Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ruminations on the current state of the Zhentarim
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2023 :  04:25:04  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So for those not up on the state of the Zhentarim circa 1489 DR, the Shades basically blew them up as part of their attempt to become the pre-eminent powers in the Moonsea region.

Out of the wreckage of this period, the Zhentarim reforged themselves to become a not very principled mercantile concern that traded with all sides (basically taking the place of the Red Wizard enclaves after they had their own Doctor Doom vs Latveria civil war moment) for all things, providing anything from mercenaries and slaves to low level magical gear (and they weren't scrupled to trade with evil sorts either) depending on the local market and demand.

They've done well for themselves, all things considered. They are part of the daily milieu even in large cities such as Waterdeep (even if they confine their headquarters to the seedier sides of town) and the Lords don't bat an eye. They are even considered a (semi) legitimate organization troubled adventurers can join (The Black Network is considered a faction in organized play).

I'm just wondering if any one of the elder sages of lore here have the inside track of the Black Network at the moment considering the following:

- Is it all a front? Is dominance of the Moonsea via late stage Capitalism enough, or will they actually want to go back to their Kingdom subverting ways?

- How much internal conflict is there? Waterdeep Dragon Heist has a Monshoon clone leading a "True Black Network" to fight ironically against the existing Black Network. So it seems that there is a faction that says that owning all the coin, period, is enough and there are those more old fashioned types oppose them?

- The Pereghost still (as far as I know) leads them. In the wiki, he is stated to be a worshipper of Cyric and not a very nice person. Has Cyric and his representatives realized that the way to really twist the cosmic knife is basically to become evil (evil-er) Jeff Bezos?

- Any juicy present-day secrets people might be privy to and want to spill? Where did all the Eye-Tyrants and Zhentil-Liches go? Do they want a slice of the dolla-dolla pie too?

prototype00

Edited by - prototype00 on 22 Oct 2023 13:50:26

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2023 :  00:53:02  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed contributed to: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/324679/Darkhold-Secrets-of-the-Zhentarim, which is generally a solid book, albeit I and others were really annoyed they changed the story of Ashemmi because of a picture of her in Dragon magazine, which was IMHO stupid.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2023 :  13:23:45  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prototype00
- How much internal conflict is there? Waterdeep Dragon Heist has a Monshoon clone leading a "True Black Network" to fight ironically against the existing Black Network.

If I remember correctly Dragon Heist just says that Manshoon wants to regain control of the Black Network. Nothing about a "True Black Network" fighting the other Black Network Groups.

The current state of the Zhentarim seems to be more of a loose organization that consists of many different groups of different sizes and strengths, each lead by an individual and all calling them selves Zhentarim, but in the end each of them trying to get enough power to claim total leadership. The Brimstone Angels series has some insight into it too.
I think it's unknown, if there still is someone at the top calling the shots from behind the curtain.
Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2023 :  13:24:28  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might not be all the information that 5e offers, scant as it is, but here's a basic summary of what I found from various books and Adventurers League PDFS.

- The whole thing is a front for the Zhentarim to covertly rule the land via money, influence and using various cities leaders as puppets for their own benefit. The sword coast portion of the Zhentarim still employs a lot of spies and assassins to do the subverting while hiding behind the facade of only offering mercenaries for hire, which makes sense if Dark

- Dragon Heist's Zhentarim schism appears to basically be a turf war caused by the upstarts refusing to view Manshoon their superior in the Zhentarim, instead of a schism over any ideology, seeing as his plan is to hide his existence and attempting to covertly rule the city which lines up pretty well with the Pereghost's style of running the Zhentarim. While not followed up on, the Tyranny of Dragons adventure mentions some Zhentarim deciding to throw in with the Tiamat summoners as they think that's the winning side, which is unsuprising given the Zhentarim still recruits ambitious people who are in it for their own benefit.

- The Pereghost and Manxam the beholders are mentioned as being the leaders of the Zhentarim, abd based on information from Adventures League, the Zhentarim have some connection to the Church of Bane at least in Zhentil Keep where it holds some influence.

- Given the mention of Manxam in the Darkhold portion of the SCAG, presumably the other eye-tyrants relocated there.

It's likely that Ed's attempted to fill in some gaps on twitter, might be worth combing the more recent Ed threads in Chamber of the Sages.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2023 :  22:08:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pereghost is one of my favorite Zhentarim members.

However...

I also think he has always been a tool of Manshoon. At least a loyal henchman.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000