Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unofficial Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2021 :  19:41:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Learned of an unofficial novela by Elaine Cunningham the other day thanks to a recent post.

I'm just wondering if there are any others out there, no matter how big or small, that were put out there by authors but aren't official WoTC novels.

Anyone got a list, or links to them would be most appreciated so i can complete my collection

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2021 :  21:53:56  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How would she be allowed to write such a thing? What part of the FR is Public Domain? Why wouldn't WotC shut it down immediately? Do I ask too many questions??
And how do you "one-off" this enough to make it legal? As soon as anything in the novel alludes to something demonstrably FR, it's Game Over. Please enlighten me.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2021 :  22:59:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple, she knows what she's doing. :P
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  01:11:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

How would she be allowed to write such a thing? What part of the FR is Public Domain? Why wouldn't WotC shut it down immediately? Do I ask too many questions??
And how do you "one-off" this enough to make it legal? As soon as anything in the novel alludes to something demonstrably FR, it's Game Over. Please enlighten me.

It falls under the umbrella of fanfiction, I guess. So far as she doesn't profit with it, it doesn't goes against the fan content policy of WotC.

https://company.wizards.com/es/legal/fancontentpolicy

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  02:35:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

It falls under the umbrella of fanfiction, I guess. So far as she doesn't profit with it, it doesn't goes against the fan content policy of WotC.

https://company.wizards.com/es/legal/fancontentpolicy

The money side seems to be the biggest thing -- so long as money isn't changing hands, WotC has been pretty relaxed about fan content.

Yeah, I get that it does cost money to chase down and sic lawyers on people producing fan fiction or fan art -- but there are IPs where slapping down fan material is a regular thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  07:24:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall elaine also releasing a chapter or two of a novel that was meant to be published but got cancelled. I think it was here at the keep. Of course, I could be imagining things

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  09:46:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I vaguely recall elaine also releasing a chapter or two of a novel that was meant to be published but got cancelled. I think it was here at the keep. Of course, I could be imagining things

She did, but as I recall, she also took it back down.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  11:05:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, anyone got a copy they want to share?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2021 :  13:05:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Damn, anyone got a copy they want to share?

She took it down because she decided she no longer wanted it publicly available. So long as that's the case, I'll respect her wishes and not share.

Short version, though: Azariah Craulnober was making her first trip to Evermeet, and was nearly there, when the Spellplague hit.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2021 :  14:38:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wow, it was that late (like 2008/2009ish)? I mean, obviously it was lol, but my memory of all of that makes me feel like it was earlier. So long ago, sigh.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2021 :  15:29:16  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing those few chapters. If I remember correctly there was a bit about a lythari in the Wealdath, that had me excited. Now I'm mad at myself for not saving them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000