Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Mincs and Boo book of villains
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  06:28:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/365114q

I haven't get it yet, tho I know what they did to poor Aribeth de Tylmarande.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Oct 2021 06:49:34

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  10:05:39  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/365114q

I haven't get it yet, tho I know what they did to poor Aribeth de Tylmarande.

What did they do to Lady Aribeth? Anything else beside her story arc wrapped up in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  12:30:44  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Her backstory is the same down to the moment of her initial death in the game. After that she's become a willing avatar of Mephistopheles, raised into undeath to wreak havoc upon those who wronged her. She is almost entirely devoid of compassion or remorse, relying on chance to determine whose souls are drawn into her evil blade.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 07 Oct 2021 12:37:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  13:48:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$14.95 .... pass. If they wanted something to raise money for charity, they really should learn that going cheaper on something that's essentially free to distribute gets more buyers (essentially, they're donating their time, we're donating the money... they've already spent the time, so they should focus on maximizing the money and making people feel like they "got a deal AND donated").

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  17:02:54  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Her backstory is the same down to the moment of her initial death in the game. After that she's become a willing avatar of Mephistopheles, raised into undeath to wreak havoc upon those who wronged her. She is almost entirely devoid of compassion or remorse, relying on chance to determine whose souls are drawn into her evil blade.

Aw f**k.

At some point in CRPG history the "good endings" were considered somewhat canonical, what happened to that?

Why was her redemption arc thrown into the bin? Are they going around all different media and rewriting every single instance of a random NPC going for redemption?

They did this with Jander and did something similar to Ashemmi and/or Sememmon, can't remember right now ...
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  18:20:00  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I have this and spent a bit of today glancing through it. Summary follows.

Authors

James Ohlen is the lead, and he was a writer for Black Isle/BioWare back in the days before BioWare was gutted and ruined by EA. Additional design from Knowles, Drew Karpyshyn, and several others.

I do like Ohlen at least from the lone other product of his that I have: Heroes of Baldur's Gate, which takes the Baldur's Gate of the game series and basically sets an adventure in it that includes the various characters from the game, while also including a large chunk of lore very suitable to a campaign set there.

Art

Generally speaking it's very beautiful, or photo-realistic adaptions of the characters from their artwork of the day into more 3D designs now. I did notice a couple of images that looked a bit wrong; namely Athkatla is suspiciously similar-looking to Florence from when I was spending time in the latter several years ago.

Content

Several main "sections" I think. There is a lot of stuff in here.

Section 1 is Hometowns (Athkatla, Baldur's Gate, Suldanesselar, Ust Natha). Section 2 is Group Patrons, various organisations that a player or players could join and subsequently get stuff from via contacts, get quests to go on, and so on and so forth. Section 3 is Campaign Villains, the Big Bads. Sections 4 and 5 are Henchmen and Monsters, respectively, but could easily be subbed into stuff that mixes with the campaign villains and group patrons.

So, Section 1.

Four pages per city. They're basically given as the starting points for campaigns, or as locations for adventurers to spend gold that they accumulate. Or as lairs for a campaign villain. Not a vast amount of detail here that wouldn't already be known to somebody picking the book up. If you have played the BG games or have older 2e sources, you will definitely know more than what the book tells you. I was a bit disappointed by this part.

For example, Athkatla has the following "stuff" detailed for it:

Population (122k), government, defense, commerce types, organisations, and main religions. Brief intro paragraph. A little bit on culture, the measurement of status by material wealth, and the ranks of status correlated to precious metals that already existed.

It has a bit on history, but no extensive timeline. Just the major dates: founded circa 100 DR by Calishite immigrants loyal to Shoon Imperium, became independent in 460 DR when the empire fell, seven centuries of prosperity and peace, 1238 DR trade wars, 1333 all trade halted, Thayze Selemchant forms the Council of Six government. Trade resumes, and Athkatla becomes the busiest trade port around.

Laws has two paragraphs, and a note on arcane magic being a crime in the city. Cowled Wizards are included with a note that they started as guardians of arcane knowledge and lore, but years of monitoring and control of foreign mages transformed the organisation into an autocratic force with authority over magic in the city. This happened in the 13th century DR, when a man called Dhanar granted them oversight and made them legal and public.

Shadow Thieves are included as well, originally forced to flee Waterdeep when Lhestyn Arunsun came to power in 1298 and campaigned to purge them from the city. They are led by an 8-person Shadow Council, whose leader is a member of one of the Houses on the Council of Six.

Other than that, it has a random encounter table for Athkatla, some bazaars/fences/shops with tables of stuff to buy, and that's it.

The other cities are much the same in terms of length and detail. This book does, from what I read of the Baldur's Gate section, seem to be set post-Descent Into Avernus, as it notes that Ulder Ravenguard is back and around but the Vanthampur family recently lost their Grand Duke position because they were devil worshippers. The map of Baldur's Gate is the same as the one in Heroes of Baldur's Gate.

Suldanessellar is very small for a city. All that remains of the elven kingdom of Keltormir, and is basically dualled with an evil reflection of the city in the Shadowfell that is ruled by Jon Irenicus and Bodhi. The real city is tormented by the existence of the Shadowfell reflection, because sometimes there are elves trapped in the reflection and because of its magic whenever they go into their Reverie they can communicate with the trapped ones, or vice versa. Makes for a lot of misery.

Ust Natha is much as it was from Baldur's Gate 2 (the game). Phaere rules it, and she has opened it in limited fashion to surface organisations because of the wealth they can offer. So there are Zhentarim and Shadow Thieves bases there, as well as some other Underdark envoys. It is becoming (or has become) a major trading hub. One thing I did like, although it was perhaps me just rebounding from the irritation that is Salvatore's ignoring the Crown Wars in the Descent and so on, is that the section does discuss how Ust Natha has historical significance because it's close to the surface caves where the Ilythiiri were forced to retreat after losing the fourth Crown War. May or may not be true, but at least this book acknowledges the events, unlike Salvatore.

Oh, and there's a nest of phaerimm several miles underneath Ust Natha.

Now, Section 2.

Group patrons. It's similar to what's in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, but with a bit more expansion. There are ten group patrons provided, each of which includes 2 characters as contacts for players (detailed with a NPC statblock, a couple paragraphs of history, things they can provide as a contact, and a full page image of them for art). If you aren't using the group as a patron, you can also use it as a villain.

Patrons are:

- Adventurer's Guild: exactly what it says on the tin. Some things on what operatives might be like (cartographer, zoologist, historian, faceman). Some sample quests (e.g. "Archaeologists: You track down ancient treasures of historical significance and bring them back to museums" or in my view Be Indiana Jones: The Club), and sample perks.
--- Contacts: Cornelius Watson & Flimp Shagglecran.
- Candlekeep: it's Candlekeep. Perks include envoy status and the ability to research arcane secrets to make your own magic items.
--- Contacts: Valygar Corthala & Xan Moonblade. Valygar has been drinking potions of longevity to remain alive into the 5e era.
- Church of Sune: what you'd think it is, it's membership in the church. Operatives might be Heartwarders, Sisters/Brothers of the Ruby Rose, the Order of Adon, Eyes of Evening ("an order inspired by the demigoddess of hedonism, Sharess, a divine servant of Sune also known as the mother of cats and worshipped by the tabaxi"). Interestingly, one of the required religious services a player might have to perform for the Church includes "seduce an important noble's daughter or son"; which may or may not be exactly according to alignment.
--- Contacts: Naes Inuus & Tiberius Inuus. They're from Waterdeep, born to one of the nobles there but the noble abandoned the twins when the mother died in childbirth and the children were taken in by the church. Naes is the highest authority of Sune's faith on Faerun. Tiberius is head of the Ruby Rose, the paladins who serve Sune.
- Emerald Enclave: It's the Emerald Enclave, from Adventurer's League. Fun fact, they have access to secret trails that can take users to wild lands in the other planes or other worlds; a tree root path might lead the walker to the Gates of the Moon on Ysgard. Or a more normal thing like the unicorn run to the Star Mounts or Grandfather Tree in High Forest, or a mythal path to Myth Rynn or Myth Drannor, or a folk path to Llyrath forest in the Moonshaes.
--- Contacts: Kivan & Faldorn. Yes, that Faldorn. The Neutral Evil Shadow Druid. Emerald Enclave aren't goody-two-shoes. Kivan and Faldorn don't like each other. Also, Kivan is married to Cernd.
- Flaming Fist: From Baldur's Gate. Perks are getting salaries or land and other military things.
--- Contacts: Nauk the Bag Man & Borivik Windheim (originally from Oerth).
- Harpers: You know who these guys are and what they do.
--- Contacts: Jaheira & Vellin Farstride (originally from Oerth). Very Interesting Note is that Jaheira's perk is she can put players in contact with a Harper ally who can help you in a time of need. Some of these allies are named... Arilyn Moonblade (uses the assassin statblock), Alustriel Silverhand, Elminster Aumar, or Laeral Silverhand.
- Knights of Bahamut: These feel like something new. So they are an ancient order founded with Bahamut's assistance, famed for being knights who rode around on dragonback. They were also short lived and lasted only a few decades before they were exterminated by their enemies. That happened in 250 DR. Any players who join this group will be re-founding it with the lone survivor, Suldil Baldoriel, who was trapped in the Feywild and didn't age until she got free and wanted to refound them, with players as candidates. The perk is you can eventually bond your own dragon mount.
--- Contacts: Suldil Baldoriel & Minsc (and Boo!). Minsc basically ran across Suldil and decided to help her because she seemed in need of helping, and they had both lost centuries of their lives to magic.
- Order of Icarus: Do you want to work for Jon Irenicus? Now you can work for Jon Irenicus.
--- Contacts: Irenicus and Bodhi. Irenicus can also provide the player with a ritual to become a lich, which is detailed in the book.
- Raven Circle: Raven Queen stuff.
--- Contacts: Lothar of the Raven & Viktor Kuhn (native to Barovia).
- Shadow Thieves: The ones from Amn.
--- Contacts: Montaron and the Laughing Skull (i.e. Xzar, who is now a demilich) & Imoen (now with the appellation "the Godspawn").

Whew, that was a lot. Okay, Section 3.

Campaign villains. It's mainly just a bunch of entries like you would find in the Monster Manual. It includes some details on each of them and history, then goes into Lair Actions and Regional Effects, if any. Options are: Baalzebul the Archdevil, Bhaal, Cryonax the Prince of Elemental Ice, Mephistopheles the Archdevil, Pazuzu, and Ssendam the Slaad Lord.

Section 4 is the Henchmen of the bigger villains. They could also be used as unusual allies or monsters in a side adventure. I won't detail all of them, just the ones that stood out for whatever reason.

There is, of course, poor Aribeth, now in service to Mephistopheles. But with a note that there is a vestige of kindness and compassion left within her, which Mephy is attempting to corrupt (but has not yet).

Edwin Odesseiron. He has recently taken over Ramazith's Tower in Baldur's Gate and murdered the previous owner, Lorroakan (he's pretending to be Lorroakan via magic). It's an interesting way to go, and I do wonder if either the upcoming BG3 game or anything subsequent to the BG gazetteer (which mentions Lorroakan being the inhabitant of the tower) or the like will incorporate it. I suppose it depends on whether this publication is solely a 3rd party, or if WotC is giving it the canon stamp. Oh, and Edwin also delivered one of the Nether Scrolls (!) to Szass Tam (!!!) in order to escape the wrath of Thay.

Kagain the Scream Hunter. Infamous dwarf mercenary, takes on unscrupulous contracts, and is based in Baldur's Gate. Kagain has also become a follower of Bhaal, who attacked him in the Gate one night and spared Kagain on the grounds that Kagain now kill for Bhaal.

Pelyious Avhoste is a Halruaan sky captain. Skilled captain, excellent swordsman, he's a were-crocodile and his crew are actually wolfweres. He is another new follower of Bhaal (seriously, a lot of this book definitely seems to be stuff that would tie in to Bhaal, or provides consistent threads of Bhaal running through it).

Saemon Havarian, the traitorous bastard who I have still not forgiven even decades on from playing Baldur's Gate 2, is a member of the Council of Six in Athkatla.

Sarevok Anchev fell far from the end of Baldur's Gate 2, and the power he accumulated as a mercenary did nothing for him. He squandered it all in vice, but his slowed aging from divine heritage reduced him to an old man begging in the streets of the Gate. Where Bhaal found him and offered him a second chance if Sarevok became a high priest of his fledgling clergy. He accepted.

Section 5 is the monsters.

Achaierai, Bebilith (skip this one if you're arachnophobic), Demodand, Dread Doppelgangers, Gibberlings, Hamadryads, Sirenes, Phaerimm (I really like the art for this one), Skeleton Lord & Skeleton Warrior, Sword Spider (skip this one if you're arachnophobic), Tasloi, Wolfwere.

Conclusions

There's a lot of stuff here. Really, a lot of stuff. Most of it is focused towards a DM designing a campaign, rather than pure lore. Most of the lore that is included seems to be drawn from canon sources, though with several things where they've taken it in directions I didn't expect they would. I can't quite tell if it's intended to solely be a 3rd party thing with nods to "canon lore" or is intended to expand and provide more canon lore.

Is it worth the $15 price tag? I honestly can't say. I've never been particularly great at judging that sort of thing. For my part I think that there is a decent amount of stuff in here that would be extremely useful for a DM who wants to use Baldur's Gate, Athkatla, and Bhaal as threads running through a campaign, with accompanying statblocks and monsters to match. Not to mention players might be greatly interested in joining some of the organisations presented here. If you're solely in it for expansion of lore on particular areas and other world-building details, then I think look elsewhere.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 07 Oct 2021 18:24:15
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  19:25:50  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds very interesting. A bit odd that so many characters being brought back from the older games though, esp ones that should be unambiguously dead-dead. eg Monty and Xzar. A *lot* of human characters seem to have somehow found ways to survive the intervening years and its really surprising that a number of antagonists from the first two games found a way to come back-not really a fan of Irenicus, Bodhi, and Sarevok still being around. Faldorn and Phaere's chances of survival seem pretty slim too. Aribeth continuing to find new ways to squeeze out a little bit more tragedy is kinda a bit humorous though.

Edwin masquerading as Lorroakan could be a bit important though. Baldur's Gate III has some pretty heavy hints that the players will be meeting Lorroakan at some point. Whether or nor Edwin=Lorroakan in the game could be a pretty big indicator on just how 'canon' this supplement is.

Looks interesting, might have to pick it up and take a look for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  00:25:37  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sarevok having slowed aging from his divine heritage isn’t that unusual, since Abdul Adrian in Murder in Baldur’s Gate was said to have slowed aging for the same reason. So I can understand him still being alive, as well as Imoen. Irenicus is an undead (lich), while Bodhi seems to have been resurrected by the Dark Powers of the Demiplane of Dread. Both of those are a stretch. Phaere and Faldorn are definitely a stretch.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  10:06:12  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm, ok chuck Lady Aribeth to the side (sorry!), if the stuff on the people of BG and BG2 is worthy I might get this book and try to use it in another time frame (where the survival of some NPCs is more believable).

Why is it called "book of villains" if it's basically a general sourcebook on a few cities?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  11:15:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But is it canon?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  11:39:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Why is it called "book of villains" if it's basically a general sourcebook on a few cities?

They were just following WotC's current naming scheme: <Famous NPC>'s <Book Synonym> of <Things A DM Would Be Interested In>.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  12:08:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

But is it canon?

-- George Krashos

I don't think canonicity matters for them anymore. But it is a WotC official publication, I guess that makes it 5e canon.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  13:40:15  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn me for getting excited about a product, it got taken off the (virtual) shelves. Anyone know the reasons?

Also at least one review has me very concerned at what they did (in detail) to the NPCs from the BG games. I'm quite confused right now.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  14:21:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But is it canon?

-- George Krashos

I don't think canonicity matters for them anymore. But it is a WotC official publication, I guess that makes it 5e canon.

Does canonicity matter for any of us anymore. Although I suspect George was joking somewhat. WoTC have achieved what they intended 10 years ago, they have destroyed the idea of canon, an unintended side effect is that many of us now consider their work as trivial and unimportant to the canvas that is the Forgotten Realms.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  15:07:14  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

The cities take up perhaps four pages per city, maybe three and change. The majority of the book is the organisations, henchmen, and campaign villains. Many of whom may be involved with those cities, yes, but the focus is still on them.

quote:

It's an interesting enough question, joke or no. I used "canon" in my summary in the intent of "is this considered by WotC to be an official statement on what has happened in these cities over the past century in the Forgotten Realms" (or "is this considered by WotC to be just as true as the lore in Tome of Foes or SCAG or whatever" for another way of phrasing it). Which is why the Edwin/Lorroakan material in there was of particular interest to me; Lorroakan will almost certainly appear in BG3, so if he's actually Edwin then I guess I'll get an answer.

I really, really love some of the art though. The phaerimm picture strikes just the right tone of horror for me. The 2E and 3E artwork for it never sold me on them as anything more than actually kind of comical or funny in a weird way, but this one was genuinely good.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  16:40:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Drew Karpyshyn did a lot of the Knights of the Old Republic and Darth Bane stuff. No wonder we have a dark side turn lol.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  16:41:55  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But is it canon?

-- George Krashos

That's a harder question to answer than one might think. I think it's '5e canon' but there's some stuff in it that's contradicted by the Early Access version of BGIII. I mentioned Faldron briefly and she's an example-she's an undercover Shadow Druid here in M&B, but you can meet some Shadow Druid disciples of hers in the game, and my impression was that she was neither undercover, nor alive. Jaheria is also mentioned as never remarrying or finding love again after her husband's death, but from what I have heard some datamined stuff from the game supposedly contradicts this.

I think it might be possible that the author of M&B might have been working off of an earlier version of what Larian Studios is operating with, because on the other hand, there is some stuff in here which lines up rather eerily with stuff from the game-specifically the business with the Red Wizard Edwin, the mage Lorroakan, and a certain Iron Flask. That sounds way too similar to me to be just a coincidence.

I heard that it got pulled? It could be for any number of reasons. Apparently it has a lot of typos and things that an editor should have caught, but maybe the content relating to the upcoming game?

Anyways, I did manage to get a copy before it got removed, and I have pretty mixed feelings. The sort of content is something that's sorely lacking in a lot of 5e stuff.

It's more the specific lore changes and retcons that are a bit much for me. A lot of them seems so wacky and random it feels like they were made by throwing a dart at a board, particularly in regards to the video game characters.

Anyways, a few other items of interest (spoilers):
    Retrievers have a definite origin now, they were created by the drow out of Bebiliths. I don't think this has ever been suggested before as an origin, so that's pretty new

Hamadryads are now what happens when a Dryad loses their tree to evil magic, they become deformed and warped, like knotted roots. Again, pretty different from their previous version

Phaere is Matron of House Despana in Ust Natha, and her brother Malavon is head wizard and has joined her after being kicked out of Rilauven. Pretty eyebrow-raising for anyone who's played the games since you would have to play very carefully and with foreknowledge to leave the underdark with Phaere alive at all, and Malavon took control of Rilauven in a Vhaerunite coup, so him going home to sleep on his sister's couch is an odd development.

Crown wars are canon again? They are mentioned in the Ust Natha entry, which is appropriate because of the City's history

Sarevok, the big bad guy from the first BG game, and a potential party member in the second game, is back and is working for Bhaal.

Saemon Havarian is on the Council of Six but sold his soul to Baalzebul who wants political influence in Amn.[*/]

Edited by - TKU on 08 Oct 2021 16:49:35
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  22:00:52  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still available at DM's Guild, as far as I know.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  22:16:06  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's still available at DM's Guild, as far as I know.

It was gone for a while (reddit thread), now it's back. Maybe it's a normal thing for DM's Guild products?

I still don't get the "journal of villainy" thing, considering all the organisations, patrons, goons, monsters and npcs presented seem to be of all alignments and the thing they have in common is that they act in the cities (well, more wider regions around the cities) presented in the same book. But maybe it's just me.
Go to Top of Page

Arannis
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2022 :  03:33:44  Show Profile Send Arannis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the physical book and I love it. There are a few things I don't agree with, like Imoen not being a mage and I don't see Cernd and Kivan as a couple, but otherwise I really like it, even Aribeth's stuff. I actually really like the Irenicus and Bodhi section even though i have heard some negative comments on it.

Edited by - Arannis on 10 Mar 2022 03:37:07
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2022 :  02:18:47  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we not going to talk about the high CR villains at the back?
We got an archdevil and a classic pre-D&D Ed's Realms monster to talk about here. And demodands.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  08:35:57  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ADMIIIINS

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  09:45:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

ADMIIIINS

For some reason, our latest round of spammers thinks we need help with essays and such... They've all been disinvited.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2022 :  01:42:14  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

ADMIIIINS

For some reason, our latest round of spammers thinks we need help with essays and such... They've all been disinvited.

I doubt anyone is intentionally building some scheme. If I were designing these kind of bots I wouldn't use them to direct people back to my own site. I'd use them to direct people to someone else's site using a tracked interstitial link. I suspect bots are either sent here and many other places for testing, or automated systems end up here every so often by following traffic to sites used frequently. These bots were probably designed back when these forum websites were popular, and this is likely one of the few websites checked daily by users that still uses old web formats.

Anyway yeah this book has Demodands!

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  05:59:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
$14.95 .... pass. If they wanted something to raise money for charity, they really should learn that going cheaper on something that's essentially free to distribute gets more buyers (essentially, they're donating their time, we're donating the money... they've already spent the time, so they should focus on maximizing the money and making people feel like they "got a deal AND donated").

Maybe I'm an insensitive, uncaring brute. But when I'm solicited by charities, I'll contribute "whatever I want" and I won't contribute a fixed price tag. I approve of charities which are willing to take any donation in any quantity, I disapprove of charities which construct artificial tiers for donations and rewards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  18:01:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, going over this thread again, I found a spammer that I'd previously missed.

And a new one.

Neither shall return.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2022 :  19:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But is it canon?

-- George Krashos

I absolutely would have bought this if canon meant anything anymore. Wotc’s biggest blunder.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2023 :  23:33:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Maybe I'm an insensitive, uncaring brute. But when I'm solicited by charities, I'll contribute "whatever I want" and I won't contribute a fixed price tag. I approve of charities which are willing to take any donation in any quantity, I disapprove of charities which construct artificial tiers for donations and rewards.

Exactly, I feel the same.... and I also don't trust folks that do this kind of thing either to always do with the cash what they say they will (whereas someone who says "pay what you want, I'm giving it all to charity".... I'm more inclined to believe). Sadly, the few folks who have performed badly ruin it for those that may have good intentions.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000