Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bloenin of Lantan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thane of Fife
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  02:27:27  Show Profile Send Thane of Fife a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Long backstory here leading up to a question:

In the Gray Box, lots of characters are given levels, and by and large, I think these levels mostly reflect the sort of ranges seen in OD&D and AD&D, where characters of up to about level 11-12 are fairly common. There are of course characters of higher levels, but they tend to be important people, culminating, as I recall, in leaders of Cormyr, Impiltur, and Baldur's Gate who come in at level 20.

The exceptions, of course, are the handful of magic-users who are higher than 20th level - Elminster, Khelben, the Simbul, Sylune, and Laeral (I think that's it, at least in the Gray Box). The Witches of Rashemen are also given a level range that extends higher than 20.

There are a few places in the Gray Box where it alludes to the given stats being imperfect representations, such as the mention under clerics of priests potentially being expanded on later, or the entry under Rashemen where the witches are pretty explicitly treated as magic-users for simplicity, even though they would perhaps be better represented in some other way. Given this, and that all of the other >20 characters mentioned above were later revealed to be Chosen of Mystra, I have wondered at times if these levels were originally intended/inflated to reflect that they had special powers.

Anyway, that all brings me to my actual query - the exception to all of what I've said above is Bloenin, the Lantar of Lantan, who is a 24th level cleric of Gond. This makes him the highest level cleric in the book, and one of the highest level characters in general - this would imply, per my previous speculation, that there might be something noteworthy about him. And yet, as far as I'm aware, he's basically never been mentioned since. So I guess where I'm going with this is - has there ever been anything else said about this guy, or is he basically just a really high level name drop?

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  15:21:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A search of my stuff showed only the reference you mention. I would say this would be an excellent question to ask Ed on Twitter. He would probably enjoy giving more information on the guy unless prevented by that amazingly powerful servant of evil: The Dreaded NDA.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  16:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NDA: Non-informative, Dreaded Acronym.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thane of Fife
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2021 :  02:45:00  Show Profile Send Thane of Fife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I would say this would be an excellent question to ask Ed on Twitter. He would probably enjoy giving more information on the guy unless prevented by that amazingly powerful servant of evil: The Dreaded NDA.

That's a good idea, but I'm not a Twitter user (at least, not yet - maybe an incentive to start).

I appreciate the look, though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000