Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kelemvore Lyonsbane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  18:39:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Correct.

Gracias. I think one of his novels is within one of the bookshelves here, but no idea if it was that one.
Go to Top of Page

OrnluTheWolf
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  03:56:05  Show Profile  Visit OrnluTheWolf's Homepage Send OrnluTheWolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Cyric is already a God when Prince of Lies begins. He must become a diety in the last book of the avatar trilogy, Waterdeep. Prince of Lies actually details a conflict between Mystra/Midnight and Cyric as Cyric rearanges/enlarges/shrinks his portfolio.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but Richard Awlinson (author of the Avatar trilogy) is actually a psydo-name (sp?). Why didn't he use his real name?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  04:20:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OrnluTheWolf

Actually, Cyric is already a God when Prince of Lies begins. He must become a diety in the last book of the avatar trilogy, Waterdeep. Prince of Lies actually details a conflict between Mystra/Midnight and Cyric as Cyric rearanges/enlarges/shrinks his portfolio.

Okay, sorry, but you lost me. When did we mention Cyric? I thought we were discussing Kel.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  04:21:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OrnluTheWolf
I don't know if anyone knows this, but Richard Awlinson (author of the Avatar trilogy) is actually a psydo-name (sp?). Why didn't he use his real name?

Yes, if I recall it was used to represent more than one author.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  06:50:48  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scott Ciencin and Troy Denning both used this pseudonym. Scott wrote the first two books of the Avatar series under it and Troy wrote the third using it.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

OrnluTheWolf
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  14:11:53  Show Profile  Visit OrnluTheWolf's Homepage Send OrnluTheWolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Okay, sorry, but you lost me. When did we mention Cyric? I thought we were discussing Kel.

Um.. Erm..... Ahem.....
Please disregard my earlier post, apparently I was under the effects of a feeblemind spell at the time (Damn you Elminster!)

quote:
Scott Ciencin and Troy Denning both used this pseudonym. Scott wrote the first two books of the Avatar series under it and Troy wrote the third using it.

Thanks. I'll look for the differences then as I read the 2nd and 3rd books. Also, thanks for the spelling of pseudonym (I was totally clueless).
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  19:28:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and in the new versions of the books, the authors are properly credited.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  08:17:21  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've been searching for the Prince of Lies novel here but i can't find it, Spain is different!!!! (never mind i've got a Cormyr first volume tome). I think it hasn't been published here

Sirius, this is the second time i read you using "Gracias", is curious.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 28 Jun 2004 08:18:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:44:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gion

Okay, I've been searching for the Prince of Lies novel here but i can't find it, Spain is different!!!! (never mind i've got a Cormyr first volume tome). I think it hasn't been published here

Well, speaking for myself, I will say that some of us Americans have a tendency to lift particular words from other languages. It's not at all uncommon for someone to use another language to say "thank you."

I myself used to say "gracias" but then started saying "danke." A few years ago, I moved over to saying "domo" instead...

And if I know someone's nationality, and I know any words from their language, if the opportunity is right, I will use their native tongue when speaking to them. Usually I don't get to do more than say their version of "thank you," but it seems courteous to me to at least do that much.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  12:32:36  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, its not at all uncommon to hear a bit of Spanish thrown into American vocabularies. We do after all have the 5th largest Spanish-speaking population in the world, with 27.8 million Americans speaking Spanish. It is estimated that 28.6 percent of the population of my city, Fresno, speak Spanish.

One can't help but "lift" vocabulary when one hears it so often.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  15:53:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It came in handy with my past job.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  17:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Sirius beat me to it. :) Ignore me.

And why would we do that? Just 'cause you partied late and slept in.....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  18:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Yes, and in the new versions of the books, the authors are properly credited.

I think I heard that they put the authors under the pseudonym to put the books together since bookstores put novels alphabetically by author's last name. Same thing was done with the D&D iconic novels. But now those same bookstores are more likely to arrange them by series and one then puts them alphabetically by BOOK TITLE than AUTHOR NAME. Weird.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  18:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If all else fails, you could try Ebay. Granted they're in English, not Spanish. But there's quite a few people selling them on that site.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  13:58:21  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:

If all else fails, you could try Ebay. Granted they're in English, not Spanish. But there's quite a few people selling them on that site.

Okay i'll try, in this matters spain is really third-world like.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000