Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  06:10:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Cormyte's Boast" by Master Bard Chanthalas (VGtC, p.105).

My question is:

Of which realm was Angorl Steelhorn, the long-ago ruler of?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  06:30:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"The Cormyte's Boast" by Master Bard Chanthalas (VGtC, p.105).

I knew that question wasn't going to go unanswered for long once you signed on.

How is John doing? You're coming up on a month soon. Have you tried signing "The Cormyte's Boast" to him as a lullaby?

Cheers,

SB
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  07:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Of which realm was Angorl Steelhorn, the long-ago ruler of?
Angorl Steelhorn was once ruler of Rashemen, as related in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (p. 119).

My question, for ye of many sources, is as follows:

Who was Ardagundus (also known as Argandus), and where did he live?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  13:20:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

How is John doing? You're coming up on a month soon. Have you tried signing "The Cormyte's Boast" to him as a lullaby?

Oh if only it was that simple!

He's doing well, crying, sleeping (usually when not wanted to), becoming quite irresistible and generally fitting well into "the universal scheme of things". I just picked up my copy of "The Rage" (to see what Richard did to "my" Impiltur ...) so I'll see if he likes FR prose ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  03:57:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Who was Ardagundus (also known as Argandus), and where did he live?

We'll need a hint Garen.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  06:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, dear. When George needs a hint, I know I've gone and found an obscure reference.

My hint shall be sufficiently cryptic, however--Look for our friend Ardagundus in a place where offhand references to collectors of books might be found. Among some old pages, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  06:45:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Oh, dear. When George needs a hint, I know I've gone and found an obscure reference.

Well yes, and no. You see that awful Arthagus "of the Miracles" keeps bobbing up in my consciousness and I can't focus on Ardagundus. I'll think on your hint.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  13:41:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we'll need a real hint, Garen. And hopefully the answer to this one isn't in some awful FR PC game product ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  14:45:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think we'll need a real hint, Garen. And hopefully the answer to this one isn't in some awful FR PC game product ...

-- George Krashos

Are good PC game products allowed and only the awful ones frowned upon?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  18:25:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the hint, I thought it might be in the Candlekeep Collection article that was on the WotC website years ago... But I just checked that, and found nothing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  19:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last hint was good enough, I think. It was far more literal than it was taken, though. And yes, the answer appears in a book, not a PC game. One might also find it in a very old Dragon Magazine (one of the first hundred, to be sure), if one looked hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  19:32:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, there it is. He was a sage, and he dwelt in Baldur's Gate. He received the spellbook called The Alcaister from an adventurer named Wilund, in return for info about the magical chessmen of Ultham-Urre. Page 9 of Pages From The Mages, which reprinted the info from page 18 of Dragon Magazine issue 100.

Gimme an hour or so, and I'll be back with a question.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  21:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... Who was Alisker Lathundown of Nuel?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  01:23:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, no guesses after 24 hours... Okay, so here's some hints: Alisker was one of seven, and the seven aren't as well known as the lady mage they served. He's definitely dead, but may or may not be still around.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  04:35:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that's right, he's one of Tashara's Seven Skulls - Dragon #206.

My question is:

The adventurer Yargildas of Altumbel had in his possession what item?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  05:11:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time for a hint methinks: it's not a very masculine item, and Yargildas would have been amazed at what (or who)this item used to be ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  13:29:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorothir's Girdle from Prayers from the Faithful? (I don't have my PftF handy, so I'm guessing.)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  14:49:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, no cigar! Try again. Think "blessed of the goddess".

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  02:22:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adriyana's Garter, Secrets of the Magister, page 16. I should have known it would be in George's favorite book!

My question: What happened to 3 noble families of Cormyr during the reign of Draxius the Neverdying?

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  04:01:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
My question: What happened to 3 noble families of Cormyr during the reign of Draxius the Neverdying?

--Eric

Isn't that when the heirs of the noble houses of Bleth, Crownsilver, and Truesilver died in the monster-filled interdimensional Auantiver Labyrinth?

No idea on a reference, I just recall it from my FR timeline. King Draxius made an impression on me thanks to Chapter 18 of Cormyr: The Novel
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  12:51:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I think you're thinking of an event that happened in 1247 DR and was chronicled in Polyhedron #144. That was not the reign of King Draxius.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  13:17:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, I think you're thinking of an event that happened in 1247 DR and was chronicled in Polyhedron #144. That was not the reign of King Draxius.

--Eric

Actually, the timelines I have show 662 DR though I'll take your word for it if you have the Polyhedron.

Anyway, next up? I had my chance.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  13:36:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On second review, you are right Sirius. The heirs of 3 noble houses did die in 662 DR and that was during the reign of Draxius.

I'm actually looking for what happened to 3 noble families in their entirety, although my question wasn't clear. Since it wasn't clear, I'll give another hint: Their descendants may yet survive in the Realms Below ...

--
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  13:59:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On second review, you are right Sirius. The heirs of 3 noble houses did die in 662 DR and that was during the reign of Draxius.

I'm actually looking for what happened to 3 noble families in their entirety, although my question wasn't clear. Since it wasn't clear, I'll give another hint: Their descendants may yet survive in the Realms Below ...

When I first read your question, this is the event I thought of....what's that old adage...go with your first hunch ...

quote:

710 DR (?)

Drow attacks in Cormyr claim the lives of three noble families of the realm. While believed dead, most of the nobles survive as slaves in the Underdark.

Reference: ???

Is that what you are looking for?

Regardless, were the three noble families ever named? Talk about an interesting little plot thread in FR/Cormyr history.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  14:45:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fall of Myth Drannor, page 19.

I have no idea why this nugget is in the FoMD timeline, and I'm not sure if it's ever been built on. (If I were at home, I would check out the drow city under Cormyr briefly mentioned in DDGttU and [maybe] Underdark and I would check out VGtC [the Plungepool] to see if they refer to the event, but otherwise it's a mystery.

I'm not sure why Steven included this little reference in FoMD, but it could be turned into something very interesting ...

--Eric

PS Your turn Sirius.

--
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  15:05:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fall of Myth Drannor, page 19.

Thank you. I thought I read it someplace besides the timeline. I looked at the Cormanthyr book last night but didn't scan my PDF of FoMD.

quote:

I have no idea why this nugget is in the FoMD timeline, and I'm not sure if it's ever been built on. (If I were at home, I would check out the drow city under Cormyr briefly mentioned in DDGttU and [maybe] Underdark and I would check out VGtC [the Plungepool] to see if they refer to the event, but otherwise it's a mystery.

I'll have to take a look at the two tomes to see if anything else is mentioned regarding this event.

quote:

I'm not sure why Steven included this little reference in FoMD, but it could be turned into something very interesting ...

Turned into something interesting..yep, that's exactly why he included it.

Thanks again Eric for the reference assist.

quote:

PS Your turn Sirius.

Okay, here goes

Who currently holds the Geildirion of Cimbar?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  04:38:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like we'll need a hint, Sirius. My perusal of FR10 drew a blank - the only source I can think of re Chessenta. So it looks like you've picked an obscure one. Hopefully you haven't taken Faraer's lead and delved into those awful PC games ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  04:59:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like we'll need a hint, Sirius.

You mean I stumped the experts? Oh happy dance. I thought everyone had grown bored.

quote:

My perusal of FR10 drew a blank - the only source I can think of re Chessenta. So it looks like you've picked an obscure one. Hopefully you haven't taken Faraer's lead and delved into those awful PC games ...

I wouldn't do that because PC games along with Dragon magazines aren't really canon.

Hint: The answer resides in a recent event that took place in a very popular novel series.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  10:48:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Hint: The answer resides in a recent event that took place in a very popular novel series.

Hmm, novel series. Recent event. I'm guessing it's the Sembia series but I don't have all of those. Someone give him the answer so we can get on to the next question!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  18:01:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm, novel series. Recent event. I'm guessing it's the Sembia series but I don't have all of those. Someone give him the answer so we can get on to the next question!

-- George Krashos

The Vhaeraun drow of House Jaelre currently hold the Geildirion of Cimbar per the events in the latter half of Condemnation by Richard Baker.

Apologies for not moving the thread along sooner. I'm going to wait before offering a new question as another scribe, Gnomeboy, might have a question of his own to ask.

SiriusBlack

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 18 Jul 2004 18:02:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000