Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Iyachtu Xvim, Baneliches and Bane's return
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  14:56:51  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious what happened to the Baneliches that survived until Bane's return. I relize many of them were destroyed while Xvim was alive, especially so during the tyrantfog. But some surely survived until Bane's return. Are there any 3.5 or 4e era references out there that talk about the activities of the Baneliches?

Also what are the odds of a Banelich working with the Xvimlar?

I know Xvim was held in a some sort of prison beneath Zhentil Keep and was somehow released after the Time of Troubles. I have this idea that this prison may have been guarded by a Banelich and perhaps even sided with Xvim and assisted in his release. I was also thinking that some followers of Cyric and Shar have found the location of this prison and are going to sacrifice the Baneson in some sort of ritual. Maybe even assisting in the start of Shar's Shadow Weave. So said Banelich is overpowered by the followers of Cyric and Shar and has to either side with the Baneson or let him be destroyed, allowing Cyric and Shar to become more powerful.

Anyway I'm just Brainstorming here and wondering what thoughts the scribes here at Candlekeep have.

Thanks in advance for any input or speculation you may have.

Edited by - rangerstranger on 15 Aug 2021 15:11:34

Mi-Go
Acolyte

Finland
10 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  21:12:39  Show Profile Send Mi-Go a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely see that a few of the wisest Baneliches would fake allegiance to Xvim in order to survive the coming purge. The most powerful and favored ones might even be aware of what is the true purpose of Xvim and would simply wait for their masters rebirth. Essentially so to both protect Xvim from the machinations of Cyric as well as to assure their own survival.

As for the many less fortunate ones, if a Banelich was truly unaware of the possibility of Banes rebirth and felt himself abandoned I would presume they would be ruthless enough to betray anything and anyone in order to survive. Allying themselves to Shar would probably be a very welcome deal compared to trying to negotiate with the likes of Cyric or the occasional high-ranking devil/demon.

I believe the first mention of Xvim in the first FR Campaign Setting had him set up as a very powerful wandering NPC who was his fathers spy and assassin. By the Time of Troubles Bane had him indeed imprisoned beneath the Zhentil Keep and when Cyric destoyed the Keep in a fit of rage he accidentally released Xvim who then took hold of what was left of Banes cults. He never got too far though and died within 5 years or less of his release. In relation to this topic, waiting for roughly 5 years is no task at all for a lich and I could easily imagine a cabal of Baneliches doing whatever it takes to appease Xvim and put up with him for that period of time.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  22:25:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the baneliches not destroyed by the goofy apothesis of Fzoul would be the greatest enemies of Xvim.

He was literally a direct threat to their power.
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2021 :  15:38:58  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's implied, but not explicit, that on Mirtul 11th, 1370 DR, the Tyrantfog destroys all remaining baneliches in the Realms. That's from Cloak & Dagger.

Edited by - nblanton on 16 Aug 2021 15:40:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2021 :  19:18:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rangerstranger

Maybe even assisting in the start of Shar's Shadow Weave.

FYI, the Shadow Weave has been around for quite some time -- likely longer than Xvim. We don't have a date for its creation, that I'm aware of, but the 3E FRCS (page 57) says: "Over the millennia some mortals, mainly her servants, have been allowed to discover the Shadow Weave or have stumbled across it in their researches."

And page 7 of Magic of Faerûn adds to that: "While the Shadow Weave has existed for quite some time, only recently has its use begun to spread rapidly and its power become known to many."

On a separate note, if you've not seen it elsewhere in our halls, I've a theory that Xvim did not die, and that he's using his father's name to get more worshippers -- the whole return of Bane thing was an elaborate ruse. I can share my admittedly inconclusive evidence, if you're interested and haven't already seen it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2021 :  21:05:16  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

FYI, the Shadow Weave has been around for quite some time -- likely longer than Xvim. We don't have a date for its creation, that I'm aware of, but the 3E FRCS (page 57) says: "Over the millennia some mortals, mainly her servants, have been allowed to discover the Shadow Weave or have stumbled across it in their researches."

And page 7 of Magic of Faerûn adds to that: "While the Shadow Weave has existed for quite some time, only recently has its use begun to spread rapidly and its power become known to many."

Thanks for this bit of info Wooly, I had completely missed it in the FRCS. I also think I got my wires crossed when reading Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land. The ritual that Esvele Greycastle is trying to complete in that module and in the preceding Cormyr module only suppresses the Weave, and is not creating the Shadow Weave. So that would be the purpose of somehow capturing and sacrificing Xvim to a combined Shar and Cyric. I think it would give the two faiths a decent reason for working together.

quote:

On a separate note, if you've not seen it elsewhere in our halls, I've a theory that Xvim did not die, and that he's using his father's name to get more worshippers -- the whole return of Bane thing was an elaborate ruse. I can share my admittedly inconclusive evidence, if you're interested and haven't already seen it.

Yes, I have seen bits of the theory, but not all of your ideas in their entirety. I may not have been the first but I did point out to you that passage in Empires of the Shining Sea about Xvim pretending to be Bane when he told Teldorn Darkhope to conquer Mintar. As far as sharing your evidence on Xvim, I would not mind at all. Feel free to PM me.

This also brings up another idea. Would the Baneliches, if any survived, know if Xvim was masquerading as his father?

Also it seems from reading Cloak and Dagger that Xvim actually became stronger after the Tyrantfog and that's why Xvim restored Fzoul to life and made him his chosen. I think reclaiming the power of a bunch of Baneliches would make it easier for Bane to return, if infact he did. Seems Bane may have foresaw his own death as Bhaal did and created all of his Baneliches. Sort of making them an equivalent of Bhaalspawn.

Edited by - rangerstranger on 16 Aug 2021 21:07:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  03:11:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, I have seen bits of the theory, but not all of your ideas in their entirety. I may not have been the first but I did point out to you that passage in Empires of the Shining Sea about Xvim pretending to be Bane when he told Teldorn Darkhope to conquer Mintar. As far as sharing your evidence on Xvim, I would not mind at all. Feel free to PM me.

I decided to re-compose my thoughts, and put them in their own thread, rather than throwing out my wall of text whenever relevant. My thread is here: Wooly's thoughts on Bane 2.0 and Iyachtu Xvim

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  13:26:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've always liked the idea that Karsus' actions actually peeled away some control points of the weave and "anchored" them to him in the moments that he was a god, and that this is the source of the shadow weave. I think there have even been some allusions to that as well. These control points may have had ties to Shar prior to being given to Mystryl's control, and thus why Shar was able to take over to some degree.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  11:23:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nblanton

It's implied, but not explicit, that on Mirtul 11th, 1370 DR, the Tyrantfog destroys all remaining baneliches in the Realms. That's from Cloak & Dagger.

The GIANT loophole in this is that any Baneliches outside the area of that fog would have been spared.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  11:35:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal view is that not all Baneliches are gone, as Masked Mage pointed out the tyrantfog only covered a limited area, i forget what that area was exactly but i think it was the lands around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

From what we know of Bane's church it is entirely possible there are a few in the Western Heartlands, and perhaps even Calimshan.

If i remember correctly not all Baneliches involved Bane, some people stole the process of their creation and so Bane put a stop to it (which i take to mean that his church spent a lot of time hunting down anyone with knowledge of the process of creating baneliches and destroyed all evidence).

Its kind of implicit that creating BAneliches involves using the essence of Bane, so Xvim absorbing their power would make him more bane like and more likely to become Bane (which may have been Bane's plan all along, he had them created and figured in the event of his death that someone would try and destroy them to prevent his return, but killing them releases that power highlander style and absorbing enough of it makes the slayer Bane 2.0).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  13:23:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

My personal view is that not all Baneliches are gone, as Masked Mage pointed out the tyrantfog only covered a limited area, i forget what that area was exactly but i think it was the lands around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

From what we know of Bane's church it is entirely possible there are a few in the Western Heartlands, and perhaps even Calimshan.

If i remember correctly not all Baneliches involved Bane, some people stole the process of their creation and so Bane put a stop to it (which i take to mean that his church spent a lot of time hunting down anyone with knowledge of the process of creating baneliches and destroyed all evidence).

Its kind of implicit that creating BAneliches involves using the essence of Bane, so Xvim absorbing their power would make him more bane like and more likely to become Bane (which may have been Bane's plan all along, he had them created and figured in the event of his death that someone would try and destroy them to prevent his return, but killing them releases that power highlander style and absorbing enough of it makes the slayer Bane 2.0).

George and I put a bit on the background of baneliches in the Jergal write-up.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  13:48:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's weird how you can read something thoroughly but completely miss huge things like this if you have a particular thing on your mind.

I was thinking Vaasa and Sarphil and Spellweavers so I didn't notice anything about Baneliches.

Back to school I go.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  03:00:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the feeling that, like Azuth, Bane is seriously uncreative and just slaps his name on anything he creates. It's a miracle Xvim wasn't named Baneyachtu Banevim.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  03:18:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That happened because the mother insisted she should name him. But Bane has regretted that decision ever since, an still has a mug to drink BaneCoffee with the name "Baneyachtu Banevim" still stored in the BaneCave.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 22 Aug 2021 05:03:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  09:14:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

George and I put a bit on the background of baneliches in the Jergal write-up.

--Eric

And if you look at the Ruins of Zhentil Keep banelich monster sheet it states that there were in the order of 35 baneliches created, of which 10 are known to have been destroyed. Afterward, Cloak and Dagger notes the death of the banelich Faram and the destruction of other hidden baneliches in Hillsfar, Phlan, Tantras, Yhaunn, Tulbeg and Marsember. That leaves potentially 18 extant baneliches.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  15:26:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a banelich in Finder's Bane, as well. I don't recall if it specified where he was from.

Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  07:18:32  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Go

I believe the first mention of Xvim in the first FR Campaign Setting had him set up as a very powerful wandering NPC who was his fathers spy and assassin. By the Time of Troubles Bane had him indeed imprisoned beneath the Zhentil Keep and when Cyric destoyed the Keep in a fit of rage he accidentally released Xvim who then took hold of what was left of Banes cults. He never got too far though and died within 5 years or less of his release. In relation to this topic, waiting for roughly 5 years is no task at all for a lich and I could easily imagine a cabal of Baneliches doing whatever it takes to appease Xvim and put up with him for that period of time.

Yeah I forgot about Xvim being released after the 2nd Banedeath when Fzoul read the True Life of Cyric in Zhentil Keep. I know Fzoul did not like Cyric as a deity and did what he had to to survive. But was he aware of Xvim at his point? One of the adventures in ruins of Zhentil keep says that Xvim had made contact with some followers of Bane before his release in 1368.

Presumably this is how he was able to communicate with Teldorn Darkhope all the way in Mintar in 1362.

What changed in 1362? Was he able to do communicate with Bane's followers before this? Before Bane's death? Before his own imprisonment? Did Bane's followers know of Xvim? Lots of questions I know.

I guess Xvim had to masquerade as Bane when talking to Teldorn Darkhope but Fzoul surely had to know about about Xvim when he read the True Life of Cyric rather than the Cyrinshad in the middle of Zhentil Keep. Fzoul had to have another deity in which to place his faith if he were to do this and I doubt it was Mask.

I'll have to give Prince of Lies another read.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  08:55:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong here as I'm going from memory but Fzoul worshipped, Bane, then was forced to submit to Cyric but I wouldnt say ever really worshipped him. Then he turned to Xvim. Then Bane (although whether anything actually changed at this point is up for debate.

Interestingly Xvim was summoned to the Moonshar Isles where he got beat down pretty bad and used magic it escape.

Next we know he is imprisoned beneath Zhentil Keep. He manages to get a cult going among former Banite zealots and they do some awesome ritual to elevate him to true godhood (he was a demi power in the moonshaes and while beneath Zhentil Keep). The ritual involved sacrificing a lot of people and I presume was orchestrated by Fzoul since he becomes the head of Xvims church once he ascends.

My own personal thought is that Xvim used some ancient magic or magic item belonging to Bane to escape his near death in the Moonshaes, but it was actually an ancient trap setup by Myrkul to eliminate Bane should the two ever come to blows (Myrkul gives Bane a magic item to save him in the event of near death but it actually traps him so Myrkul can finish him off).

That led me to the thought that the stonejump spell was also old magic of Myrkuls that they used during their travels around Netherils fall and it could be used to trace their steps back to significant sites to the Dark Three.
So wherever Fzoul went with that Stonetell could be assumed to be a place the Dark Three visited when they were alive. Maybe Fzoul was trying to find more of Bane and Myrkuls magic, and instead he found powerful allies (and a means to create the tyrantfog).

Just my thoughts.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  03:12:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Fzoul briefly worshipped Mask before converting to Xvim. The time period contains Fzoul's reading of The True Life of Cyric instead of The Cyrinishad.
quote:

I could be wrong here as I'm going from memory but Fzoul worshipped, Bane, then was forced to submit to Cyric but I wouldnt say ever really worshipped him. Then he turned to Xvim. Then Bane (although whether anything actually changed at this point is up for debate.

Interestingly Xvim was summoned to the Moonshar Isles where he got beat down pretty bad and used magic it escape.

Next we know he is imprisoned beneath Zhentil Keep. He manages to get a cult going among former Banite zealots and they do some awesome ritual to elevate him to true godhood (he was a demi power in the moonshaes and while beneath Zhentil Keep). The ritual involved sacrificing a lot of people and I presume was orchestrated by Fzoul since he becomes the head of Xvims church once he ascends.

My own personal thought is that Xvim used some ancient magic or magic item belonging to Bane to escape his near death in the Moonshaes, but it was actually an ancient trap setup by Myrkul to eliminate Bane should the two ever come to blows (Myrkul gives Bane a magic item to save him in the event of near death but it actually traps him so Myrkul can finish him off).

That led me to the thought that the stonejump spell was also old magic of Myrkuls that they used during their travels around Netherils fall and it could be used to trace their steps back to significant sites to the Dark Three.
So wherever Fzoul went with that Stonetell could be assumed to be a place the Dark Three visited when they were alive. Maybe Fzoul was trying to find more of Bane and Myrkuls magic, and instead he found powerful allies (and a means to create the tyrantfog).

Just my thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  03:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he was worshipping Mask, he was just willing to accept his help.

Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  05:22:18  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The ritual involved sacrificing a lot of people and I presume was orchestrated by Fzoul since he becomes the head of Xvims church once he ascends.

It's been a while since I went through the RoZK boxed set, but I recall that during the period of time the adventure that culminates with the elevation of Xvim, Fzoul has fled Zhentil Keep and is hold up in Teshwave with some beholder allies, as he was without any allies after what he had just done by reading a heresy of the deity he supposedly worshiped.

The high priestess Xvim in the adventure isn't mentioned elsewhere in Realmslore to my recollection either.

Xvim and Fzoul begin their relationship after the deity's ascension.

Edited by - nblanton on 29 Aug 2021 05:24:10
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  17:24:36  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think he was worshipping Mask, he was just willing to accept his help.

That point works well. The very mercenary relationship was quite obvious.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  10:51:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this information in my notes re baneliches from Ed. It's from his 2004 thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=69

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  12:52:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, new old banelich names. Gonna be writing those down

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  13:54:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I found this information in my notes re baneliches from Ed. It's from his 2004 thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=69

-- George Krashos

Just reprinting that info so make it easier to keep this thread easier for people following me... then some notes...

From the Hooded OneHello, all. Ed makes another reply:

Torkwaret, Steven’s already dealt admirably with your first question; of COURSE you can still have baneliches around if you’d like to use them in your campaign.

Here are some banelich names from my notes: Clarth Hornhaeld, Khorvan Jaeleth, Harlrhys Moksoun, Haursar Rhallowglas, and Laumbur Yuthlekh.

As for burnbones, to quote the rules: “The early days of the Banedeath did not go well for Cyric, the (then) new god of the dead, and many of his fledgling clerics were slaughtered at the hands of powerful Banites. Cyric soon after empowered select members of his clerical faithful with a portion of his power -- so much power, in fact, that these clerics’ mortal forms dissolved into nothing more than mere bones and the fiery power of the Dark Sun. These new undead, burnbones, are similar to the blazing bones found in the ruins of Myth Drannor in appearance, but that is where the similarity ends. Burnbones tend to wear the symbol of Cyric on themselves (as a holy symbol, for instance) as a sign of their devotion.”

In other words, they’re paranoid, fanatical worshippers of Cyric who appear as walking skeletons sheathed in everburning flames. They do fiery damage by their touch, and heat damage to all creatures within ten feet (the flames never consume their bones, and they’re a lot more powerful than skeletons). They retain the spellcasting abilities (but no actual casting needed; they just point a finger and the spell issues forth) they had in life (as priests of Cyric of 12th or greater level). Cast spells return in 24 hours, spells can’t be interrupted, and they can cast a spell with one hand and attack with the other in any given round. Curing spells harm them. Burnbones are detailed in the 2nd Edition D&D Realms boxed set TSR1120 Ruins of Zhentil Keep (the cover of the box shows three adventurers confronting a burnbones).

Cyric controls them personally if he desires, so there’s no need to hunt down these rules; make their specifics whatever you want them to be, and blame the result on Cyric’s presence.

Just curious, anything ever done with burnbones to any significant degree. I'm not incredibly fond of Cyric and would prefer him to be a god of the insane, paranoid, and chaotic, but it might be fun to speculate at what some burnbones might have done after the spelplague when their god became imprisoned. For instance, would Lathander and Tyr have freed these beings from their "unjust enforced servitude to a mad god" and might they have been given a chance to serve a new deity while continuing to hold a bit of Cyric's power (visually, I could see them serving Amaunator, Kossuth, Velsharoon, etc...).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Sep 2021 14:39:36
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2021 :  00:42:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Just reprinting that info so make it easier to keep this thread easier for people following me... then some notes...

From the Hooded OneHello, all. Ed makes another reply:

Torkwaret, Steven’s already dealt admirably with your first question; of COURSE you can still have baneliches around if you’d like to use them in your campaign.

Here are some banelich names from my notes: Clarth Hornhaeld, Khorvan Jaeleth, Harlrhys Moksoun, Haursar Rhallowglas, and Laumbur Yuthlekh.

As for burnbones, to quote the rules: “The early days of the Banedeath did not go well for Cyric, the (then) new god of the dead, and many of his fledgling clerics were slaughtered at the hands of powerful Banites. Cyric soon after empowered select members of his clerical faithful with a portion of his power -- so much power, in fact, that these clerics’ mortal forms dissolved into nothing more than mere bones and the fiery power of the Dark Sun. These new undead, burnbones, are similar to the blazing bones found in the ruins of Myth Drannor in appearance, but that is where the similarity ends. Burnbones tend to wear the symbol of Cyric on themselves (as a holy symbol, for instance) as a sign of their devotion.”

In other words, they’re paranoid, fanatical worshippers of Cyric who appear as walking skeletons sheathed in everburning flames. They do fiery damage by their touch, and heat damage to all creatures within ten feet (the flames never consume their bones, and they’re a lot more powerful than skeletons). They retain the spellcasting abilities (but no actual casting needed; they just point a finger and the spell issues forth) they had in life (as priests of Cyric of 12th or greater level). Cast spells return in 24 hours, spells can’t be interrupted, and they can cast a spell with one hand and attack with the other in any given round. Curing spells harm them. Burnbones are detailed in the 2nd Edition D&D Realms boxed set TSR1120 Ruins of Zhentil Keep (the cover of the box shows three adventurers confronting a burnbones).

Cyric controls them personally if he desires, so there’s no need to hunt down these rules; make their specifics whatever you want them to be, and blame the result on Cyric’s presence.

Just curious, anything ever done with burnbones to any significant degree. I'm not incredibly fond of Cyric and would prefer him to be a god of the insane, paranoid, and chaotic, but it might be fun to speculate at what some burnbones might have done after the spelplague when their god became imprisoned. For instance, would Lathander and Tyr have freed these beings from their "unjust enforced servitude to a mad god" and might they have been given a chance to serve a new deity while continuing to hold a bit of Cyric's power (visually, I could see them serving Amaunator, Kossuth, Velsharoon, etc...).

I dont remember burnbones in anything other than Ruins of Zhentil Keep
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  17:33:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One "homebrew" Banelich to add to the pile:

In my eternally ongoing reworking of things I've recently decided to tie numerous pieces of old lore together in this, admittedly convoluted way:

Algashon Nathaire is a Banelich. "The Manipulator" was given the highest gift of Bane as he lay dying after his battle with Tuelhalva Drakewings. These characters come from FOR11 - Cult Of The Dragon. This gift is due to his success at stealing a portion of Mystra's silver fire for Bane in the ritual that saves Sammaster's life after his battle with the other Chosen.

In other sources we see Bane or his most powerful servants wielding Black Fire, very similar to Mystra's Silver Fire. This is where it came from. In addition to the other powers, as a Banelich, Algashon can wield this Black Fire. Fun, right? :)

Before, and after his change, Algashon and his CotD cell occupy the Temple of the Dragon Oracle, atop Mount Drakkor Rouge in the Thunder Peaks. This temple is connected to the lair of the dracolich Shargrailar the Dark. More recently, this cell is also responsible for the creation of the Dracolich Aurgloroasa in 1332 DR, among others.

The Temple is taken from DQ1 - The Shattered Statue, an old 1st Edition module

In that module, a monstrous "Dragon Wight" lives under the Temple. This I have made one of Sammaster's early attempts and creating a Dracolich. His first success, Shargrailar, is from the novel Spellfire.

Here's where it gets fun :)

The first primary antagonist of the Realms, from the Spellfire novel, was The Shadowsil. We learn she was a student of Elminster and later a student/lover of Manshoon.

I've made the Banelich Algashon "The Manipulator" responsible for leading her (and countless others over the centuries) to the Cult of the Dragon, and manipulating her away from Manshoon. This was the origin of Manshoon's hatred for the Cult.

On something of a side-plot for Algashon , during the time mentioned in FOR11 when he is away from Sammaster in the early years, (roughly 900 DR) I have him working with and manipulating the Witch-Lords of the Wyvernwater, instigating their attack (and ultimate defeat) on the Kingdom of Cormyr, and then recruiting the survivors into the Cult, forming his own cell, slightly independent from Sammaster.

During Algashon's time with the Witch-Lords, he was among those to cast a gemjump on the Wyverncrown. After it was stolen from Suzail and lost, he used this to recover the crown, which in turn he is using to create a brood of wyvern-drakes that live in the Swamp and cliffs around the Temple.

I said at the start it was convoluted :)

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 25 Sep 2021 17:35:59
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  02:38:12  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I dont remember burnbones in anything other than Ruins of Zhentil Keep

Right you are, Ken!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000