Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Original Realms Locations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talinfein
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  16:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Talinfein's Homepage Send Talinfein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all,

I hope some of you sages here can help me with a question that I have about the original Realms.

I know that TSR has added certain areas and/or elements to the Realms over the years that probably wouldn´t have been there if Ed would have been able to stop them. The addition of Maztica is one, the addition of Kara-Tur is another, if I´m not mistaken.

What other areas/concepts were added onto the Realms in this way? I´m talking about fairly major changes and only changes, not additions in terms of an expansion of information on a certain area.

So, basically, what do Ed´s original Realms look like?

Thanks for your help.

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  16:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know if it's accurate to say that Ed Greenwood would have "stopped them" from being included. It's more accurate to say that there were areas in the Realms that were either added or altered in some way from Ed's original maps and notes.

1. The Moonshae Isles were originally a large archipelago of very small islands running in a chain from the north Sword Coast to the current location of the Moonshaes. They were added to place the location for the Darkwalker on Moonshae novel by Douglas Niles.
2. Similar situation with Icewind Dale. The whole Frozenfar area was not detailed by Ed Greenwood, but was chosen by Bob Salvatore as his setting for The Crystal Shard precisely because no one had detailed it yet.
3. The areas now known as Vaasa and Damara were originally covered by the Great Glacier. The Glacier was pushed northward, leaving those two realms clear of ice in order to place the "H" series of modules into the Realms.
4. Zakhara, and Maztica were not part of Ed's original Realms concept, but I'm unsure if Kara-Tur was or not.

There may be others as well, but those are the major ones that I'm aware of.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  17:18:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall who stated it, but this is something I found somewhere on this site:

quote:
Ed DIDN’T create Vaasa, Damara, Bloodstone Pass, the people or folk of the Moonshaes (though the name is his), the Uthgardt barbarians, Drizzt or the drow (though he did give the drow lots of Realms rules and two gods, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun), Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim (though he did contribute some spells to that setting), Shade, some features in Anauroch, the Hordelands, or Maztica. He isn’t responsible for the Egyptian pantheon of gods put into Old Empires, or most of the nonhuman deities (though he created a few gods for the dwarves). He didn’t create Danilo Thann or Arilyn, though he DID create Elaith. Most of the lead characters in novels not by him were created by others, though he did name and create a surprising number of them, from almost all of the Uskevrens in the Sembia series to Myrmeen Lhal in The Night Parade.
Everything else came originally from Ed, even to the name “Forgotten Realms.” The map of Faerûn has been tinkered with a bit, but what you see today is, more or less, what Ed handed to TSR back in 1986.
Ed is very quick to credit others for expanding his creation and putting it into D&D form, from staffers like Jeff Grubb and Steven Schend to freelancers like Eric Boyd and many, many others. The Realms is a shared world, now, but as someone who saw it before TSR ever did, I can swear beyond any doubt that Ed Greenwood is THE Creator of the Realms. He even created Candlekeep (not this site, but the monastery it is named for . . . plus Alaundo, most of the Roll of Years, the Calendar of Harptos and Harptos himself, and so on and on and on).

BTW, welcome to Candlekeep!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 May 2004 17:21:46
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  17:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one place Ed's answered this question. As well, Evermeet was much farther away in the west, and no Whamite Isles. Scott Bennie's Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta are more Egyptian, Sumerian, and Greek than Ed's; Steven Schend's Calimshan, I think, is more Arabian. The overall timbre of the pre-TSR Realms can be felt in the Band of Four novels or, I think, in the Polyhedron Border Kingdoms articles. More characters and groups, fewer iconic things hogging the spotlight. Various aspects have been underplayed, such as trade, sexuality, and gates between worlds (I like the Nehwon ghoul mentioned in FOR4). Various important magical details have never been made explicit in print. Ed's Realms also has/had no Wall of the Faithless and accompanying crypto-monotheism, and 3Eisms like the Thunder Blessing, the Shadow Weave, Shade, etc. aren't his.

As to which of these additions and changes Ed would have wanted at the time, or thinks are good ideas now, he's said in some cases and not others. Some of his comments are both legitimately open-minded and diplomatic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  18:28:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

(I like the Nehwon ghoul mentioned in FOR4).

Having just read the Newhon stuff for the first time, can you tell me what page of FOR4 that reference is on?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
p. 83:
quote:
Tamper Tencoin is known to have traveled many planes in his career, and he is often accompanied by creatures strange to the Realms. His companion at the time he fought alongside the Knights was the Nehwon ghoul Lacheera (an axe-wielding warrior-woman of a race from another plane), but more recently Tamper has been seen alone, strangling Zhentilar and Zhentarim in Daggerdale to aid Randal Morn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  20:04:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

p. 83:
quote:
Tamper Tencoin is known to have traveled many planes in his career, and he is often accompanied by creatures strange to the Realms. His companion at the time he fought alongside the Knights was the Nehwon ghoul Lacheera (an axe-wielding warrior-woman of a race from another plane), but more recently Tamper has been seen alone, strangling Zhentilar and Zhentarim in Daggerdale to aid Randal Morn.

Ah, thank you for that reference!

I wonder how she got to the Realms, and how many portals there are between Nehwon and Toril...

Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  21:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evermeet was much farther away in the west
?!
How much more to the West could it be than it already is?

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  00:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This small island realm [Eskember] never made it into the Old Grey Box for the same reason Evermeet got shoved several thousand leagues east (closer to mainland Faerûn): accurate maps of my 'home' Realms campaign would have been map panel after map panel ('panel' meaning one fit-the-box folded rectangle of those fold-out map pages) of mostly empty water stretching west, with only a few islets and island chains scattered thereon.
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  14:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Faraer.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  19:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's one place Ed's answered this question. As well, Evermeet was much farther away in the west, and no Whamite Isles. Scott Bennie's Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta are more Egyptian, Sumerian, and Greek than Ed's; Steven Schend's Calimshan, I think, is more Arabian.

Just to be fair and put credit where due, here's some clarity (at least on what I contributed to the Realms):

Calimshan (and Amn & Tethyr): All the basics were in Ed's Realms, then Scott Haring wrote up the original EMPIRES OF THE SANDS that covered all three. I had the good fortune to get to revamp and update those areas in LANDS OF INTRIGUE and EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA. My major contributions were in finishing the Restoration of Tethyr, making Amn a little more aware of the consequences of its actions (i.e. Maztica, ogre mages, rebel cities, etc.), and making Calimshan less Arabian and more Turkish / Ottoman Empire (since we had AL-QADIM covering the Arabian stuff quite well).

The only places I can lay claim to having added wholly that weren't in Ed's Realms were Erlkazar (LOI Book 3) and the undersea realms in SEA OF FALLEN STARS. I've mostly just tinkered in the corners, otherwise, of Waterdeep, Undermountain, Myth Drannor, and a few other places.

If there's any places I'd have loved to have tinkered in the Realms, it would have been Impiltur (and the Demonlands, a moniker that's fallen by the wayside), the Shaar (which I saw as a quasi-India with huge platform cities on stilts above the tiger- and rakshasa-filled plains), and perhaps one more delve into history to finish what history I started but didn't complete with CORMANTHYR.

Even so, Ed did the greatest thing (as was underscored by Jeff Grubb and me) in creating a world where everything was possible--if fantasy fans wanted something, we knew where they could find it in the Realms. As it was impossible for Ed to write everything, it's a true shared world and I don't know how different it would be if it were all Ed; it probably would have been smaller, like Greyhawk, a world where one writer (Gary Gygax) called all the shots and rarely allowed much work there without his say-so until much later. Food for thought, eh?

Steven Schend

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  20:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

I think your Realms work is tremendous and it ending was one of the worst things that happened to the Realms. When I mentioned your Calimshan being more Arabian I was partly thinking of your Calishite names, the yrs and the els--they are quite Turkish, I was being vague--compared to Ed's where the influence is more buried.

The World of Greyhawk comparison is interesting. I like that world too and Gary is its seat of authority for me as Ed is for the Realms--he wasn't able to publish as much for it as he wanted due to having to also run TSR--I just don't connect the post-Gygax Greyhawk stuff to that setting: for me, the stream continues in his Dangerous Journeys and Lejendary Adventure and Castle Zagyg work. The key is imaginative sympathy and negative capability: if you show me you like the setting you're writing in, and are willing to try to internalize how it works and get inside it, you've won me over.

My ideal Realms is just a little less shared and more compact than it became--I can reach that Realms easily enough in my head, but for newcomers there's a lot obscuring those original ideals and rhythms now.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 May 2004 20:26:43
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  20:57:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eskember is detailed here, as is Daufin, Helbrester, and Tor Mak.

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0304D&L=realms-l&P=R5617

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  23:10:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
and perhaps one more delve into history to finish what history I started but didn't complete with CORMANTHYR.

I would have enjoyed seeing that.
Go to Top of Page

Talinfein
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  11:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Talinfein's Homepage Send Talinfein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for answering my question. The reason why I asked in the first place is that there are parts of the realms that don´t feel true, somehow. Mulhorand and the accompanying pantheon of gods for example just don´t seem to fit, at least the names don´t. And so I was wondering what other parts of the realms were changed or added onto.

As much as I don´t like RSEs I do like the return of Shade, for example, even if it isn´t "original realm" so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  18:19:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*BUMP*

Looking for any info on the Whamites, I stumbled across this old thread, and thought it interesting (and relevant) given the current state of things.

Not stirring the pot here - just wanted a decent list of non-Edwardian concepts that made it into the Realms, which 'may' help us establish things in other threads.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  19:08:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This plus Ed's upcoming book on his home Realms game ought to make for interesting reading. I'm very excited about that book.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  19:30:37  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Here's one place Ed's answered this question. As well, Evermeet was much farther away in the west, and no Whamite Isles. Scott Bennie's Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta are more Egyptian, Sumerian, and Greek than Ed's; Steven Schend's Calimshan, I think, is more Arabian.

If there's any places I'd have loved to have tinkered in the Realms, it would have been Impiltur (and the Demonlands, a moniker that's fallen by the wayside), the Shaar (which I saw as a quasi-India with huge platform cities on stilts above the tiger- and rakshasa-filled plains), and perhaps one more delve into history to finish what history I started but didn't complete with CORMANTHYR.

Steven Schend

This would be some interesting stuff to possibly put into 5E. platform cities on stilts and rakshasa-filled plains is just cool(i'm stealing this idea!). Impiltur and the dwarves of Earthfast would be great places to give some love in 5E too.

Edited by - Eilserus on 27 Jun 2012 19:31:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  07:20:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea for the shaar - I personally replaced wemics with lionmen (NOT catfolk!) in my Realms. Monte Cook had those in his setting/rules.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  15:21:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I like the idea for the shaar - I personally replaced wemics with lionmen (NOT catfolk!) in my Realms. Monte Cook had those in his setting/rules.

You mean the Litorians? Cool.

I'd love to hear more.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000