Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Deathly Hallows and Greek Mythology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  11:38:19  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Delete Topic
Ok, first, this is not Realms related and I'm not sure where to put it (sorry Wooly), I honestly tried to figure it out :)

So, a TikTok rant about Harry Potter got my brain going and I thought maybe someone here might have some insight...

The bit that got me going was the names of the brothers from the Deathly Hallows that cheated death. They were Cadmus, Antioch, and Ignotus.

The founders of much of ancient Greece, according to Greek Mythology were three brothers who were tasked with tracking down and rescuing their sister Europa from Zeus: Cadmus (he founded Thebes and was basically the first Greek hero), Cilix (he founded the region of Cilisia in what is now Turkey), and Phoenix (he founded Phoenicia in what is now Lebanon). Like most myths, there are contradictory stories, but that's the baseline.

The similarities between the Cadmus' is obvious. Next comes Cilix and Antioch. Not as obvious, but it is interesting to not that Antioch is a city on the border of Cilisia and for a time was basically the capital of the region. This was the thought that got me going on this.

Unfortunately, all I can come up with for the third pair, Phoenix and Ignatus, is that 1) JKR could not use the name Phoenix, given the prevalence of the flaming bird in the Potter books so she needed a related name 2) Ignatus seems to also be tied to the root for fire.

Does anyone see a reason / clearer connection that I'm missing?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  12:53:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
I see no reason why it wouldnt have had a greek influence. Rowling studied the Classics, including Greek and Roman works.

Having visited Edinburgh recently and done a Harry Potter tour there seems to be a bit of a theme with her naming conventions.

A lot of anecdotal names come from places, people, events, and any other inspiration in and around edinburgh (Mcgonagall, Tom Riddle, and many others were names on gravestones in Edinburgh). The houses of Hogwarts are based on a nearby school, Diagon Alley is partly based on a street in Edinburgh.

But she also did lots of word plays. Tom Riddle is named that because his name is a riddle. Sirius Black is named after the Dog Star (Sirius) and Black because he was a black dog.

So i wouldnt look solely for a Greek inspiration here, look also at what each of the brothers represented.

One was power mad, how could that translate into a name. One was a necromancer of sorts, how could that translate. The last one i'm stumped on but i think Peverell was from the graveyard in Edinburgh.

Just my two cents, but look at word associations and word plays as well as classic inspiration.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  16:58:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Greek mythology wasn't her only influence for names, though it's a strong one. Many of the Weasleys were named after British royalty (and maybe a couple of Dukes).

Some of her naming conventions bugged me, like the previously mentioned Sirius Black (who turned into a black dog) or his buddy Remus Lupin (Remus, raised by wolves, lupin, close to lupine, wolf-like). Good names, but it gets to being jokes and puns when used that way.

All that said... Really not Realms-related or even D&D-related. I'd let it slide if we could make some RPG connection, but there's nothing there without stretching.

So, apologies, but since we are a Forgotten Realms forum, we have to end this discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000