Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Personalities from the Magic card set
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  03:08:45  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With the new D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms card set, comes characters that we may have seen/not seen before.

Other than the infamous ones that have a long history in the Realms like Drizzt, Bruenor, Old Gnawbone, Volo, Icingdeath, Iymrith, Minsc, etc., there were some that I didn't immediately recognize. Curious if anyone knows of any lore or where they have made an appearance in canon lore for the following named characters with their own cards from the set.

• Barrowin of Clan Undurr
  • Delina, Wild Mage
  • Ebondeath
  • Ellywick Thumblestrum
  • Farideh, Devil's Chosen
  • Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar
  • Gretchen Titchwillow
  • Hama Pashar, Ruin Seeker
  • Inferno of the Star Mounts
  • Kalain, Reclusive Painter
  • Krydle of Baldur's Gate
  • Nadaar, Selfless Paladin
  • Oswald Fiddlebender
  • Shessra Death's Whisper
  • Targ Nar, Demon-Fang Gnoll
  • Trelasarra, Moon Dancer
  • Varis, Silverymoon Ranger
  • Zalto, Fire Giant Duke

Edited by - questing gm on 16 Jul 2021 13:50:57

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  03:13:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebondeath is a dracolich.

Farideh is a novel character, a tiefling chosen of Asmodeus created by Erin Evans.

Trelasarra is a priestess of Eilistraee and the new informal leader of the Promenade in 1490s. She was recently introduced by Ed.

I don't recognize any other.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  03:46:31  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ebondeath is a dracolich.

Farideh is a novel character, a tiefling chosen of Asmodeus created by Erin Evans.

Trelasarra is a priestess of Eilistraee and the new informal leader of the Promenade in 1490s. She was recently introduced by Ed.

I don't recognize any other.

I had not known that Farideh was printed- certainly never saw her in my draft. Phenomenal! Fun to see that character hosting some fiend-pact-warlock-ability-themed dice text here.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  04:36:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delina the Wild Mage and Krydle of Baldur's Gate are characters of the new Baldur's Gate/Minsc and Boo comics.

Ellywick Thumblestrum is a new character created for the promo videos for this card set. Although there is a "Ellywick Thumblestrum" from 3.x materials, but the one from 3.x seens to be a different character.

Inferno of the Star Mounts, real name Imvaernarho, is a red dragons who lives in the Star Mounts. He was introduced in the "Power of Faerūn", a 3.x sourcebook.

Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar is an NPC from the adventure "Out of the Abyss".

The others not mentioned by Irennan, are new characters created for this set, it seems.

EDIT:

Well, Gretchen Titchwillow is a character from a boardgame named "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate", while Barrowin of clan Undurr is from another game, "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms".

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 16 Jul 2021 04:56:58
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  07:42:43  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Delina the Wild Mage and Krydle of Baldur's Gate are characters of the new Baldur's Gate/Minsc and Boo comics.

Ellywick Thumblestrum is a new character created for the promo videos for this card set. Although there is a "Ellywick Thumblestrum" from 3.x materials, but the one from 3.x seens to be a different character.

Inferno of the Star Mounts, real name Imvaernarho, is a red dragons who lives in the Star Mounts. He was introduced in the "Power of Faerūn", a 3.x sourcebook.

Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar is an NPC from the adventure "Out of the Abyss".

The others not mentioned by Irennan, are new characters created for this set, it seems.

EDIT:

Well, Gretchen Titchwillow is a character from a boardgame named "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate", while Barrowin of clan Undurr is from another game, "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms".

If hasbro does a crossover event, it's going to reference their other toys in the IP. That means board games and video games.
Edit: Mobile games.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 16 Jul 2021 07:43:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  12:49:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why, but Targ Nar SOUNDS familiar, though admittedly that may be because of the last name. For some reason, its making me think Vaasa OR a wotc web article about NPC builds. Probably wrong though. Its been the one card that I've seen that keeps tickling my brain box.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  13:02:27  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

Zalto, Fire Giant Duke

I murdered the hell out of that guy in Storm King's Thunder.

Which is to say that he's a SKT character, the antagonist of the fire giant chapter. Here:

"Fire giants love to fight on a large scale, and Duke Zalto is one of the greatest warmongers of his age. For years, more powerful giants have curtailed Zalto's violent predilections, but with King Hekaton out of the picture and the storm giant court in disarray, Zalto has set into motion a plot to wage war on dragonkind for the glory of Surtur and the divine favour of Annam the All-Father. It begins with the reconstruction of the Vonindod, a dragon-slaying colossus built by his ancient ancestors.

Duke Zalto has a nagging wife, Brimskarda, and two ill-tempered children - a belligerent daughter named Cinderhild and a sadistic son named Zaltember. The children distract him from his enterprise while his wife chastises him for not acting quickly enough. Brimskarda fears that one of the other giant lords will win the gods' favour first. Zalto is feeling the pressure, given that his success hinges on his ability to reignite Ironslag's adamantine forge and his minions' ability to retrieve all the missing fragments of the Vonindod. Unfortunately for Zalto, those are the least of his problems. The arrogant fire giant duke has failed to account for the interference of puny adventurers and a certain ancient red dragon."

The dragon being referred to is Klauth.

Other than those details, Zalto entered an alliance with the drow of House Xorlarrin to steal the primordial Maegera from Gauntlgrym, with the drow using some sort of custom iron flask to bring the primordial to Ironslag and get started on the reforging process.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  14:02:05  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So suspecting that some of these were more recently introduced personalities. I did some searching on the FR wiki and found most of them had recent appearances.

Other than the ones already identified so far, here's what I've found:

• Hama Pashar, Ruin Seeker - no prior appearance until now / newly created.

• Kalain, Reclusive Painter - appears in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, a jilted former lover of Dagult Neverember, and a painter who can use the Weave to bring them (typically monsters) to life.

• Nadaar, Selfless Paladin - no prior appearance until now / newly created

• Oswald Fiddlebender - the airship pilot and potion seller from Icewind Dale I & II

• Targ Nar, Demon-Fang Gnoll - Gnoll fang of Yeenoghu stationed at the Bleeding Citadel in Avernus, in Baldur's Gate: Descent to Avernus

• Varis, Silverymoon Ranger - no prior appearance until now / newly created

Still unknowns:
  • Shessra Death's Whisper

Edited by - questing gm on 16 Jul 2021 14:04:52
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  16:26:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hang on, there is a character called Gretchen Titchwillow and it didn't feature in a certain author's novel first.

The fact that such a name was allowed to come into existence without this author should be enough to condemn wotc, the 5e line, and the entire mtg crossover on it's own.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  17:40:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Hang on, there is a character called Gretchen Titchwillow and it didn't feature in a certain author's novel first.

The fact that such a name was allowed to come into existence without this author should be enough to condemn wotc, the 5e line, and the entire mtg crossover on it's own.

I'll bite.... why is that such a horrible name for a halfling? Titchwillow can be translated as "small willow".... it would seem a good name for a halfling druid to me.

Oh, and to the previous poster, thanks for the google-fu. I knew Targ Nar sounded familiar, and now I remember seeing him in that module.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  18:04:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Well, the game she originates from, the "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate" boardgame, had some mini-stories. We can't be so sure that certain author didn't had an input during the writting of said stories, lol

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  18:44:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'll bite.... why is that such a horrible name for a halfling? Titchwillow can be translated as "small willow".... it would seem a good name for a halfling druid to me.

Gretchen is a real-world name and should not have been used in the Realms.

And I'll note that even real-world, I don't care for the name.

Titchwillow... It's a bit odd. I've never seen "Titch" before, and though the name doesn't bug me as much as Jack Ravenwild or Caledan Caldorian or Cordio Muffinhead, it doesn't work for me, either. It's just... cumbersome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2021 :  23:41:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He first appeared in FOR1 - Draconomicon. Ed and I simply updated him.

--Eric

PS I'm tickled they included Ebondeath, as he was my creation.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2021 :  01:28:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Gretchen is a real-world name and should not have been used in the Realms.

And I'll note that even real-world, I don't care for the name.

Titchwillow... It's a bit odd. I've never seen "Titch" before, and though the name doesn't bug me as much as Jack Ravenwild or Caledan Caldorian or Cordio Muffinhead, it doesn't work for me, either. It's just... cumbersome.

Still not buying it, but that's my opinion. I think it sounds very appropriate for a halfling, and I think some of you are way too touchy about names. I get it with some... I mean .... Dagnabbit... yeah....

Now, if we start seeing Steef Yobs in business competition with Byell Gaets or something like that... yeah, I'll call them on it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2021 :  01:40:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steef Yobs is the guy who created the massive Sending chatter centers, while Byell Gates sell mass produced but less exclusive Speaking Stones...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Jul 2021 01:40:55
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2021 :  04:25:55  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steef Yobs is the guy who created the massive Sending chatter centers, while Byell Gates sell mass produced but less exclusive Speaking Stones...

Lantan was sunk for a reason it seems. XD

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2021 :  03:33:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of all characters in the set, with lore and all. Dragons included.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/legends-adventures-forgotten-realms-2021-07-16?fbclid=IwAR0LWCRcfDa5qfMBSsLD8mWPsi2nwAHTP58gQrecWC5wSswbE3vY2Z0wG4k

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 20 Jul 2021 03:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2021 :  04:12:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few of those bits of art on the Artstation website. Some of it is quite good.

Though I hate the name, I'd love to find clean artwork of Gretchen Titchwillow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jul 2021 04:28:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000