Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Epic Level Geopolitical Conflict (NEED HELP)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  08:25:48  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently running an epic level campaign for a party of 5-6 (schedule depending), and I've run into a bit of a creative rut in terms of executing my vision. To put it simply, I have intended for the high tier conflict the party must face in this campaign to be the discovery of 2-3 Mythallars in near workable condition. My initial thought was that organizations such as the War Wizards(of Cormyr), the Zhentarim, the Red Wizards, could feasibly bring a fair deal of mayhem and destruction to the world in persuit of this newly discovered magical capacity. What I'm having difficulty ascertaining is what the In-game mechanics of a Mythallar could be. Feel free to email me at itsjackdolan@gmail.com if you have any suggestions or just feel like riffing ideas on discord. Anything is greatly appreciated

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  10:16:43  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first question is when this campaign will take place?

Second, has the City of Shade returned to Faerun? There is one mythallar in workable condition. Rest assured the Shadvovar will not kindly part with theirs and will enter the fray when (not if) they find out your party is looking for 2 or 3 mythallars.They will not tolerate the competition. You may also drag in the Church of Shar.

Third, has the City of Opus returned to Faerun per the optional hook provided in Lost Empires of Faerun? There is another mythallar in working condition. Even if the inhabitants are somewhat nicer than the Shadovar, see my note about the City of Shade. You may drag in the Church of Selune.

Fourth, if the party is in eastern Faerun rummaging among ruins that happen to be the enclave of Jikisdur, they will attract Larloch's attention. He will want his possessions either returned to him or be left alone. Besides his personal power he has 60+ epic liches enslaved to him, any one of which matches Szass Tam in power.

Fifth, you will also be spied on by the Chosen of Mystra. How many Chosen there are depends upon the year the campaign takes place. Looking for just one mythallar will be viewed with suspicion. Looking for more will earn their opposition. Not that they want the party dead. More they want the party to cease and desist. Khelben and the Simbul aren't as nice as the others.

Sixth, the party will attract the unfavorable attention of Evereska and Evermeet. Even if your party can fend off the assassins and bladesingers sent its way, the PC's ultimately must reckon with High Mages who prefer reckless younglings of whatever race not mess up the Weave through stupidity. There are not as nice as (most) Chosen of Mystra.

Seventh, the phaerimm will consider such a search as an act of war against them. They are hateful and sadistic anyway, but it is even worse when they designate a particular target for priority elimination. Remember, it was the phaerimm who brought down Netheril and created the Desert of Anauroch in the first place.

Eigth, expect serious opposition from dragons, whether chromatic, gem or metallic. They won't appreciate any two-legged vermin trying to amass that power. And yes, the older dragons keep sharp eyes on humanoid activity throughout the Realms.

Ninth, you may wake wake up Arthindol the Terraseer. He may be friendly or hostile. He will definitely be curious.

These entities can bring far more grief to your party than Cormyr and the Zhentarim. Unless you are deliberately running an epic campaign for Mary Sue's and Gary Stu's, expect the party to get brutally crushed in short order. Larloch of course could use a few more zombie janitors for domestic chores.

Edited by - Delnyn on 08 Jul 2021 10:27:50
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  10:37:42  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some mechanics of a mythallar, see its entry in Lost Empires of Faerun, page 198 for minor artifacts. Basically, in 3.5 edition terms, item creation required no XP no matter how powerful the item. The tradeoff is the item loses its powers beyond the boundaries of the mythallar range.
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  18:03:02  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

These entities can bring far more grief to your party than Cormyr and the Zhentarim. Unless you are deliberately running an epic campaign for Mary Sue's and Gary Stu's, expect the party to get brutally crushed in short order. Larloch of course could use a few more zombie janitors for domestic chores.

Thank you (unironically) for this metric boat load of information. The campaign takes place in 1494 DR, so I have a few questions about some of these adversarial interests.
1. I had assumed by this particular year the city of shade will have already crashed into Myth Drannor (unless I'm a scrublord and have it confused with something else). I'm aware of the fact that some Shadovar still remain after this disaster, but was not aware that they could still have a Mythallar.
2. I honestly have no knowledge of the City of Opus, (Again, I am scrublord) but I'll obviously be taking a thorough look through this old tome.
3. The party has made enemies of many lives throughout their many adventures, Larloch would be an excellent bigbad-esque figure to wrap that up.
4,5. this is definitely more of what I think the players will like as a conflict. Familiar friends become reluctant enemies.
6. Are the Phaerimm really STILL out there??
7. Are there any dragons in particular you believe would be most eager to act against the party in this conflict?
8. Currently building to the Terraseer as best and as subtly as I can.
Once again thank you for all of this, I'll likely be back with some sort of update/more questions.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  01:19:27  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vaughn Javreau

1. I had assumed by this particular year the city of shade will have already crashed into Myth Drannor (unless I'm a scrublord and have it confused with something else). I'm aware of the fact that some Shadovar still remain after this disaster, but was not aware that they could still have a Mythallar.

Well, you're right. By 1494, the Shadovar and the Church of Shar are greatly diminished and by no means a big player of the world, in the canon Realms.

They may be interested in a pair of Mythallars to recover some of their lost power, tho, but the Zhents and Cormyr will offer your players more challenge than these guys.

quote:

6. Are the Phaerimm really STILL out there??

Yeah, they are still out there. I don't know how they returned, but they returned and are an active threat to the realms by the 1490s.

quote:

7. Are there any dragons in particular you believe would be most eager to act against the party in this conflict?

Klauth (red dragon), Brimstone (vampiric smoke drake) and Larendrammagar (gold dragon) are the ones to come to my mind right now that might be interested in a pair of Mythallars.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  02:45:22  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe mix it up a bit. Given what mythallars are, instead of chromatic dragons, the party has gained the attentions of a great wyrm hex dragon with sorcerer levels, or even a time dragon.

Opposition from Mystra's chosen might force the party to consider allying themselves with alternatives, like Larloch or Aumvor or even the Twisted Rune, or even have backroom dealings with envoys from dark gods. Mystra might be trying to douse the fires her Chosen have set off in the meantime - maybe their antagonism is actively making things worse as her rivals and less-than-loyal underlings seek ways to profit from this mess at her expense?
Go to Top of Page

Vaughn Javreau
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  04:25:28  Show Profile Send Vaughn Javreau a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones
maybe their antagonism is actively making things worse as her rivals and less-than-loyal underlings seek ways to profit from this mess at her expense?

This is more the avenue I set out writing the adventure taking.
I had a thought that if this discovery were made public knowledge by way of a propaganda/information dissemination campaign, prospective and concurrent allies of a certain West Faerunian city could feasibly see the discovery of even ONE Mythallar being kept hidden from them as a Watergate-esque kind of scandal. People lose faith in a major world power, squabbling commences, something goes horribly wrong in a political sense, and the powers that be rush to take up arms and be the first to achieve a new level of industrial (or arcane i guess?) output. One of my players has been a Thayan plant since about level eight, so in my head it seems like it might be an interesting way to see multiple sides of this proposed (in my head) conflict.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2021 :  09:58:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds more like a free-for-all mess, not "Geopolitical Conflict"
If you want big political game, maybe use dedicated mechanics. Birthright's is setting specific, but there's Worlds Without Number (free beta includes the faction system).
Specifically in Realms the only area where such things are likely to roll on without turning into a stupid pileup of everyone vs. everyone is Border Kingdoms.
Outside the Realms, sky's not the limit. Including vanilla WWN.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2021 :  05:27:34  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with TBeholder. It does sound more like a free-for-all.

Where are the Mythallars located? Why should all of these factions even be aware of them?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000