Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Annihilation (WOTSQ Book 5) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:18:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There is a sample chapter in the back of Dawn of Night for Annihilation which is set to come out in July.

The sample chapter is eight pages and when I last looked was still not online this morning.

It drops the reader immediately into a battle featuring Valas and Danifae against a portal drake. The duo, natch, wins, mostly thanks to Valas.

The chapter ends with them near a portal about to use it after Danifae harvests some poison from the creature's corpse. There is no indication they are waiting for anyone. Thus, it looks like the party has been split up again and these two are traveling alone.

I wonder how long before Danifae attempts to charm Valas? I don't trust that one. Wait, they are both drow. I don't trust either of them.

The sample chapter was very good. I've never read anything by Philip Athans before. Has anyone else read some of his work? Liked it? Didn't?

Anyway, just an update for those interested in the series.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
grrrrrr

We havent even got Elminsters Daughter down here yet and your already getting Junes novels!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:33:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

grrrrrr

We havent even got Elminsters Daughter down here yet and your already getting Junes novels!

Canada got Elminster's Daughter first so WOTC owes the U.S.

Maybe you'll get Eberron before the rest of us?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

grrrrrr

Canada got Elminster's Daughter first so WOTC owes the U.S.

Maybe you'll get Eberron before the rest of us?

*pulls out Rod of Smiting*

You want some of this?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You want some of this?

I'm (obviously) looking forward to this novel. The WotSQ series is fantastic, im just slightly worried that its going to get a bit silly after a few of the events in Extinction.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

You want some of this?

I'm (obviously) looking forward to this novel. The WotSQ series is fantastic, im just slightly worried that its going to get a bit silly after a few of the events in Extinction.

*chuckle*

The Sopranos just came on

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  15:05:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You want some of this?

Sirius holds up hands and backs away slowly. "I take it that's one no. One against the Eberron setting?"

But, it's going to save D&D as we know it, change the game, and clean your house too from what I hear.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  15:07:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which events in the last novel troubled you?

I am still struggling this group's stupidity. Don't they watch anyone game or any horror movies? Never, ever split up the party.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mainly the whole idea of Hallistra being handed so much on a plate by Eillistrae and the prospect of her battling Lloth

The evolving love story wasnt very fitting either. To be fair, I was expecting such from Lisa Smedman, judging by Heirs of Prophecy

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  17:22:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mainly the whole idea of Hallistra being handed so much on a plate by Eillistrae and the prospect of her battling Lloth

A set up. Hallistra is being set up somehow to help bring Lloth back.

quote:

The evolving love story wasnt very fitting either. To be fair, I was expecting such from Lisa Smedman, judging by Heirs of Prophecy

I liked Heirs of Prophecy and the romance within the last WOTSQ novel. But, then again give me character interaction any day over endless combat scenes and static characters.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  17:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think that the War of the Spider Queen Series just keeps getting better and better.

I immensely enjoyed Hallistra's transformation. I particularly enjoyed watching her drow reasoning slip away - i.e.- how her original logic contempating conversion was that Lloth (or Lolth) was not answering prayers, Eilistraee was...thus, it would benefit her more to become a worshipper of the Dark Maiden. As these ideals slipped away from her, she became more aware of the faulty nature of this logic, and her transformation seemed very realistic as a result.

And the love angle was great - an excellent way to show the reformation of a drow priestess, particularly showcasing how her attitude was changing toward males...

All in all...an excellent novel...from Gromph's blinding to Menzo's defense of its borders to the Dark Maiden ceremonies. If only there would have been more of that spicy little Aliiza...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  18:08:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim
If only there would have been more of that spicy little Aliiza...

Yes, I hope there is more of Aliiza in this novel. She has some great lines. It certainly looked like Aliiza would be featured some with the final passage in Extinction.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  05:41:03  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happen to also like Alizza too,and also Kaanyr Vhok too.Nimor as well.That's what I like about this series.There is just too many characters to like in this thing.Secondary to the main players in the series.Pharaun,Ryld,and Co...The first three books have been tremendous reads for me,and can't wait to read more.Great work for all involed...

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Twilight Herald
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  15:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Twilight Herald's Homepage Send Twilight Herald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaving aside Annihilationfor the moment, has anyone else in Australia managed to obtain a copy of Extinction yet? I've been scouring the gaming stores and better booksellers here in Brisbane for the hardcover, but to no avail. The first 3 novels were excellent, really got me back into FR, and it frustrates me no end how glacially slow the Australian distributors are in putting this series into circulation.

On the subject of WOTSQ spoilers, would anyone here be kind enough to enlighten me as to any information concerning the outcome of the duel between Vhaeraun and Selvetarm at the end of novel 3? I would be very chuffed indeed if Vhaeraun managed to put an end to his son and seize the portfolio of drow warriors for himself.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight Herald
On the subject of WOTSQ spoilers, would anyone here be kind enough to enlighten me as to any information concerning the outcome of the duel between Vhaeraun and Selvetarm at the end of novel 3? I would be very chuffed indeed if Vhaeraun managed to put an end to his son and seize the portfolio of drow warriors for himself.

To my recollection, no explicit information was given in the last novel regarding the outcome. Selvetarm was seen, badly wounded, still guarding the Face of Lolth.

Additionally, at the opening of Extinction, a Vhaeraun priest either cast a spell or was about to cast a spell. I took that as a sign that Vhaeraun was still alive and in contact with his priests.

Thus, I think the battle was a draw although nothing is certain.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  16:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Leaving aside Annihilationfor the moment, has anyone else in Australia managed to obtain a copy of Extinction yet? I've been scouring the gaming stores and better booksellers here in Brisbane for the hardcover, but to no avail. The first 3 novels were excellent, really got me back into FR, and it frustrates me no end how glacially slow the Australian distributors are in putting this series into circulation.

The Tinsoldier in Sydney has had it since January

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  19:12:01  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ch
quote:

Leaving aside Annihilationfor the moment, has anyone else in Australia managed to obtain a copy of Extinction yet? I've been scouring the gaming stores and better booksellers here in Brisbane for the hardcover, but to no avail. (snip)

I don't believe it ever reached any of the Brisbane stores. I picked it up on a trip to Singapore (where it is about 20% cheaper than it would be here in Brisbane). As I travel to Singapore every 4-6 weeks I can always pick up another copy so feel free to contact me at my username at hotmail.com if you want to make some sort of arrangements (as in, you can have my current copy which is still in PC).

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  21:08:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barnes & Noble online is listing Annihiliation as shipping within 2-3 days. Thus, it appears to be about to hit stores.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  05:35:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, about the sample chapter, I suspect that the Danifae/Valas duo is going to be the same situation as Ryld/Halisstra. Remember when Pharaun casted that spell and said that all except for one will betray one another? Perhaps Danifae might seduce Valas with her charms and convinces him to help her escape from Quenthel and the magic of the binding.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  05:41:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sirius, about the sample chapter, I suspect that the Danifae/Valas duo is going to be the same situation as Ryld/Halisstra. Remember when Pharaun casted that spell and said that all except for one will betray one another? Perhaps Danifae might seduce Valas with her charms and convinces him to help her escape from Quenthel and the magic of the binding.

I'm very curious to see if that happens. Valas is no fool, but most males (no offense guys) will let their brains travel south under the skillful charms of someone liked Danifae. As we go through our list of people who have betrayed the party, I'm got Ryld and Halisstra so far, but no one else. True?

And pardon me for a moment while I ponder why the sample chapter still isn't posted online for folks to view.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  04:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Barnes & Noble online is listing Annihiliation as shipping within 2-3 days. Thus, it appears to be about to hit stores.

Picked up my copy from B & N today and it is thus far (I am about 250 pages in) my favorite of the already exceptional series. Back to reading...

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  04:03:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified
Picked up my copy from B & N today and it is thus far (I am about 250 pages in) my favorite of the already exceptional series. Back to reading...

Come back after you finish and share your full thoughts on the tome. I'm curious to discuss this book, it's bringing forth a wide range of emotions from me.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  05:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Come back after you finish and share your full thoughts on the tome. I'm curious to discuss this book, it's bringing forth a wide range of emotions from me.

Yes I to will be interested to hear what the books like

To be honest I have rather low expectations of Annihilation due to the choice of Author (The 3 BG novel series left me with a less than impressed view of PAs work).

But Im willing to give him another shot.....I may be pleasantly suprised

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  06:06:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes I to will be interested to hear what the books like

Okay, here are some initial thoughts on what I've read so far.

The pacing in this book seems a bit off. Things don't seem to be moving at the speed of some other events in previous novels. This impression might just be myself as a reader eager to get to the series' conclusion to find out what happens. I did experience this feeling a bit when I read Richard Baker's entry. However, on a reread of the novel, I didn't feel as strong an impression as my intial run through.

I don't know how to properly explain it. A great deal seems to be going on, but not much is actually happening is the best way I can explain it.

quote:

To be honest I have rather low expectations of Annihilation due to the choice of Author (The 3 BG novel series left me with a less than impressed view of PAs work).

It's not Mr. Athans' writing. The writing is wonderful. Danifae is emerging more and I like how he's showing Ryld isn't exactly thrilled with life on the surface.

My problem right now might be too high of expectations. That happens at times and on a second read, things are better. We shall see.

quote:

But Im willing to give him another shot.....I may be pleasantly suprised

Well, don't read on if you wish to be surprised as we do have our first party member killed in this book and....maybe that's coloring my perception as I wasn't happy with it. I know events must take place to advance a story along (Believe me as a George R.R. Martin fan, I know about character deaths being a part of the story). However, this death does have me a bit bummed as there were three characters within the group that I would have gladly have read a seperate novel entirely focused on one of them. That list is now down to two.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  06:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SPOILERS

Action packed to say the least. I thought that Valas and Danifae's trip into the City of Portals was an interesting diversion from the other "pivotal" events of the tome. Jeggred's killing of Ryld, who I thought was the most interesting character and thus my favorite, was not really a suprise (Ryld's tomented existence and the interior book jacket hinted at it) and not unwanted by Ryld as he had nothing to live for besides love(a drow living for that would be prepostorous). Gromph vs Dyrr will indeed go down in drow wizadry history as it has banishment to Halfling Heaven, destroying a staff of power, asteriods,summoning, a lich drow turning into a construct, Gromph being petrefied, and the return of a goddess---even the Elminster series will have trouble outdoing that. I personally think that this was the most interesting part of the book. The format allows the fight to always be in the readers mind but never lingers to long for the reader to become bored with it. A side note, I have lost interest with Hallistra now that Ryld is gone, though things should pick up when she goes hunting with the Cresent Blade.

Side Note:
This novel helped shine the light, in my mind, on why the male drow follow Lloth. I had previously always believed fear alone would not lead to the devotion shown by Gromph and many of the other male citizens. Though the drow would not admit it openly, though Pharaun admitted it to himself, they are driven by the masses of others who follow and therefore see no alternative outside of service to Lloth and The City of Spiders-->they will never feel at "home" outside of Menzo. Hence, Ryld dies and waits for the Spider Queen to call him to eternity because everyone else waits with him. Lack of familarity outside of the semi-choatic environment of Menzo drives most of the characters to continue to do the Spider Queen's bidding.--> I suppose I just missed it with Zak in the Dark Elf Trilogy but, that was a long time ago.

Carthago delenda est.

Edited by - Ignorance Personified on 02 Jul 2004 06:27:08
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  07:13:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far this one looks good, but I'm not to far into it but i'll have it finished by the end of the weekend. BTW, yes Sirius I managed to grab a copy earlier today. :)

However, I really wish the authors would decide which cosmology they are going to use. Lloth's realm doesn't reside on the 666 layer of the Abyss any more! I noticed this also with Paul's second Cale novel, he makes references to Limbo which doesn't exist either....

Sigh please, please, please, pick a cosmology and stick with it!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Jul 2004 07:15:59
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  07:30:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

So far this one looks good, but I'm not to far into it but i'll have it finished by the end of the weekend. BTW, yes Sirius I managed to grab a copy earlier today. :)

I hope you enjoy it better than I did. I've got my copy packaged up ready to be shipped back to the online dealer come the morning. Although the previous four novels in the series sit proudly on my main bookshelf next to my autographed Elaine Cunningham books and my Feist/Martin novels, I just have no desire to keep this one. Right next to my pacakge is the one I got from my player. A few hours ago, after she finished reading her copy, she handed the book back to me and also asked me to just ship it back.

I'm glad others enjoy it, but to me, this novel felt off as far as how some characters have been written compared to the other novels and how the pacing was for the events within.

quote:

However, I really wish the authors would decide which cosmology they are going to use. Lloth's realm doesn't reside on the 666 layer of the Abyss any more!

Sigh please, please, please, pick a cosmology and stick with it!

I was curious as to how that change would go over on these boards.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:16:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I hope you enjoy it better than I did. I've got my copy packaged up ready to be shipped back to the online dealer come the morning. Although the previous four novels in the series sit proudly on my main bookshelf next to my autographed Elaine Cunningham books and my Feist/Martin novels, I just have no desire to keep this one. Right next to my pacakge is the one I got from my player. A few hours ago, after she finished reading her copy, she handed the book back to me and also asked me to just ship it back.

I'm glad others enjoy it, but to me, this novel felt off as far as how some characters have been written compared to the other novels and how the pacing was for the events within.

I was curious as to how that change would go over on these boards.

Yea the cosmology things just really bother me, especially since later on in the book he makes references to Doom and Despair, so I know he had to at least read the 3e material! Sigh.

Any how, I dunno some of this seems a little off, like how she removed the bond.... Ah well I'd never be able to return a FR novel, but it might just sit on my shelf and gather dust. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gotrex
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  14:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Gotrex's Homepage Send Gotrex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah i so want this book

it aint out here untill end of july

though i got a feeling im gonna be disapointed because im rooting for the duergar and tanuraks and want menzo to be razed to the ground but i got a feeling it wont happen because WOTC like the drow to much :(
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  14:27:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gotrex

Gah i so want this book

it aint out here untill end of july

though i got a feeling im gonna be disapointed because im rooting for the duergar and tanuraks and want menzo to be razed to the ground but i got a feeling it wont happen because WOTC like the drow to much :(

From the get go I felt there was no way Menzo was going to fall.
Go to Top of Page

Gotrex
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  16:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Gotrex's Homepage Send Gotrex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeh i never thought it would happen because as i said WOTC like menzo

doesnt stop me wanting it to happen :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000