Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New MtG set in Q2 2022 CL:Battle For Baldur's Gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2021 :  21:23:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The full title of the new set announced at the 2021 showcase where 2022's sets were announced is Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate.

It combines Commander Legends with the Forgotten Realms setting.

Expect 70 to 104 or more Legendary Creatures and Planeswalkers, Wonderful Items, D&D spells, "storied locations", the Partner mechanic, new multi-player mechanics and a very unique draft environment (its a mix of Commander with Draft). The last had over 394 cards in it.

So far Venture Into the Dungeon is Unconfirmed as is dice rolling. It's also unknown how reprints will be handled as the original Commander Legends had a huge number of reprints, although also 165 new cards not including 6 new cards from the Commander Decks.

The original CL reprinted 32 Legendary Creatures as etched foils so you might see the Legendaries from AFR in this set as etched foils.

I'm betting Elminster wasn't in AFR so he could be in this set as a Planeswalker with he can be your Commander and has Partner (you can have two Commanders if they both have Partner).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2021 :  21:44:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that they're also doing a Warhammer 40k one and a Lord of the Rings one.

Kinda surprised they didn't lead with Lord of the Rings -- it's far more well-known than the Realms. Heck, so is 40k, I'm thinking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  04:42:09  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to be a tie-in with the Baldur's Gate III game. That has me both intrigued and slightly worried.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2021 :  11:25:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

It seems to be a tie-in with the Baldur's Gate III game. That has me both intrigued and slightly worried.

I can see intrigued, but why worried?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2021 :  02:16:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I saw that they're also doing a Warhammer 40k one and a Lord of the Rings one.

Kinda surprised they didn't lead with Lord of the Rings -- it's far more well-known than the Realms. Heck, so is 40k, I'm thinking.

To ease folks into this, D&D MtG sets are scandalous enough, but at least MtG adjacent, unlike LotRs.

Plus I suspect the Brother's War was originally extended to be the Commander Legends set, but they decided to make it a standard legal set instead, so they needed a setting for the new Commander Legends set, and they saw how hard choosing between Legendary Creatures was for the AFR team, so decided to put the embarrassment of riches FR hasin terms of lore and potential Commanders to good use by combining it with CL.

It will have the benefit of having learned from both AFR and original CR, so I expect a great set.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  02:47:08  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what heroes, villains, monsters, important NPCs do we want to see as Legebdary Creatures and Planeswalkers who can be Commanders.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  20:27:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

So what heroes, villains, monsters, important NPCs do we want to see as Legebdary Creatures and Planeswalkers who can be Commanders.

Elminster, Storm, Sylune, Dove, the Simbul, Alustriel, Laeral, Quilue, Khelben

Zhengyi, Larloch, Szass Tam, Lauzoril, Mythrella'a, Lallara Mediocros, Manshoon, Sememmon, Sememmon

Fzoul Chembryl,

Gareth Dragonsbane and his various companions,

Open Lord Piergieron, Mirt the Moneylender, and other hidden lords,
King Azoun, Princess Alusair, Vangherdahast,
High Blade Selfaril of Mulmaster, the Lords of Imphras II,

Elaith Craulnolber, Arilyn Moonblade, Danilo Thann, Erevis Cale, the Uskevren family of Sembia, Jarlaxle and various members of Bregan D'aerthe,

various evil demonkind like Kaanyr Vhok, the daemonfey,

various fiend lords specific to FR such as Eltab, the three demons that attacked Myth Drannor, Malkizid, Ndulu,

the gods to represent ... steering away from "earth" gods or the deities apt to be more controversial...
Ilmater, Deneir, Lathander, Tempus, Mask, Myrkul, Bane, Bhaal, Velsharoon (yeah, I know it won't happen), Leira, red knight, Siamorphe, Auril, Umberlee, Valkur, Gwaeron, azuth, savras, gond, milil

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2021 :  17:25:19  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Elminster, Storm, Sylune, Dove, the Simbul, Alustriel, Laeral, Quilue, Khelben

Zhengyi, Larloch, Szass Tam, Lauzoril, Mythrella'a, Lallara Mediocros, Manshoon, Sememmon, Sememmon

Fzoul Chembryl,

Gareth Dragonsbane and his various companions,

Open Lord Piergieron, Mirt the Moneylender, and other hidden lords,
King Azoun, Princess Alusair, Vangherdahast,
High Blade Selfaril of Mulmaster, the Lords of Imphras II,

Elaith Craulnolber, Arilyn Moonblade, Danilo Thann, Erevis Cale, the Uskevren family of Sembia, Jarlaxle and various members of Bregan D'aerthe,

various evil demonkind like Kaanyr Vhok, the daemonfey,

various fiend lords specific to FR such as Eltab, the three demons that attacked Myth Drannor, Malkizid, Ndulu,

the gods to represent ... steering away from "earth" gods or the deities apt to be more controversial...
Ilmater, Deneir, Lathander, Tempus, Mask, Myrkul, Bane, Bhaal, Velsharoon (yeah, I know it won't happen), Leira, red knight, Siamorphe, Auril, Umberlee, Valkur, Gwaeron, azuth, savras, gond, milil

a fair amount of these characters are dead, some long dead like Gareth Dragonsbane, as far I can tell the CL: BfBG is tied into BG3band set in the current ties, so most if not all the Legends are going to be ones who could at least visit Baldur's Gate, so Arilyn , Cale, Jarlaxle, Mirt, Fzoul, Elminister, Laerel, Larloch, Manshoon, Elaith Craulnolber, I can see, they should still be alive, many of the others are dead.

For demon Lords Malchanthet is the only one still running amuck on Torilband the end of Rage of Demons (which is really weird because she has also been depicted in 5e as an Archdevil), although I think Demogorgon will likely be in the set because of the Stranger Things secret Lair, which also has their own version if Demogorgon, this will allow them to print a none Universes Beyond version of the card.

Princess Alusair is a Ghost and many of the Chosen are weave Ghosts so they could hypothetically make an appearance as spirits.

Also given the Nautiliod flying above BG, it's clear what battle of Baldur's Gate is being depicted in this set, the one seen in the first trailer for BG3 where the Flaming Fist Merc turns into the Mindflayer.

So its possible there could be some Legendary Creatures from other settings having been captured by Mindflayers, not major named NPCs, but new ones like a new Legendary Warforged character, Plus I think Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul will be in set as Demigods, which means they will likely do some good Demi/Gods as well, hopefully. I'd love to see Sharess, Nobanion, Lurue, etc...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2021 :  14:51:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only because you mentioned Sharess, Nobanion, and Lurue together..... probably the dumbest idea ever, but I have a picture in my head of Sharess/Bast/Felidae having a child via Nobanion.... and the child/god being stolen and raised in the wilds of Katashaka. Yes, a whole lion king storyline (boo me as much as you like, but I'm gonna be fascinated with the idea for the next ten minutes).

And his name will be "Nobidae" as a mix of Felidae and Nobanion.... yep, say it aloud. When asked, his worshippers say, "I worship Nobidae", which leaves many thoroughly confused.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Sep 2021 14:54:06
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2021 :  05:17:57  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

I can see intrigued, but why worried?

--> Big multimedia crossover event makes me think that the events of BG III/Battle for Baldur's Gate/whatever else they might have planned is going to turn out to be a really big deal for the setting. Already from what little we can see from Early Access of Act One of the game, there's already a lot of important and/or influential individuals involved in the plot including multiple chosen, Archdevils and deities-and at a point in the game where the players are still chopping up goblins! It has the makings of another big RSE and although I trust Larian to write good characters and an enjoyable journey, WoTC has a less than stellar track record with these sorts of things and it makes me kinda apprehensive wondering what WoTC has planned. For all we know it could be the culmination of the big plan to merge the D&D and mtg IPs which seems more and more likely these days.

-->From the perspective of someone planning on playing the video game through The prospect of tie-in material makes me a little uneasy by itself. The mtg stuff is bound to have lots of characters and events from the game. So are we going to see a canon depiction of party composition, which characters live and die, good vs evil party, canon protagonist? I don't generally like having tie-in material give me a 'canon' depiction of events with rpgs I play, because it feels like my investment is being invalidated. The Original BG books were rather infamously reviled, but at least they were rather easy to ignore since the whole Bhaalspawn crisis thing was basically ignored otherwise until 5e so you could always have some room for your own little 'headcannon'.It's going to be a whole lot harder this time around if this is going to be part of some massive multimedia promotion from the get go with cards and possibly some setting changing stuff for the tabletop cementing a set of hard canon facts for a multiple-path rpg in a major event in the setting. It's not even a given that BGIII is going to be out next year, so the possibility we may already know what the canon adventure of our characters, who the hero was, even the ending of the game before it's even out-that'd be a real bummer, IMO>
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2022 :  15:24:47  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Casts resurrection*

The set is almost out, and we finally have an Elminster MTG card:
https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/elminster-arrives-in-mtg-commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate

There was also some controversy on how Bane and Bhaal were depicted, but it's fairly faithful how they chose avatars (aside from Bane choosing handsome black haired young male avatars, and in MTG he is blonde).

It's probably a coincidence, but Bane's depiction in MTG, does remind me quite of how Gilgamesh is depicted in the FATE franchise, to the point I wondered if it's an intentional design reference.

(This might interest scribes here, like Slevyas for example, with the possible connection between Bane and at least the current Gilgeam (and curiously, the original Gilgeam was also described as blonde haired in Powers and Pantheons)).

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Jun 2022 19:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2022 :  20:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up some of the previous FR set, even though I don't play Magic. I hope this new set does the same thing of having the art cards -- I wound up buying several of those, from eBay, to use as bookmarks.

I also liked how some of the lands were done up like old-school D&D modules.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2022 :  00:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of those guys who does not like chocolate in his peanut butter, leave the two hobbies I love separate thank you very much. The only good thing I can see coming from this is getting some nice high resolution art for D&D, often artists will have images of their MTG card art online without any borders etc.

As far as BG3 goes I was very excited up until I actually saw gameplay. Meh, one would think that I would be the target demo for it, someone who played BG1 and BG2 as well as the IWD series and the NWN1 & NWN2, big into PnP and video games. But it just looks wrong, the vibe is much more Divinity than BG. But who knows it seems like its stuck in perpetual Beta maybe its completely different now. Of course they've also lost my interest at this point.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2022 :  12:13:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at the artwork for these cards... I also didn't see many lands; I was hoping they'd do the same as the FR set and have land cards that looked like modules.

I was also disappointed by the art series; I think I'll get a few singles from eBay and that will be it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jun 2022 12:43:53
Go to Top of Page

Kilamandaros
Acolyte

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  10:28:47  Show Profile Send Kilamandaros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was looking at the artwork for these cards... I also didn't see many lands; I was hoping they'd do the same as the FR set and have land cards that looked like modules.

I was also disappointed by the art series; I think I'll get a few singles from eBay and that will be it.

They do have the story lands like they had in AFR, however they aren't in normal draft boosters as these are replaced by the gate lands. I believe you can get them in the set boosters.

Can see them all here under the lands section: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate

Overall I enjoyed the set, and will enjoy making commander decks with some famous faces from Faerūn - I cannot believe they didn't print a card for Edwin, he was one of the more prominent companions from BG1 & 2. Would have liked Korgan too but appreciate he's not as well known.

In terms of a magic set it's absolutely dismal however, barely any decent reprints and it's obvious they left these out to instead go in the Double Masters set that follows it next week at 3 times the price. Hasbro effect.

If you're new to magic I recommend avoiding boosters/boxes and just buy the singles you want

"It is you, after all, which has brought us to the dream. Nothing is real. Yet."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  12:17:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilamandaros

quote:

They do have the story lands like they had in AFR, however they aren't in normal draft boosters as these are replaced by the gate lands. I believe you can get them in the set boosters.

Can see them all here under the lands section: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate

I may have been looking at a less-complete list, earlier...

I don't play Magic, but I'm always on the hunt for something cool I can use as a bookmark. I was hoping they'd do some lands like they did for the previous FR set, where they made some of them look like 1E D&D modules (like the Evolving Wilds or Cave of the Frost Dragon cards). I thought that was really cool and I hoped they'd do that again.

I'm also disappointed by the Art Series cards. I got several of those, last time, but this time around, I think one of the Elminster ones is the only really nice one.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  15:26:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

*Casts resurrection*

The set is almost out, and we finally have an Elminster MTG card:
https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/elminster-arrives-in-mtg-commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate

There was also some controversy on how Bane and Bhaal were depicted, but it's fairly faithful how they chose avatars (aside from Bane choosing handsome black haired young male avatars, and in MTG he is blonde).

It's probably a coincidence, but Bane's depiction in MTG, does remind me quite of how Gilgamesh is depicted in the FATE franchise, to the point I wondered if it's an intentional design reference.

(This might interest scribes here, like Slevyas for example, with the possible connection between Bane and at least the current Gilgeam (and curiously, the original Gilgeam was also described as blonde haired in Powers and Pantheons)).

Well, I'm happy to see that at least they went with FR gods in an FR set. Based on a later response, I'm assuming they've released this? I actually fell out of playing the arena game, but I may buy a few packs for the online game.

Out of curiosity, what specifically FR things did they include? Did they do any modules like they did with the first round?

EDIT: hmmm, looking at the cards on that second link. I love tabaxi toucaneers, if only because it envisions some of exactly the type of forces I was picturing for my Wakanari Highlands in Katashaka.... the card itself isn't too useful without multiple opponents mind you, but the concept I love.

EDIT: additional notes, an Alaundo the Seer card.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jun 2022 15:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2022 :  19:02:02  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is an Undercity dungeon:
https://scryfall.com/card/tclb/20/the-initiative-undercity

From FR specific things, Wizards included Baldur's Gate companions, and some other characters, like Irenicus and Gorion. Characters and references to recent modules (Descent into Avernus, Tomb of Annihilation) like with Liara Portyr, Lulu, and sseveral other Reallms referncing cards. Here is a full list of cards:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/sets/Commander+Legends+Battle+for+Baldurs+Gate#online

Edited by - Baltas on 06 Jul 2022 21:10:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000