Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  06:21:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, a message in another thread got me thinking about trying this idea, so here we go.

How about a round of Forgotten Realms trivia? I’ve seen something similar to this used on other boards and I’m curious to see if it will work at Candlekeep.

The idea is that one scribe, me for example to start off, asks a FR question based on a fact from any FR gaming product or novel.

The first person to answer that question correctly and properly cite where the answer can be found, asks a question of their own.

The process then continues with each successful answer.

I hope that made sense. But, let’s show an example

quote:

Example question: Where is the Grandfather Tree located?

Someone else would then answer:

quote:

Example answer: The High Forest (Forgotten Realms Campaign Supplement, page 166).

The person who answers can then ask their own question. That make sense? If so, here are some fast rules:

1. Remember FR gaming products or novels.

2. Please know the answer to your question. I think if a day has passed and no one has been able to answer correctly, it’s time to offer hints or pick another question.

3. Please if you can properly cite your answer as in the above example. If you don’t know the page number, that’s fine, but at least be able to reference the product/novel. This method will help the less informed, like myself, find the answer and perhaps read up on something we find interesting.

Well, if that made sense, here goes. I’ll ask the first question and whoever gets the question right and provides some citation can then ask their own and so on…

Sirius’ Question:

Who wielded the Craulnober moonblade before it passed to Elaith? And yes, I’m looking for a name.

Yes, I know easy. But, anyone who knows me had to realize my first question would be something to do with Elaith. I am curious to see what questions others come up with and how challenging they might be.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  06:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm...we've done this before, actually.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  12:12:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Sirius’ Question:

Who wielded the Craulnober moonblade before it passed to Elaith? And yes, I’m looking for a name.

Elanjar Craulnobur - Evermeet: Island of the Elves (hardcover, p.385).

My question is:

Who is the owner of "The Gray Book of Mysteries", a spellbook of some power?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  14:55:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My question is:

Who is the owner of "The Gray Book of Mysteries", a spellbook of some power?

-- George Krashos

Doesn't Mintiper Moonsilver have that hidden away somewhere?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yep, Mintiper Moonsilver (Code of the Harpers, page 68). Have a question WR?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  18:37:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yep, Mintiper Moonsilver (Code of the Harpers, page 68). Have a question WR?

I'll get back to y'all with one -- I'm a bit busy at the moment. Perhaps after work tonight...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  18:38:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll get back to y'all with one -- I'm a bit busy at the moment. Perhaps after work tonight...

You're able to post from work?! It must be a government job.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  04:32:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! No answering a question without giving another to get the thread going! C'mon Wooly, get your act together!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  04:56:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey! No answering a question without giving another to get the thread going! C'mon Wooly, get your act together!

-- George Krashos

Be easy on him GK. I think that rule slipped his mind. Big surprise there. <innocent whistling>
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  05:43:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, first I'm gonna smite SiriusBlack with a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters...

Okay, here's my question:

Who owns the establishment where Elminster was once found head downward in a laundry chute?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  14:00:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who owns the establishment where Elminster was once found head downward in a laundry chute?

Ophala Cheldarstorn - Volo's Guide to the North, p.138.

My question is:

Who stole seven great gems from a zulkir's headress while the Thayan still wore it?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  11:04:54  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... very hard, George. No search term available other than zulkir and that current returns quite a lot of hits in my (very very incomplete) database of notes.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  13:37:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, slightly tough one - think thieves and secret societies and a person with a big, black stick.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  16:41:11  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, slightly tough one - think thieves and secret societies and a person with a big, black stick.

-- George Krashos

Yipes that is hard.

Okay guessing completely - Khelban Blackstaff? (Only one I know who fits that description.) If that's right, I'm clueless as the reference through.

~Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  16:58:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fireheart
Okay guessing completely - Khelban Blackstaff? (Only one I know who fits that description.) If that's right, I'm clueless as the reference through.

~Fireheart

Nope, it's Jhuvik of the Seven Gems (Cloak & Dagger, pg. 28).

Did I mention how much I love that tome? So much Realms information and not a Prc in sight.

Let me think for a bit on the next question. After these messages, I'll be right back.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  17:40:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let me think for a bit on the next question. After these messages, I'll be right back.

A-HEM!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  18:23:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here's one for the group participating:

Question: Where was King Azoun attacked by a Zhentarim mage who shapechanged into a beholder?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, here's one for the group participating:

Question: Where was King Azoun attacked by a Zhentarim mage who shapechanged into a beholder?

The Moon and Stars tavern in Waymoot ([i]Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 177).

My questionis a two-parter, and you have to get both right in order to move on:
What are the proper names of the swords also called "Drake's Tooth" and "Warrior's Fang?"

Fear not! Both items are described in the same sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  22:37:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job Garen Thal. A two-part question? Someone likes to raise the stakes.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 17 Jun 2004 22:38:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  04:26:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

What are the proper names of the swords also called "Drake's Tooth" and "Warrior's Fang?"

Fear not! Both items are described in the same sourcebook.

"Drake's Tooth": Shiningbite {Sea of Fallen Stars, p.15)
"Warrior's Fang": Ilbratha, "Mistress of Battles" (Sea of Fallen Stars, p.23)

Knew you'd pick a Cormyr question, Garen!

Okay, my next question is:

Grauth Mharrabath, the "Knight of Many Battles", is buried where?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  04:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Cormyr question? Me?!? Just what are you insinuating?
quote:
Grauth Mharrabath, the "Knight of Many Battles", is buried where?
In Undermountain, specifically in a tomb shaped like a four-poster bed, in "room #19"-Ruins of Undermountain the Elder, Campaign Guide, p. 32.

And now, a question needing a little judgement, guile, and page-flipping:
Since the Time of Troubles, what deities are members of multiple pantheons according to FR lore? For this question, the pantheons are: Faerûnian, Orc, Elven, Drow, Dwarven, Halfling, Gnome and Mulhorandi. Defunct pantheons (such as the Untheric one) no longer count, nor do minor groupings of monster deities who might be worshipped by other species.

By the way, if my questions are becoming too complex, let me know, and I'll try and tone things down a bit.

Just a bit, though.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  07:45:37  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, talk about a multi-parter:

This is a bit over-kill I do admit. Some of these are worshipped by large numbers of individuals of a particular sub-race, but wouldn't be considered to be part of the race's pantheon.

Name of God Pantheons Worshiped by Reference

Ulutiu Dwarf/Faerun Arctic Dwarves Races of Faerun Page 10
Talos Dwarf/Faerun Arctic Dwarves Races of Faerun Page 10
Silvanus Elf/Faerun Wood Elves Races of Faerun Page 47
Mielikki Elf/Faerun Wood Elves Races of Faerun Page 47
Gond/Nebelun Gnome/Faerun Gnomes Demi-Human Deities page 136
Ghaunadaur Orc/Drow Orogs Races of Faerun Page 73
Tymora Hin/Faerun Hin Demi-Human Deities page 161
Mask Mulhorondi/Faerun Humans Powers and Pantheons page 96
Bast/Sharess Mulhorondi/Faerun Humans Powers and Pantheons page 96

If one wished to narrow the scope to only gods considered to belong to specific pantheons by the entire group that follows that pantheon, one would be left with only Gond/Nebelun, Tymora, Mask, and Bast/Sharess.

If one were to accept Unther as a viable pantheon one would include Hoar/Assuran, Mystra, and Tiamat. With that pantheon dismissed, they are merely Faerunian gods. (Powers and Pantheons page 96)

If one were to accept Sseth's worship by non-chultean ophidians as belonging to the Faerunian pantheon then he would qualify as a Chult/Faerun deity. (Powers and Pantheons page 84)

Humans and elves do worship Eilistraee, but it is clear that she is not a member of the elven pantheon, not worshipped in large numbers by these non-drow, and she is unknown to the vast majority of humans, so I disqualified her as a member of the Elven and Faerunian pantheons, in addition to belonging to the drow. (Non-Human deities page 13)

Assuming I answered that correctly, I'm feeling generous and will ask a single-part question: "What's the name of Lord Ryvik Dlardrageth's grandmother on his mother's side of the family?"

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  09:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to accept that answer, and admit that it was far too subjective to be answered "correctly" in the first place. Apologies to everyone.

I intended to include only those deities who are considered members of the pantheons in question, rather than those who are worshipped by a few members of the face. The answers I was looking for:
Mielikki, who is a member of the elven pantheon under the name Khalreshaar (Demihuman Deities)
Gond, who is called Nebelun in the Gnomish pantheon (Demihuman Deities)
Sharess, who is known as Bast in her (original) Mulhorandi incarnation (Powers & Pantheons)
Tymora, who is also a member of the Halfling pantheon (Demihuman Deities)

There are other gods who are welcome, or at least abided, among the pantheons of other groups. Mask among the Mulhorandi is one such deity (his cult status in Skuld was never sufficient to make him a member of that pantheon), and Milil among the elves is another. Likewise, Eilistraee and Lolth are both known among surface-dwellers (certainly far more than other gods of the drow), and Lolth in particular seems to be encroaching ever farther into the Faerûnian pantheon, especially with her impersonation of Moander. Neither, however, are truly members of the Faerûnian pantheon just yet. At least, that's my opinion.

Enough outta me, though. Someone else start yapping.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  09:13:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

"What's the name of Lord Ryvik Dlardrageth's grandmother on his mother's side of the family?"

His mamma was the Countess Sarya Dlardrageth, and her mamma was Lady Xiilitharra Dlardrageth. Page 10 of Hellgate Keep.

My next question:

Name the forest that was once an elven armada.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2004 09:16:25
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  09:28:03  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The answers I was looking for:
Mielikki, who is a member of the elven pantheon under the name Khalreshaar (Demihuman Deities)

My bad, I missed Mielikki's Khalreshaar aspect.

I would disagree with you also about Mask. Even though he is not widely worshipped amongst the Mulhorondi, the implicit agreement Ao made was that it was a straight swap with Mask and Bast. Bast/Sharess has made a better go at becoming a Faerunian deity than Mask has made at becoming a Mulhorondi deity, but the inherent nature of the decision means Ao feels that Mask is a member of that pantheon... and that's good enough for me.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  13:56:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to accept that answer, and admit that it was far too subjective to be answered "correctly" in the first place. Apologies to everyone.

Ah, no need to apologize as it's all in fun. However, make the same mistake again and you'll win a special prize: Prestige Classes of the Realms.

quote:

I intended to include only those deities who are considered members of the pantheons in question, rather than those who are worshipped by a few members of the face. The answers I was looking for:
Mielikki, who is a member of the elven pantheon under the name

Mielikki is the only one that immediately sprang to mind when I read your question.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  17:41:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it appears that my question was a bit too tough... And part of the reason is because of the words. Though it was an armada that became a forest, it's not a fleet of ships that became a bunch of trees.

The armada in question was an elven spelljammer -- the actual ship type is called an armada. In the Year of the Twisted Horn, this ship crashed into the Sea of Fallen Stars. One wing snapped off, and the other lost its outer edges. Since elven ships are some sort of plant that is grown into shape, the ship continued to grow after its crash. The wreckage of the wings grew into a forest of hydrozoans and crystal.

'Tis called the Hanalitanar Forest, and it's described on page 138 of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

So, that question is withdrawn, and I'll ask an easier one.

Where did (then) Princess Alusair Nacacia learn to disarm foes and throw daggers?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  18:13:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Where did (then) Princess Alusair Nacacia learn to disarm foes and throw daggers?

The Inn of the Dripping Dagger (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, pages 114-115).

Easy one here for my question, but the lore stands out in my memory:

Where in Waterdeep might one end up dancing with a Princess of Tethyr?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 19 Jun 2004 18:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question if SiriusBlack passes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  18:59:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Inn of the Dripping Dagger (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, pages 114-115).

Easy one here for my question, but the lore stands out in my memory:

Where in Waterdeep might one end up dancing with a Princess of Tethyr?

The Moon Sphere, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, page 145.

Back in a bit with my question.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:03:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Moon Sphere, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, page 145.

Yep, one part of FR lore that still breaks my heart each time I read it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000