Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is there a Forgotten Realms 5E adventure timeline?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dead
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2024 :  07:48:59  Show Profile Send dead a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there is a timeline listed somewhere for Forgotten Realms dates listed in official 5E adventures.

I'd just like to see how the years have advanced. I know WotC was listing dates in the early 5E adventures but they may not be doing that anymore. (In light of their current trend to keep dates vague and "reset" settings.)

I was talking to someone on ENWorld and they said, "The Forgotten Realms hasn't actually moved anywhere in the past decade of publications." Is that true?

Thank you

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2024 :  17:05:59  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I can post links or not, but this should answer in detail for you

https://alphastream.org/index.php/2020/04/09/the-official-timeline-for-the-forgotten-realms-and-its-adventures/
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2024 :  17:39:37  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

https://alphastream.org/index.php/2020/04/09/the-official-timeline-for-the-forgotten-realms-and-its-adventures/

Wow, thanks for the awesome link! I was following this because I was curious myself and this was very informative.

Alamadaeo: http://40.media.tumblr.com/4828796b38923a6472e20a2c2e3ab705/tumblr_mfjzc0KBB61qfnq1do3_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page

dead
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2024 :  07:25:55  Show Profile Send dead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

Thanks for that. That's just what I was looking for.

Looks like the last FR date mentioned in a publication was in Candlekeep Mysteries released in 2021.

I wonder if any FR dates will be dropped in the upcoming Vecna: Eve of Ruin adventure which begins in the Forgotten Realms and travels to Planescape, Spelljammer, Eberron, Ravenloft, Dragonlance and Greyhawk.

It will also be interesting to see what the timelines of the other settings are or if they have been "reset".
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2024 :  16:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only issue I have with the order is Descent to Avernus, which is dated to 1494 but it takes place before Baldur's Gate III, which is dated very firmly to 1492. But of course WotC would probably say that video games and tabletop adventures are not necessarily in line with one another anyway. Honour Among Thieves also likely takes place post-1496 (maybe even ~1500) given the status of Neverwinter versus its prior depictions in 4E and 5E.

Out of the Abyss (1485 DR or later – perhaps end of 1486)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat (1489 DR)
Storm King’s Thunder (1490 or 1491 DR)
Lost Mine of Phandelver (Starter Set) (1491 DR)
Dragons of Stormwreck Isle (Starter Set) (1491 DR based on pregens)
Princes of the Apocalypse (1491 DR)
Curse of Strahd (1491 DR)
Tomb of Annihilation (1490 or 1491 DR)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (1492 DR)
Dragon of Icespire Peak (Essentials Kit) (1492 DR)
Candlekeep Mysteries (1492 DR)
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden (Winter 1489 DR or later, likely 1492 DR)
Descent Into Avernus (1494 DR)
Acquisitions Incorporated (1496 DR)

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (Date unknown, presumably after Rise of Tiamat)
Spelljammer: Light of Xaryxis (While it can take place after Lost Mine, that is merely a suggestion and the adventure is setting-independent)
Go to Top of Page

Blithric
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2024 :  06:03:29  Show Profile Send Blithric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

The only issue I have with the order is Descent to Avernus, which is dated to 1494 but it takes place before Baldur's Gate III, which is dated very firmly to 1492. But of course WotC would probably say that video games and tabletop adventures are not necessarily in line with one another anyway.

The adventure is not definitively dated to 1494 DR. The text gives us two different dates. In the "Baldur's Gate Gazetteer" chapter of DIA we get a date that jives with BG3. It says that
quote:
[t]his chapter describes the independent city of Baldur's Gate as things are in 1492 DR. (159)

Note that the sentence is written in the present tense. It describes things as they are in 1492, not as they were in 1492 if the chapter were looking back from 1494Ñand why would an adventure set in 1494 have a chapter on what the city was like two years earlier instead of during the year it was set? That makes no sense. But we don't have to resort to parsing grammar. DIA's lead story creator, Adam Lee, has tweeted an answer to this very question:

https://twitter.com/adamofadventure/status/1176524289517834240

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2024 :  01:58:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

The only issue I have with the order is Descent to Avernus, which is dated to 1494 but it takes place before Baldur's Gate III, which is dated very firmly to 1492. But of course WotC would probably say that video games and tabletop adventures are not necessarily in line with one another anyway. Honour Among Thieves also likely takes place post-1496 (maybe even ~1500) given the status of Neverwinter versus its prior depictions in 4E and 5E.

Out of the Abyss (1485 DR or later – perhaps end of 1486)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat (1489 DR)
Storm King’s Thunder (1490 or 1491 DR)
Lost Mine of Phandelver (Starter Set) (1491 DR)
Dragons of Stormwreck Isle (Starter Set) (1491 DR based on pregens)
Princes of the Apocalypse (1491 DR)
Curse of Strahd (1491 DR)
Tomb of Annihilation (1490 or 1491 DR)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (1492 DR)
Dragon of Icespire Peak (Essentials Kit) (1492 DR)
Candlekeep Mysteries (1492 DR)
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden (Winter 1489 DR or later, likely 1492 DR)
Descent Into Avernus (1494 DR)
Acquisitions Incorporated (1496 DR)

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (Date unknown, presumably after Rise of Tiamat)
Spelljammer: Light of Xaryxis (While it can take place after Lost Mine, that is merely a suggestion and the adventure is setting-independent)

Going by the Salvatore novels, Out of the Abyss takes place after Tyranny of Dragons, since it's stated in Hero that Tiamat's effort to enter the Realms failed shortly before Gromph summoned Demogorgon and allowed the other demon Princes into the Underdark - and he does that right at the end of 1486 DR. Bob and WotC have never been great at reconciling what happens when in his books though, despite the fact that Bob was a story consultant for Out of the Abyss.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000