Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Economic Models of the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  19:39:11  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Today, I'll be pointing my curiosities to the economic conditions of the various nations(?)/city states of the Realms. I've often wondered how the industrial/commercial implications of a world could differ based on the general availability of magic. I've heard of teleportation playing a role in pseudo-freight transportation between Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter (don't quote me on that one). Has anyone come across any resources/interesting takes on the Economies of the Realms?

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  20:51:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a chapter on trade in the 3.x sourcebook Power of Faerūn. This book is available as a legal pdf from DriveThruRPG.com

In 2E, there was a great resource called Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog. It's more focused on stuff to buy, but the background was that Aurora was a merchant-mage who teleported goods to her various outlets for sale. The economic ramifications of this weren't explored; it was just a handy resource for equipping characters/homes/inns/wizard's workshops/etc.

Even without the potential of magical rapid transport, D&D economics has always been a little fuzzy, though... There's a disparity between daily wages commoners can earn and listed prices for goods and services, and the impact of adventurers casually throwing around thousands of gold pieces is readily ignored.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  22:41:59  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a chapter on trade in the 3.x sourcebook Power of Faerūn. This book is available as a legal pdf from DriveThruRPG.com

In 2E, there was a great resource called Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog. It's more focused on stuff to buy, but the background was that Aurora was a merchant-mage who teleported goods to her various outlets for sale. The economic ramifications of this weren't explored; it was just a handy resource for equipping characters/homes/inns/wizard's workshops/etc.

Even without the potential of magical rapid transport, D&D economics has always been a little fuzzy, though... There's a disparity between daily wages commoners can earn and listed prices for goods and services, and the impact of adventurers casually throwing around thousands of gold pieces is readily ignored.

Thanks for this. Fuzzy is definitely a good way of describing it. If you have any ideas of what the economic realities of the Faerun might look like, I've been itching to explore them. Shoot me an email if you feel like chatting.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  01:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has mentioned details here and there over the years. I don't have any direct quotes on hand but if memory serves, it was something along the lines of "portal networks are highly coveted, well guarded, kept secret, AND come with their own different dangers." One of those dangers if I remember right is taking various magics through them can cause them to misbehave. And I also vaguely recall magical monsters lurking in and around portals.

The other side of the coin is if you are constantly marching caravans of goods through a portal it is NOT going to stay secret for long. All this I think explains why overland and oversea travel has not disappeared due to magic. A merchant very well might have access to a portal but will only uses it to deliver goods if the buyer makes it worth the risk. I think of it like the crazy Overnight Fee at the post office.

I think another interesting question might be how something as simple as a portable hole could change the economy. A few of these and you can haul a lot of anything, nearly anywhere. No more worrying about water and food for the horses or wagon crew. Then there is Spelljamming and just misc flying ships.

At the end of the day, if anything needs "explanation" as to why it doesn't "break" a wizard did it. Ever since I read Ed's post about how Mystra's Choosen seed magic goods in dungeons I'm like ok that's how this goes then. :)

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  02:25:57  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Ed has mentioned details here and there over the years. I don't have any direct quotes on hand but if memory serves, it was something along the lines of "portal networks are highly coveted, well guarded, kept secret, AND come with their own different dangers." One of those dangers if I remember right is taking various magics through them can cause them to misbehave. And I also vaguely recall magical monsters lurking in and around portals.

The other side of the coin is if you are constantly marching caravans of goods through a portal it is NOT going to stay secret for long. All this I think explains why overland and oversea travel has not disappeared due to magic. A merchant very well might have access to a portal but will only uses it to deliver goods if the buyer makes it worth the risk. I think of it like the crazy Overnight Fee at the post office.

Holy canoli I literally had an arc of my campaign about this! Ed Greenwood strikes again.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  02:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thought that Ed puts into the Realms always amazes me.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  03:06:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider the price of hiring an NPC to cast spells for you. In 1E/2E, the "suggested" per-casting price of a 5th-level teleport or astral spell was about 2000GP-4000GP, while a 7th-level teleport without error or planeshift was about 3500GP-7000GP - plus the cost of any consumable material components. In subsequent editions, the prices were substantially lowered but still too expensive to rely on for (profitably) shipping merchantable commodities.

I agree with Gelcur ... people wouldn't hire caravan guards (and sturdy adventurers) or risk losing everything to pirates, bandits, or orcs if cheap and easy magical conveniences were affordable and available enough to turn a profit.

Most people in places like Cormyr, the Dales, Sembia, Baldur's Gate, and Waterdeep hardly ever venture far beyond Cormyr, the Dales, Sembia, Baldur's Gate, and Waterdeep. Even itinerant/travelling merchants, tinkers, and entertainers tend to stick to "safe" routes. Only unusual people (like crazy adventurers) would ever bother to travel across or beyond Faerun.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  14:14:56  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From memory, Gygax discussed once how adventurers and their interactions are an economy more suited to America's Wild West than medieval (or Renaissance) economic activity; think the one saloon/general store in town as the party of cowboys/adventurers ride in, marking their prices through the roof because they know the adventurers will be carrying ludicrous amounts of money and live their lives wandering from one place to the next.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  02:27:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As already mentioned the economy details we are provided do not work in the Realms.

The one answer was the adventures price list be higher, however never any details about retired or settled PC prices getting lower.

Some Editions did try to address regional costs IIRC, I know Edward Greenwood had a few replies about regional goods.

I did try to build a realm using third Edition and had to fill in gaps, however did have a framework that can work - if the crops come in, the mages are on staff, that security is good to get mages and others from disrupting. Also that the religions donated much of donations extorted by custom (Tithe) was donated/supported the lower income population.

I was never comfortable because details were not filled in with ways that fit all the rules. Each Edition that I looked at always had issues, price disparity being most common. Wage scales often unrealistically high or low and so on.

Edit: Fixed a typo

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 Aug 2021 04:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  05:27:30  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I did try to build a re;m using third Edition and had to fill in gaps, however did have a framework that can work - if the crops come in, the mages are on staff, that security is good to get mages and others from disrupting. Also that the religions donated much of donations extorted by custom (Tithe) was donated/supported the lower income population.

I was never comfortable because details were not filled in with ways that fit all the rules. Each Edition that I looked at always had issues, price disparity being most common. Wage scales often unrealistically high or low and so on.

True, even taking religious organizations into account. There doesn't appear to be a financial precedent that has stuck through the editions, but I thought it might be easier to grasp if industries could be mapped and quantified.
There's also the question of what gives the currency its value as a commonality of exchange. I would kill for an economic resource for 5e.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2021 :  13:51:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that you started with "nations" and also just created the Grand Politics Game thread...
If you want crude strategy level economy for polities, rather than prices for wooden ladders and 10-ft poles, every role/strategy game engine includes this.
So, pick any such tabletop - Birthright, SWN/WWN, An Echo, Resounding (this one has to be purchased, the rest have free versions). Or Proxy, if you want more focus on ratf backstabbing.
Technically, you could go for computer games. That is, run manually or on spreadsheet e.g. Master of Magic food+gold economy, since it's quite simple. Or even Colonization, if you want more pain in your... neck.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 10 Jul 2021 14:07:20
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  14:02:43  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pain in your neck computer games that simulate an economic activity web? Widelands, the Open Source spiritual successor of Blue Byte's "Settlers II: Veni, Vide, Vici" is just that - a working sim of resource movements for a growing nation. The movement of goods, not money, is the purpose of an economy, and this game uses simplified mechanics for the complex distributions of goods with many of the necessary functions of that economy needing specialized tools and professional laborers to exploit scarce resources and even using ancient practices of renewing resources. Any disruption of that web is of immediate and dire concern since this would disrupt the livelihoods of, well, anyone who is not rich enough to have stockpiled surpluses of all essential consumables. The vulnerable in a disrupted economy are threatened with the perils of privation & starvation in short order - conditions for which death usually results.

The tie-in of this topic to "Epic Geo-Poltical conflict" seems... too detached from the people. All models of economics are about deciding how resources are to be moved between people. The free market is people deciding for themselves what and how they trade based upon agreements without non-market influence (governments, mobs, guilds/unions, compulsive magic, etc...) forcing decisions, but the free market rarely exists even in our modern world. Most people performing trades have burdens of taxes, limitations of goods from either scarcity or protected monopoly, limitations of mandates for how much can be traded or when, and may have their trades nullified by non-government actors or bad-faith bargains. Geo-political conflict exacerbates all of these problems as people hoard goods, flee potential areas of combat, and curtail luxury spending in anticipation of hard times ahead. Even if war does not happen, the economic hit imperils the citizenry and makes the countries involved poorer.

If the PCs don't see: the farmers having to abandon their fields with crops that were supposed to pay off the loans they took to plant this years crops, the laborers desperately searching for other means of work now that their work places are shuttered for lack of raw materials, the families seeking refuge in unwelcoming towns while wondering if they can barter their few possessions for food to eat, and the government officials taking money & goods from everyone to shore up the locality's defenses or instituting harsh rationing of essentials during this time of impending or current crisis; then a "geo-political crisis" is a misleading label slapped onto whatever the minor diplomatic dispute is. A perfect example of a RW geo-political crisis that is the oil embargo of 1973 - it was enacted to get outside powers to reverse the fortunes of a regional war, it caused economic disruptions & fear in many countries, it changed the behaviors of nations & everyday citizens, it altered the status quo of international diplomacy, and its effects still last to this day.

No matter how it turns out, any actors involved will be viewed benignly by some people and vilified by others even if those others were the people being helped. Putting PCs into this is essentially setting them up to be castigated as the powerful people that did too little too late for those whom suffer ruinous destitution & loss of loved-ones. People want to live their lives peacefully and will actively find something to blame for for anything out of their control that shatters that peaceful life. Outsiders and unaffiliated actors are easy scapegoats for ill-will that might otherwise be directed at figures of authority for either powerlessness or ineptitude resulting in the displacement or deaths of citizens. Whether deserved or not the feelings of frustration, injustice, and jaundice will be focused on the people trying to do something about the conflict because that is just what happens when an economy is upended by external forces.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  17:56:09  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

The tie-in of this topic to "Epic Geo-Poltical conflict" seems... too detached from the people. All models of economics are about deciding how resources are to be moved between people. The free market is people deciding for themselves what and how they trade based upon agreements without non-market influence (governments, mobs, guilds/unions, compulsive magic, etc...) forcing decisions, but the free market rarely exists even in our modern world. Most people performing trades have burdens of taxes, limitations of goods from either scarcity or protected monopoly, limitations of mandates for how much can be traded or when, and may have their trades nullified by non-government actors or bad-faith bargains. Geo-political conflict exacerbates all of these problems as people hoard goods, flee potential areas of combat, and curtail luxury spending in anticipation of hard times ahead. Even if war does not happen, the economic hit imperils the citizenry and makes the countries involved poorer.

This is more or less the kind of concept I would like to articulate in my game. I've taken notice of the importance of guilds in a lot of the principalities/oligarchies of the Forgotten Realms. A few people have suggested to me however, that global trade networks don't seem to be emphasized very much within the setting.

I suppose what I'm really trying to figure out is:
"What (macro-oriented) ripple effects could occur, supposing trade relations (where there are trade relations) were to break down in bad faith among some of the the major powers of Faerun?

Also thank you for that Economy Simulator, I'm sure to get my rocks off with a tool like that. Kudos!

Go to Top of Page

Palant
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  03:47:05  Show Profile Send Palant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventurer Conqueror King System has a not bad economic system
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  05:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power of Faerun page 69 probably has the best sort of "summary" of trade in Faerun.

Page 75 and 76 has many costers in the Heartlands and what they specialize in.

Was skimming for some unrelated items so figured I'd add some info here.

Edited by - Gelcur on 31 Jul 2021 05:07:12
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2021 :  06:36:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Consider the price of hiring an NPC to cast spells for you. In 1E/2E, the "suggested" per-casting price of a 5th-level teleport or astral spell was about 2000GP-4000GP, while a 7th-level teleport without error or planeshift was about 3500GP-7000GP - plus the cost of any consumable material components.

Depends on the NPC and market, no?
But generally commercial translocation is rare, yes.
Aurora's Emporium maintains its own system. Of course, it was founded by an archmage.
Here's one business that sells such services:
quote:

The North / The Wilderness, p.70:

Perfectone Services
  • Personal Teleport is simply that: transporting a person from one city to another. [...] costs 400 gp per individual and has a 5% chance of failing.

• Personal Teleport Without Error is error-free transportation from one city to another.
    This service costs 600 gp per individual and utilizes the teleport without error spell to insure accuracy.

• The Shadow Caravan is a service that transports cargo through the Ethereal Plane in order to arrive at the destination safely. Unfortunately, there's always a chance for ambush in the ether. Regardless of distance traveled, the service costs 225 gp per load (equating to approximately one ton).
    There is a 15% chance of ethereal ambush, and if ambushed, the caravan loses 1d100% of its cargo. Perfectone Mercantile takes no responsibility for lost cargo.

• Shadowport (SP) [...] is a trip into the Ethereal Plane for the traveler at the cost of 375 gp per individual, or 300 gp per person in a group of three or more. The trip takes one hour of real time for every day's travel by caravan, though the traveler feels only one minute (per hour real time) pass.
    There's a 15% chance the traveler does not arrive at the destination for 1d4 weeks, though the traveler doesn't feel the time differentiation.

• Teleport Cargo (TC) is a service that instantly teleports cargo from one city to another. The service costs 325 gp per load (one ton).
    ThereĀ’s a 5% that the cargo is partially damaged in transport. If so, 5d10% of the cargo is shattered beyond recognition or teleported into solid ground, lost beyond salvage. Perfectone Mercantile takes no responsibility for lost cargo.

• Teleport Cargo Without Error (TCE) is a service that unerringly teleports cargo. The service costs 400 gp per load (one ton). There is no chance for lost or damaged cargo when this service is used.

Another juicy bit. Here's a thread from Ed, on economics: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1425487389728854025
Always cabals, costers, conspiracies, etc.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2021 :  16:44:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those prices seem to be really cheap. So cheap as to be disruptive to trade in general. That would spur the creation of "teleport diverters" to intercept those and thus make them unreliable. Then they would need to have "teleport enhancers" to counter the diverters and thus a magic "arms race" and that would drive up the cost of the service.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2021 :  22:33:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Those prices seem to be really cheap. So cheap as to be disruptive to trade in general.

Not in general.
There are several parameters and different niches. TCE is great where "losses matter more", i.e. for very expensive goods. The same makes TC more of a gamble (low chance, but possible up to 50% loss!).
Which makes the question even more obvious, yes.
But the problem is: they have branches in 9 cities and a constant problem of having too few wizards in any. The result:
quote:
Perfectone Service Schedule

Teleport
 City         	Shadow  	Teleport	w/o Error
 Arabel            	3        	 5        	3
 Caer Corwell    	1        	 3       	 1
 Calimport       	8       	10       	 7
 Longsaddle      	4        	 5        	3
 Luskan             	2        	 1        	3
 Ordulin           	3        	 7        	3
 Neverwinter     	2        	 3        	2
 Silverymoon     	1        	 3        	2
 Westgate        	2        	 4        	2

Of course, the most likely reason for such low supply not raising prices higher is limited demand. That is, most potential clients either don't trust the service, can't afford such costs at once or work in short caravan runs (or chains thereof, as in each town passed receives some goods, and local goods are purchased).

Moving on to normal overland travel, same book:
quote:
Merchant Pricing

When using a merchant company, there are several things one must consider: the courier charges, the relative security of the
transport, the chance of loss, and the amount of that loss in the case of an ambush. Table 3 (inside front cover) delineates these chances.
Cost Parameter: This is just an easy way of determining the relative cost for using a merchant company.
Average Price/Day: This is the charges for moving cargo. The longer the trip, the more it costs the manufacturer of the goods to move the freight. This also helps explain why things cost more on the fringe of civilization than near the manufacturing point.
Daily Chance for Ambush: Unless the caravan is in a heavily patrolled area (generally near a city), thereĀ’s a chance brigands attempt to steal part of the cargo.
Chance of Loss: Each time thereĀ’s an ambush, a chance exists the brigands make off with some of the cargo.
Percentage Loss: Each time thereĀ’s an ambush, and a loss of cargo is determined, the DM rolls the appropriate Ā“percentage lossĀ” die, and thatĀ’s the percentage of the cargo thatĀ’s stolen.
If a caravan suffers from multiple losses, the percentage of cargo taken is figured from the original cargo size, thus,
if a caravan suffers three attacks from thieves, and the percentage losses are 50%, 10%, and 15%, the caravan lost 75% of its total cargo.
(p.69)

Table 3: Merchant Pricing
Cost Parameter   Av.Price   Ambush Chance   Loss Chance  %Loss
Very Cheap      	 5 gp/ton       	6 in 20         	50%     	3d20
Inexpensive     	10 gp/ton       	5 in 20         	40%     	2d20
Moderate        	15 gp/ton       	4 in 20         	30%     	3d20
Expensive       	20 gp/ton       	3 in 20         	25%     	2d10
Very Expensive  	25 gp/ton       	2 in 20         	20%     	2d10
Extremely Costly	35 gp/ton       	1 in 20         	15%     	2d10

Hmm, a curious anomaly in the top of the last column (3-2-3).

Since total loss probability = p(Ambush)*p(Loss), and average amount of cargo loss = p(Ambush)*p(Loss)*k(Loss), calculated average values are:

Caravans (per day)
Cost Parameter   Loss chance, total  % Loss, av   (formula)
Very Cheap      	0.15         	4.725        	(6Ć·20)Ɨ0.50 Ɨ(3Ɨ10.5)%
Inexpensive     	0.1            	2.1            	(5Ć·20)Ɨ0.40 Ɨ(2Ɨ10.5)%
Moderate        	0.06          	1.89           	(4Ć·20)Ɨ0.30 Ɨ(3Ɨ10.5)%
Expensive       	0.0375       	0.4125         	(3Ć·20)Ɨ0.25 Ɨ(2Ɨ5.5)%
Very Expensive  	0.02         	0.22           	(2Ć·20)Ɨ0.20 Ɨ(2Ɨ5.5)%
Extremely Costly	0.0075      	0.0825         	(1Ć·20)Ɨ0.15 Ɨ(2Ɨ5.5)%

Magic transportation (total)
SC                   	0.15       	7.575         	(15Ć·100) Ɨ(1Ɨ50.5)%
TC                   	0.05       	2.625         	(5Ć·100) Ɨ(5Ɨ10.5)%
TCE                  	0       	0         	0 Ɨ0%
Formulae to generate end results from this with buy and sell prices are hopefully obvious.
Naturally, risk of a single bad loss is more important for small merchants who already have to pull their funds together than for those who can absorb losses and get to see the averages via their ledgers in the long run.
In case someone crunching such things did not read Taleb yet.
Now it's more obvious why "cheaper" forms of magic travel are not too popular.

But those are caravans. Water travel is another category. I have seen no crunchy numbers on that yet.

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Aug 2021 07:57:24
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2021 :  19:53:46  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the part about diverters vs. enhancer is not being disputed.

Anyways, the last time this topic was brought up was in the scroll Trading and Magic.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  16:54:55  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several people here have tried to model this and other related issues such as population, goods, and economy many times.

In the end, the take away was that in no way is it possible to sustain that many people or that sort of economy in the land area given (Waterdeep being the case study).

In the end it's fantasy from the late medieval period, (smaller) communities were much much more self sufficient than our current ideas about economics, trade and market dynamics.

It's FANTASY. There is no actual plausible way that the areas in and around Waterdeep could sustain that many people with food, water, fuel, and definitely not at the wages and prices listed.

My point: Take what parts are interesting to you and find a way to make them valuable for your campaign uses. There will by necessity need to be some hand waving going on with other aspects.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  18:09:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's plausible; large cities like that existed in the real world, in times past. Part of the issue, though, is that we've never gotten a huge amount of information on things like agriculture, because the focus is kept on the more interesting aspects of the setting, like magic and dragons.

I'll agree that the wages and prices are wonky, though.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  20:35:26  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Part of the issue, though, is that we've never gotten a huge amount of information on things like agriculture, because the focus is kept on the more interesting aspects of the setting, like magic and dragons.
Actually, I'm 99.99% sure that the reason we haven't gotten that information is because the authors don't know how to create a sustainable economic model and would only embarrass themselves if they tried. Which, IMO, is completely fair. Not many people can do what they do (create an imaginative fantasy world); expecting them to be experts on medieval economies at the same time is a bit much.

Edited by - HighOne on 21 Aug 2021 23:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  04:05:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It likely is hard to even explain all factors of real world economics. Even today are talk about trends and expectations and then data reports actually being different then models predicted.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  19:42:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

There is no actual plausible way that the areas in and around Waterdeep could sustain that many people with food, water, fuel, and definitely not at the wages and prices listed.

Did those who who tinkered with this remember to take into account that "areas in and around Waterdeep" include:
- sea, from which most food probably comes, among the other things; and
- Undermountain, from which much waste heat may come, among the other... things, heh.
...even aside of being a trade port?

quote:

It likely is hard to even explain all factors of real world economics. Even today are talk about trends and expectations and then data reports actually being different then models predicted.

So? If a model repeatedly fails to predict, this model is worthless, try another. Kind of by definition.
If they all behave the same way due to being produced by the same economists - yes, there's a problem. But it's not a math problem.
Also, not "even". Those models try and fail to predict something rather unstable in practice.
Here the subject is finding the reasonable values for a system in dynamic equilibrium, not predicting what exactly happens when it's disturbed to the point of instability.

Edited by - TBeholder on 22 Aug 2021 19:48:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  20:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

quote:

Part of the issue, though, is that we've never gotten a huge amount of information on things like agriculture, because the focus is kept on the more interesting aspects of the setting, like magic and dragons.
Actually, I'm 99.99% sure that the reason we haven't gotten that information is because the authors don't know how to create a sustainable economic model and would only embarrass themselves if they tried. Which, IMO, is completely fair. Not many people can do what they do (create an imaginative fantasy world); expecting them to be experts on medieval economies at the same time is a bit much.

BINGO! Give that man the BIG cupie doll. Even professionals of economics in our world would have problems figuring out the economics of a fantasy world, because then they'd have to take into account numerous other factors. For instance, bags of holding are cheap as dirt to make? Well, then every merchant caravan would have a ton. An area needs water? Pay a child pennies to continuously activate a decanter of endless water. What's that do to other areas of the world? Who the hell knows. Need more widespread fighting of drought for crops? Summon a storm. Want to replant a forest? Get a bunch of seeds (like a wagon full of seeds) and pay a druid to do druidcraft on them at 6 seconds to sprout a seed.... pay 20 druids for a day and replant miles of forest land. Want cheap silk? Breed giant spiders.

Oh wait, edition change... how do the rule changes of magic totally change how the economics work this time?

To note, someone will come along and say that bags of holding aren't cheap as dirt and that magic is so rare only the elite can purchase it, and they'll probably point out how in 3rd edition you needed to be maybe 9th level in order to make one and they cost 2700 gp. The problem is... that's not the current edition. In 5e, they're an "uncommon" magic item, whose cost can be from 100 to 500 gold (making an uncommon item per the crafting rules of 5e is the maximum cost of 500 gold and requiring 20 days and only a 3rd level caster per page 129 of the 5e DMG). So, they are cheap in some editions, and if magic were that rare, then the price would be more. Its basic supply and demand. So, some things must be relatively easy to create, though they still require some effort and a trained individual. Still, there are probably some 3rd level retired wizards out there who make a living making bags of holding over and over.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Aug 2021 22:17:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  20:58:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

There is no actual plausible way that the areas in and around Waterdeep could sustain that many people with food, water, fuel, and definitely not at the wages and prices listed.

Did those who who tinkered with this remember to take into account that "areas in and around Waterdeep" include:
- sea, from which most food probably comes, among the other things; and
- Undermountain, from which much waste heat may come, among the other... things, heh.
...even aside of being a trade port?

Or Goldenfields, which is explicitly stated to provide "much of the food consumed in Waterdeep and the neighboring settlements"?

There's also the fact that there are going to be a lot of other farming communities and such near Waterdeep -- just because villages and small towns aren't shown on a map that rarely includes communities of less than a few thousand people, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  22:03:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it helps, i spent a while a few years back trying to extrapolate the cost of items in medieval england (and sometimes france) to the forgotten realms.

Unfortunately i dont have the source material with me anymore i do remember reading a lot of journals and things which had example prices, then i tried to convert those to dnd money.

There are a few odd ducks in there (the price of a bucket for instance), but it works for me as a whole. I decided to keep spellcasting with largely gp related spell components and costs so making a bag of holding for instance is not insanely cheap. If you compare it to medieval prices unskilled is coppers per day, professionals and merchants is sp per day. Nobles is gp per day. That is earnings without costs (which are usually 50% according to phb etc) so only the richest merchants or nobility could afford magic, and getting a magic item is something only the insanely rich can afford.

Item Cost
Materials (per lb)
Copper 5sp
Coal 1cp
Charcoal 1cp
Gunpowder 10sp
Gold 50sp
Iron 2sp
Marble 5sp
Stone 2cp
Timber 2cp
Silver 30sp
Bronze 7sp
Steel 20sp
Mithril 5gp
Adamantine 8gp
Textiles (per sq yard or pelt)
Cotton 8sp
Thin leather 20cp
Thick leather 3sp
Linen 1sp
Silk 10sp
Wool 3sp
Flax or Hemp 5cp
Fox pelt 3sp
Wolf pelt 4sp
Rabbit pelt 50cp
Food (per lb)
Beans 2cp
Chicken 5cp
Fruit 3cp
Coffee 1sp
Flour 1cp
Honey 1sp
Turnips 2cp
Wheat 2cp
Oats 20cp
Eggs 5cp
Spices (common, e.g. salt, pepper) 1sp
Spices (rare, e.g. cinnamon, saffron) 3sp
Herbs (common, e.g. garlic, mint, mustard) 20cp
Herbs (rare, e.g. basil, rosemary) 1sp
Bread 2cp
Cheese 1cp
Meal (poor) 5cp
Meal (common) 10cp
Meal (good) 1sp
Meal (fine) 20sp
Meal (banquet) 50sp
Rations (trail) 2cp
Fish 1cp
Drinks (per quart)
Ale (common) 1cp
Ale (best) 2cp
Mead 3cp
Wine (common) 2cp
Wine (good) 10cp
Milk 4cp
Beer 3cp
Animals (per animal)
Cattle 10sp
Chicken 10cp
Donkey 30sp
Duck 30cp
Goat 1sp
Pig 5sp
Sheep 1sp
War Horse 8gp
Horse 50sp
Clothing
Shoes (fine) 5cp
Shoes (average) 2cp
Shoes (poor) 1cp
Boots (fine) 10cp
Boots (average) 6cp
Hat (fine) 1sp
Hat (average) 10cp
Tunic (fine) 3sp
Tunic (average) 50cp
Tunic (poor) 5cp
Woolen garment (fine) 8sp
Fur lined garment 1gp
Services
Toll (per person) 1cp
Doctor (not including medicine) 1sp
Laundry 1sp
Lawyer (good) (per day) 3sp
Sage (per day) 15sp
Scribe (per day) 1sp
Teacher (per day) 20cp
Guide (per day) 1cp
Ferry/caravan ride (per day) 1cp
Guild joining fee 6sp
Wages (per day)
Knight 2sp
Man at arms, Squire 1sp
Army constable 1sp
Army mounted soldiers 1sp
Army archers 3cp
Army captain 5sp
Army drummer 20cp
Army infantry 10cp
Carpenter 5cp
Weaver 5cp
Armourer 80cp
Apprentice armourer 6cp
Thatcher 3cp
Labourer 2cp
Spellcasting (per spell level) 1gp
Manufactured Goods
Anvil 50sp
Spade 3cp
Chopping axe 5cp
Spinning wheel 10cp
Chisel 4cp
Hammer 8cp
Barge 10gp
Cart 4sp
Chariot 8gp
Silver spoon 1sp
Gold ring (simple) with ruby 26sp
Pearl necklace 20sp
Candles (per lb) 2cp
Barrel (small) 5cp
Bottle 4cp
Bucket 1cp
Table 6cp
Chair 3cp
Chest (small) 8cp
Brass pot 2sp
Manacles 30sp
Lock 10sp
Craftsman Tools 16sp
Profession Kit 5sp

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2021 :  22:08:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those that looked at Waterdeep clearly were aware of Goldenfields. It are only Thirty square miles and 5,000 residents. It is not stated how many farm of those. Traditional yields without magic tended to work out to an acre could feed one adult for a year. Under that calculation only about twelve thousand citizens of Waterdeep could be given food. After all the 5,000 at Goldenfields need to eat as well.

Clearly magic of Chauntea, however other then the statement that vast numbers of people are given food there is no explanation of how that much food produced.
It is hard to build a model of even a smaller temple being used in any place else. There is no mathematical data to work from.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2021 :  16:44:15  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
working from memory: someone did actually measure each available and open space in and around Waterdeep including Goldenfields. In the end, every single acre would need to be in food production, and even with Goldenfields, there would need to be incredibly high yields (ie impossible) on each and every farm to even begin to match the stated population numbers of Waterdeep and environs, and even then it still didn't work.

Some ways to hand wave this (think of modern day Singapore). Surrounding areas support plus much much more (passive) imports of food than what is typically talked about in the canon, and from further out (south) via ships.

Nearly everyone in Waterdeep would have to have a (roof) garden and rain cistern. Even the wells stated would not begin to service the number of people in the Canon.

This still doesn't explain the fuel situation. There is simply no plausible way to have that much coal, or firewood on hand for 3 cooking fires per household per day plus heating in the winter.

The numbers are quite insanely high.

....and that's OK. It's a fantasy world. It's very detailed, but there is no way it can model real life economics.

and that's OK!

Get creative with your players if they ask and turn it into a pseudo side quest (massive storage caverns under Mount Waterdeep). Secret trade tunnels with a little known dwarf hold in the Sword Mountains keeping a never ending supply of coal coming in.

etc.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2021 :  18:50:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some of those that looked at Waterdeep clearly were aware of Goldenfields. It are only Thirty square miles and 5,000 residents. It is not stated how many farm of those. Traditional yields without magic tended to work out to an acre could feed one adult for a year. Under that calculation only about twelve thousand citizens of Waterdeep could be given food. After all the 5,000 at Goldenfields need to eat as well.

Clearly magic of Chauntea, however other then the statement that vast numbers of people are given food there is no explanation of how that much food produced.
It is hard to build a model of even a smaller temple being used in any place else. There is no mathematical data to work from.

Not to start any arguments, and its obviously going to vary on editions, but "that's using the idea that planting is done in traditional methods". If Goldenfields is god blessed land, and its full of druids, all running around throwing seeds and doing druidcraft to make the seeds sprout immediately... things may grow a lot faster and they may be able to put out loads more per acre than we might understand. Because of this, there might be a lot more reverence for Chauntea by the citizens than what we picture (because I know some people are like "Chauntea... yawn").

For all we know too, the problems we have with using sewage containing human waste with the spreading of disease in crops might easily be eliminated with magic, and thus goldenfield might be sitting right next to a goldmine of manure from the sewers of Waterdeep.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2021 :  19:13:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

For all we know too, the problems we have with using sewage containing human waste with the spreading of disease in crops might easily be eliminated with magic, and thus goldenfield might be sitting right next to a goldmine of manure from the sewers of Waterdeep.

Heh, the little-known spell cleanse waste, sometimes referred to as poo-rify.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000