Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magical Furniture
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  23:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been thinking about what mundane things magic might be used for in the Realms and the idea of furniture came to mind. Would be good to have a list of ideas as dungeon dressing for a wizard's abode or just and oddity. Here are some ideas I had:

* Furniture crafted by magic in an impossible way, no joints, no nails, sort of grown or shaped furniture

* Self cleaning, no more dusting or cleaning spills, foods, paints, etc

* Self repairing, never fear a party getting out of control, dwarves show and chip the cups and crack the plates no worries

* Morphing, changes style or just folds up out of the way on command

* Floating furniture, perfect "casters" to glide on a chair or a bed that floats

* Comfort controlled furniture, a bed that is always just right, or an icebox for keeping food or serving it at the correct temperature

* Mood furniture, it could be just lighting that changes color, or music that plays

* Changing art pieces, a sculpture that slowly morphs one thing to another

* Easy Map, a single large scroll, where you are able to add maps to it and zoom in and out like a digital map, it wouldn't magically survey areas it would just reduce fumbling from one map to another easier

* Bookshelf of Research, you name a book it pushes it out an inch or two, you name a subject it pushes all books that contain that subject out

* Changing Display Case, sort of a modified bag of holding, you add a bunch of items to it and it chooses what it will show you any given day

* Games Sets, obviously you need the magical chess set that will always give you an opponent to play

Other ideas?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  23:50:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I have been thinking about what mundane things magic might be used for in the Realms and the idea of furniture came to mind. Would be good to have a list of ideas as dungeon dressing for a wizard's abode or just and oddity. Here are some ideas I had:

* Furniture crafted by magic in an impossible way, no joints, no nails, sort of grown or shaped furniture

* Self repairing, never fear a party getting out of control, dwarves show and chip the cups and crack the plates no worries

* Morphing, changes style or just folds up out of the way on command

* Floating furniture, perfect "casters" to glide on a chair or a bed that floats

* Comfort controlled furniture, a bed that is always just right, or an icebox for keeping food or serving it at the correct temperature

* Mood furniture, it could be just lighting that changes color, or music that plays

* Easy Map, a single large scroll, where you are able to add maps to it and zoom in and out like a digital map, it wouldn't magically survey areas it would just reduce fumbling from one map to another easier

* Bookshelf of Research, you name a book it pushes it out an inch or two, you name a subject it pushes all books that contain that subject out

* Changing Display Case, sort of a modified bag of holding, you add a bunch of items to it and it chooses what it will show you any given day

* Games Sets, obviously you need the magical chess set that will always give you an opponent to play

Other ideas?

Folding Closet - like a portable hole, but opens to the size of a doorway. You can fold it and bring it with you. It contains all the ball gowns, tiaras, dress shoes, colored belts, etc.... a princess on the go might need. Also contains a "shower" area in which hot water can be poured and a drainage area is then emptied by unseen servant using a bucket. Also contains a makeup table with mirror, that also an unseen servant can help with.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to populate a long-abandoned archmage's tower and wanted a lounge floor with animated objects. Now to twist these niceties into horrid curses...

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  01:25:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But where's the market for these sorts of furniture?

Common folk simply cannot afford precious magical items, no matter how "ordinary" the magical functions may be.

Affluent folk can afford (and gain some status from displaying) servants who take care of mundane maintenance tasks. They also can afford to constantly buy the latest fashions and styles (and, again, gain some status from displaying "known brands" made by famous artisans).

Wizards can, of course, cast all the requisite spells for such furnitures. Unseen servant, levitate, cleaning cantrips, polymorph, mending, colouring, sizing, hallucinatory terrain, illusions, enchantments, etc. Better yet, they can have their apprentices cast these sorts of spells for them.
I could understand wizards creating such furnitures for comfort and convenience. But not for gold and not for status. Although I imagine many special exceptions exist - stuff like royal thrones and temple furnishings. The Realms is a "high-magic high-fantasy" setting after all.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  01:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Common folk simply cannot afford precious magical items, no matter how "ordinary" the magical functions may be.

Affluent folk can afford (and gain some status from displaying) servants who take care of mundane maintenance tasks. They also can afford to constantly buy the latest fashions and styles (and, again, gain some status from displaying "known brands" made by famous artisans).

Wizards can, of course, cast all the requisite spells for such furnitures. Unseen servant, levitate, cleaning cantrips, polymorph, mending, colouring, sizing, hallucinatory terrain, illusions, enchantments, etc. Better yet, they can have their apprentices cast these sorts of spells for them.
I could understand wizards creating such furnitures for comfort and convenience. But not for gold and not for status. Although I imagine many special exceptions exist - stuff like royal thrones and temple furnishings. The Realms is a "high-magic high-fantasy" setting after all.

I can see wizards making some of this stuff for their own convenience.

I can also see the very wealthy commissioning a magical recliner or bed for themselves.

One other thing that occurred to me, once, whilst reading Harry Potter... They use magic so readily, in those books; one particular scene has Molly Weasley just waving her wand and making some knives automatically cut and peel potatoes. And that was when it hit me: with everything else in the setting that could be magical, there had to be magical "marital aids".

So I could also see such things existing in the Realms, though again, it'd be only for wizards themselves or the very wealthy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  03:02:51  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course a cabinet of feasting when hosting a party or conference.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  15:01:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can see wizards making some of this stuff for their own convenience.

I can also see the very wealthy commissioning a magical recliner or bed for themselves.

One other thing that occurred to me, once, whilst reading Harry Potter... They use magic so readily, in those books; one particular scene has Molly Weasley just waving her wand and making some knives automatically cut and peel potatoes. And that was when it hit me: with everything else in the setting that could be magical, there had to be magical "marital aids".

So I could also see such things existing in the Realms, though again, it'd be only for wizards themselves or the very wealthy.

Just one thing to consider with this... part of the mass "growth of use" of marital aids is probably BECAUSE you can get them clandestinely. I know the realms isn't as prudish as our Christian world, but I'd imagine its still a touchy subject that people wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable going to their personal house wizard to have such items made. As a result, I'd bet that this is a "black market" acquired item, and probably acquired through intermediaries who meet with the end person while they themselves are under something like alter self or disguise self.

Also, in another topic I had noted that "rubber" is something we don't really see readily mentioned in the realms. Never occurred to me until you brought this up, but.... rubber sales might be tied into this (not necessarily as condoms, which MIGHT be hard to make... dunno... thinking more rubber coating relatively hard objects to make them "softer").

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  15:13:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see different attitudes towards household magic depending on the social circles the individual moves in. I can see "the poors" wanting it because they think it will make life easier for them and give them some status. I can see the "nouveau riche" using it to show that they are now rich and important people. And then there is the old money who would distain it in general because "I can afford to hire someone to do something unlike some people". They would have mundane items created by well-known master craftsman.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  16:57:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rich in Calimshan would likely buy these items as the source material for that region states that many collect magic items as a sign of status.

@Sleyvas: 'condoms' have been used for thousands of years. Animal bladders and intestinal linings were used during the Bronze Age.

I think Ayrik and Iriaeban are closest to the mark in what attitudes would prevail in the wider Realms.

As for other ideas:

1) Mirrors or gems that record what goes on within their view
2) Light sources that automatically turn on/off when someone enters a room (and that can be turned off/on with a simple command word)
3) Floating platters for serving food
4) Wardrobes that fold or hang whatever is thrown in them
5) Tubs that always have clean water in them that can be adjusted (temperature-wise) for personal preference - once you exit, all filth is automatically purged
6) Similar to the floating platter, plates/bowls etc that keep food fresh and warm (or chilled as the case may be) no matter how long it sits out

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  21:20:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

@Sleyvas: 'condoms' have been used for thousands of years. Animal bladders and intestinal linings were used during the Bronze Age.

Yeah, my thoughts were around using rubber itself, and those things you mention are naturally thin..... I just don't know with the "tech" level of Faerun just how "thin" they can get Rubber to be and still be viable (not just ripping to shreds). I could though see it being used as maybe a half inch coating on carved bone/marble, etc... though

I do have to say, over the last 2 months, I find myself thinking about the weirdest topics (sewerage in waterdeep, sewerage in a flying city, the uses of this "newly discovered material" rubber for marital aids rather than the typical "coated wagon wheels").

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  21:30:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the topic at hand....

Not really "furniture" but
The Rope of Tricks - basically a rope that can cast rope trick X times a day.

Then to take the same concept and twist it a bit
The Portable Bathroom - take that same rope trick idea, but have it create an extradimensional space that when its destroyed dumps to "somewhere else" (astral, ethereal, elemental planes, etc...) kind of as if the extradimensional space had been destroyed by introducing another extradimensional space but you don't see it from the prime (or like the opening gets shifted somewhere else and then it expires). Go in there, do your business in safety and privacy, leave

And yep, now I'm thinking about adventurers dealing with excrement again....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  21:35:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed, there are lots of different plants that can be used as contraceptives (So Sayeth Ed 2010-2016 page 475). For venereal disease prevention, I don't remember reading anything about that but a cure disease isn't completely out of bounds for most people. Of course, they COULD catch it again. A heal can cure disease also and given the power of the spell, it may grant permanent immunity to the given (natural) disease.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  22:00:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruins of Greyhawk - the archmage Zagyg's home - used Spheres of Annihilation to dispose of wastes. All sorts of wastes - from the privy to the kitchen to household servants and inconvenient pests.

I imagine that (Zagyg's) Talisman of the Sphere could have special hidden functions which only become evident within his home.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  22:21:59  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see a wizard's home having a bunch of these:

Cubbyhole
(Alteration)
Level: 2
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 2 turns/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None
When this spell is cast, the caster can reach out and touch a non-horizontal surface and create an extradimensional space linked to that location. If that surface is moved or destroyed while the spell is in effect, the extradimensional space is unaffected and the entrance remains exactly where it was when the spell was cast.

Only the spellcaster and up to 3 other individuals named during the casting of the spell can access the space. Non-living items can be inserted and removed as many times as desired for the duration of the spell. The weight of the items is of no concern and the maximum volume of items it can contain is equal to a chest of 3 feet by 3 feet by 5 feet in size. Liquids and gasses cannot enter or exit the space unless they are inside a container. To retrieve an item, the user need only think of the space while reaching towards it. This will cause it to open like a normal cabinet.

Spells cannot be cast across the interdimensional interface, nor can area effects cross it. Items in the extradimensional space cannot be detected and are safe from anything that happens outside of the space. Items in the extradimensional space must be removed prior to the end of the spell, or they are dropped from the height at which they entered the extradimensional space.

Note that creating or taking extradimensional spaces into an existing extradimensional space is hazardous. The spell is ineffective in any locale where extradimensional spaces are inaccessible, such as the Astral Plane.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2021 :  23:42:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what.... all this talk of furniture and magic and extradimensional spaces..... it makes me think that in 5e specifically, I could see bags of holding in use by moving companies. They are in the price range of 100 to 500 gold and would very much speed up moving things. Granted it won't help with bigger furniture, but you could load an entire dresser into one that might be filled with clothes, etc.... The money up front might be a lot mind you. Then again, just like there's equipment rental places in our world that let you rent things, there might be magic shops that rent out relatively cheap magic items like this to people that have earned their trust. If it saves them an hour worth of work and they pay a silver to rent it, and they rent it out once a day, in a year they'd make 36 gold. Things like this might even be rented by the hour (say a silver for every 2 hours, and they might be rented out 2 or 3 times a day). Uncommon magic items are so cheap that there might be a lot of similar things like this that might be rented out for various purposes (for instance, a broom of flying is uncommon... so is a cap of water breathing... so is a decanter of endless water... so are goggles of night... so is an immovable rod.. pipes of the sewers ... ring of jumping .. ring of mind shielding... ring of water walking .... rope of climbing ... slippers of spider climbing... winged boots). Some guilds might own some of these items and rent them out to trusted members, etc... and gaining access to them might be a reason for someone to pay guild dues.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  19:31:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate moving. All those extradimensional moving and storage fees, all that teleporting back-and-forth back-and-forth, the magical packing and unpacking, labelling everything with truenames, summoned minions who (no matter how careful or careless they might be) still end up tearing your books and scrolls, breaking your vials and wands, scuffing up the walls and floors (and ceilings) with every petrified statue they haul around. You just know you're gonna have to replace a few braziers and crystal balls every time, you're gonna lose at least one unique treasure. And then there's always the stuff you just can't take with you - your secret passages, your permanently-etched summoning circles, etc - which you'll have to live without until you renovate. While at the same time, you've gotta live with whatever junk the previous occupant left behind, his gelatinous cubes and useless libraries about dark herbal poetry or whatever. And then you've gotta meet your new neighbours - the creepy old cultists, the arrogant young dragon, the partying storm giants, the screaming little packs of school pixies - you never really know what the neighbourhood is like until you've been there a little while.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Oct 2021 19:40:10
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  20:54:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I originally misread that spell as chubbyhole

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  21:05:51  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I originally misread that spell as chubbyhole

Well, fine. Should I post that spell here or in the magic shop?

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  00:37:36  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the common, middle class and rich folk in the Realms can afford weak magic items. It's impossible to say the Realms is over flowing with spellcasters....and then say not ONE of them EVER has made a couple cantrip level items to sell.

so, I only know the 1/2/3 E Realms and no wacky 5E stuff.....so:

As most sources will tell you a typical town has at least 10 spellcasters, and a typical city at least 25....at a bare minimum. But it only takes 1st level to make zero level items, so it's safe to say at least everywhere has five such spellcasters. They don't slay dragons or blow up the moon....they can cast four zero level spells a day...and a first level spell too.

And the Realms are full of super magic people heavy places.....Evermeet, Thay, Cromyr and so on.

To create a 3/day cantrip item is something like 100 gold and takes a day. And if it's Furniture you even get a 50% discount. So this makes the Everfull Mug of Water (create water 3/d) super cheap. So would a Box of Cleaning (clean prestidigitation 3/d).

And SO many things are life and death.....a Cool Box to keep things cool is a life saver, really so is the box of clean. For less then 1000 gold, they are must haves for anyone not poor.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Back to the topic at hand....

Then to take the same concept and twist it a bit
The Portable Bathroom - take that same rope trick idea, but have it create an extradimensional space that when its destroyed dumps to "somewhere else" (astral, ethereal, elemental planes, etc...) kind of as if the extradimensional space had been destroyed by introducing another extradimensional space but you don't see it from the prime (or like the opening gets shifted somewhere else and then it expires). Go in there, do your business in safety and privacy, leave

And yep, now I'm thinking about adventurers dealing with excrement again....

One wizard in an FR campaign I DM'ed in 1997 created a portable jakes cantrip which teleports the caster's waste from within her or his body to some randomly distant place. It removes the need to drop one's clouts. I made an entry for portable jakes in the Magic Shoppe scroll. Keep in mind this spell is not something you can weaponize. Perhaps a higher level version of this spell could be used to construct your Portable Bathroom.

Sleyvas is not the only person who deals with scatology in the realms.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2021 :  10:40:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Elves do this sort of thing, though plant based architecture is more well known.
Ed even had one of these spells statted and published (Train Vegetation from Elven Imperial Fleet, in "Cult of the Dragon").
quote:

I have seen it somewhere... almost sure.
quote:

Exists, if mostly among the drow (cheapskate quasimagic, yes).
quote:

Iceboxes were used by Netherese (presumably Halruaa kept this), and IIRC the drow.
quote:

I have seen it somewhere... almost sure.
quote:

Magical maps are a thing. Map of Mapping along with several others was in Dragon #125 ("Bazaar of the Bizarre", by Lee Ian Wurn).

quote:

At this point it's simpler to... summon someone who can play.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Folding Closet - like a portable hole, but opens to the size of a doorway. You can fold it and bring it with you. It contains all the ball gowns, tiaras, dress shoes, colored belts, etc.... a princess on the go might need. Also contains a "shower" area in which hot water can be poured and a drainage area is then emptied by unseen servant using a bucket. Also contains a makeup table with mirror, that also an unseen servant can help with.

Just install good old Hold of Holding on an inside wall of some custom carriage, fill with whatever. The smallest (10x10x10 ft) version is 50k GP, so it's affordable for the sort of people who finished upgrading their castle generations ago and look for luxuries.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One other thing that occurred to me, once, whilst reading Harry Potter... [...] with everything else in the setting that could be magical, there had to be magical "marital aids".

See also: the most infamous Harry Potter merchandise?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  01:04:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hate moving. All those extradimensional moving and storage fees, all that teleporting back-and-forth back-and-forth, the magical packing and unpacking, labelling everything with truenames, summoned minions who (no matter how careful or careless they might be) still end up tearing your books and scrolls, breaking your vials and wands, scuffing up the walls and floors (and ceilings) with every petrified statue they haul around. You just know you're gonna have to replace a few braziers and crystal balls every time, you're gonna lose at least one unique treasure. And then there's always the stuff you just can't take with you - your secret passages, your permanently-etched summoning circles, etc - which you'll have to live without until you renovate. While at the same time, you've gotta live with whatever junk the previous occupant left behind, his gelatinous cubes and useless libraries about dark herbal poetry or whatever. And then you've gotta meet your new neighbours - the creepy old cultists, the arrogant young dragon, the partying storm giants, the screaming little packs of school pixies - you never really know what the neighbourhood is like until you've been there a little while.

Lol, well done good sir, well done.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000