Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Enemies and minions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:06:36  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, let's talk about those members of the adventure that make it interesting, and i'm not talking about the fierce warriors, the wise magician and the attractive cleric. I'm talking about the enemies, those creatures that appears always in the worst moment, when youre weary of life and have no memorized powerful spells. Tell us whats the worst creature you've ever seen, or this one that you really hate, and your experiences whith them.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Alaundo on 19 May 2004 15:59:41

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  19:39:48  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything with Improved Grab... a grizzly or polar bear can be the bane of a mage, even at high level (i.e. that'll teach the mage to always wander around with a wand of something, instead of a cool dagger or quarterstaff... )
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  20:39:49  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's easy enemies that get away with no chance of catching them
be it fly,swim,dimension door, teleport etc..

I just hate it when the enemy gets away while all i can do is curse silently.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  21:16:18  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate the kind of villain that takes all the fun out of hunting him down to kill him...

This one time my party and i chased an evil wizard through some caverns and out onto the top of a mountain. From there the villain got a bit too overconfident and tried to run over a rope bridge... to cut a long story short he failed his reflex save and fell to his horrible death.

I felt like crying at the sound of all those excellent magic items getting smashed... we'd chased that guy for SO long too and he'd used lots of great items against us. My rogue was already figuring out how he was gonna use all of them.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 18 May 2004 21:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The worst creature (note that I said creature, not enemy) I have ever encountered in my entire gaming career is the dreaded armageddon beast. These greater tanar'ri make even the nastiest 'paragon' balor look tame. Fortunately, there are only a few of them .

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  12:30:12  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, it's quite impressive no one of you have mentioned the dragons. I don't know what d'you think about the creatures called Illicids, but their are one of my most hated enemies, without of course forgetting the tanar'ris, the balors,the wizards drows, and the king of the enemies in d&d the dragons, have you ever fought against one? I remember a fight against a red dragon it was really really difficult, even my morph in Greater Werewolf couldn't save some of my party. But the gold i took from him allowed me to resurrect all of them and buy them some "interesting items".

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked

Edited by - Thelonius on 19 May 2004 12:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  14:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your response, Glon, has reminded me of one of the more terrifying creatures I've encountered-a half-illithid rust dragon and it's spawn. The dragon cracked open, rended, and disintegrated characters' defenses, and then sucked out their brains. A mighty foe.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:07:40  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, in my travels trough the lands i've never heard about this creature, how did you defeated it? I've got many problems with the illicids and the ulitharids, so i wanna be ready when i find it.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Your response, Glon, has reminded me of one of the more terrifying creatures I've encountered-a half-illithid rust dragon and it's spawn. The dragon cracked open, rended, and disintegrated characters' defenses, and then sucked out their brains. A mighty foe.

So let me get this straight... You encountered a strange creature of considerable size with tentacles around it's mouth and great draconic wings...

Doesn't this remind you of anything?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:42:54  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually... not. Sorry, maybe that i've spent to much time in my deep forest.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  15:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was talking to Arivia .

I wouldn't apologise for spending time in Spanish forests though. I've been to Spain, and the woodland regions in that country are quite spectacular . . . . So, if anyone else has experienced these natural wonders, they'll understand completely .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  16:37:15  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You speak wisely Lady Kazandra. The forest are one of our most valuable resources here in Spain.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  17:15:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

So let me get this straight... You encountered a strange creature of considerable size with tentacles around it's mouth and great draconic wings...

A lawyer?

Actually, it does sound Cthulhu-esque. I didn't catch that before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  17:32:34  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Arivia

A lawyer?

Actually, it does sound Cthulhu-esque. I didn't catch that before.

LOL! rofl

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  11:02:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You never told me you were a Lovecraft devotee...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did ask afterwards, actually-I was told that was part of the inspiration, in addition to the fact that the DM thought the two would make an interesting combination, stats-wise-He was right.

Ah, Glon, the plan went along the lines of "have half the party fall under the dragon's attacks while wildly trying to slay it by spell"-it was a hasty one, and one that didn't work too well in terms of party mortality. You'll likely not face one, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:40:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Arivia, is there any chance you can acquire the stats for this creature? I'd really like to see the work-up for it. I have stats for a Cthulhu-type creature, but I like to read other DM's interpretations as well.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually Arivia, is there any chance you can acquire the stats for this creature? I'd really like to see the work-up for it. I have stats for a Cthulhu-type creature, but I like to read other DM's interpretations as well.

I can get something fairly close. I know the DM in question doesn't have the notes anymore, but I do remember enough to write them up myself. Yet another thing to do...I believe my pile is approaching yours, Sage...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  15:20:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really...?

I have to use a teleport spell just to exit and enter my room because the multitude piles of work still to be done stand like the silent stone Pillars of Argoth...

What do you use?

Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  21:58:00  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gion

Tell us whats the worst creature you've ever seen, or this one that you really hate, and your experiences whith them.

Behirs..I hate Behirs. Well, I hate Behirs that get close to you. (Ranged weapons good for Behirs...swords not so much.) The swallow whole and acid damage is a tough thing to fight, even at the appropriate levels.

2 Behirs nearly wiped out out our party of 4 (or 5) level 6-8 characters. It was a challange.

~Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  23:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really...?

I have to use a teleport spell just to exit and enter my room because the multitude piles of work still to be done stand like the silent stone Pillars of Argoth...

What do you use?

Flight. There's a tiny crawlspace at the top of the pile of desks and chairs-that works for me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:36:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a particularly nasty version of a 'Paragon' Balor that I'd like to post, but I think I'll ask for Alaundo's permission first.

Do I have the okay for this Alaundo?

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:45:40  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bane of our existence is anything that poisons... Poison daggers, posion arrows.. poison bites... Poison claws... Undercooked food... We HATE poison.. useful tool yes but not when used against our chars... Poison=Death... why? Several reasons... some from personal experience and the other is : our characters follow the thought that "that which does not kill us makes us stronger"... and then we usually die of poison... Disease O.K... only hate poison... and Bunnies... Vicious animals those...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 22 May 2004 06:49:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:59:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add to that list, if I may Cardinal...?

As well as bunnies, I'd also like to mentioned Giff. Bunnies and Giff, the true horrors of the multiverse...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a particularly nasty version of a 'Paragon' Balor that I'd like to post, but I think I'll ask for Alaundo's permission first.

Do I have the okay for this Alaundo?

Well met

Indeed, Sage. Let's see your pennings

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:31:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Alaundo .

Now, before I present the creature, please bear in mind that it is not yet fully complete. It's a creation for a one-shot adventure that I'm designing for some characters who are about to undertake their first planar adventure (even though they are 25+ level PCs). It uses the standard Balor stats from the SRD, and the 'Paragon' template from the ELHB.

Paragon Balor (Tanar'ri)
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil)
13d8+156 plus 156 (416 hp)
Initiative: (+9 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 120 ft, fly 270 ft (good)
AC: 62 (-1 size, +9 Dex, +12 luck, +12 insight, +20 natural)
Attacks: +1 vorpal greatsword +51/+46/+41, whip +50 melee; or two slams +52 melee
Damage: +1 vorpal greatsword 2d6+36, whip 1d4+27 and entangle; or slam 1d6+35 and fear
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/ 10 ft
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, fear, entangle, body flames, summon tanar'ri
Special Qualities: Tanar'ri qualities, Damage Reduction 20/+6, SR 43, fast healing 20, death throes
Saves: Fort+29, Ref+26, Will+30
Abilities: Str 40, Dex 28, Con 34, Int 35, Wis 35, Cha 31
Skills: Bluff +35, Concentration +37, Diplomacy +34, Hide +31, Knowledge (any) +30, Listen +45, Move Silently +29, Scry +38, Search +37, Sense Motive +37
CR: 33
Treasure: Standard coins, double goods, plus whip; standard items plus +1 vorpal greatsword
Alignment: Always chaotic evil

Spell-like abilities: At will- blasphemy, deeper darkness, desecrate, detect good, detect law, fear, greater dispelling, pyrotechnics, read magic, suggestion, symbol (any), telekinesis, teleport w/out error (self plus 50 lbs objects only), tongues (self only), unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight, and wall of fire; 3/day-haste; 1/day- fire storm and implosion- as a 35th level sorcerer. (Save DC 20+ spell level)
Fear (Su): A creature hit by a paragon balor's slam attack must succeed at a Will save (DC 39) or flee in terror for 1d6 rounds.
Body Flames (Su): A paragon balor can wreathe its body in roaring flames as a free action. The balor suffers no harm, but anyone grappling with it takes 4d6+13 points of fire damage each round.
Detect Magic (Su): A paragon balor continuously detects magic as the spell cast by a 35th level sorcerer.
See Invisibility (Su): A paragon balor continuously sees invisibility as the spell cast by a 35th level sorcerer.
Death Throes (Ex): When killed, a paragon balor explodes in a flash of light that deals 50 points of damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex half DC 28)
All other special abilities are as a standard balor.

Now, it would probably be wielding a sword more formidible than the traditional +1 vorpal and possibly an improved whip as well... Also, being not particularly fond of working with Epic material in the first place, I have absolutely no clue when and how it qualifies for Epic feats. The Paragon mind flayer given as example would seem to me to not be eligible for any beyond the two bonus feats (since its hit dice, unlike its hit points, have not increased), and yet it has five of them- it's not that the additional hit points qualify as hit dice for feats, or else a paragon would get additional skill points from its boosted intelligence, which the example does not. (It should have them anyway, technically, just like an "elite" specimen of a species does if it happens to have higher intelligence than average, but it still doesn't... seems like an error to me....)

Note that some paragon abilities are omitted- a balor's natural energy resistances are greater than that granted by the template- additionally, See Invisibility and Greater Dispelling 3/day are redundant with the standard balor's spell-likes ("continuous" and "at will", respectively).

More to come...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  14:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question, Sage-and the answer is an odd one. Strictly according to the rules, the epic prerequisite for feats for NPCs goes like this: 21 or more HD. However, Wizards has not used this when creating creatures-they tend to use CR of 21 or more as a prerequisite-and they have good reason to. There's no denying it-there's a large power jump at level 21. Why? Epic feats. The PCs don't have access to epic spells or epic magic items yet, but they do have access to epic feats, which will immediately make them much tougher. So the opponents must receive the same power increase-so Wizards deliberately broke the rules, but didn't tell anyone. My best guess is that a monster can take one epic feat at CR 21, and an additional feat for every increase in CR of 2 beyond that-so a CR 21 creature can take 1 epic feat, while a CR 23 creature can take 2 epic feats. However, this does not grant them bonus feats in any quantity-it's a limit on how many epic feats they can have, based upon non-class HD.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  15:16:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, then my earlier thoughts about feats were correct. I'll have to see about adjusting the working list I have with me here then, before I post them.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why it was so formidable......said rust dragon/illithid was a customized bloodscaled fury......So, short stat line looks like this:

Oolvulnath(CE great wyrm half-illithid rust dragon bloodscaled fury 12)

There's more to it then that-I've received what little notes still exist, so the complete stat list should appear soon...still,
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:31:56  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See I would think you are right about acqisition of Epic feats being allowed by creatures of CR 21+ - they give another example in the Fiend Folio when they give a CR 21/18 HD demon an epic feat, but I would still think that epic feats are 'purchased' by no. of HD.

So take the paragon balor - he's CR 33, but I don't think he gets any extra (epic) feats until you advance him to 15 HD. When he's at 15 HD, cos he is over 21 CR he can get Epic feats (or another normal feat). The way feats are 'purchased' is layed out in the Epic section of the DMG 3.5, and it hasn't changed (i.e. 1 feat at 21 HD, 24, 27, 30 blah, blah!). That is how I would work it.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:33:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"" indeed...

Refresh my memory, the 'bloodscaled fury' is a template, yes?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000