Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sword Coast Information.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drestegarn
Acolyte

Sweden
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  12:52:55  Show Profile Send Drestegarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any Boxed Sets detailing Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast in the era the first Baldur's Gate PC game is set?

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  14:58:33  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drestegarn

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any Boxed Sets detailing Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast in the era the first Baldur's Gate PC game is set?

There is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, which includes Baldur's Gate (among other things) in its material. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II covered Amn and Tethyr.

You could also look at the 2E era campaign setting books, which should have sections dealing with the region. Things like the 2E campaign setting obviously, but also Volo's Guide to the North, and the North.

It's also worth noting that a lot of the lore books you could find and read in the libraries of BG1 and BG2 were (quite literally) lifted straight from FR publications of the period in a straight cut and paste job. I think it was particularly noticeable with the book on the Chosen of Mystra:

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/History_of_the_Chosen_of_Mystra

If you notice the "(See "Powers" below.)" quote, that gives it away just a bit thanks to the editing SNAFU.

In the more unofficial areas (so to speak), there is a product on the DM's Guild titled Heroes of Baldur's Gate that may take your interest. It's written by one of the original writers of the BG series (James Ohlen), and is set in the same area as BG1 while also using maps, locations, and NPCs from the game. It includes a lot of - in my opinion - excellent art of the characters for using them in the adventure that the book contains, as well.

But importantly for you, along with that adventure it has a gazetteer of the region "as the game" set a year after CHARNAME, or Gorion's Ward (or Abdel Adrian if you must), defeated Sarevok and ended the Iron Crisis. The gazetteer is based specifically on the Sword Coast and FR as depicted in BG1, which might make it exactly what you're looking for.

Link to it here: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5e

EDIT: I have also, on a very quick Google, come across this:

https://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/files/SwordCoastSurvivalGuide.pdf

It's free and contains an overview of the region, again as presented in the games. (I am attempting to focus on things that reflect the games where possible, since you mentioned that in your post.)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 28 Jun 2021 15:29:05
Go to Top of Page

Drestegarn
Acolyte

Sweden
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  15:48:02  Show Profile Send Drestegarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. "The North" any chance you have the TSR number on it or a link to DMs guild?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  16:25:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR 1142 - the north

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Drestegarn
Acolyte

Sweden
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  19:12:49  Show Profile Send Drestegarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sleyvas, Ill check it out!
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  20:54:44  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I'm interested in a particular FR region or subject, I check the References section of the corresponding FR Wiki article, which almost always contains the most relevant sources. The article for Baldur's Gate, for example, includes many citations for Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Descent into Avernus, and Murder in Baldur's Gate. Those are probably good places to start if you were looking for general information, but for 2E-era-specific lore, I'd stick to the first one (Volo's Guide).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  21:06:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR5 Savage Frontier covers the coast, though the focus is north of Waterdeep, and most of the material in it was duplicated in The North boxset.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  23:05:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Whenever I'm interested in a particular FR region or subject, I check the References section of the corresponding FR Wiki article, which almost always contains the most relevant sources. The article for Baldur's Gate, for example, includes many citations for Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Descent into Avernus, and Murder in Baldur's Gate. Those are probably good places to start if you were looking for general information, but for 2E-era-specific lore, I'd stick to the first one (Volo's Guide).

That's a pretty good point, because I do the same thing whenever I'm hunting something that I may have read 20 years back.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000