Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D for a 4 and 9 year old
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord of Rodly Might
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  16:40:05  Show Profile Send Lord of Rodly Might a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My 4 & 9 year old girls are very interested in playing d&d with their older brother and his friends, but they get excluded because it’s just to much for them. I would like to make a game for them, in 3.5 because that’s the edition I know very well. It’s going to be a very simple character/quest/storyline for them. I have a general plan of the story line. It’s going to take place in in Dalelands & they are going to have to find & help all of the lost Faerie dragons get home/safe.
My issue is with what simplified stats/skills should I focus on for them. I know no “combat” in the normal form, but I’m really at a loss as to how I should go about this. Not sure if I’m just having a “writer’s block” moment or what. So please any help will be appreciated by 2 very happy little girls

Rory

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  17:24:54  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, maybe use Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game, or Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Beginner's Essentials, or at least as a inspiration?:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html

(It's a clone of Basic D&D though it can be quite useful)

Go to Top of Page

Lord of Rodly Might
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  17:58:46  Show Profile Send Lord of Rodly Might a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you I was thinking maybe even something like the access allies board game where you were all sick siders and you’re looking for a target number or something like that as well

Rory
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  18:06:04  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would throw out all the player-facing rules besides HP, weapon damage, and attack rolls. Give the players the option of being (a) a fighter or (b) a magic-user. The fighter attacks with weapons, the magic-user attacks (from ranged) with spells. Both do the same amount of damage and have the same attack bonus, but the fighter has a higher AC (don't explain what this is, just tell the players that the fighter is harder to hit/damage because he/she wears heavy armor).

For any skill-related checks ("I want to walk across the clothesline like a tightrope"), just roll a d20 and add circumstance bonuses as needed.

EDIT: Also, use straight d20 rolls for attack rolls, but give all the monsters an AC of 10, plus or minus 2 depending on difficulty.

Edited by - HighOne on 15 Jul 2021 18:08:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  18:58:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monte Cook Games recently did a RPG for younger players. It's called No Thank You, Evil.

I don't know anything about it, other than it exists.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  19:29:41  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heroes Hesiod was produced during 3.5 for children 6+, I know people who have run it with success with their children. Available from wizards for free: here.

I have read through it a few times, and it looks like a good starter quest in my opinion.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 15 Jul 2021 19:30:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000