Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Seeking Alternate Names for the Dire Corbies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  13:02:54  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello Everyone. I'm currently running a game in the Underdark (Out of the Abyss), and I've been looking to use Dire Corbies as they were presented in the 5e Fiend Folio. I'm a big fan of how the Aearee creator race was handled in the Candlekeep Compendium, and so I'm using the lore presented there as the origin of the race. Namely, the Dire Corbies are descendants of Aearee-Quor who fled the fall of their empire by going to the Underdark. They still worship the demon lord Pazuzu (Pazrael to them), and have become monstrous, cruel, and just intelligent enough to be considered sentient as a result.

Due to this lore, I've been seeking an alternate name for the race, as 'Dire Corby' more like an exonym given to them as opposed to something they'd be calling themselves. One of my players is a warlock (an aasimar) to a fiend in service to Pazrael, and is being tasked with freeing Pazrael from his prison, an iron flask in possession of a sapphire dragon. I want an alternate name for the Dire Corbies because I want to use them as temporary depraved allies of the warlock, to show them the consequences of extended association with the demon lord.

I've toyed around with names like 'Pazaearee', 'Pazaeri', and some other bastardizations of 'Aearee-Pazra', but I've not been able to come up with something that sounds natural. I'd appreciate any help you all can offer.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  16:41:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could go with the idea that "dire corby" (which does sound ridiculous) is an approximation of what they call themselves. Maybe they call themselves something like "daerkoreaee" and some human chronicler couldn't figure it out and thought it was "dire corby"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Sep 2022 16:44:27
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  21:07:26  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I share much the same musings regarding the dire corby. I really quite like the Dungeon #183 depiction of them with vulture-like heads and with various arms and equipment signifying their intelligence in being able to craft items, rather than the other more "bestial" depictions of dire corbies in D&D media elsewhere. There is already the hook horror, so I don't see why we need to have two avian underground humanoids with animal-like intelligence.

I would concur with Wooly's line of thinking. Since the name given to them by humans should have some logic behind it. Arakorbee?
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  13:52:27  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this idea of making a name that sounds like Dire Corby and might have been written down incorrectly as a result. To my understanding 'corby' is some old word relating to 'corvid', so a name that sounds like either could cause some scholar to mistakenly assume the race to merely be large corvids adapted to the Underdark, hence 'dire'.

Ko'oravee or perhaps Koor'vee? I suppose, since they descend from the Aearee-Quor, Quor'vee, Kuorvee, or something similar could also work. They are no longer worshipers of Quorlinn, but they likely don't have much of a memory as to what their original name meant to the original Aearee. Thoughts on incorporating Quor-/Kuor-?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  14:38:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dire corby sounds like someone misheard 'corgi'.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  15:38:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MandarinB

I like this idea of making a name that sounds like Dire Corby and might have been written down incorrectly as a result. To my understanding 'corby' is some old word relating to 'corvid', so a name that sounds like either could cause some scholar to mistakenly assume the race to merely be large corvids adapted to the Underdark, hence 'dire'.

Ko'oravee or perhaps Koor'vee? I suppose, since they descend from the Aearee-Quor, Quor'vee, Kuorvee, or something similar could also work. They are no longer worshipers of Quorlinn, but they likely don't have much of a memory as to what their original name meant to the original Aearee. Thoughts on incorporating Quor-/Kuor-?

How about Kar'Koor'ee and that it means "The Twice Descended"? I removed the 'v' since I am not sure that sound could be made with a beak.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  16:06:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I now want to see a Dire Corgi as a D&D monster.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  16:38:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I now want to see a Dire Corgi as a D&D monster.

Easy. Corgi + shadow creature template.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  21:15:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see where you are going... but how about a LITTLE twisting

D'Aear'Quori

Some of the Aearee sought to recover ancient magics of the Batrachi related to the sundering. They went to one of the sites where a primordial had been released and found a gate existing to Abeir. They traversed to this other world, wherein they discovered a new form of magic.... dream magic. They found that there were crystalline growths in the underdark of Abeir near the body of a dreaming primordial. They learned to tap into these crystals for power, and even began to transfer them from Abeir to Toril, for they found that they could use them even across worlds.

But the dreaming primordial came to the attention of other beings.... beings from a plane of dreams known as Dal Quor. Through their psychic link to the dream crystals, these Aearee as well came to the attention of the residents of Dal Quor. Some of these Aearee became hosts for the Quori, and their society became known as Aearee-Quor. They began experimentation on the crystals in the underdark near Aearee-Quor, and they found that they could convert much of the nearby crystal.

But the primordial intellect that inhabited these crystals was not one to be tamed, and it called out for aid against its captors. It soon contacted the gnolls of Urgnarash, whose shamans of Yeenoghu summoned Marrash spirits of disease. The Wasting Plague that followed decimated the Aearee-Quor, but on those who were acting as hosts for the Quori the plague had a much different effect. The psychic symbionts were driven from their minds, and they were driven insane by a song that continually played in their head which was lessened by being in areas of dark and calm. It is these Aearee-Quor that became known as the D'Aear'Quori.

The other Aearee of the colony, seeing an opportunity to grab power, turned to a being of power known as Pazrael. Using its power, he stripped the D'Aear'Quori of their ability to fly and speak. This was seen as a sure sign that they were no longer meant to lead, for surely they were now invalids.

There are those who believe that this crystal has some ties to the being known as Pandorym and also Entropy, and that the Imaskari discovered it in searching for lore of the Aearee. Whether this is true.....

Some also say that the "god" Quorlinn was nothing more than a spirit of dreams who inhabited the body of several aearee leaders, and that the stories of his exploits were nothing more than dreams delivered unto his followers in a way to teach them his ways. Its thought that the kenku used to have a mastery of disguise that came from some form of dream based magic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Sep 2022 22:35:20
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  23:16:47  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Corby/corbie' is just another word for 'raven/crow,' by the way.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  03:03:29  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could just, y'know, use 'corvid' instead of something that reminds readers of small, fluffy animals owned by tiny old ladies.
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  15:16:24  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

How about Kar'Koor'ee and that it means "The Twice Descended"? I removed the 'v' since I am not sure that sound could be made with a beak.

I like this, I think I'll use Kara'Kuor'ee/Kaera'kuor'ee. The change from Quor to Kuor being a shift from the word's meaning of 'twilight, day-thief' to just 'night, day-thief'. Maybe the full name could mean 'Those Under Night' or 'Those who brought the Night', or just 'Night-Flock', and be tied to a false belief of the Dire Corbies that their ancestors brought on an eternal night (their descent into the Underdark).

quote:
Originally posted by Slevyas

D'Aear'Quori

Some of the Aearee sought to recover ancient magics of the Batrachi related to the sundering. They went to one of the sites where a primordial had been released and found a gate existing to Abeir. They traversed to this other world, wherein they discovered a new form of magic.... dream magic. They found that there were crystalline growths in the underdark of Abeir near the body of a dreaming primordial. They learned to tap into these crystals for power, and even began to transfer them from Abeir to Toril, for they found that they could use them even across worlds.

But the dreaming primordial came to the attention of other beings.... beings from a plane of dreams known as Dal Quor. Through their psychic link to the dream crystals, these Aearee as well came to the attention of the residents of Dal Quor. Some of these Aearee became hosts for the Quori, and their society became known as Aearee-Quor. They began experimentation on the crystals in the underdark near Aearee-Quor, and they found that they could convert much of the nearby crystal.

But the primordial intellect that inhabited these crystals was not one to be tamed, and it called out for aid against its captors. It soon contacted the gnolls of Urgnarash, whose shamans of Yeenoghu summoned Marrash spirits of disease. The Wasting Plague that followed decimated the Aearee-Quor, but on those who were acting as hosts for the Quori the plague had a much different effect. The psychic symbionts were driven from their minds, and they were driven insane by a song that continually played in their head which was lessened by being in areas of dark and calm. It is these Aearee-Quor that became known as the D'Aear'Quori.

The other Aearee of the colony, seeing an opportunity to grab power, turned to a being of power known as Pazrael. Using its power, he stripped the D'Aear'Quori of their ability to fly and speak. This was seen as a sure sign that they were no longer meant to lead, for surely they were now invalids.

There are those who believe that this crystal has some ties to the being known as Pandorym and also Entropy, and that the Imaskari discovered it in searching for lore of the Aearee. Whether this is true.....

Some also say that the "god" Quorlinn was nothing more than a spirit of dreams who inhabited the body of several aearee leaders, and that the stories of his exploits were nothing more than dreams delivered unto his followers in a way to teach them his ways. Its thought that the kenku used to have a mastery of disguise that came from some form of dream based magic.

The lore you present here is pretty good, but I'm pretty attached to what was written by Gray Richardson for his article in the Candlekeep Compendium and for this thread back in 2009.

https://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12568

So for my Realms, the Dire Corbies are going to remain the descendants of the Aearee-Quor who turned their back on Quorlinn and fled to the Underdark following their empire's collapse, with the ones that returned to the worship of Quorlinn being the Kenku (who lost their voices as a final curse by Pazrael).

I appreciate the write up, it has given me some ideas on how to explain the bizarre behavior of the Dire Corbies: Perhaps they
do hear a cacophonous song in the back of their head, inspiring them to add their own voices to it. Maybe they've grown accustomed to the maddening song, and silence, which could be achieved by leaving the flock and the Underdark, would be comparable to an individual choosing to forgo one of their senses through mutilation. Thanks for the idea c:
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  00:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for not being able to add to the suggestions with so many good ones made already. I just want to add that that sounds like an awesome story background. Wish adventures that went that deep into the lore were officially produced.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  19:35:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Slevyas

D'Aear'Quori

The lore you present here is pretty good, but I'm pretty attached to what was written by Gray Richardson for his article in the Candlekeep Compendium and for this thread back in 2009.

https://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12568

So for my Realms, the Dire Corbies are going to remain the descendants of the Aearee-Quor who turned their back on Quorlinn and fled to the Underdark following their empire's collapse, with the ones that returned to the worship of Quorlinn being the Kenku (who lost their voices as a final curse by Pazrael).

I appreciate the write up, it has given me some ideas on how to explain the bizarre behavior of the Dire Corbies: Perhaps they
do hear a cacophonous song in the back of their head, inspiring them to add their own voices to it. Maybe they've grown accustomed to the maddening song, and silence, which could be achieved by leaving the flock and the Underdark, would be comparable to an individual choosing to forgo one of their senses through mutilation. Thanks for the idea c:

No problem. I throw out a LOT of ideas. Some good. Some bad. Some only good to certain people. If a piece of it works for you, then great. Oh, and IF a song is somehow tied to their abilities/affects AND you also want to tie them to Pazuzu..... just to throw out another idea.... somehow tying them to harpies and possibly Lamashtu (i.e. the former mate of Pazuzu). So maybe they were affected by the twisted song of a really powerful harpy who is also an archpriestess of Lamashtu, as revenge for them doing something for Pazuzu.... and they could be cured if they could find her underground cavern filled with hags and harpies.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  21:45:08  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
No problem. I throw out a LOT of ideas. Some good. Some bad. Some only good to certain people. If a piece of it works for you, then great. Oh, and IF a song is somehow tied to their abilities/affects AND you also want to tie them to Pazuzu..... just to throw out another idea.... somehow tying them to harpies and possibly Lamashtu (i.e. the former mate of Pazuzu). So maybe they were affected by the twisted song of a really powerful harpy who is also an archpriestess of Lamashtu, as revenge for them doing something for Pazuzu.... and they could be cured if they could find her underground cavern filled with hags and harpies.

Where could I find information on Lamashtu? I would love to find out more and see if I can incorporate her into the Dire Corby lore like you suggest.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2022 :  23:44:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Where could I find information on Lamashtu? I would love to find out more and see if I can incorporate her into the Dire Corby lore like you suggest.

I don't think WotC has done much with her, but Paizo has made her one of their main deities.

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Lamashtu

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  02:46:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lamashtu
Lamashtu, called She Who Erases and the Demon Queen of Monstrous Births, was a vile and hateful demon lord associated with deformities and monstrous births. She both ruled and was imprisoned in Torremor. Once, she had been the consort of Pazuzu, but she betrayed him; in retaliation, he ate out her eyes and imprisoned her in Torremor, which had orginally been his domain, impaling her on a gleaming spire in Onstrakker's Nest. Even after she assumed control of Torremor, he did not consider her a threat, instead watching with amusement as she grasped for power and influence from an Abyssal backwater. She was sometimes described as a wretched, deformed hag, though whether in reference to her appearance or personality, or both, was unknown

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_demon_lords#Lamashtu

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Pazuzu

came from fiendish codex: hordes of the abyss and the demonomicon

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page