Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5th edition, forgotten realms hero pool?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  03:13:31  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been manually creating 5th edition versions of my old F/R favorite heroes like Drizzt and Artemis or snagging published versions (Like Jarlaxle, Manshoon).

But what I really want is all the heroes that were around in the 2nd edition days (1360-1380). So I have converted Bruenor (13th lvl), Wulfar (9th lvl) etc.

I was wondering if someone has already done this to save me time... happy to purchase a drive through as needed?

thanks!

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  04:33:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you stat them as if they were actual Player Characters (like how 3e is) or more of a nebulous mix of quirky features and Hit Die that 4e and 5e do, like how Jarlaxle and Laeral are?

Edited by - Diffan on 05 Sep 2021 04:34:14
Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  06:26:52  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Do you stat them as if they were actual Player Characters (like how 3e is) or more of a nebulous mix of quirky features and Hit Die that 4e and 5e do, like how Jarlaxle and Laeral are?

For all the "heroes" I stat them like players
e.g.
Drizzt: https://www.dndcombat.com/dndcombat/Welcome.do?characterSheet=13352
Same goes for Artemis

I guess for villains like Jarlaxle it makes sense to be a 5e monster type though its not a big deal as long as you have all the magic items and stuff to properly represent the character.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  17:23:42  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it helps, I believe that Drizzt has a stat block for 5th edition at least semi-officially. He was a level 8-9 Fighter in one of the official Acquisitions Incorporated sessions at DNDLive when Chris Perkins played him, and afterwards on Twitter or something I seem to remember him commenting that the actual Drizzt they have is 15th or 16th level. You could look that up for things. There may be other versions of characters out there as well, as Ed has also said on Twitter somewhere that Elminster has a 5th edition stat block in-house at Wizards.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  02:16:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregc

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

For all the "heroes" I stat them like players
e.g.
Drizzt: https://www.dndcombat.com/dndcombat/Welcome.do?characterSheet=13352
Same goes for Artemis

I guess for villains like Jarlaxle it makes sense to be a 5e monster type though its not a big deal as long as you have all the magic items and stuff to properly represent the character.

Jarlaxle stopped being a villian years ago, very, very much in the hero category now.
Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  04:33:25  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jarlaxle stopped being a villian years ago, very, very much in the hero category now.

Right, but he has a monster stat block from a recent 5e WOTC published adventure.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  05:22:32  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, but he has a monster stat block from a recent 5e WOTC published adventure.

Right, because in 5e everything a DM controls uses a 'monster stat block' which is why the mm and published adventures has pages of NPC stat blocks. The DM isn't supposed to character-build anything like that. My opinion, it would be horrible unbalanced. Most people just find a good stat block that fits your basic needs and rename it.
Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  12:14:59  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

Right, because in 5e everything a DM controls uses a 'monster stat block' which is why the mm and published adventures has pages of NPC stat blocks. The DM isn't supposed to character-build anything like that. My opinion, it would be horrible unbalanced. Most people just find a good stat block that fits your basic needs and rename it.

Definitely a cheap and easy way of doing it but not very exciting. I prefer a stat block that represents the intended character.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  13:13:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer not to kill them.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  04:56:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll dig out the old Heroes Lorebook from 2e and do some stats of those guys. I'll probably keep the levels pretty similar to what they were.

Edited by - Diffan on 07 Sep 2021 05:03:16
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2021 :  07:18:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I prefer not to kill them.

Agreed.

Once you give stats to any character or object in D&D, you invite players to measure their chances of successfully attacking, killing, or destroying it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000