Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Winds and Waves of the Trackless Sea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2021 :  05:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I know this has been discussed previously but I'm having trouble finding the info I am looking for.

Definitive info I have found on sea travel:
*from Waterdeep north to Luskan 6 days
*from Luskan south to Waterdeep 8 days
*from Waterdeep south to Baldur's Gate 9 days
*from Baldur's Gate north to Waterdeep 7 days
*from Sword Coast to Maztica 40 days
*from Maztica to Sword Coast 60 days
*from Maztica to Sword Coast 45 days, if one dares go near Evermeet

Somewhere I could have sworn I read that debris from ship wrecks at X were known to wash up in Y. I want to say something like Maztica to Icewind Dale?

I have also read here that Evermeet causes odd effects sort of like a draining tub. Not sure what source that reference is from, and being magical I don't presume that it rotates clockwise or reverse.

The basic idea I think is that as long as there is wind a good sailor can capture it and sail in whatever direction and that differences in travel time are primarily drag from going against the flow of the water.

I understand air and sea currents are complicated in a non-magical world but if someone thinks they have a good grasp of how it works and would like to explain it to me I would much appreciate it. Or point me to a post made by Ed. Thanks.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 19 Sep 2021 00:07:37

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2021 :  10:01:24  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should think that the water currents are whatever you want them to be.

If you want real world sources, check out this image:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-caX4icQK8mc/V6FAI4EaGTI/AAAAAAAAWzc/Xk8smL_OgqkMSBvOlKTefbfQ0nogQ1UMgCLcB/s1600/99ZA-Image%2BMap%2Bwith%2BArrows.jpg

And also this one:
https://cdn.britannica.com/91/53891-050-3CDF0E7C/ocean-systems-world.jpg

Look at the oceans of the world and think big circles. Warm and cold water shift around. There are boundary areas at the equator (naturally). Circles next to one another rotate in opposite directions like gears.

What you probably want for your game is something that is probably a rough sketch of the major flows and deal with local bays and gulfs as you come to each in game.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2021 :  00:48:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Ed has appeared to indicate that currents in general follow the same type of pattern as on Earth, the circular movement. Warm to cold in hemispheric rotations. It would not be found in any single post, however derived from answers about weather in various cities, for example Waterdeep. As for sailing against the currents, if you have the wind, it is possible to travel backward. If in a strong current it could be moving faster then the wind sends the ship forward on it.

One should recall wind has patterns as well on a global scale, there are some spells that can change local conditions however having wizard(s) or priests enough likely not available for commercial shipping, not sure many militaries would muster enough for any major endeavor.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000