Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jack Archer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  14:45:10  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I didn't know where to post this topic but I decided to put it here because it sorta has to do with fantasy.

Bookwyrm, where can I find the stories about Jack Archer? I heard other members mention it but I've never read it myself.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Bookwyrm's tome on Jack Archer can be found here, DDH_101.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:38:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Alaundo. I better get going on this... six pages.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you could have just emailed me. Regardless, I hope you enjoy it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:25:36  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. Anyways, Bookwrym I thought your Jack Archer story was really great. I've always thought about how life would be like if one day if Earth and Toril became one... Your story has answered many of my questions.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  11:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how'd the characters adapt to change of environment. I just finished reading a novel "The Barbed Coil" and the main character Tessa is transported across from USA to a fantasy realm. At first she has trouble adapting to the dangers of the new world but with help she settles in. I'd find it very difficult if I was transported across worlds with nothing but the shirt on your back.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  17:46:42  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lina, if "we" were transported to Faerun, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt because we know more about Realms itself more than most Faerunian scholars. Lol. Almost every member here is a sage on FR.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  09:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind, though, that this character concept isn't about what would happen if the average U.S. citizen fell into Faerun. Jack Archer is far from average, after all. It's really about exploring Faerun (and by extension, D&D) through eyes that have never seen it before. To do that, Jack had to be highly intelligent and know something about fantasy and mythology, or else he wouldn't appreciate it and want to know the reasons behind it all.

He also had to be able to take care of himself. The average U.S. citizen (likely myself as well) would have turned and ran if some guy started lobbing spells at him or her. But that wouldn't have served the purpose of the character concept, now would it?

Perhaps this should be continued in the approprate scroll, though?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  01:57:08  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Keep in mind, though, that this character concept isn't about what would happen if the average U.S. citizen fell into Faerun. Jack Archer is far from average, after all. It's really about exploring Faerun (and by extension, D&D) through eyes that have never seen it before. To do that, Jack had to be highly intelligent and know something about fantasy and mythology, or else he wouldn't appreciate it and want to know the reasons behind it all.

He also had to be able to take care of himself. The average U.S. citizen (likely myself as well) would have turned and ran if some guy started lobbing spells at him or her. But that wouldn't have served the purpose of the character concept, now would it?

Perhaps this should be continued in the approprate scroll, though?

Right you are Bookwyrm.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000