is Talona's current portfolio? Did she take Moanders rot portfolio?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  20:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talona's portfolio: Disease and Poison

Nope no rot, though it certainly would fit. I'm not sure that any deity has rot in their portfolio...

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  20:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Talona's portfolio: Disease and Poison

Nope no rot, though it certainly would fit. I'm not sure that any deity has rot in their portfolio...

Thanks Woody

Most odd, it felt more like I was reading about a deity of rot than a deity of poison. Hmmmm

So, the rot portfolio is up for grabs....any takers?! Nah, thought not

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  21:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I personally hate to bash people's work, I pretty much hated this book.

First off, the plot was like a quest that someone sets out for a first-time DnD player. You have to go kill this guy, and then kill some other guy that's somehow related to this, then do a favor for this person to get what you want to kill the other guy.

Secondly, the dialogue was HORRIBLE. Phrases such as "Up and at 'em" and "Okay" and others DEFINATELY do not belong in any medeival setting, especially not FR. The word "Okay" came around in the late 1880's and "Up and at 'em" around the 1920's. Now I'm not trying to be nitpicky, I'm just pointing out that if you want to keep the genre pure and believable, keep the dialogue practical, the way that you'd picture someone from the Dark Ages speak.

Thirdly, I noticed that some people said that Marrec had a lot of good character development. Um...WTH? First off, he acted exactly the same throughout the novel. The flashbacks that he had that were supposed to signal remorse and sadness never once affected the way he acted in the regular story himself.

Fourthly, all the characters mirrored each other. All of them acted the same in every situation. Only a few signature traits were laid out for each character: Marrec was the strong and silent type, Gungarri was more of a gung-ho wise man, Ususi was slightly snobbish and anti-social, and Elowen was a bit whiny. And not all these traits kept with them through the story anyway. They were all the same ****Slight Spoiler*** The only well-portrayed character I found in the book was the only good dude that died, but the name escapes me. Fallon, I think.

Fifthly, this book was very hack-n-slash, IMHO. The story seemed rushed, virtually no character development as I've mentioned, and it seemed a lot of the time like the author was trying to sound smart. He used all kinds of weird phrases, used lots of words that could have easily been substituted by another. Why do this? Keep it comprehendible and so the reader will actually enjoy what they're reading. Leave the sophisticated style to Richard Lee Byers, because he does a great job with it and sounds a whole lot better than how Cordell does in his writing.

And lastly, no plot twists! The story was simple throughout, as I initially mentioned in the beginning. Go kill someone, kill another, do something for someone else to get something that can help you kill the last guy. No plot twists until the very end when it's revealed what Ash's purpose was.

Anyway, that's my opinion on this novel. I hope I didn't offend anyone and I welcome any replies. Just know that I wasn't bagging on anyone else's opinion as I did this review. I was only stating mine.

Thanks.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just thought I'd state my opinion as well. Personally I really liked this book. I liked the unique characters coming from very different backgrounds with interesting heritage. I loved the places they visit from serene forests, blighted forests, a pocket plane, and of course the forgotten burried city. I really enjoyed the bad guys as well even though each one didn't get much spotlight. This really could have been a great series but it had to be compacted into one book and you can tell this. So the book reads a lot like a campaign put together because of this, but so what? I found it very interesting and likeable and I enjoyed the quick pace which is what I expected from a stand alone book. If I want something really deep with a lot of developement then I read trilogies or series, which I do read a lot of and enjoy their depth as well.

In conclusion my opinion is that this is a great book for a fast light read.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  22:40:14  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only got about halfway through the book so I shall pretty much sit on the fence for now, but one point is getting on my nerves. Marrec is obviously of Medusa blood- full blood or not I don't think that I have got that far yet so would a CG Deity take a LE 'creature' for a cleric. And what are the ramifications of cutting of a medusa's snake tresses?

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  01:20:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Sirius, how did you rate the novel overall?

Pretty much the same way I rated most of the books in the Rogues series. I didn't dislike the novel. However, nothing made it unique or really enjoyable like a good majority of the other Realms books I have recently read.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  17:45:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As part of his series of 30th Anniversary Interviews, Monte Cook's latest update features A Talk with Bruce R. Cordell.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 18 Dec 2004 17:46:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  06:29:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To echo most of the other comments on this thread, I thought this was a pretty average effort. It reinforced some of the impressions I am getting about the "newer" FR novelists, chief of which seems to be: the more exotic your character is the more interesting it is for the reader. With the advent of FR 3E we are getting Arctic dwarves, Deep Imaskari, avariel, exotic Osslanders (wherever that is ...), people with medusa blood in them, etc. etc. It's like the authors went to the Monty Haul school of writing with "different" being equated to originality. As a trend, it's really putting me off the new FR novels that are coming out.

I think ALL prospective FR novelists should read Ed's "Shadows of the Avatar" trilogy to see that a bunch of humans can be just as interesting as a phase doppleganger elf troll. I mean, really it's getting beyond a joke.

As for "Lady of Poison", aside from the wierd party mix, the thing that got my goat was the defeat of the Rotting Man. Want to run a campaign using UE? Well, one of the major plot elements (and a good one I thought) has been pretty much vanquished thanks to a decidedly average bit of prose.

When, oh when are FR authors going to subscribe to the 'less is more' theory. We don't always have to defeat the Rotting Man. Sometimes it's just as interesting to defeat one of his lieutenants and have him lurking in the background to reap his vengeance some time in the future - outside and after the novel.

Unfortunately, the bottom line appears to be that the FR novel team doesn't really give much of a fig about how their prose affects the gaming aspect of the Realms. There was talk a while ago about there being more communication and synergy between the two departments, but I'm not so sure that's happening anymore. If it is, it appears that novels are laying it down as to how it is and leaving gaming to try and pick up the pieces. Sad.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  07:34:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
It reinforced some of the impressions I am getting about the "newer" FR novelists, chief of which seems to be: the more exotic your character is the more interesting it is for the reader.

Give me a tortured character any day over an exotic character. But, you are right about this trend. What's the first new series for this year? Is it Athans? If so anyone willing to take bets on how many exotic creatures the series will feature?

quote:

It's like the authors went to the Monty Haul school of writing with "different" being equated to originality. As a trend, it's really putting me off the new FR novels that are coming out.

My question is, with it being seen in more than one series...is this coming from the authors? Or is this being directed from on higher?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:23:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good question SB. Ed's novels haven't seemed to have featured exotics as protagonists yet, nor did Rich Baker's "Forsaken House" (one FR novel I was damn impressed with). I just hope the trend doesn't continue.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a good question SB. Ed's novels haven't seemed to have featured exotics as protagonists yet, nor did Rich Baker's "Forsaken House" (one FR novel I was damn impressed with). I just hope the trend doesn't continue.

-- George Krashos

Wasn't there a water genasi in the latter? Granted not as widespread on the exotic as some of the other novels you've mentioned, but still a bit on the unusual side.

And yes, it was a very impressive tome.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  16:03:06  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Daemonfey aren't exotic?

I'm not trying to pick nits, but I thought the generalizations in a couple of your posts warranted a response. Like the following:

"It appears that the FR novel team doesn't give a fig about how their prose affects the gaming aspects of the Realms?"

Speaking for myself, I can only say -- utter nonsense. I play in the Realms, DM in the Realms, and am quite conscious of how my stories affect the "gaming aspects" of the world. I also have immense respect for Ed's creation (and Ed personally) and therefore tread carefully. I have perceived a similar attitude in the editors and other authors with whom I've worked.

It may be that you aren't pleased with the effects that some novels have had on the gaming aspects of the Realms, but it doesn't follow from the mere fact of your displeasure that the "FR novel team" doesn't give a fig about those effects. Instead, it probably means that the team thought that the changes were good, logical, and somehow enriched an already rich milieu.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  16:49:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On reflection, I agree with Paul that my sweeping generalisation he picked out was unwarranted. But that still doesn't change the fact that seemingly, at least for "Lady of Poison", either Bruce Cordell or the novels dept. or both didn't quite understand what they were doing with this novel viz a viz the gaming side of the Realms. If they were fully aware of what they were doing, then I simply think they made a rotten decision as the novel certainly impacts adversely on the gaming utility of the Unapproachable East gaming product. At the very least it impacts upon a DM's flexibility in running their own campaign using the Rotting Man plot element.

As for Daemonfey being exotic, well they are indeed. There is also a darn good reason, rooted in the bedrock of FR continuity and realmslore, as to why they can be 'around' if you set a novel in the North. I'm not against using 'exotic' protagonists, so much as using them without a really convincing reason as to the whys and wherefores of their existence and place in the Realms and a novel.

That's why I have a real difficulty with, for example, an avariel, as portrayed in 'The Rage', running a warrior's academy in Lyrabar, Impiltur. Every Zhentarim and Thayan archmage within 500 miles would be swooping down to grab the gallant Taegan for magical experimentation. More correctly, the question should be: why did this character have to be an avariel? This fact adds nothing to the story (he functions, relates and interacts as an normal elf who happens to be able to fly). Avariel are not commonplace in the Realms. People do not shrug when they see them and say, "Oh, a winged elf."

Given Paul's comments regarding his stance on Realms writing, I'll have to grab some of his work and have a look see. Hopefully I won't find any avariel characters without a good reason for them being there.

Oh, and the criticisms I make are intended to be constructive - even if occasionally they seem not to be. WotC have an absolute pigeon in me: I buy every FR novel and gaming product whether they are good, bad or indifferent. I take a long term view of the Forgotten Realms as I've had the good fortune (with thousands of other fans, no doubt) to see how the products - novels and gaming stuff - have progressed since 1987 and what has worked and not worked. More importantly, you can pick trends and styles regarding both novels and gaming stuff. Some of these trends have had a negative impact on the Realms IMHO (i.e. making it the default D&D setting for 2E and hence having it function as a catch-all for every aspect of D&D that was introduced during that time). Others have been more positive: the desire by some Realms writers to consult with Ed and pick his brain re their current project or their desire to make their new work fit with 'what has gone before'.

What has also been abundantly clear over the decades is that some writers and designers haven't been as respectful as Paul states he is, with respect to their Realms work. This respect quotient waxes and wanes as gaming trends and influences outside the Realms impact upon the setting. Not all of them are good. Just because the idea of 3E is that your PCs can do anything, be anything doesn't mean that this philosophy works in the Realms every single time someone comes up with a "good idea". It has to be a "good idea for the Realms" - a subtle but real distinction.

When reading a new FR novel or gaming product I try and separate my criticism from being something that is a "creative disagreement" (i.e. that's not how I would have re-introduced the city of Shade to the Realms). What I look for in an FR novel or gaming product is new material that is consistent with the pre-existing FR material on a particular topic, doesn't strain credulity regarding how it fits with this material and is well thought out, explained and adds something to the FR firmament. Bad stuff (IMO) is new material that lacks FR flavor, contradicts pre-existing FR material, weaves together disparate elements present in the Realms but doesn't bind them together into a coherent whole (i.e. there ARE Arctic dwarves in the Realms so my novel set in Calimshan can feature one. It's like me writing a novel set in Stockholm, Sweden and talking about the large community of Australian aboriginals living there ...) or introduce Realms developments that hamper or detract from information presented in recent gaming products or other novels.

Hmmm, I've been rather more long-winded than I intended, for which I apologise. As I do for my previous broad generalisation which Paul, quite rightly, took me to task on. I hope he proves me wrong - over and over and over again with every FR novel he writes.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Dec 2004 16:51:01
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  17:16:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not against using 'exotic' protagonists, so much as using them without a really convincing reason as to the whys and wherefores of their existence and place in the Realms and a novel.

George, I better understand your views now. Thank you for clarifying. And with respect to the above quote, we're in agreement.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  17:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, one of the concerns I had with setting Maiden in Luthcheq was that the city was very human-centric, which would make it hard to justify the inclusion of "exotics." I figured FR fans would be disappointed with the lack of non-human characters. Fortunately, there are a couple of lycanthrope communities in the nearby Adder Swamp . . . .

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  04:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To echo most of the other comments on this thread, I thought this was a pretty average effort. It reinforced some of the impressions I am getting about the "newer" FR novelists, chief of which seems to be: the more exotic your character is the more interesting it is for the reader. With the advent of FR 3E we are getting Arctic dwarves, Deep Imaskari, avariel, exotic Osslanders (wherever that is ...), people with medusa blood in them, etc. etc. It's like the authors went to the Monty Haul school of writing with "different" being equated to originality. As a trend, it's really putting me off the new FR novels that are coming out.

I agree, though not without some reservations. For example, I loved Marrec's backstory--to me the flashback scenes weren't merely more interesting than the first part of the plot, they were probably more interesting than most of the main plot...of the whole book. The Arctic dwarf didn't really bother me--while reading the Rogue Dragons books, I thought to myself, "There's nothing wrong if this arctic dwarf is simply allowed to exist, as a dwarf, in the novel." Does he have to act as a representive of his race, or can he just be a person? There was, after all, the Great Glacier nearby, and Mr. Byers paid attention to details (the arctic dwarf--I forgot his name--doesn't suddenly have standard dwarven tunnel knowledge after living on a glacier all his life). Exotic characters don't bother me when they are written well, just like any other character. But I wholeheartedly agree that simply making a character "unique" isn't going to make them interesting to read about. I love Ed Greenwood's books, and they are very human-centric; who says humans are more boring than other races? I don't care if a book features only humans in it, as long as those humans are well-characterized and fun to read about.

Back to Lady of Poison. I just finished it, and overall I think Mr Cordell has a very, very nice style of writing, considering that it's his second novel. I feel his prose is that of a fine writer. The atmosphere he sets up in the beginning of the book is suitably creepy, especially when Marrec thinks about his past and his heritage. I still have niggling questions about it in the back of my mind, but maybe it's better that not everything is explained.

I liked how the book built strongly on what was in the Unapproachable East sourcebook, however, I feel that at times the novel relied on it *too* much. Some of the descriptions of places were, in fact, lifted almost word for word from the sourcebook (for example, the description of the Netyarch's court). Mr. Cordell is obviously skilled at writing, so I felt he sold himself short by doing that--it came across as rather corny.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Feb 2005 04:27:42
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  23:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I missed it in the thread, but if I did, someone can freely point out my ignorance:

What was Gunny? Where was he from (besides "Osland" or whatever it was called.) Never heard of his type before.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  04:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

It seems so, we got Lloth and now Lurue not answering thier faithful. Grin.

Oh my, Lolth killed Lurue durring the time of trubbles, and has been granting spells in both thier names since that time.
And as she has been poseing as Lurue, she has become a nature deity so that explaines the Druid of Lolyh I saw from WotC.

Lolth really killed her?? Is this the 1st time it has been mentioned?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  04:46:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Askanipsion

quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

quote:

It seems so, we got Lloth and now Lurue not answering thier faithful. Grin.

Oh my, Lolth killed Lurue durring the time of trubbles, and has been granting spells in both thier names since that time.
And as she has been poseing as Lurue, she has become a nature deity so that explaines the Druid of Lolyh I saw from WotC.

Lolth really killed her?? Is this the 1st time it has been mentioned?

No. Alac was being sarcastic. :) Lolth didn't kill Lurue. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  04:59:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Lurue, I've always wondered about Ed's original interpretation. I recall that he said something about his original conception of her as being hardly similar to what we know of Lurue in the Realms today.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  05:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Geez I thought I had missed an appearance of the lovely Spider Queen. Now if only Lolth would kill Finder.....
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  07:05:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Geez I thought I had missed an appearance of the lovely Spider Queen. Now if only Lolth would kill Finder.....

Why? There's nothing wrong with Finder. I prefer him over Lloth.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  01:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Never liked him. He is my least favorite diety of the human FR gods.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  01:33:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Never liked him. He is my least favorite diety of the human FR gods.

Doesn't really answer the question, since I asked why you don't like him. :) But this is getting off topic since this is about a different novel. :)

Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  04:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Doesn't really answer the question, since I asked why you don't like him. :) But this is getting off topic since this is about a different novel. :)

Always found him kinda boring.

So who does the party consist of in this book? Is the Deep Imaskari a female in the book?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000