Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New D&D fiction line for middle readers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  13:43:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I learned of this just yesterday. The second series is entitled "The Harpers," so it seemly likely that it's set in the Realms. All I know about this is in the article referenced below. If I learn more, I'll share it here and in the Facebook groups Forgotten Realms Archives and Sages of the Forgotten Realms.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/48768/harpercollins-launch-middle-grade-d-d-publishing-program-including-graphic-novels?fbclid=IwAR3GjwKYKkE_dv7mIzhWgnj7mZvj3ym728PcOwbWKiTaho8VNn9Ogkkelto

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  15:16:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. The timing on this draws vacuum, for me... By the time these books come out, my son will be at the top edge of middle grade -- and he's been reading above his grade level for a while, so I'm not sure these will work for him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  15:35:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first Harry Potter book was written for that age group but adults enjoyed reading it. It will depend on how compelling the story is.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  16:17:53  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About time. I've been waiting for proper MG books for years. Seemed like a wasted opportunity until now.

And yes, I'm aware of the Endless Quest and Dungeonology books, but those are different.
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2021 :  22:26:47  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope it goes well in order to maybe have novels once again. Just the thought of doing graphic novels, comic books is...something.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  16:21:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I wonder how well "tielflings" would go over with modern day? People are a lot less religious and accepting of the idea of the redemptive villain, but.... when it comes to middle school... that being said, I would hope it goes over well. I just don't think that would be one of the first things I'd be showcasing, and it looks like a tiefling on the cover of that book.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  17:59:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, I wonder how well "tielflings" would go over with modern day?

Actually, they are doing pretty good. Tieflings specially, but other non-human and not-standard demihuman playable races, are really popular among the younger players nowadays, specially among the LGTBI+ community.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 19 Jul 2021 18:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  19:21:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, I wonder how well "tielflings" would go over with modern day?

Actually, they are doing pretty good. Tieflings specially, but other non-human and not-standard demihuman playable races, are really popular among the younger players nowadays, specially among the LGTBI+ community.

Yeah, but we're talking about novels, which have a much wider audience than gamers. The question is, how will that wider, non-gaming audience, who knows nothing of D&D tieflings, react to characters that are descended from fiends and such?

Honestly, I'd expect them to avoid such characters, at least for the first few books, to avoid upsetting those parents that think Harry Potter is occult material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jul 2021 19:21:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000