Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Doresirrenth: the Kingdom of the Ghouls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  01:24:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know a lot of folks don't read the DM's Guild thread, so I wanted to draw attention to something George wrote (with a bit of help from me). It's a great overview of how to integrate the Kingdom of the Ghouls (of Dungeon #70 fame, and many reworkings for every edition since) into the Realms.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/409398/Doresirrenth-The-Kingdom-of-the-Ghouls

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  02:07:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, already grabbed a copy. I should have some time later tonight to actually read it.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  02:17:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded it as soon as I saw and read through the whole thing. I like!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  02:36:48  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a brief period during D&D 3.5e when setting-neutral material (monsters, mostly, but I think there were other entries) across multiple supplements was accompanied by suggestions on how to integrate these creations into either Eberron or The Forgotten Realms. I don't know if this type of up-front customization was preserved in 4e/5e, but if it wasn't...could it make a return in independently-published works (this "DM's Guild")? Does WOTC have a copyright on that format? We could expand that short list to include Greyhawk and maybe, just maybe, Dragonlance as well.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Edited by - Azar on 08 Sep 2022 04:41:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  04:07:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

There was a brief period during D&D 3.5e when setting-neutral material (monsters, mostly, but I think there were others entries) across multiple supplements was accompanied by suggestions on how to integrate these creations into either Eberron or The Forgotten Realms. I don't know if this type of up-front customization was preserved in 4e/5e, but if it wasn't...could it make a return in independently-published works (this "DM's Guild")? Does WOTC have a copyright on that format? We could expand that short list to include Greyhawk and maybe, just maybe, Dragonlance as well.

WotC is very specific about what can be included in the DM's Guild. If they've not said material can be created for a setting, then even the "Here's how to spin it for this setting" thing would be a no-go.

Not that it's relevant to the work of our esteemed Lorelords Eric Boyd and George Krashos, here. They're taking Realmslore and pulling it together and using it to support something for the Realms. A lot of what they do simply wouldn't be relevant for other settings.

That's not to say you can't have a city of ghouls in another setting -- just that they're working with material for a specific setting and you'd not have the same elements for another setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Sep 2022 04:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  04:41:14  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. I wasn't aware that the DM's Guild is an enterprise owned/regulated by Wizards of the Coast . Pay no heed to the above proposal.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1486 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  04:46:37  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always felt kind of bad for Doresain. Imagine being a civilized ghoul, ascending to divinity, and then having Captain Fuzzybritches as your boss.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  18:16:09  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really great stuff. And quite pleased to see this content placed in the not so often visited the Shining South and it's Underdark. Currently running a Shining South adventure, so this will be quite useful indeed.

Can't wait to see what you guys make next. Would be great to get more lore about the various ruins of Ilythiir.

Edited by - deserk on 08 Sep 2022 19:56:32
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  20:42:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reminded that Orcus’s main general - as I read it in the 4e Monster Manual- was a evil BBEG named Doresain, the Ghoul King. I'm not fully well versed in Orcus of other editions, but I'm assuming that he was also transferred over from them to 4e too.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doresain was first mentioned in Dragon #252 and Dungeon #70, IIRC, correctly. Further mention in Dragon #364, FC1: Hordes of the Abyss, Libris Mortis, and Monster Manual (5e).

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  22:19:49  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was everything from Dungeon #70 carried over? Presently, I collect vintage TTRPG magazines, so...it's good to know.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2445 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2022 :  23:59:45  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'm reminded that Orcus’s main general - as I read it in the 4e Monster Manual- was a evil BBEG named Doresain, the Ghoul King. I'm not fully well versed in Orcus of other editions, but I'm assuming that he was also transferred over from them to 4e too.

Doresain was Orcus' exarch in 4e. He even was a fighteable villain in one of the epic adventures, E2 Kingdom of the Ghouls. The White Kingdom (as Doresain's domain is named in 4e) was explored in said adventure, as well.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000