Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Magic and Wizards in Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2021 :  22:18:44  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not familiar with what happened there, but it could have been plot-driven, or just not his specialty.

Roughly speaking, he was attempting to combine psionics and Art to achieve greater feats of magic. He was being deceived by Lolth (I think, it’s been a while) into conducting a ritual that loosed the Demon Lords on the Underdark. He was deceived through playing to his ego, because everything he was shown seemed to work, and up until a certain point was all real in terms of what melding psionics and Art could do. He then made a fatal step too far.

quote:
Gromph didn't get there by collecting cereal box tops, and he's not stayed in that position by looking pretty. He is obviously and canonically a skilled wizard, and likely has spent more time fending off rivals than any spellslinger outside of the Zhents or the Red Wizards.

To me, this suggests that while Gromph’s broader knowledge of magical theory might be suggested to be perhaps behind some, he quite probably has significant experience and talent at spell duels and defending against other wizards, more than would be expected from somebody at his “general” level. I would certainly give him decent odds against Malchor Harpell, for example, or Tabra.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2021 :  23:27:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't exactly a difference between arcane practices of the Underdark and the surface, barring specific traditions like Circle magic. Ironically, Gromph actually has higher Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft scores than Elminster.

It's not as much a practice thing, as in, there would be magics used in the Underdark that wouldn't be used on the surface. Not types of magic, but different spells and such. I'd imagine that fireball doesn't get much use in the Underdark, for example.

Of course, the flip side of that argument is that this goes both ways. A drow wizard may have a fireball-variant that does a silent concussive blast, and a surface wizard wouldn't recognize it -- but that drow wizard may not recognize a regular fireball.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2021 :  23:29:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

To me, this suggests that while Gromph’s broader knowledge of magical theory might be suggested to be perhaps behind some, he quite probably has significant experience and talent at spell duels and defending against other wizards, more than would be expected from somebody at his “general” level. I would certainly give him decent odds against Malchor Harpell, for example, or Tabra.

Exactly! Dude knows how to scrap. He may not be a talented MMA fighter, but he's not going to lose to a drunk guy in a bar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000