Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Trees of the Realms - Imagery
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  00:31:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Long story short.... I wanted to create some imagery of "unusual material" trees that exist in FR for the fun of making a map. So, duskwood is one, and there's an example image in volo's guide to all things magical. So, I took a couple minutes to play with blender's tree tool for the first time, then exported and painted it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5154085

From there, I was looking at the others like weirwood and shadowtop. From a "far off drawing" perspective shadowtops seem a lot like duskwoods (but tapering and standard color bark). Weirwoods, except for the leaves, sound just like any old oak. There any other trees (not small bushes) that have really caught your eyes over the years (besides blueleaf)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Dec 2021 02:27:43

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  02:27:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my interpretation of a shadowtop.... actually it did come out looking a lot different than the duskwood. kind of fun.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5154500

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  03:25:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and a D&D weirwood (not to be confused with a westeros one.... which makes me wonder who released theirs first... or is this some universal name from fairy tales?)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5154516

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  03:38:57  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to email these to my Druid player. He's going to be able to really chew the scenery when he casts Transport Via Plants next year.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  03:44:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Weir" is a proto-Germanic word, commonly used for centuries in English. It's an obsolete synonym for "fish net" or "fish trap" so "weirwood" might describe a tree with a sort of dense foliage or tangled branches which resemble a fish net?

I think it's a common feature in fantasy literature because old words sound more "authentic" and "medieval". "Weir tree" is just another flavour of "ye olde tree".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  05:44:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

and a D&D weirwood (not to be confused with a westeros one.... which makes me wonder who released theirs first... or is this some universal name from fairy tales?)

I know weirwood was in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, which released September 1996 -- but there was likely earlier references that I don't immediately know of.

A Song of Fire and Ice came out in August 1996.

I'm with Ayrik: both settings got weirwood because it's an older, real-world term.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  06:27:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon #125 - Woodlands of the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  07:20:22  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm with Ayrik: both settings got weirwood because it's an older, real-world term.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/weird
weird, wierd (obsolete)
Weird was extinct by the 16th century in English. It survived in Scots, whence Shakespeare borrowed it in naming the Weird Sisters, reintroducing it to English. The senses "abnormal", "strange" etc. arose via reinterpretation of Weird Sisters and date from after this reintroduction.

Weir(d)wood. The inspiration seems obvious to me.
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Dragon #125 - Woodlands of the Realms

September 1987, since it was one of the original Realms articles I think it's safe to say it was named and conceived before?

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 04 Dec 2021 07:22:39
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2021 :  13:33:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, thanks for the woodlands of the realms reference. Interestingly enough, that article gave less of a description (granted, the only notable add in VGtatM is the coloring of the leaves.... neither source notes the color of the bark)... now I half wonder if the westeros name wasn't inspired by Ed, since there's roughly 9 years between. I do get the "weird"="weir" reference too, which is why I was wondering... you know, I may have to ask Ed now that my curiosity is up.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000