Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Idiot's Guide to 3E miniatures.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  09:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, forgive me if this is an utterly stoopid question, but I have not bought any miniatures since 2E rules were in force. After reading a few of the posts here I get the impression that packs are now randomized, so you don’t know exactly what figures you are getting when you buy a pack???

Ok, I am not much into card games, but I can understand the whole “rare card” pokemon phenomena, but I never expected gamers to buy into this with miniatures. I mean for the price, I would hope to see exactly what I was getting and make sure arms and weapons were not broken. Is this the norm now? Guess I have been away from the figure game too long.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  09:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite right, the packs are randomised. ...and thats the reason I wont be buying them. It would cost far too much to get a complete collection and I would also end up with loads of duplicates.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  09:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for seting me straight Lord Rad.... *sigh I must be getting too old all of my posts are starting to sound like my grandpa (dice? lead figures? hah!...back in my day we didn't have those things...so we just hit each other with sticks)

Just My Thoughts

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  16:50:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron
Ok, I am not much into card games, but I can understand the whole “rare card” pokemon phenomena, but I never expected gamers to buy into this with miniatures. I mean for the price, I would hope to see exactly what I was getting and make sure arms and weapons were not broken. Is this the norm now? Guess I have been away from the figure game too long.

I don't feel you are getting old and I concur with the sentiments you and Lord Rad expressed. There is no way I would purchase something without having a firm idea on what I'm getting. Thus, I'll enjoy looking at the images of the minatures and that's it.

Not sure if gamers are or aren't buying into this as I have no access to WOTC sales figures. However, based upon the reaction online, I'd say that the minatures, even with their random selection, are turning a nice profit for WOTC.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the main reasons for the randomized packs is that it allows shops to stock a single stock item rather than having to deal with a big inventory and trying to guess which miniatures would sell stronger.

The Wizards miniatures line is doing well enough that they're extending it to Star Wars, we know that.
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  20:22:16  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chyron,

A couple things to share. The WOTC mini's are plastic (I guess). Anyway, they are fairly flexible and it's not as likely to find broken pieces.

I think there are more gamers using them, but I don't know if it's the next trend. I still find a lot of "war-gamers" like the painting aspect of the miniatures and so aren't bying into them. While the randomness is kind of strange, cost is the winning factor for me.

For example, I bought 3 Reaver mini's this week - cost about $10.00, which I'll get to paint. The WOTC mini's come 8 to pack for $10.00 and while I can't pick and choose, chances are I am still likely to get some things I will use. (I just got the Silver Dragon which is pretty nice!) (And they are all painted.)
So for about the same price, I get more mini's to use when I DM with less work for me.

(FWIW - I like painting mini's which is why I am still an avid Reaper shopper.)

While I wish they weren't random (I don't like the whole card-like aspect), I do like the mini's and for the convenience the cost is nice.

~Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  03:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the explanation Fireheart. I did not know they were pre-painted. I was never good at painting myself and most of my lead figures are all lead gray ha ha ha.... So I can see how that is an attractive plus. I might welcome plastic minis too as cases of lead figs can be heavy to carry to session. I can see how the cost is a factor and as Faraer mentioned it is more convenient for shops to stock. But I could just see myself needing a certain fig (say an Treant or Umber hulk, etc) for a Saturday game and standing at in the shop opening the pack after I bought it....then not seeing the figure I needed having to buy another and another....

In Hong Kong collecting toys via this method is quite popular. They have these small toy machines that sell sets of figures toys for about HK$ 10 (about US 1.25) They are like gumball machines so you can't pick what you are going to get....and many people like the mystery of trying. But for serious collectors they can go to some toy shops that will sell the entire set to you. If there is a set of say 5 figures they might sell the set for HK $80 - $100 depending on the popularity. While this may seem more expensive than if you were to get all 5 figs on the first try (i.e. HK $50) that is not very likely.

So I wonder if a bit later gaming shops might be able to sell entire sets? Or maybe some dealers at conventions will do this.... Of course they seldom have CONS here in HK, guess I'll need to get to a GENCON one of these years .

Just My Thoughts

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  03:58:40  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also want to check out ebay.

Personally, I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to these new fangled gadgets. I usually simply use counters or tokens. Sometimes scraps of paper with numbers on them. Lately, I have been tempted to go buy one of those jumbo buckets of army men or cowboys and idians in order to have some three dimensional place holders for my swarms.

As a pessimistic player, I always wait a few months before I buy a lead (pewter I guess now) figure to represent my character. I figure I'll wait to make sure the campaign's a go and my character survives the first few months before investing the cash and time into painting one.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  14:12:10  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Thanks for the explanation Fireheart.
So I wonder if a bit later gaming shops might be able to sell entire sets? Or maybe some dealers at conventions will do this.... Of course they seldom have CONS here in HK, guess I'll need to get to a GENCON one of these years .

My pleasure. Sarta's suggestion is a good one...I understand ebay is a great source for these minis. I am also hearing through the grape-vine that there are dealers who are selling them by the peice - of course, you're paying a bit more that way but you can pick and choose.

~Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  16:43:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fireheart
I am also hearing through the grape-vine that there are dealers who are selling them by the peice - of course, you're paying a bit more that way but you can pick and choose.

~Fireheart

Yep, there was an online dealer that was doing that. Pricey, but hey, to each his or her own on how money is spent.
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2004 :  02:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I bought my first 4 boxes of the mini's whith the prospect of using them in a future game as visual referance and for larger scale battles. I was not upset when i found out they were plastic, I have a stack of old gray mini's with broken swords and vairous other parts. The paint job on each mini was far better than I could possibly hope to accomplish myself. I got at least 1 rare mini in each box i bought and only 2 duplcates in the 4 boxes but it did not bother me because now i have 2 golbins and 2 wizards to use in a battle if needed. I was really inpressed with the Clay Golem Figure and while looking over the check list noticed that they have a Drizzt figure as well. I will most defently continue to purchase the mini's. I find them to be a great addition to my collection of minitures that I own. Now if I did not live in such a small town than purchase of these would be 10x easier.

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2004 :  04:27:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jarren Longblade
and while looking over the check list noticed that they have a Drizzt figure as well. I will most defently continue to purchase the mini's. I find them to be a great addition to my collection of minitures that I own. Now if I did not live in such a small town than purchase of these would be 10x easier.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the miniatures. The Drizzt mini is one of those I saw being sold individually online. Big surprise there.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  01:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Jarren Longblade
and while looking over the check list noticed that they have a Drizzt figure as well. I will most defently continue to purchase the mini's. I find them to be a great addition to my collection of minitures that I own. Now if I did not live in such a small town than purchase of these would be 10x easier.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the miniatures. The Drizzt mini is one of those I saw being sold individually online. Big surprise there.

And those go for more than I'm willing to pay for any one miniature.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  02:56:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
And those go for more than I'm willing to pay for any one miniature.

More than you would pay...I'm sure many Drizzt fans did shell out the $$$ to buy him solo.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  18:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not that big a Drizzt fan. Sure I read the books (most of them) but he's not high on my list o' favs. It's a nice mini. If I get one, cool. If not... oh well....

I'd have to say that my fav of any of Salvatore's characters is Cadderly the priest. But I don't envision a mini of him anytime in the near (or far) future....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  18:33:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

I'm not that big a Drizzt fan. Sure I read the books (most of them) but he's not high on my list o' favs. It's a nice mini. If I get one, cool. If not... oh well....

Now there is someone with a very easy going attitude. Nice to see.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  21:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one knows where online to look they can find DDM singles fairly cheap. There are certain minis that are not so great in the game, that are handy as all get out in DnD. Also, some of these minis players are on these things like crack, and open several cases to get a set, leaving them with a ton of duplicates. They are often more than willing to chuck a double handful of commons for the cash to buy a couple more packs(and thus, a couple more rares).

I know I have seen Dretches, female tiefling rogue/warriors, and several others for 15 cents US apiece. Had I had the credit card then I would have bought them out to finally be able to get acrosss the horror of a demon horde to my players:

"What's in the buckt, man?"

"Oh this? Your deaths, muahahahaha!"

And remember, there are just as many, if not more, suppliers of good high quality minis with great sculpts now as there were in the good ol days. I peruse the reaper website regularly, and have recently fell in love with a pair of male and female werewolves they just released to the greens.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 28 Jun 2004 22:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  09:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me and my fiance own about 3e 2000+ DDM miniatures so I'm very thankfully that I didn't have to paint all of them. Make poor back is bad enough as it without being hunched over painting minis all day.

Lots of our minis were bought on Ebay. My fiance has actually befriended a mini supplier who gives us discounts for advertising on our website and such. However we do just buy the regular boxes of them too because sometimes surprises are exciting .

You know what gets me though . . .we have 2000+ minis worth . . .Well, I don't know, I haven't asked, I'm sure it would make my brain hurt . . .and we've not even played with them yet. They are awful pretty to look at though . . .

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  17:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fireheart

(FWIW - I like painting mini's which is why I am still an avid Reaper shopper.)

~Fireheart

I love painting! Any ideas on where I could get some non-painted minis preferably that look like they come from the realms or at least fantasy type-ish? More for collection/decoration than to play with them if that helps any

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  18:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and Fireheart what do you use for painting? I've always used brush and oil paints for painting pictures, model cars/trucks/planes, and some other odd stuff such as a set of painted monopoly pieces and some really cool painted dice . But for minis would it be better to get an airbrush set? I've been thinking of getting one anyways...

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 10 Aug 2004 18:02:30
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  20:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now, it is my opinion that Reaper produces some of the finest minis on the market. THey are reasonably priced, high quality, and have what is argubly one of the largest selections on the web. You can go Here and use one of these methods of contancting them to get a catalog(which I personally prefer over the online browsing). They are Texans,(but don't hold that against them) however they offer contacts in europe as well.

There is also the current heir to the Ral Partha collection, the number two if ever there was one. Their catalog is Here, though I have not navigated their site much, their selection of sculpts is impressive to say the least.

A new kid on the block is a great one as well, their sculpts are surpassed in beauty only by their paint jobs on their display pieces. Now, I am unable to speak the language the site is in(which I assume to be french), but if you are smarter than me, you might be able to either read it yourself, or locate an english version. THeir site is Here

There are scads of other mini manufacturers, with Games Work Shop being fairly good, their prices are high, and their sculpts fair, but they release minis in plastic, which I prefer to paint over metal.

As for painting, I have had the msot success with mini paints, and tiny brushes, and prefer the Citadel paints found at the games workshop site, personally, but have also had goood experiences with the paints reaper sells, which also cost less.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 10 Aug 2004 20:42:02
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  04:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*tips hat to Charlie*

Excellent information my friend! Thanks Capn!

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Eccerion
Acolyte

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  20:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Eccerion's Homepage Send Eccerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over the years we`ve seen TSR (now WoTC) trying to get into the mini market, but never doing very well. Soem of the reson for it is that not all gamers are good enough painters or have the time to paint and glue the minis (Im competent enough with a brush, but I simply dont have the time), this made unpainted minis less attractive for alot of gamers, pluss the minis market(at least here in Europe) pretty much belonged to Games Workshop.

I`ve found the new minis to be excellent tools for my games, chanses are good no matter what you need you`ll find a mini that fits the bill, and if you dont well just make a paper marker.
Players tend to take a step back when you place a treeant mini down thats 4 times their own minis size, letting them know just how much of a size differance they are up against
The fact that they are prepainted definetly is a big plus, as I still have old metal minis laying around I`ve had for 10+ years, and im not likely to get around to painting them any time soon
Yes the random aspect isnt what I would prefer but it does mean the stores can get large numbres of them and it does add a bit of exitement to each purchase. I only have 6 duplicates out of I dont even know how many minis, so thats not a big thing since all the minis can be usefull at some time. My group often uses creatures of big sizes to clearly show where one is, evne if the mini isnt the correct one, so a 4 square base giant spider can be any large creature, DnD is a game of imagination so its not that hard to imagine. Though it is cool to have the right mini if for no other reson than to see the players faces when you put down the fiendish T-Rex in the sealed hall and watch the blood drain from their faces
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  21:54:59  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

Right now, it is my opinion that Reaper produces some of the finest minis on the market. THey are reasonably priced, high quality, and have what is argubly one of the largest selections on the web.

::pops head up:: I'm sorry I was buried under tomes...

Ranger, I agree with the Capn. I think the majority of my miniatures come from Reaper. I think I have a few older ones from Ral Partha. I like the Reaper mini's because in addition to the variety, some of their's can be incredibly detailed. Which is fun to try and paint.

For paints - I like the warhammer ones (I think Games workshop carries) for consistency of color but I also like the Reaper paints for variety. I use acrylic paint mainly because it washes off my hands with soap and water. I tend to shop online or Hungates - our local store carries a pretty good selection of Warhammer colors.

The biggest challange I have is finding small enough brushes. Although I am finding that craft/art stores seem to be good choices there.

Hope that helps.
::buries head back under tomes::
~Fireheart

-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  22:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup that helps a lot thank you Fireheart

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, as Canyia pointed out earlier, we have an expansive collection, exceeding 2000, and still growing. If you are interested in an online dealer that has great prices, feel free to email me, my addy is in my profile. I have probably 99% of the mini's from the first 3 lines, and am awaiting some more that will most likely fill out the holes. I've not gotten any Giants of Legend yet, bills have needed paying, so I'm getting caught up before I buy anything else. There are a fair number of them that I have as many as 20+ of, such as goblins and hobgoblins, because they will fill out larger battles very nicely. Anyhow, I really enjoy them, I find the painting on the vast majority of them to be very good, and quite realistic to what you would expect of fantasy creatures. Honestly I would recommend many of them to other people who are hesitant, and if you peruse Ebay or an online dealer, often you can get exactly what you're looking for for a very reasonable price. I've actually paid as little as 10cents US for some of them, and when I got a bulk of 20, the shipping, at $5 for the lot, which also included a number of others, ended up being the more expensive part. but when one get's 100 mini's for $30-$40 plus shipping, it ends up being considerably cheaper than buying the boxes instores. Often the online dealers rely on the profits they will make off the rares, as they can cost considerably more, to make up for the cheaper prices they sell the common ones for. As such, a person can fill out a decent sized battle with low-mid level mini's for very cheap.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  16:22:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WOTC site has an interesting article detailing a magnetic arena.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000