Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pet peeves: misconceptions about the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2021 :  11:42:29  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best laid plans of mice and Wooly Ruperts .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2021 :  16:22:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Everything has already been detailed and there's no room for people to make their own stuff.

-Related, I guess, the notion that a DM must literally consume every piece of product available in order to make a game and that every player is some maniacal neckbeard who "ackshuallies" that same DM the moment he/she makes a mistake.

I wonder what would happen if you presented a globe of Toril (not just Faerun) and ask them to roughly outline the detailed area of their campaign.

Yeah, if the last six years has taught me anything, its that there is WAY too much undetailed stuff and so much wiggle room for designing things. So many things that people take as hard defined can with just a few simple things like "that's what they say they SAW, but in a world of magic how would the KNOW what actually happened"... that you can literally change tons of lore however you want. It just takes an active imagination and a willingness to think about it (which is half the fun).

Then when you leave Faerun and go into other continents... or even more, expand into wildspace.... the possibilities are wide open.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Sep 2021 16:29:53
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2021 :  18:45:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Using search engines has already become 10x harder with that horrible MTG set

I feel much the same whenever a subpar/shoddy film adaptation of a beloved intellectual property is announced.

Succubus-chan is also worried lately.
quote:

As far as I can tell, the Purple-Eyed Cuisinart is the only bookseller in the setting, at least for novels. Not at all bothering to buy Starfall Enclave.

Ah, the fabled times when marketing could gather money and not just contempt. I prefer "emo Conan" for that one character reputed to be the most copy-pasted marysue, but recognize this became too equivocal, especially after a swarm of CRPG catering to androginy and "I can preach bad boy to toy boy" fetishes.

quote:

-Everything has already been detailed and there's no room for people to make their own stuff.

This roughly translates as "I want to make my own stuff, but got hooked on Steel Donuts".

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think, for me, a "problem" with the Realms is the weird status it has. It's sort of the de-facto "flagship" setting. And sort of the de-facto "core" setting. Sometimes proudly (and half-officially) embraced as the prominent iconic D&D setting. Sometimes relegated to a sort of half-unrecognized backseat baggage setting. And it's the testing ground for every new, old, wonderful, beautiful, terrible, awful idea or fashion that WotC invents.

In simpler words, any current "flagship" will be a target of every half-baked attempt at "but X is a good kid, please shoehorn his stuff... well, somewhere", which used to be absorbed by Dragon.
Thus practically becomes a setting used as a trashcan.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That the Shaar "collapsed into the underdark" as a result of the spellplague rather than just transferring to Abeir and returning. Similar misconceptions with portions of the Wizard's Reach, Chessenta, etc... sinking beneath the inner sea.

In this case, "spellplague" may be used as an umbrella term for "all that stuff randomly screwed up by the pointy-haired managers on shrooms in 4e". As in, "whatever". Because not everyone is all that interested in how exactly 2nd line in the infamous Bear Lore entry is worded, never mind less amusing parts of this funny-smelling pile.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 15 Sep 2021 18:46:46
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  02:37:41  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more:

1.Too many Gods. The "poor Players" can't learn the names of ALL the gods and remember them all...it's too hard. D&D needs less gods!

2.The gods are too ACTIVE in daily life or "I can't play an idiot murderhobo because the gods are watching". (and this is offical lore too...hehe).

3.The Realms have too much magic...only the players characters should have uber magic and the rest of the world should have dirt and sharp sticks!

4.The Realms are too big, it hurts my eyes and brain to look at that big map.

5.The Realms has too much lore and a new player can't be an auto expert

6.The Realms has too much "non standard, non-core" stuff and is not a pure D&D world
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  02:47:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Some more:

1.Too many Gods. The "poor Players" can't learn the names of ALL the gods and remember them all...it's too hard. D&D needs less gods!

2.The gods are too ACTIVE in daily life or "I can't play an idiot murderhobo because the gods are watching". (and this is offical lore too...hehe).

3.The Realms have too much magic...only the players characters should have uber magic and the rest of the world should have dirt and sharp sticks!

4.The Realms are too big, it hurts my eyes and brain to look at that big map.

5.The Realms has too much lore and a new player can't be an auto expert

6.The Realms has too much "non standard, non-core" stuff and is not a pure D&D world

All the things I love about it lol.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  08:51:10  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra's problem is that she's in a lot of novels, giving the impression that the rest of the gods are sitting around with their thumbs up their backsides. The canonical material plane deities like Gargauth and Crown!Myrkul, and demipowers like Savras who should actually be the ones interacting with their flock, do zilch.

When's the last time Chauntea or Lathander did something personally. The only deity I remember is Mask, and he didn't exactly waltz into Mount Celestia and murder everything on the First Heaven.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  12:44:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Mystra's problem is that she's in a lot of novels, giving the impression that the rest of the gods are sitting around with their thumbs up their backsides. The canonical material plane deities like Gargauth and Crown!Myrkul, and demipowers like Savras who should actually be the ones interacting with their flock, do zilch.

When's the last time Chauntea or Lathander did something personally. The only deity I remember is Mask, and he didn't exactly waltz into Mount Celestia and murder everything on the First Heaven.

Exactly why Mask needs back the portfolio of intrigues.

Oh, and on gods with their thumbs up their backsides.... that's only Cyric... god everyone overblows everything. He took the portfolio of sticking your thumb up your hind end because he thought it would get him more worshippers.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  12:50:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just because it's not onscreen doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The real issue with Mystra is that WotC kept saying to Ed "Give us more of the powerful wizard who chats with his deity directly!" -- thus keeping a spotlight on her, by extension.

And that's a reflection of a larger issue at WotC, going back many years, now: WotC has forgotten that all of its most popular characters were once new characters no one had seen before. And rather than take a chance on a new character that might be forgotten or might be a huge success, they decided it was better to keep going back to the same well over and over and over and over again. It's part of their overall trend of letting accountants run a gaming company.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  22:07:24  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I wonder what would happen if you presented a globe of Toril (not just Faerun) and ask them to roughly outline the detailed area of their campaign.

-It's been years since the last time I looked at a Forgotten Realms map, or had reason to need to remember this stuff, but I could point out Chult...and that's about it.

That is totally OK. Just point out Chult on the globe. Ask other people one by one to point out their campaign's geography on the globe. I would expect a whole lot of increasing overlap of everybody's campaigns, mostly on the Sword Coast and North.

As we keep adding more and more areas, the growth of the union (not necessarily contiguous) of all sets dramatically slows down. At some point, maybe in the 100's or even 1000's of campaign areas, observe the coverage of this union relative to Toril. My extremely string suspicion is the union will barely scratch 15% of Toril's land area.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  01:05:29  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

WotC has forgotten that all of its most popular characters were once new characters no one had seen before. And rather than take a chance on a new character that might be forgotten or might be a huge success, they decided it was better to keep going back to the same well over and over and over and over again. It's part of their overall trend of letting accountants run a gaming company.

To be fair, WOTC inherited most of those popular characters. Like an unambitious heir handed a gigantic trust fund, they don't see much incentive to make risky investments.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  02:28:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

WotC has forgotten that all of its most popular characters were once new characters no one had seen before. And rather than take a chance on a new character that might be forgotten or might be a huge success, they decided it was better to keep going back to the same well over and over and over and over again. It's part of their overall trend of letting accountants run a gaming company.

To be fair, WOTC inherited most of those popular characters. Like an unambitious heir handed a gigantic trust fund, they don't see much incentive to make risky investments.

They had some breakout characters after buying TSR, too, but still decided to keep going back to the Elminster/Lord Ginsu well over and over and over again.

Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  03:08:11  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- "Wait, we're not playing in Waterdeep nor in Baldurs Gate? We're not in the North? Not in Cormyr? And we're not going into the Underdark? Then what's the point of playing the Forgotten Realms since we're obviously not going to be doing anything important?" This was actually said to me by a group of players about 15 years ago.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  05:45:35  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

- "Wait, we're not playing in Waterdeep nor in Baldurs Gate? We're not in the North? Not in Cormyr? And we're not going into the Underdark? Then what's the point of playing the Forgotten Realms since we're obviously not going to be doing anything important?" This was actually said to me by a group of players about 15 years ago.

Wow. I kinda want to reach back 15 years and join your past self in the conversation that immediately followed.

Where in the Realms were you playing?
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  22:13:11  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you know these players in an RPG context?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  22:41:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd argue Mystra's problem is that they killed her twice and changed her both times - so to most players she makes no real sense. The "good Mystra" messed that up forever.

As for the other gods, there were quite a few appearances over time with all the RSEs.

My vote would be to take them out of novels entirely forever. Muttered prayers or oaths only. No grand entrances of gods to serve as a fix it for writing into a corner. No Ao. No pantheon changes or wars.

Too much to ask I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  00:25:06  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage
I'd argue Mystra's problem is that they killed her twice and changed her both times - so to most players she makes no real sense. The "good Mystra" messed that up forever.

[...]

My vote would be to take them out of novels entirely forever. Muttered prayers or oaths only. No grand entrances of gods to serve as a fix it for writing into a corner. No Ao. No pantheon changes or wars.

I agree on both counts.

Over the past 20 years I have never referenced the Time of Troubles in game, because I could not see it as serving any purpose to the tension, stakes, and narrative flow of my game.

Having gods capable of directly affecting events in the realms limits mortal agency and you also get into the whole "if they intervened over here, why didn't they intervene over there?" thing.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  00:58:59  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Succubus-chan is also worried lately.

To be honest, once I finished reading the contents of that webpage, the experience felt similar to falling into a pit of punji sticks (or what I can only imagine such an unpleasant experience would feel like, thankfully). I play D&D and come to forums such as these in order to escape - in part, anyhow - the real-world political mudslinging that has dominated virtually every arena of discussion. Please don't share those opinions again.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelcimer

"if they intervened over here, why didn't they intervene over there?" thing.

You run into the same "problem" with Level 17+ NPCs the Realms over or even Level 10+ NPCs on a local level. Unless you painstakingly build your campaign from the ground up to anticipate notable discrepancies in personal power no matter where they exist, at some point, hand-waving the issue away becomes a necessity.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  01:34:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You run into the same "problem" with Level 17+ NPCs the Realms over or even Level 10+ NPCs on a local level. Unless you painstakingly build your campaign from the ground up to anticipate notable discrepancies in personal power no matter where they exist, at some point, hand-waving the issue away becomes a necessity.

I don't see why any hand-waving is necessary. There's a dozen Chosen. And even level 10+ NPCs are still something like 1 per several hundred people. It's a simple question of numbers -- the powerful people can't be everywhere, and not all of the powerful people are good guys, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  01:43:03  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see why any hand-waving is necessary. There's a dozen Chosen. And even level 10+ NPCs are still something like 1 per several hundred people. It's a simple question of numbers -- the powerful people can't be everywhere, and not all of the powerful people are good guys, anyway.

Pretty much this;
1: Do they even know what's going on? There's no social media or instant newsfeeds, and they might not have ongoing scrying or divinations over the area being affected, so it might take them a long while to even hear about what's happening.
2: If they do know, are they not busy with something else?
3: If they're not busy with something else, wouldn't their best solution be 'get a group of local adventurers to do it'?
4: Wouldn't said group of local adventurers be your party?

There's so many ways around super-powerful characters.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  02:19:16  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That is why I surrounded a particular word with quotation marks ; this distribution of potency becomes problematic only if you want to portray high-level NPCs as constantly superhuman in their efficiency and godlike in their perception. Even crystal balls have their blind spots, after all. My point is that this experience of ours is escapist heroic fantasy (as opposed to a realistic simulation of economics, politics and war with magic somehow accurately taken into account) and so there are times when "Just because." is all that's needed.

Also, can anyone here truly portray, say...Intelligence 22 or Wisdom 25...without resorting to a degree of GM Fiat?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  03:39:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, can anyone here truly portray, say...Intelligence 22 or Wisdom 25...without resorting to a degree of GM Fiat?

I can, of course. Just have to draw on personal experience.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Sep 2021 03:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  04:01:43  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scots Dragon
Pretty much this;
1: Do they even know what's going on? There's no social media or instant newsfeeds, and they might not have ongoing scrying or divinations over the area being affected, so it might take them a long while to even hear about what's happening.
2: If they do know, are they not busy with something else?
3: If they're not busy with something else, wouldn't their best solution be 'get a group of local adventurers to do it'?
4: Wouldn't said group of local adventurers be your party?

There's so many ways around super-powerful characters.

Exactly. High level characters are not a problem as such. Everybody has their own problems. Everybody has finite resources, time, energy, etc.

Gods, however, are aware of a lot more and can literally be in more than one place at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  07:02:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who doesn't see any problem with the gods in D&D? I mean, that they have the power to be in more than one place at a time doesn't mean that they want to be in more than one place at a time. They can by like the greek gods or the Dragon Ball Super gods, that don't intervene in stuff because they don't want to, even if they have the power to solve all stuff by snapping fingers. I mean, if Mystra is a good-aligned goddess who allows evil magic users to use magic and do evil stuff with magic and nobody says nothing about it, that same logic can be applied to any other god as well.

If you don't like that, use another plot device to make the gods don't interfere in the world. FR has Ao for this very purpose. And the 4e core world had the Primal Ban (that IMO, is a better option than Ao).

But really, I have never seen any problem with existing gods in fantasy.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Sep 2021 07:04:34
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  12:27:08  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- "Ooo! Let's all play elves or 'good' drow, half-elves at the least." And then the players proceed to play them like impatient & reckless humans regardless of having lifespans 2-5 times that of humans in the setting.

- "Elves are the epitome of wisdom & good, who can be trusted with magic, are respectful of the environment, and treat all with equality." Hah! They warred among themselves for power, wrought the greatest magical calamities upon the world with their own botched magics, use their technologies to warp & twist the natural world to their desires, and look upon their own diverse race with arrogance & condescension let alone the "primitive" other races. For as long as the elves have produced bows, steel, wine, tree homes, cheese, and leather they have been perverting nature and its order.

quote:
quote:
Wow. I kinda want to reach back 15 years and join your past self in the conversation that immediately followed.

Where in the Realms were you playing?

The Backlands. I told my players that it was the area best suited for newer players so that they did not need to know a bunch of lore up front and had the greatest potential to create something that would leave a lasting impression on the world. I've run this campaign four times, now, and that group of players were the only ones who thought that being the heroes of stories meant waiting around for somebody to ask them to solve a problem that had nothing to do with them, and that somehow violently solving the problems for other people was going to get them to their PCs' completely unrelated goals. But that is not an FR problem, that is a D&D problem which apparently is coined "murderhobo-ing."

I like the gods in the FR because it so often requires the players to roleplay actual reverence for divine beings or risk offending entire populations and having divine services completely withheld from irreverent prats. The gods themselves may not care about the everyday lives of mortals but the people who worship them will view the PCs as "Flat Earth" or "Faked Moon Landing" nut jobs at best and criminally blasphemous at worst.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  15:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Am I the only one who doesn't see any problem with the gods in D&D? I mean, that they have the power to be in more than one place at a time doesn't mean that they want to be in more than one place at a time. They can by like the greek gods or the Dragon Ball Super gods, that don't intervene in stuff because they don't want to, even if they have the power to solve all stuff by snapping fingers. I mean, if Mystra is a good-aligned goddess who allows evil magic users to use magic and do evil stuff with magic and nobody says nothing about it, that same logic can be applied to any other god as well.

If you don't like that, use another plot device to make the gods don't interfere in the world. FR has Ao for this very purpose. And the 4e core world had the Primal Ban (that IMO, is a better option than Ao).

I don't see any issue with the gods, either. Aside from the Avatar books or when Elminster is talking to Mystra, we almost never see the gods directly. We don't even see all that much of them, indirectly. I've never understood the complaints of them being too active or interfering too much.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Sep 2021 15:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  20:45:11  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's plenty of evidence that the deities aren't really able to intervene that much in mortal affairs, which is why Chosen exist to begin with.

Also:
quote:
They had some breakout characters after buying TSR, too, but still decided to keep going back to the Elminster/Lord Ginsu well over and over and over again.

Why do you call Drizzt 'Lord Ginsu' specifically? I feel like there's a reference I'm not getting.
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  21:25:59  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert I've never understood the complaints of them being too active or interfering too much.

We could plot out on a spectrum interpretations that have the gods active in the game world. On one end, rarely and on the other, quite a lot.

I once played in a one shot at a convention that was run by some sort of an official organization authorized to run Forgotten Realms material at cons and I would like to think that they had guidelines to follow. The DM had us 1st level characters on a ship and had Umberlee herself manifest to the players to berate them. I thought it was supposed to be an illusion or mind games, but no, Umberlee herself.

I'm on the rarely side of the spectrum. That game served to show me exactly how far the spectrum goes in the other direction.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  22:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why do you call Drizzt 'Lord Ginsu' specifically? I feel like there's a reference I'm not getting.

When I was a kid, there used to be commercials for Ginsu knives, where they would go to great lengths to show they could cut through anything, and they'd repeatedly exclaim things like "It slices! It dices!"

Since the common perception of Drizzt is that he's slicing and dicing and cutting his way through everything in his path, Lord Ginsu seemed a fitting name.

I don't know if those commercials got as much airtime outside the US as they did in the US, but they were all over US channels, for a while.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Sep 2021 22:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  23:36:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

-Depends on the world. As presented in the Forgotten Realms, not too much. Maybe if you get into the super detailed nitty-gritty where you're looking at the realistic economic sustainability of a world with magic and such, but no one really microanalyzes this stuff to that degree other than "you know, this really can't work" kind of looks.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 18 Sep 2021 23:37:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2021 :  00:20:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

When I was a kid, there used to be commercials for Ginsu knives, where they would go to great lengths to show they could cut through anything, and they'd repeatedly exclaim things like "It slices! It dices!"

Since the common perception of Drizzt is that he's slicing and dicing and cutting his way through everything in his path, Lord Ginsu seemed a fitting name.

I don't know if those commercials got as much airtime outside the US as they did in the US, but they were all over US channels, for a while.

They can cut through an aluminum can and then cut right through a tomato.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000