Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Abyssal Children of Lolth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2022 :  14:58:53  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Spoilers ahead for the 5e adventure Out of the Abyss, as well as the Rage of Demons storyline for Adventurer's League. You have been warned.

So, in the adventure module OotA, the Underdark is thrown into an abyssal crisis after the Spider Queen manipulates Gromph Baenre into doing the 'Dark Heart Ritual'. As a result of this spell, several demon lords appear in the Underdark, with some appearing in regions like the Darklake and the Labyrinth, while Demogorgon himself appeared in Menzoberranzan. To my understanding this plot is based off the events of the book Archmage, putting the adventure's start around 1487 DR.

In the Second Act of the adventure, the party is given a chance to scry on the Demon Lords, allowing them to see the main antagonists of the adventure in different points in time. The most interesting entry is Lolth's, as it partly reveals her plan in having Gromph drag the most powerful demon lords into the Material Plane. Between this scrying entry and the Loose Threads section in the module's final chapter, it is revealed that the Spider Queen's plan was to distract all her abyssal rivals with the mortal world, giving her time to lay thousands of eggs. Her plan was to replace her rivals with a new generation of demon lords, loyal to herself.

While the module definitely expects the adventuring party to defeat the demon lords on the Material Plane before the Lolth can begin her aggressive expansion into other abyssal layers, I really want come up with some identities for these new children of the Spider Queen. I imagine the newly-hatched demons would fight one another until eight of them remained. I say eight because the demon lords officially drawn in by Gromph's ritual are eight in number (Baphomet, Demogorgon, Fraz-Urb'luu, Graz'zt, Juiblex, Orcus, Zuggtmoy), even if I have added the likes of Kostchiechie and Pazuzu to their number.

So, keeping in mind the year (1487 DR), what do you think Lolth's attempt to supplant the other demon lords looks like? Would it even have a chance of completing what she wishes?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2022 :  17:12:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MandarinB

Spoilers ahead for the 5e adventure Out of the Abyss, as well as the Rage of Demons storyline for Adventurer's League. You have been warned.

So, in the adventure module OotA, the Underdark is thrown into an abyssal crisis after the Spider Queen manipulates Gromph Baenre into doing the 'Dark Heart Ritual'. As a result of this spell, several demon lords appear in the Underdark, with some appearing in regions like the Darklake and the Labyrinth, while Demogorgon himself appeared in Menzoberranzan. To my understanding this plot is based off the events of the book Archmage, putting the adventure's start around 1487 DR.

In the Second Act of the adventure, the party is given a chance to scry on the Demon Lords, allowing them to see the main antagonists of the adventure in different points in time. The most interesting entry is Lolth's, as it partly reveals her plan in having Gromph drag the most powerful demon lords into the Material Plane. Between this scrying entry and the Loose Threads section in the module's final chapter, it is revealed that the Spider Queen's plan was to distract all her abyssal rivals with the mortal world, giving her time to lay thousands of eggs. Her plan was to replace her rivals with a new generation of demon lords, loyal to herself.

While the module definitely expects the adventuring party to defeat the demon lords on the Material Plane before the Lolth can begin her aggressive expansion into other abyssal layers, I really want come up with some identities for these new children of the Spider Queen. I imagine the newly-hatched demons would fight one another until eight of them remained. I say eight because the demon lords officially drawn in by Gromph's ritual are eight in number (Baphomet, Demogorgon, Fraz-Urb'luu, Graz'zt, Juiblex, Orcus, Zuggtmoy), even if I have added the likes of Kostchiechie and Pazuzu to their number.

So, keeping in mind the year (1487 DR), what do you think Lolth's attempt to supplant the other demon lords looks like? Would it even have a chance of completing what she wishes?

Sounds a lot like the plotline of the novel series where she supposedly broke herself into multiple aspects already.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1143 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2022 :  02:42:17  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 3.x version of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, there are some high-leveled loyal servants of Lolth from across the multiverse, not quite as powerful as demon princes/lords, but I could imagine them being delegated to take over each of the demon lords' layer of the Abyss.

A quicker, lazier method I can thinkk of creating Lolth's demonic progeny and demon lord heir is to spider-ize every demon lord (e.g., a two-headed spider, a spider-ooze, a horned spider, a shapeshifting spider, a drow seductress, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2022 :  20:16:00  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Sounds a lot like the plotline of the novel series where she supposedly broke herself into multiple aspects already.

I'd be interested in looking into that novel series, if you have the name of it. It might give me some inspiration on what to do with the would-be demon lords.

quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

In the 3.x version of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, there are some high-leveled loyal servants of Lolth from across the multiverse, not quite as powerful as demon princes/lords, but I could imagine them being delegated to take over each of the demon lords' layer of the Abyss.

A quicker, lazier method I can think of creating Lolth's demonic progeny and demon lord heir is to spider-ize every demon lord (e.g., a two-headed spider, a spider-ooze, a horned spider, a shapeshifting spider, a drow seductress, etc.)

I want to stay a away from outright making spider versions of the lords these demons are meant to replace, as I feel Lolth wouldn't care enough to make these offspring of hers resemble her enemies. Going off of the WotSQ series though, I can see the Spider Queen merging her new spawn with some powerful servants of hers- ala Danifae Yauntyrr. I'll have to look into Expedition into the Demonweb Pits, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  03:48:04  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth splitting herself into multiple avatars (that don't necessarily see eye to eye, and even might compete) does have some basis outside of WoTSQ's autocannibalism thing with her spider avatar hatchlings.

In 'Expedition to the Demonweb Pits' there are the 'aspects' (only two varieties detailed)- The 'Hammer of Lolth' and the 'Envoy of Lolth'. The Hammer of Lolth is the iconic spider+drow head combo representing a manifestation of her fury, while the Envoy is a manifestation of her trickery. There's also IIRC a Dragon Magazine article(?) on the Tests of Lolth which can culminate in a mortal becoming a divine proxy of her, sorta like Danifae.

So if you wanted, you could spin these new demon lords out of the idea that they are manifestations of different aspects of herself, since she has done much the same in the past. She's taken a number of different spider/drow hybrid forms in the past too, so you could use a few of those to physically distinguish them. OR you could use the idea that they are ascended chosen that she has merged with, use Danifae herself as a Demon Lord for example. Grab a few names of important living or dead drow that would have been high in her favor and use them as well-make an Eclavdra demon lord or something.

Just some thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  04:11:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be interested in looking into that novel series, if you have the name of it. It might give me some inspiration on what to do with the would-be demon lords.

War of the Spider Queen. It doesn't detail anything about the aspects, though. In the series, she just goes silent and splits in a bunch of unspecified spiders that eat each other offscreen. She also moves her realm away from the Abyss in the process, and has a group of priestesses travel to her realm and compete to become her face (aka being eaten and becoming her face through that).

At the end, she somehow becomes a greater deity by: 1)expending power to move her realm away from the Abyss 2)performing autocannibalism 3)losing hundreds of thousands of followers (whole cities either destroyed or lost). The story uses a cop out as an explanation: "it's chaos, duh".

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Jan 2022 04:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  05:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

War of the Spider Queen. It doesn't detail anything about the aspects, though. In the series, she just goes silent and splits in a bunch of unspecified spiders that eat each other offscreen. She also moves her realm away from the Abyss in the process, and has a group of priestesses travel to her realm and compete to become her face (aka being eaten and becoming her face through that).

At the end, she somehow becomes a greater deity by: 1)expending power to move her realm away from the Abyss 2)performing autocannibalism 3)losing hundreds of thousands of followers (whole cities either destroyed or lost). The story uses a cop out as an explanation: "it's chaos, duh".

...And this is a large part of why I can't stand that series and rarely pass up the opportunity to enumerate the reasons. (There are other reasons, but they're not relevant to this discussion)

I'd not look to the series for inspiration, even setting aside my dislike of it -- there's just not much to work with there, given the desired goal.

Me, if I was going to run with the "mah babies will beat up greater demons!" idea, I'd make those babies something unique. Maybe a cross between a glabrezu and a drider, swapping out some of the standard demon abilities for spidery versions. And give them a way to power up by cocooning and eating demons, to stick with the spider motif -- maybe they gain hit dice this way, with a chance of gaining one of the dinner's powers.

They'd have to be fast-growing, too, because I can't see those demon lords staying away from home for long, especially with the ridiculous plot of a single wizard being duped into simultaneously summoning multiple entities, each of which should be very taxing by itself. (Honestly, I think that even Gromph would struggle to summon any one of them -- you don't rise that high in the infernal hierarchy without gaining a lot of power, and that level of power should insulate them from even noticing most summoning attempts. Plus, most powerful fiends don't want to be summoned to the Prime, and will actively take steps to prevent it, like making sure their true names aren't written down anywhere.)

Unless there's something to block them (which should be beyond mortal doing, unless we're descending deep into cheese territory), then those demon lords are going to be wanting to head home as quickly as they can -- they don't like the Prime and the longer they're away from home, the more their various rivals can work against them.

Those rivals are another issue. Unless Lolth is taking them out, they're going to be doing whatever they can to take advantage of the situation -- like throwing their own rivals to the spider-babies and then killing whoever survives.

Unless Lolth's plan was to flood the planes with her babies, basically supplanting everything there, it's pretty much doomed to failure. Too much of an infernal hierarchy to ascend and too little time to do it.

Lastly, even if she could somehow pull all of this off... What would keep those new demondriders loyal to her? The idea is that they would seize the power of someone that can challenge minor deities, and yet remain loyal to her -- someone who fosters chaos, disloyalty, and backstabbing, even within families.

There is just so much wrong with the overall idea; I don't see a way to pull it off -- not as described.

If she worked on them one demon lord at a time, supplanting lesser rivals with her offspring and then letting them work their way up, it might work... Might. It'd take a long time -- millennia, maybe, and even then, it still rests in large part on someone who clawed their way to the top not noticing someone else trying to do the same. It's not something I'd bank on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jan 2022 05:37:30
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  11:56:29  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Of course you meant WotSQ- for some reason I didn't immediately associate the eight spiders as different aspects, despite already seeing what happened to Danifae as some inspiration. My bad.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Wooly Report[i]

...And this is a large part of why I can't stand that series and rarely pass up the opportunity to enumerate the reasons. (There are other reasons, but they're not relevant to this discussion)

I'd not look to the series for inspiration, even setting aside my dislike of it -- there's just not much to work with there, given the desired goal.

Me, if I was going to run with the "mah babies will beat up greater demons!" idea, I'd make those babies something unique. Maybe a cross between a glabrezu and a drider, swapping out some of the standard demon abilities for spidery versions. And give them a way to power up by cocooning and eating demons, to stick with the spider motif -- maybe they gain hit dice this way, with a chance of gaining one of the dinner's powers.

They'd have to be fast-growing, too, because I can't see those demon lords staying away from home for long, especially with the ridiculous plot of a single wizard being duped into simultaneously summoning multiple entities, each of which should be very taxing by itself. (Honestly, I think that even Gromph would struggle to summon any one of them -- you don't rise that high in the infernal hierarchy without gaining a lot of power, and that level of power should insulate them from even noticing most summoning attempts. Plus, most powerful fiends don't want to be summoned to the Prime, and will actively take steps to prevent it, like making sure their true names aren't written down anywhere.)

Unless there's something to block them (which should be beyond mortal doing, unless we're descending deep into cheese territory), then those demon lords are going to be wanting to head home as quickly as they can -- they don't like the Prime and the longer they're away from home, the more their various rivals can work against them.

Those rivals are another issue. Unless Lolth is taking them out, they're going to be doing whatever they can to take advantage of the situation -- like throwing their own rivals to the spider-babies and then killing whoever survives.

Unless Lolth's plan was to flood the planes with her babies, basically supplanting everything there, it's pretty much doomed to failure. Too much of an infernal hierarchy to ascend and too little time to do it.

Lastly, even if she could somehow pull all of this off... What would keep those new demondriders loyal to her? The idea is that they would seize the power of someone that can challenge minor deities, and yet remain loyal to her -- someone who fosters chaos, disloyalty, and backstabbing, even within families.

There is just so much wrong with the overall idea; I don't see a way to pull it off -- not as described.

If she worked on them one demon lord at a time, supplanting lesser rivals with her offspring and then letting them work their way up, it might work... Might. It'd take a long time -- millennia, maybe, and even then, it still rests in large part on someone who clawed their way to the top not noticing someone else trying to do the same. It's not something I'd bank on.

I believe the implication is that Lolth herself aided the Dark Heart ritual's casting, and it wasn't just Gromph's skill. He certainly hadn't intended to summon all those demon lords, according to the adventure. But you're right in saying that some of the demon lords would actively attempt to prevent summoning. Fraz-Urb'luu in the adventure attempts to bind himself into a gem to avoid being drawn into the Material Plane, but instead ends up being brought there inside the gem, now unable to release himself. Everyone who touches the gem is driven to believe strange lies and delusions, and there is a way for the party to free the demon lord from the gem (by accident, if they think the gem is merely cursed instead of containing the demon.)

Aside from Fraz-Urb'luu's attempt however, the remaining demon lords are characterized as wanting to make the most of the summoning, as they weren't bound to anyone's service. Baphomet and Yeenoghu (who I forgot to mention earlier), fight in a large hunt- leading minotaurs and gnolls against one another. Zuggtmoy hopes to unite subsume the will of Araumycos to turn the Northdark (and by extension the Underdark) into an extension of her layer of the abyss, while Juiblex is merely attempting to consume Araumycos to spite her. Graz'zt wants to use the Undying Temple from the City of the Spider Queen 3.X adventure as a method of tying himself to the Material Plane and remake it into a part of Azzagrat. Only Orcus and Demogorgon are given no clear goals, with Orcus being mentioned as turning an elder brain and its servants into undead while Demogorgon terrorizes the Darklake.

I say all their plans and their intent because it gives a reason for them to be distracted while Lolth makes her move. However, the party's intervention is meant to start sending those demon lords back- starting with the demon lords actively in conflict with one another (Yeenogu v. Baphomet, Juiblex v. Zuggtmoy). Lolth's attempt to replace those lords, provided the party intervenes, is doomed before it can even begin.

Of course, I also agree that even if Lolth does make some demondriders to replace the abyssal lords, even the successful ones are likely going to betray their matron. However in the example of Fraz-Urb'luu, I expect that one of those children might actually succeed.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2022 :  23:59:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've read more on Out of the Abyss than me for certain, so perhaps this won't work, BUT .... just to throw out an idea and see how it can be spun after my initial thoughts.

Yes the War of the Spider Queen novels is what I meant, and YES the ending was less than clear and had issues. However, at its core is one concept. She had an abyssal layer that she controlled. She COPIED that abyssal layer (with some changes I believe) and created a new plane. In order to do this, she seemingly had to leave that plane. What if the reason she wanted these other demon lord's planes emptied of their lords was NOT to take them over. What if she wanted to "copy" them as new layers tied to her own plane (kind of like how Asmodeus supposedly created nine hells)? Maybe its easier to "copy" a plane and make minor changes than it is to create a plane "whole cloth". Maybe she intended to put her eight aspects each in charge of one of these new planes. I know at one point in the past couple years of game time (1480 to 1485) she was also attempting to make a "demonweave" involving having drow find magic items and sacrifice them to her. Maybe this was just a shell game to cover the gathering of power to do this copying of some portions of the abyss?

That being said, how many demon lords were cast out that ruled whole layers? Some of them may have been cast out just to prevent THEM subsuming other layers in the abyss in the absence of the normal rulers of those layers.... or to give a LOT of other layers for even less powerful demon lords places to try and invade. In essence, create mass chaos so that she could copy ONE other plane. Bear in mind that her own copying of the demonweb pits took 7 months (dates gained from FR wiki entry for silence of Lolth https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Silence_of_Lolth ). Maybe even she was copying her OWN demonweb pits again (after all.... who says you can only copy something once).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MandarinB
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2022 :  23:32:36  Show Profile Send MandarinB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

You've read more on Out of the Abyss than me for certain, so perhaps this won't work, BUT .... just to throw out an idea and see how it can be spun after my initial thoughts.

Yes the War of the Spider Queen novels is what I meant, and YES the ending was less than clear and had issues. However, at its core is one concept. She had an abyssal layer that she controlled. She COPIED that abyssal layer (with some changes I believe) and created a new plane. In order to do this, she seemingly had to leave that plane. What if the reason she wanted these other demon lord's planes emptied of their lords was NOT to take them over. What if she wanted to "copy" them as new layers tied to her own plane (kind of like how Asmodeus supposedly created nine hells)? Maybe its easier to "copy" a plane and make minor changes than it is to create a plane "whole cloth". Maybe she intended to put her eight aspects each in charge of one of these new planes. I know at one point in the past couple years of game time (1480 to 1485) she was also attempting to make a "demonweave" involving having drow find magic items and sacrifice them to her. Maybe this was just a shell game to cover the gathering of power to do this copying of some portions of the abyss?

That being said, how many demon lords were cast out that ruled whole layers? Some of them may have been cast out just to prevent THEM subsuming other layers in the abyss in the absence of the normal rulers of those layers.... or to give a LOT of other layers for even less powerful demon lords places to try and invade. In essence, create mass chaos so that she could copy ONE other plane. Bear in mind that her own copying of the demonweb pits took 7 months (dates gained from FR wiki entry for silence of Lolth https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Silence_of_Lolth ). Maybe even she was copying her OWN demonweb pits again (after all.... who says you can only copy something once).

I was under the impression that after the planes were arranged into the Great Wheel Cosmology, Lolth's realm was once again in the Abyss. At least, that how I've been treating this plane in my games. However, what's you've suggested has given me a few ideas. She could be trying to link her layer to those of her rivals, trying to consolidate them like Graz'zt has done with his three. After some thinking, I believe that Lolth's little plot should partially succeed. Maybe two of her abyssal spawn manage to oust one of the missing lords. Of those two Lolth forces one to submit, while the other breaks all ties to Mother Dearest altogether- meaning they might be easily dealt with when the demon lord they ousted returns...

This thread has helped me come up with some ideas, thank you all.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2022 :  23:44:15  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given how the Abyss works as hundreds and hundreds of layers, with certainly dozens and perhaps even hundreds of the tanar’ri lords and so on in context with the Blood War, I do not see Lolth removing even all of the most powerful Demon Lords from the Abyss as anything but a catastrophically terrible idea that will miserably backfire on her when the devils take advantage to make extreme gains.

God or not, Lolth is more likely to get burned, and I would approach it from that angle. I would, for the record, also be discounting all the wacky weirdness of 4e rearranging planes. WotC appears to have also quietly swept that under the rug as well, based on how they have charted 5e so far (Feywild and shadowfell notwithstanding).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2022 :  06:08:11  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, Lolth is powerful. The problem is that there are several other deities with domains in the Abyss, and they might just get annoyed that Lolth's interfering with Abyssal politics means that the tanar'ri aren't too pleased with their deific neighbours.

Daily reminder that Chemosh, Hiddukel, Kanchelsis and Kali are all Intermediate Powers, and all of them live in the Abyss.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000