Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Currency in Port Nyanzaru
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  16:05:27  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking into Port Nyanzaru, and a question came to mind when I looked into its colonial history. Considering Amn's policy of only allowing people affiliated with trading companies past the city walls, it's fair to assume that they also forced their own currency upon their trade colony.

After city freed itself from Amnian influence and the Merchant Princes took over however, would Port Nyanzaru continue to use the currency minted by their former colonial masters? Is there any information on Port Nyanzaru having its own minted currency in the post-colonial years?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  16:35:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that it's too small to mint its own coins, and does what most ports do: accept any coin that matches the material and size of their preferred coinage, which would likely remain Amnian for some time.

They might have money-changers for particular types of currency, but in general, I think they'd default to "it's gold, it's coin-shaped, it's good."

I think Amnian coinage would remain prevalent, given the place's history. Unless there was a strong anti-Amnian attitude in place, there's no reason to not take those coins.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Feb 2022 16:35:42
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  17:05:49  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a fair answer, though it does lead me to the question of whether or not Amn could or would retaliate against Port Nyanzaru for freeing themselves through their currency.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  20:05:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MandarinB

That's a fair answer, though it does lead me to the question of whether or not Amn could or would retaliate against Port Nyanzaru for freeing themselves through their currency.

How exactly? I often see questions like this and think people are thinking in modern terms with computerized banking, computerized tracking, etc... If they've cut ties with Amn and aren't dealing with them directly, what exactly is Amn going to do to actually impose sanctions of some sort? I don't see their government as exactly an organization with one mindset. In fact, I could see their people backstabbing each other over a gold piece.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  20:31:57  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Amn is something of a declining power at this point, having overextended themselves in Chult, Maztica, and the Moonshae Isles. I don't think the loss of Port Nyanzaru is too concerning for them considering all that they have on their plate.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2022 :  21:45:30  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 1490s, I might assume Baldur’s Gate holds stronger connection to Chult’s economy in and around Port Nyanzaru, given the interests that it has displayed in the region.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  14:33:59  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
I don't see their government as exactly an organization with one mindset. In fact, I could see their people backstabbing each other over a gold piece.

Thinking on this a bit more, you're probably right. Some Amnians might want to retaliate through a lack of trade and such, but there is no way everyone would be on board. Their might be soured relations, but no real economic retaliation.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  18:22:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I don't see their government as exactly an organization with one mindset. In fact, I could see their people backstabbing each other over a gold piece.

Thinking on this a bit more, you're probably right. Some Amnians might want to retaliate through a lack of trade and such, but there is no way everyone would be on board. Their might be soured relations, but no real economic retaliation.

Yep, a lot of people like to point out how fractious the pre civil war red wizards were and how it caused them problems.... but honestly I see MOST countries through that lens, especially ones without a king. Sadly a king DOES give a country a bit more focus on granular issues... it carries other problems mind you... but I can't see hardly any democratic or council of lords driven country being able to effectively enforce a lot of things, as they'll all have their own private interests. It's for this reason that I see there being "oops" moments in say Waterdeep where one lord actually steps on the plans of another lord, both of whom may be "spying" on an organization and not realize that the city has a person "on the inside". Kind of like how you see on a lot of cop shows where the police and the feds sometimes work against one another.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  18:56:54  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

Isn't this true for every single nation in the Forgotten Realms?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2022 :  20:44:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

Isn't this true for every single nation in the Forgotten Realms?

I would have to say that Amn is worse than most. Very likely the only reason an actual stab in the back/assassination isn't the norm is that everyone with any kind of money has already bought a "Merchant's revival pledge" (resurrection) from the Church of Waukeen. Someone offs you so you have them offed when you get back and so on and it is just a waste of good money. Besides, you don't get to see the other guy squirm after you best him if you have him killed (the pledge is just in case you encounter a barbarian who doesn't understand how the game is played).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000