Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Planar Adventure Equipment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  08:50:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Adventuring across the wide and varied lands of the Realms usually requires nothing more than the standard gear and equipment as presented in the Arms and Equipment Guide and many other regional resource tomes.

Journeying through the Outer Planes however, presents a whole new series of traps, pitfalls, and other nasty environmental conditions. So, as part of my upcoming Walking Through Mirrors PbEM campaign and, in the tradition of The Sage's Magic Shop, I now dedicate this scroll to the purpose of collecting and cataloguing all manner of planar adventuring gear and equipment.

Players in the campaign may wish to take advantage of the equipment here. Or alternatively, may simply wish to browse so that when the time comes for the adventure to take it's first steps into the Planes, they will at least have some idea about what they might like to purchase.

I'm also hoping that those scribes with an interest in such things may also like to post their own creations here. Please be aware however, that unless the item is specifically tailored for planar adventuring it would be more appropriate for you to simply post the item in the Magic Shop.

Okay, let's begin...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  08:53:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planeshifter Outfit: This clothing is specifically designed to protect the wearer from changing planar temperatures. It consists mainly of heavy pants, a light coat, and a specially treated leather apron, as well as thick gloves, a hood, and goggles. The Planeshifter Outfit gives the wearer a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves from sudden changes in the climate while traveling from plane to plane.
Cost: 40 gp.
Weight: 16 lb.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  08:55:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helod Homonculi: The Helod (gila monster people) have developed an alchemical process whereby they mix together a variety of chemicals, dead organisms, and poisons to create a quasi-living soup in vats. They then dunk customers in the vats and the soup adhers to their bodies, even over their armor. The result can be clipped off and functions as a skin homoculus, fully shielding from the effects of a given plane. Helod Homonculi are not permanent, they have a shelf life of about three weeks, after which their bonds break apart and they rot away. Wearing them is unpleasant and smells terrible, but the things work. They can be convienently peeled off and rolled up into a ball for transit. Squeezing back into them is something of a pain. These items are made availible primarily in Sigil and Union.
Cost: Variable, the Helod never fix prices, and mostly its what they can intimidate their patrons into. Some races (like bladelings or tieflings with horns) are difficult to fit and cost more.
Weight: 5-7lbs. for most humans, more for larger races.

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  09:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it isn't exactly gear but I have always thought it a wise idea to cast a Contingency with a Planeshift, or similiar dweomer, set to trigger by the failure of a saving throw. I tend to always keep a Contingiencied Teleport set to trigger if I am held, charmed, or otherwise "magicked" that drops me directly above a dead magic zone. At least whenever I am playing a magic user of the appropriate level, that is.

But then again I am a little on the paranoid side.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:05:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bytopian 'planejumper' boots

Made by gnomish craftsmen and sold throughout Sigil by the Planar Trading Consortium (perhaps meant to compete with the expensive League boots sold by Snail Outfitters), the Bytopian luxury boot (Planejumper™), which used to be the trademark of a canny planewalker, is becoming more and more popular. Partly, this is due to the hype, since many famous planewalkers have worn them (Balthasar Thames, the Guildmaster of the Planewalker guild, never leaves home without them), but mostly it's because they're really, really good.

The boots are made from the leather of the opposite cow (a herbivore unique to Bytopia), and shod with fine gnomish steel. Comfortable and well furnished, they are perfect for cold weather and long treks across the unknown.

The special rigged soles provide stability and grip on ice (+2 to balance checks on slipper surfaces and +2 to climb checks when footholds are available), and the incredibly sturdy leather has saved many a planewalker's foot when he trod in something undesirable. In fact, they are guaranteed to last for a full minute in the most acidic conditions, even inside a black pudding, and you can safely walk across burning coals without ever hurting your toesies (fire and acid resistant - may confer a 5 point energy resistance to the user if the only affected area is his feet).

And the best part is that they cost only 60 jink (can be paid in 3 easy installments of 20 jink at your local PTC outpost...all we need is a signature and you're all set!).

Gnomish shoe-shine sold seperately.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:07:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune Love Gem

The secret to making Love Gems came from a Sunite cleric/bard who wanted nothing more then to get over his biased way of looking at other people.

This item has a very dim magical aura, and radiates as a charm spell.

If a person eats the love gem and fails the save (Will DC 11), he becomes charmed (as charm person) to everyone in sight.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  10:12:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

<snip>
Huh... Mm'kay... any chance a pair of those made their way to the banks of the Chionthar or the shores of the Winding Water, or to Boareskyr Bridge, or Elturel?!?

Someone whose name is the French translation of a hockey puck (without the "e" at the end) really wants a pair of these!! Enchanted perhaps... for I assume they were masterwork when that said person came accross them? and that he would have taken them promptly to the nearest fellow with the Craft Wondrous Feat or Craft Universal Item Feat, yes?

Boots of temporal acceleration.. **COUGH!** Gollum, Gollum! **COUGH!** Winged, Winterlands, Teleportation or Speed.. **COUGH!** We likes themnzzz... our preciouszzdshsz
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  10:19:27  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sune Love Gem
<snip>
If a person eats the love gem and fails the save (Will DC 11), he becomes charmed (as charm person) to everyone in sight.

Huh.. you know that this probably brought this Sunite more problems than his previous discrimination faculties hmmm? I mean, was he on an island filled with amazonian single with no kids goddesses? in that case, yes, I would totally understand his need to share the love equally, with unbridled passion unto all female species of the said island... otherwise, he's probably already dead or on the run from a mob of angry husbands...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  03:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

. . . The special rigged soles provide stability and grip on ice (+2 to balance checks on slipper surfaces and +2 to climb checks when footholds are available) . . . .

Arrrrhg!

Sage! You spying little gnome! How'd you get into my labratory, eh?

The only difference on this aspect was that my boots just granted +1.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  12:36:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Sune Love Gem
<snip>

Huh.. you know that this probably brought this Sunite more problems than his previous discrimination faculties hmmm? I mean, was he on an island filled with amazonian single with no kids goddesses? in that case, yes, I would totally understand his need to share the love equally, with unbridled passion unto all female species of the said island... otherwise, he's probably already dead or on the run from a mob of angry husbands...

Eh, you've hit the mark pretty closely PDK. Unfortunately I cannot go into specific details about this adventure because it contains elements that are inappropriate for a forum like this. I'll just finish by saying that it was a very "bizarre" adventure...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  12:40:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

. . . The special rigged soles provide stability and grip on ice (+2 to balance checks on slipper surfaces and +2 to climb checks when footholds are available) . . . .

Arrrrhg!

Sage! You spying little gnome! How'd you get into my labratory, eh?

The only difference on this aspect was that my boots just granted +1.

Err... I have no idea what you are talking about Bookwyrm...

::Trying to look innocent, the Sage slowly envelops his scrying ball with a gray cloth::

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  10:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Sune Love Gem
<snip>

Eh, you've hit the mark pretty closely PDK. Unfortunately I cannot go into specific details about this adventure because it contains elements that are inappropriate for a forum like this. I'll just finish by saying that it was a very "bizarre" adventure...

Err... I'd just like to chime in on this conversation and say that the Sune Love Gem was originally my creation. Perhaps the Sage neglected to mentioned that particular fact... hmmm...

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000