Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Questions about realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Liandry
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  12:16:28  Show Profile Send Liandry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! I'm very interested in Forgotten Realms and this is my favorite fantasy universe. But I have very important question.
There is any technomagic or mechanical creatures in Forgotten Realms?

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  13:53:19  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I "think" there has been introduced gunpowder, but that's about it. WOTC seem to keep the realms pretty much away from Steampunk. Though if they did it would probably be laterally, via a dimension or a plane.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  14:31:52  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liandry

Hi! I'm very interested in Forgotten Realms and this is my favorite fantasy universe. But I have very important question.
There is any technomagic or mechanical creatures in Forgotten Realms?

Older sourcebooks, such as Drow of the Underdark, and Netheril or some of the other ancient empires, indicate that there was/is some level of "technomagic" in the Realms at varying times, yes. That being said, with the advent of 3rd edition WotC went through and effectively scrubbed it of the majority of those references. I am unsure offhand whether you'd find something in line with Expedition to the Barrier Peaks from Greyhawk.

Nowadays, you can still find some of those references here and there. Lantan probably has the most in that direction with their development of smokepowder. I say smokepowder because gunpowder doesn't work in the Realms, thanks to Gond doing something to (trying to remember off the top of my head without checking) alter the chemical reaction and make gunpowder not work - he saw too many of his followers and presumably mad scientist types blowing themselves up with it. Smokepowder functions similarly to gunpowder in virtually all respects, just with a different means of acquisition/creation, so you can have NPCs or player characters with firearms if you're going to go through the rigmarole of getting access to it. Jarlaxle in the 5e Dragon Heist adventure, for example, has a bunch of drow with him who are outright armed with revolvers and other guns, as well as a somewhat primitive submarine. Thay also uses it for big guns, and it is a banned substance in Waterdeep as of 5e.

No doubt others can give a more detailed answer than I can, but that's just a couple of examples.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Liandry
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  15:14:10  Show Profile Send Liandry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answers! I ask others, please share any info what you have. :)
Also second question. Can anyone please share link with full FR books list?
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  16:50:29  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Al-Qadim was famous for having clockwork mages. One of the Mad Mage Halaster's apprentices, Trobriand the Metal Mage, had a penchant for creating clockwork insectoid constructs as well.

And as already noted, Lantan.

That said, no gunpowder, just smokepowder, which is the magical equivalent. Gunpowder doesn't quite work properly in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  17:57:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also call Halruaan Skyships something akin to technomagic to a degree. I mean that in they had to have steering mechanisms, sailing mechanisms... it wasn't purely magic nor perfectly maneuvering, etc... like spelljamming

Study of constructs was a point for vremyonni of Rashemen.

At one point in the past, Mulhorand used sunstones (basically something like radioactive stones seemingly without the radiation) to create steam engines and they were using hydropower of some sort. The artificers of Mulhorand apparently had been studying technology, but the current ruler was suppressing the study.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  15:43:57  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also want to consider some gnome settlements and the Church of Gond for more clockwork/technology-based innovations.
Go to Top of Page

Liandry
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2021 :  13:51:43  Show Profile Send Liandry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for answers.
Please I still need list of novels. Maybe someone can share link?
Also can anyone make ;ist or share link to list of all races in Realms?
Please very need this info.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  08:21:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Liandry,

A pleasant morning to you! I hope this finds you well! :)

Here is a link to the Forgotten Realms bibliography from the Candlekeep site, and it was updated as of 22 Jan 2021:

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frbiblio.zip

quote:
Also can anyone make ;ist or share link to list of all races in Realms?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Races

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000